Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Select 3.98 TE Jordan Akins UCF

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Pasting from the draft thread:

Zierlein said that Akins stood out on film for his ability to get separation. If you're rating a TE based on the combined package of blocking and receiving, it's not a surprise he ranks low.

zshawn10

All Pro
Gaine says #Texans feel like they filled positions of need (S, OL, TE) and selected best players available with their 3 third-round picks tonight. Didn't have to decide between one or the other on the draft board.

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) April 28, 2018

GM Brian Gaine & HC Bill O'Brien now at podium.
"Tonight was a good night for the Houston Texans."

— Drew Dougherty (@DoughertyDrew) April 28, 2018

https://twitter.com/mccauley318/status/990063577926074368

Pff likes him

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/990062361947058176

https://twitter.com/PFF_Fantasy/status/990062024150470656

Drew Dougherty ✔ @DoughertyDrew

O'Brien: we coached TE Jordan Akins in Sr Bowl. Like him a lot there. Excited we had an opportunity to go get him.

7:57 PM - Apr 27, 2018

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
I guess he has potential to develop more than most having spent so much time playing baseball.

How similiar to Anderson is he??

Number19

Hall of Fame
More of a receiver. Blocking needs work. Former WR and is considered a hybrid TE/Wideout. Good movement skills, soft hands, can catch the ball smootly in full stride, adjust for off target throws, effective on crossing routes. Did not work out at combine because of knee injury. 6’-3”, 245. We got a receiver not a blocker.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
More of a receiver. Blocking needs work. Former WR and is considered a hybrid TE/Wideout. Good movement skills, soft hands, can catch the ball smootly in full stride, adjust for off target throws, effective on crossing routes. Did not work out at combine because of knee injury. 6’-3”, 245. We got a receiver not a blocker.
Gotta get a blocker later in the draft.

JWLCASPER

Waterboy
Gotta get a blocker later in the draft.
Honestly, with Watson and going to B.Ob “New Offense” which is Clemson’s “Old Offense” with more Inside zones to stay true to form, a blocking TE isn’t as necessary. A move TE / H Back is more prevalent for the run actions and play fakes.

Akins excelled in the flat off playaction and up the seam on playaction, both huge voids with teams scheming Watson. Good pick because we have Watson. With other QBs, ehhhhhh.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Just watched....Good athlete, fluid athlete.

I’ll predict that he’ll be different than any TE the Texans have ever fielded in that he has some run after catch potential.

He caught the ball and was able to make guys miss and get extra yardage.

They even threw him a couple bubble screens and let him go make a play. Looks like he’ll be able to attack all areas of the field.

zshawn10

All Pro
ESPN: Akins, 25, pursued a professional baseball career after high school. He projects as a flex tight end with the skills to make an immediate impact as a situational receiver but needs to make strides as a blocker to play a bigger role.

Rotoworld: Texans selected UCF TE Jordan Akins with the No. 98 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft. Akins (6’3/249) will be a rare 26-year-old rookie after taking up football following a four-year minor-league career with the Texas Rangers. Akins played wideout and kickoff returner his first two years at UCF before converting to tight end and starting his final two seasons, graduating with a 79/1,093/13.8/8 career receiving line. Although Akins is a standout all-around athlete, his lack of college dominance at such an advanced age and well below-par blocking are significant red flags. Akins would do well to carve out a Richard Rodgers-like career.

CBS Sports: (B) They take a pass-catching tight end who will help Deshaun Watson. | Older prospect with plus athleticism and ability to catch the ball outside his frame. Yards-after-the-catch abilities are impressive. Split out tight end only in the NFL

SI: Jordan Akins | TE | UCF
Scouting Report: Akins is a quality athlete who won’t blow the doors off with his speed, but he has enough twitch, body control and natural feel to create separation. He gets off the line quickly and has enough speed to at least threaten up the seam, but he should be able to shake linebackers at the intermediate level. He’s a tough runner on shorter catch-and-run plays as well. He does little as a blocker and will essentially be a big slot receiver at the next level. He’s also 26 years old, and likely has little growth left as an athlete.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Honestly, with Watson and going to B.Ob “New Offense” which is Clemson’s “Old Offense” with more Inside zones to stay true to form, a blocking TE isn’t as necessary. A move TE / H Back is more prevalent for the run actions and play fakes.

Akins excelled in the flat off playaction and up the seam on playaction, both huge voids with teams scheming Watson. Good pick because we have Watson. With other QBs, ehhhhhh.
I like the pick

But having a good blocking TE that can go up and get the ball in the redzone is kind of a big thing to me.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
That rings true. Plus, a blocking TE can be found later, if they want to go with that. My problem is, did they really have to take Akins at 3.98?

Wolfiegrrl

Fan of NFC Seahawks & AFC Texans
Joppru was at the Senior Bowl. The Texans staff know exactly what they are getting here.

Just a flashback from an old Texan fan.
That was from two different coaches and gms ago. I don't think the age will be an issue.

JWLCASPER

Waterboy
I like the pick

But having a good blocking TE that can go up and get the ball in the redzone is kind of a big thing to me.
Scheme fluid. I agree and I love pro formations, especially 12 personnel, however with Watson it looks we are going full spread where you create mismatches with a flexed TE. Blocking isn’t as necessary there.

What this also tells me is that we will see more 3/4 WR sets inside the red zone and let Watson work his magic. No more hammer Lamar into our offensive lines backside for 1.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
That rings true. Plus, a blocking TE can be found later, if they want to go with that. My problem is, did they really have to take Akins at 3.98?
That's where the problem lies...that and he's already 26 so there's really no potential growth here. Not a and should never be the type of player you draft in the 3rd damn round.

He's a 26 yo tweener...3rd round. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think this pick will ever amount to anything...he also had a knee issue.

Texansballer74

The Marine
That's where the problem lies...that and he's already 26 so there's really no potential growth here. Not a and should never be the type of player you draft in the 3rd damn round.

He's a 26 yo tweener...3rd round. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think this pick will ever amount to anything...he also had a knee issue.

When did 26 become old. There is still a lot of growth there. It's all upon that young man and how bad he wants it.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
That was from two different coaches and gms ago. I don't think the age will be an issue.
I'm not concerned about the age. He's only under contract for 4 years. He probably has 4 years in him.

Different coaches and different GMs can do the same thing. Fall in love with a player at an all star game. I'm not saying Akins cannot be a productive player for the Texans. What I'm saying is that his production and measurables didn't suggest a pick this high. If O'Brien wanted Akins, he could have waited to draft him. I'm not certain Akins was even a lock to be drafted by another team.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Athlon sports ranks 13 te's. Akins is not among them. Pf weekly has no draftable grade on him.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
When did 26 become old. There is still a lot of growth there. It's all upon that young man and how bad he wants it.
26 is not old...but as a NFL rookie it is.

By the time rookies become 26 they already have 4 years of NFL coaching and experience under their belt and are just coming into their own. By the time it takes this guy to fully learn his craft he'll be 28/29. Not something I expect to take in the 3rd damn round.

He's a 26 yo 3rd round tweener. I don't mind taking late round fliers on those type of players....I do have a problem with drafting them IN THE 3RD ROUND of the draft.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
If we want to believe that the Texans (draftspeak voice) "were true to their board" then yes.

As I have continued to read, its very apparent that this was a true we coached him at the Senior Bowl player...If other teams were high on Akin we won't ever know about or probably not buy it. A trust us pick from a team who especially in the mid-rounds have earned general distrust.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If we want to believe that the Texans (draftspeak voice) "were true to their board" then yes.

As I have continued to read, its very apparent that this was a true we coached him at the Senior Bowl player...If other teams were high on Akin we won't ever know about or probably not buy it. A trust us pick from a team who especially in the mid-rounds have earned general distrust.
I'm probably overreacting. It wasn't a strong draft for TEs. The Texans wanted (needed) a TE. They drafted a TE. I really liked the first 2 picks. Reid is like getting your 2nd round pick back.

It's just a flashback from the Dom Capers Senior Bowl draft. They took 5 players from that game, among them Dave Ragone, Seth Wand, Montrea Holland, and Joppru. But, they also drafted Domanick Davis. He was worth the other mistakes. Maybe Akins is O'Brien's Domanick Davis?

powda

We blew a 3rd rounder on a pick we could've had in the 6th or later.

Hello Sam Montgomery. Same old Texans. If we can't land mid round picks, 9-7 will always be the benchmark.

Couple stupid picks with stupid trades like the oz deal, and pour some hurt players on top like watt,mercy,Watson...

Not so good.

I'm disgusted right now.

PFF wrote: "Another good athlete at tight end, Akins gets to top speed quickly and it shows in his ability to separate and create after the catch. He had an excellent showing during Senior Bowl practice after ranking fifth among draft-eligible tight ends with 1.93 yards per route last season. Akins has showed improvement in the run game where he has the ability to locate second-level targets, but it’s his ability to stretch the seam that gives him a chance to make an impact at the next level."

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I'm probably overreacting. It wasn't a strong draft for TEs. The Texans wanted (needed) a TE. They drafted a TE. I really liked the first 2 picks. Reid is like getting your 2nd round pick back.

It's just a flashback from the Dom Capers Senior Bowl draft. They took 5 players from that game, among them Dave Ragone, Seth Wand, Montrea Holland, and Joppru. But, they also drafted Domanick Davis. He was worth the other mistakes. Maybe Akins is O'Brien's Domanick Davis?
With Reid and Rankin, it's almost like getting your first AND second back - especially if they pan out as good starters. Not bad for two 3rd rounders - but I feel they dropped the ball with #98. Too many good players still on the board.
They have a chance to redeem themselves somewhat with #103.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We blew a 3rd rounder on a pick we could've had in the 6th or later.

Hello Sam Montgomery. Same old Texans. If we can't land mid round picks, 9-7 will always be the benchmark.

Couple stupid picks with stupid trades like the oz deal, and pour some hurt players on top like watt,mercy,Watson...

Not so good.

I'm disgusted right now.
It's not that bad,

Reid/Rankins can play

Gotta trust the coaches on Atkins,

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
How is he different from Anderson? Seriously.
20 pounds heavier and older??

Seriously, I don't know how much weight Anderson has gained in the time with the Texans, but even if not a blocker Akin has a true small "move" TE body versus Anderson basically being a good sized WR. There are good TEs @ Akin's size 6'3 250, but none at Anderson's listed 6'2 230. Of course, the idea is that even with similar play styles Akin is bigger and better than Anderson.

macho grande

Waterboy
20 pounds heavier and older??

Seriously, I don't know how much weight Anderson has gained in the time with the Texans, but even if not a blocker Akin has a true small "move" TE body versus Anderson basically being a good sized WR. There are good TEs @ Akin's size 6'3 250, but none at Anderson's listed 6'2 230. Of course, the idea is that even with similar play styles Akin is bigger and better than Anderson.
Thanks. That helps

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sorry but I don't. We had to nail these picks. Atkins is a throwaway.

9-7 is the benchmark.
Fair enough,

Hope you're wrong

9-7 would be a great improvement,

Hope they pick Richardson tomorrow along with a bunch of ST's guys. Speaking of that how would you feel about picking Griffin with the next pick?

powda

He's a better blocker than Griffin and a better receiver. He is an upgrade at the position.
That could be - and happy Hanukkah. Griffin had a 2-3 game flash in his second year and did nothing before or since. Im not ready to call this guy good because he MIGHT be better then Griffin. It's hardly a standard.

powda

You know you're down on the team when Steelb is trying to cheer you up.
Then I must be down but history is on my side. I hate to be the guy who pisses in the cheerios but we're about to crash.

Max

Veteran
Then I must be down but history is on my side. I hate to be the guy who pisses in the cheerios but we're about to crash.
I don't have my expectations that high for this year either but I feel like the potential is there for lightning in a bottle. I'm saving my hopes of being the real deal for next year assuming Watson stays healthy.