Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Select 3.98 TE Jordan Akins UCF

ound 3, No. 98 overall: Jordan Akins, TE, UCF
My take: The Texans needed a blocking tight end after the retirement of C.J. Fiedorowicz, but according to coach Bill O’Brien, the value Akins “brings in the passing game is very important” to Houston. Akins caught 32 passes for 515 yards and four touchdowns while starting 11 games at Central Florida. Akins has size at 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds, and said he feels he’s improving as a blocker. Still, his biggest contribution should in the passing game; Akins should help the unit that caught only 53 percent of its targets last season, which was the worst in the NFL. The Texans’ tight ends, who dealt with injuries all season, finished tied for last in the league with a combined two receiving touchdowns.

How he fits: O’Brien and the Texans’ coaching staff got a good look at Akins while coaching him during the Senior Bowl in January and said his work ethic and ability in the passing game stood out. The Texans have two other tight ends on the roster -- Ryan Griffin and former undrafted free agent Stephen Anderson -- but Akins should compete for playing time in training camp. Adding Akins gives QB Deshaun Watson another weapon, and any time the Texans can improve his arsenal is a positive for this offense.

http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-texans

I don't have my expectations that high for this year either but I feel like the potential is there for lightning in a bottle. I'm saving my hopes of being the real deal for next year assuming Watson stays healthy.

And Watson IS good. But He's coming off injury with a suspect line. A bad run game and bad coaching. Hopkins is the only threat. Special teams aren't and have never been special. Defense is counting on stars coming off injury.

All while the jags, tits, and colts get better. This is a 5 win team purely because of Watson. Implosion is inevitable. Next year around now We'll be wondering how the new coach handles things.

John Harris noticed him in his Senior Bowl observations a few times:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...wl-Day-2/e57cd4ad-979e-4066-ae54-a6d8b7738d0d

21. One guy who stood out for the South squad today was tight end Jordan Akins (UCF). He made the catch of the day on a throw from Mike White (Western Kentucky) for a touchdown. He had a safety draped all over him as he was right at the goal line and White threw it where only Akins could have any chance of catching it. Akins stuck out his right paw and snatched the throw for a touchdown. I’m not sure there was any other play that got “oohs and ahhs” from the assembled masses at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

29. Quarterback Mike White (Western Kentucky) found tight end Jordan Akins (UCF) for another touchdown on play action later in practice. Akins crossed the formation and no one went with him as White found him wide open 15 yards downfield. Akins then sprinted past me into the end zone untouched.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...wl-Day-3/335bfa40-e3b4-46ea-9b90-6fe9893ed05e

14. One guy I haven’t mentioned much from the South squad is tight end Ian Thomas (Indiana). He’s built like a true Y-tight end and has some decent hands in the passing game as well. Jordan Akins (UCF) is one heck of a pass catcher too. I was watching the offensive line and defensive line go after it on one end of the field, but I could see the tight ends making plays on goal line 7-on-7; Thomas and Akins made a few plays.

That's funny coming from you .... :corrosion:

Maybe this is the new OD.

Kubiak did really well with the players from the Sr Bowl when he 1st started, My point is they got a better chance to evaluate these guys than we did,

I actually liked Atkins, he looked pretty good last yr. However for the record I would've picked Crosby/Richardson here.

Last edited:
Maybe this is the new OD.

Kubiak did really well with the players from the Sr Bowl when he 1st started, My point is they got a better chance to evaluate these guys than we did,

I actually liked Atkins, he looked pretty good last yr. However for the record I would've picked Richardson here.

And kubiak went from 12-4 to something like 2-14 in one season no?

And Watson IS good. But He's coming off injury with a suspect line. A bad run game and bad coaching. Hopkins is the only threat. Special teams aren't and have never been special. Defense is counting on stars coming off injury.

All while the jags, tits, and colts get better. This is a 5 win team purely because of Watson. Implosion is inevitable. Next year around now We'll be wondering how the new coach handles things.
I have similar concerns about the O-line, pass rush, ST's and coaching. I think there's a good chance my coaching concerns could be relieved this year if we see improved ST's play, better clock management and the offense running close to what it was w/ Watson running the show last year. BOB's got some experience under his belt and if he's legit -- we should see it on the field this year. I don't think that we're going to have the pass rush or O-line play to be an elite team this year though (hoping I'm wrong about this). I think that by next year, we could add those missing pieces, but there's still a chance that everything goes right this year.

I have similar concerns about the O-line, pass rush, ST's and coaching. I think there's a good chance my coaching concerns could be relieved this year if we see improved ST's play, better clock management and the offense running close to what it was w/ Watson running the show last year. BOB's got some experience under his belt and if he's legit -- we should see it on the field this year. I don't think that we're going to have the pass rush or O-line play to be an elite team this year though (hoping I'm wrong about this). I think that by next year, we could add those missing pieces, but there's still a chance that everything goes right this year.

Sounds very very optimistic. You - most, sound oblivious to the very real chance at s 5-6 win season.

More of a receiver. Blocking needs work. Former WR and is considered a hybrid TE/Wideout. Good movement skills, soft hands, can catch the ball smootly in full stride, adjust for off target throws, effective on crossing routes. Did not work out at combine because of knee injury. 6’-3”, 245. We got a receiver not a blocker.

He missed all but 2 games his sophomore year (2015) for what was reported to be a "knee injury." In fact, it was a right ACL rupture which required surgery. He wore a brace for the 2016 season, a season which still saw non elite performance as he tried to complete rehab and build muscle for his transition from WR to TE. His refraining from running at the Combine was not due to his knee, but rather because of a hamstring injury.

Sounds very very optimistic. You - most, sound oblivious to the very real chance at s 5-6 win season.
I'm agnostic about this year -- not optimistic. I'd say that the odds are similar for only winning 5-6 and winning 11-12 -- not likely. I'm pegging hopes on next year and think we'll still see some exciting football this year if we have a healthy Watson.

He missed all but 2 games his sophomore year (2015) for what was reported to be a "knee injury." In fact, it was a right ACL rupture which required surgery. He wore a brace for the 2016 season, a season which still saw non elite performance as he tried to complete rehab and build muscle for his transition from WR to TE. His refraining from running at the Combine was not due to his knee, but rather because of a hamstring injury.

Awww man when I seen it was you on the alert. I knew you were dropping the hammer. Dang, hopefully he holds up on the NFL.

I'm agnostic about this year -- not optimistic. I'd say that the odds are similar for only winning 5-6 and winning 11-12 -- not likely. I'm pegging hopes on next year and think we'll still see some exciting football this year if we have a healthy Watson.

I agree. Watson will be fun to watch. But we cannot sustain success by blowing mid round picks.

I've already laid out reasons for failure.

Qb coming off injury
Ol
Mediocre run game
1 downfild threat
Bad coaching
Bad special teams
A defense filled with injurys
Improving division teams

And kubiak went from 12-4 to something like 2-14 in one season no?

That's what happen when your quarterback is physically and then mentally broken.

Worst part is that we all knew that lis franc injury was the end of Schaub and Tricky Rick didn't .... never made an any real attempt to solidify the position just a bunch of mid to late round picks and has been or never was free agents between the acquisition of Schaub and The Blundering Wizard of Oz who was a total train wreck.

It's apparent that O'Brien really wanted this player. O'Brien has demonstrated in the past that he's willing to overpay to get the player he wants (Will Fuller), and his plans don't care about anyone's draft grade.

My take: We've never had a 250+ lbs player who glides around a football field like a figure skater.

That doesn't look like a Steven Anderson clone to me. He has abnormal body control for that size, and his frame naturally deflects punishment. Look at the hit he absorbs at 2:30 in the video. He struts off while the defender lies injured on the field. He's going to be the guy running crossing routes and taking the hits over the middle instead of Hopkins.

The age is a knock, but having already been a professional for four years, he'll ramp faster than your typical 22 year old rookie. Think about your aptitudes as a 22 year old college graduate vs a 26 year old with world experience. He could contribute early.

I wanted Ian Thomas when our pick came up but what makes me OK with this pick is that the Texans coached BOTH Akins and Thomas side by side at the Senior Bowl and decided Akins was the better fit for what they want to do. OB said he was reinventing the offense and it looks like he's going to be bringing more of Watson's Clemson concepts judging by the types of player we've brought in. They spent a week with the guy, not a normal predraft visit, and decided he's the guy they want. And i'm excited to see him stretch the seam like we haven't seen since OD was here.

Last edited:
I only saw glowing reports about Akins in the scouting community. He was trending up the more people were exposed to him. For my part, from what I've seen the guy is a plus player as a receiver and runner. One of the best in this draft in that specific area.

I'm not going to pretend I had him as a 3rd rounder. I'd say most had him in the 5th due to age, injury history, and lack of blocking ability.

I prefer my TEs to be more well rounded but there is no denying this guy is very skilled. You just won't ask him to do a whole lot and play to his strengths. It's very clear that the Texans were targeting a specific skill set at TE. If they wanted a guy that can run and catch they found him.

I wanted Ian Thomas when our pick came up but what makes me OK with this pick is that the Texans coached BOTH Akins and Thomas side by side at the Senior Bowl and decided Thomas was the better fit for what they want to do. OB said he was reinventing the offense and it looks like he's going to be bringing more of Watson's Clemson concepts judging by the types of player we've brought in. They spent a week with the guy, not a normal predraft visit, and decided he's the guy they want. And i'm excited to see him stretch the seam like we haven't seen since OD was here.

You mean Akins? :)

I think the staff was bothered by the fact that while Anderson is a good receiver, if he comes in the game, it's clear that they'r passing. Akins has improved his blocking ability and has the H/W to make teams at least prepare for the run. (Height/Weight)

Also, not to be rude but if you're comparing Akins to Stephen Anderson you have no idea what you're doing.
Anderson was a 220 lb slot in an Air Raid that ran about four different routes.

Akins is a 250 lb TE that played actual TE and appears to run the entire route tree from that position. He has a clean release even when shaded by a DE or LB, he's not a great blocker but he can chip and then get out on his way.

I've been doing homework on him all morning and I'm seeing him as our #2 TE day one with a clear ceiling advantage over Griffin. He'll never be a true Y so you'll have to be creative but this guy can play.

Also, not to be rude but if you're comparing Akins to Stephen Anderson you have no idea what you're doing.
Anderson was a 220 lb slot in an Air Raid that ran about four different routes.

Akins is a 250 lb TE that played actual TE and appears to run the entire route tree from that position. He has a clean release even when shaded by a DE or LB, he's not a great blocker but he can chip and then get out on his way.

I've been doing homework on him all morning and I'm seeing him as our #2 TE day one with a clear ceiling advantage over Griffin. He'll never be a true Y so you'll have to be creative but this guy can play.

Same here. I've been trying to either get excited or hate the pick.

I'm actually excited.

Thanks for the update.

That's what happen when your quarterback is physically and then mentally broken.

Worst part is that we all knew that lis franc injury was the end of Schaub and Tricky Rick didn't .... never made an any real attempt to solidify the position just a bunch of mid to late round picks and has been or never was free agents between the acquisition of Schaub and The Blundering Wizard of Oz who was a total train wreck.
We have the decided advantage of CnD's opinion with injuries. I really wish the Texans did also.

It's apparent that O'Brien really wanted this player. O'Brien has demonstrated in the past that he's willing to overpay to get the player he wants (Will Fuller), and his plans don't care about anyone's draft grade.

My take: We've never had a 250+ lbs player who glides around a football field like a figure skater.

That doesn't look like a Steven Anderson clone to me. He has abnormal body control for that size, and his frame naturally deflects punishment. Look at the hit he absorbs at 2:30 in the video. He struts off while the defender lies injured on the field. He's going to be the guy running crossing routes and taking the hits over the middle instead of Hopkins.

The age is a knock, but having already been a professional for four years, he'll ramp faster than your typical 22 year old rookie. Think about your aptitudes as a 22 year old college graduate vs a 26 year old with world experience. He could contribute early.
Nice sensible assessment.
I will be watching him with keen interest.
Imo, dude should be able to learn to block well enough to give DW4 that extra split second on certain packages.

Honestly, with Watson and going to B.Ob “New Offense” which is Clemson’s “Old Offense” with more Inside zones to stay true to form, a blocking TE isn’t as necessary. A move TE / H Back is more prevalent for the run actions and play fakes.

Akins excelled in the flat off playaction and up the seam on playaction, both huge voids with teams scheming Watson. Good pick because we have Watson. With other QBs, ehhhhhh.
Where did Ti get this information that bob is going to “Clemson’s old offense”?

Now that people have had a chance to sit down and take a look, he looks pretty impressive. His age is the one knock.
Only knock? Lol he’ll be 30 years old when he gets his second contract. If he even gets one. Sure theres a chance Watson will make him look good because the guy can catch and run but this was a reach by any standard. There were better prospects available and this guy could of been had later. Way later!

Hope his blocking improves since it's an integral part of the position in this system. If I'm being honest I was hoping for Dalton Schultz . A great blocker, 3 inches taller, all academic guy .. but I can see the allure af the offensive physical gifts Atkins brings, and he can get better as a blocker. I'm happy we have a TE prospect finally after the post Snake Dick drought.

Mostly because of the high incidence of injuries, the average career in the NFL is about 3 1/2 years. So, no, age is not nearly as important. If they can get 6 or 7 years out of him, that would be well worth the pick.

Mostly because of the high incidence of injuries, the average career in the NFL is about 3 1/2 years. So, no, age is not nearly as important. If they can get 6 or 7 years out of him, that would be well worth the pick.

Yeah it's the NFL... how many guys play 10 years now much less with the same team? Plus he's plenty athletic. Not worried about him already being maxed out athletically. On the plus side he has pro sports experience. Don't think he is going to have that adjustment period these younger prospects will have where they have to learn how to be a professional athlete. This guy is going to produce day 1.

Hayden Hurst went first round and he's same age. I take his age as a positive, not a negative.

Where did Ti get this information that bob is going to “Clemson’s old offense”?

Being facetious. I have a love hate opinion of BOb. He’s not my favorite coach, but we could have far worse.

I have no “inside knowledge” per se. However, what we all saw Watson excel at last year was the spread formations he was familiar with at Clemson. Watson excels at rhythm throws and quick reads that take what the defense gives immediately or improvising once said quick read is played correctly by the defense.

Give BOb credit for recognizing Watson’s strengths. My theory is BOb had a whole offseason to sit with Watson, watch what he excelled at in his short time in the NFL and then also analyze three years of championship level football at Clemson while having daily conversations with Watson. The offense will look like Clemson simply because if BOb is to earn his pay, the offense will be “created” through Watson’s skillset and his relaying what he likes to BOb and staff. What he likes and excels at, I watched Clemson run to two straight title games.

Give BOb credit. He told everyone he runs a multiple scheme. His scheme has looked somewhat different every year depending on who he “thinks” is the best man for the job. He sometimes misses the best man part, but he does try to scheme for player strengths. Many Texans fans in general are too jaded to BOb to see some nuanced changes he makes each year depending on his roster. That doesn’t go for everyone here, as this board is full of many knowledgeable posters, in my opinion.

Yall have to realize the young man was a wide receiver at first. Then his coach moved him to TE. It will take some time for him to get use to his blocking assignments let alone knowing how to do the entire job as a TE. That is why he got low grades in that area.

Last edited:
I feel better about this 3rd round pick than I have about almost any of Rick Smith's 3rd round picks. And this guy has impressive moves on film. If he is a willing blocker and can improve that part of his game, this is a steal.

I feel better about this 3rd round pick than I have about almost any of Rick Smith's 3rd round picks. And this guy has impressive moves on film. If he is a willing blocker and can improve that part of his game, this is a steal.

Not happy. Sell.

Not happy. Sell.

At this stage of the draft, I'd rather they take a chance on a guy than try to make a safe pick. There aren't really any safe picks at the back end of the third round and later, usually. I'm fine with the risk and won't bash them for taking him even if he's a bust.

Texans also have a couple of TE's on the roster already who will be competing for a roster spot this season. Conque and Robinson. Conque is a big QB turned TE and Robinson is a 6-8 former basketball player who runs a 4.4-40 and possesses a 40"+ vertical. Robinson could be an amazing weapon who might have developed quite a bit over the past season. This guy could be the future Red Zone target we've all been looking for.

Yall have to realize the young man was a wide receiver at first. Then his coach moved him to TE. It will take some time for him to get use to his blocking assignments let alone knowing how to do the entire job as a TE. That is why he got low grades in that area.

Are you sure? I read he was a backup TE that had to play outside to get game time?

Are you sure? I read he was a backup TE that had to play outside to get game time?

I'm positive.

http://ucfknights.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=357

Biography
SENIOR (2017)
• Earned First Team all-conference accolades from the American Athletic Conference
• Named to the John Mackey Award Preseason Watch List, honoring the nation's top tight ends
• Appeared in and started 12 games
• Notched 515 yards and four touchdowns on 32 catches, all career highs
• Averaged 16.1 yards per reception and 42.9 yards per game
• Twice made season-high touchdown catches of 48 yards this season in the ECU (10/14) and Memphis (12/2) games
• FIU 8/31: Opened the year with a pair of receptions for 45 yards and one touchdown
• Maryland 9/23: Snagged three passes to total 57 yards and a score
• ECU 10/14: Recorded one touchdown and 52 yards on two receptions
• SMU 11/4: Had a season-high five catches
• USF in the War on I-4 11/24: Caught four passes for 42 yards
• Memphis in The American Championship Game 12/2: Set a season high with 66 yards on four receptions, including a season-long touchdown catch

JUNIOR (2016)
• Played in 13 games, starting seven at tight end
• Third on the team with 23 receptions and 347 yards receiving
• Tied for second in receiving touchdowns with two
• Led all Knights who caught double digit passes with 15.1 yards per reception
• Maryland 9/17: Had two catches for 79 yards, including a 71-yard haul
• FIU 9/24: Totaled three receptions for 45 yards and a touchdown
• Temple 10/15: Caught two passes for 39 yards
• UConn 10/22: Tied season high with five catches for 54 yards and a touchdown
• Tulsa 11/19: Totaled 17 yards on two receptions
• USF 11/26: Matched season high with five catches for 47 yards

SOPHOMORE (2015)
• Opened the year as a starting wide receiver, kick returner and punt returner, but was injured on the opening kickoff vs. Furman
• In two games, combined for 14 receptions, 152 yards and two scores
• Ran back six kickoffs for 149 yards, and two punts for 15 yards
• FIU 9/3: Delivered nine catches for 104 yards and two touchdowns
• Stanford 9/12: Had five receptions for 48 yards, as well as five kick returns for 119 yards including a long of 44 yards

Back