Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans sign QB Jeff Driskel

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted.

250K signing bonus.

Does that mean Finley will be gone comes the day of the ax?

It’s on now

giphy.gif

This is either usless or genius...

..... depends on the state you believe in our line.

IF you believe the line is a liability.... you should know we will need a plethora of QBs.

If you believe our line is impenetrable then... yeah.... this can only be for competition for the position at best

I was going to post it but a few members seem to have an issue with these type of threads clogging up the forum.

Can’t talk about new players in the transaction thread and can’t start a thread about new players. Only Texas Talk.

Why do you trade a pick for the guy from Bengals if you are going to sign basically the same type of journeyman in Driskell?

Much like the last regime, Caserio doesn’t seem to care about draft picks a whole lot. How many has he given away already?

Taylor should not be a starter? Taylor has carved out a very good career. He also has a win/loss % in the positive.

Taylor will be the starter, until Mills is. The other two are camp fodder. I don't think Mills is intended to start right away, but we'll see. August is a long ways away right now.

Can’t talk about new players in the transaction thread and can’t start a thread about new players. Only Texas Talk.

Much like the last regime, Caserio doesn’t seem to care about draft picks a whole lot. How many has he given away already?

I give up. How many?

:coffee:

We got four QBs now, none of whom should be starting in the NFL, but one of them will. And probably several of them before the season is over with. It'll be an adventure. LOL
I liked Driskel as a late round flyer back in the day. At this point I think we should be looking for the next Rich Gannon & not the next Dak Prescott.

The mods has approved it so yes you can.

I refuse to watch Taylor play. If our 3 rd pick aint in I'm out. Its called the red zone channel.

Come on, how many of you gonna have Taylor on your fantasy team? Lol

Taylor is a game manager at best. He needs a good running game and defense to be effective and he is on the wrong team if he think this is the place to do that.

After analyzing a bit more... Most NFL training camps have 4 QBs at least for the minicamp portion. The “camp arm” if you will. Hopefully this means Covid restrictions are loosened up and more live reps can be distributed.

The best thing about this signing imo is that we can see a template emerge as far as what type of QB Culley/Caserio want:

Finley, Mills and Driskel are all at least 6’4”. Tyrod is 6’1” and the most athletic of the bunch. But I believe we can all agree he was brought in for 1 year only as a bridge QB.

The 3 youngsters all have serviceable mobility with Driskel coming the closest to Tyrod in athleticism running a 4.56 40 coming out and gaining 50 yards rushing in one of his NFL starts.

They all have enough arm strength needed to make all the throws, though they don’t have absolute cannons to fit into the tightest of windows. They are all big, athletic enough and can threaten with their legs in a play action heavy offense.

Hopefully Culley/Pep can coach them up.

I think the brass hope that TT plays the entire season.

History says that is not too likely, so we have to find our second option.

Things will shake out by the end of training camp. May the best man (QB) win.

My guess, 1. TT, 2. Driskel 3. Mills. PS: QB not currently on the team.

:coffee:

There's a decent chance Finley or Driskel will start the season as QB2 based solely on having the experience. I can't see that falling on the 3rd round rook early on, unless of course, he shines in camp. Find out who you like better and go with that dude.

Exactly, I expect to see Driskel as QB 2. And Mills as QB3. Unless he has a great showing in preseason and TC. I still don't see us carrying 4 QBs and if Watson is not gone (seeing articles about him settling...sets up a trade) we have 5.

Tyrod may be the one canned before the season starts. Can't have some, "wish he was Michael Vick" mfr out there trying to win games.

None of the four QBs we have right now is starter material, with the *possible* exception of Mills and it's way to soon to pronounce judgement on him.

Right now you just need serviceable/decent until Mills is ready to go. Or Watson get off his high horse, serve his suspension and honors his contract with the Texans.

Watson will never take another snap as a Texan. Even if he's cleared of everything. Let's go ahead and put to that to bed.

Who said Tyrod was all that anyways.

I don't know. You tell me. I was just making the point that if he starts it doesn't mean they still aren't in line for a high draft pick.

Watson will never take another snap as a Texan. Even if he's cleared of everything. Let's go ahead and put to that to bed.

I don't know. You tell me. I was just making the point that if he starts it doesn't mean they still aren't in line for a high draft pick.

That’s the thing none of know if he will or not. It’s pure speculation.

If he starts and performs pretty good, it’s a very good chance they won’t be drafting a quarterback high. They will probably go dog on the defensive line or wide receiver.

That’s the thing none of know if he will or not. It’s pure speculation.

If he starts and performs pretty good, it’s a very good chance they won’t be drafting a quarterback high. They will probably go dog on the defensive line or wide receiver.
Like many others signed this off-season, Taylor is on a one year deal. If he plays well above expectations, he's probably going to cost more than the Texans are going to be able to pay...especially if they're still paying for Watson. Add to that, Mills won't see much meaningful playing time this season if Taylor exceeds expectations.

The Texans are in a ridiculous situation, partly of their own making and partly due to Watson's legal woes and wanting out of Houston.

The thing that concerns me, the Texans appear to be operating in much the same way they did when O'Brien was here. And pretty soon we're going to start reading how enamored they are in all these quarterbacks and how fortunate we should all feel about the direction the Texans are heading.

Now I've been reading from some here how glad they are that the Texans have signed these crummy quarterbacks because it spells an end to Watson. From a shear talent perspective, the Texans quarterback position has gone from top 5 to not even top 32. The predicted starters for the Texans at the QB position don't even rival the top back-ups in the league. That's nothing to be happy about.

The last two off-season's have been disastrous for the Texans. And as far as I can tell, it's business as usual on Kirby. Driskel is just more evidence that the Texans don't have a clue as to what they're doing, so they're just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

The predicted starters for the Texans at the QB position don't even rival the top back-ups in the league. That's nothing to be happy about.

remember that guy the Seahawks paid before they decided Wilson was going to be their starter? Or how much Nick Foles has made being “that guy” or...

Who did you want the Texans to bring in? Who would prove the Texans “have a clue”

relevance

So we traded a 6th round pick for the rights to cut a guy before camp even starts? Not that I'm tripping over a 6th round pick, but still.. Just goes to show you how Watson's actions caused the Front Office QB plan (instantly changing entire team plan) to be so be so upside down at the time.

I don't see how anyone can pass judgement on this G.M or H.C. this season. Just like us.. Houdini pulled a rug out from underneath them at the absolute worst time possible. Wasn't hard.. I heard it was really a bath sized towel that was very slippery to begin with. :)

Last edited:
So we traded a 6th round pick for the rights to cut a guy before camp even starts? Not that I'm tripping over a 6th round pick, but still.. Just goes to show you how Watson's actions caused the Front Office QB plan (instantly changing entire team plan) to be so be so upside down at the time.

I don't see how anyone can pass judgement on this G.M or H.C. this season. Just like us.. Houdini pulled a rug out from underneath them at the absolute worst time possible. Wasn't hard.. I heard it was really a bath sized towel that was very slippery to begin with. :)
Actually it was the difference in value between our sixth and Denver’s seventh plus his brief value as a contingency plan until unforeseen options would reveal themselves. Looking back, as a product of our “society” he had an extreme naivety of power and popularity as a superstar sports figure that can use people without guilt or retribution. If the NFL doesn’t stop this stereotype now it’s only going to get worse for them IMHO. Guilty of crimes? Certainly guilty of power abuse and other things he’s probably blamed others for doing.

Back