Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans roster moves

So has any roster moves been made since post #1172 :kitten:

:coffee:

Are you implying the only roster moves that are appropriate to talk about are those that have been made, and not those that might, should, or shouldn't be made?

Edit: I know - let's start new threads for every one of these ideas that comes down the chute!:kitten:

Are you implying the only roster moves that are appropriate to talk about are those that have been made, and not those that might, should, or shouldn't be made?

Edit: I know - let's start new threads for every one of these ideas that comes down the chute!:kitten:

oooh! oooh!
and a poll!!
:raisehand:

Or, this discussion about AJ could take place in the existing thread dedicated to AJ.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103037

I agree with Cuppacoffee. This thread has done a good job of staying clean & on point. It's been nice having a single place to go for actual roster moves & not the typical complaining that goes on during the off season. It'll take all of us to make it happen, but let's try & keep it that way. :handshake:

Or, this discussion about AJ could take place in the existing thread dedicated to AJ.

I agree with Cuppacoffee. This thread has done a good job of staying clean & on point. It's been nice having a single place to go for actual roster moves & not the typical complaining that goes on during the off season. It'll take all of us to make it happen, but let's try & keep it that way. :handshake:

Speaking of AJ, we have to cut him!... And I can't believe we drafted Clowney... And we never should have cut Keenum. He should have started all season.

(Sorry, I like messes)

Seconded. I keep clicking on this thread expecting to read about a roster move.

I started a thread that started the whole board crying, if they had only seen the thread was on me. paraphrased and sung to Bee Gees I Started a Joke.

oooh! oooh!
and a poll!!
:raisehand:

Speaking of AJ, we have to cut him!... And I can't believe we drafted Clowney... And we never should have cut Keenum. He should have started all season.

(Sorry, I like messes)

Seconded. I keep clicking on this thread expecting to read about a roster move.

Yeah that's why I come in here.

Was pretty good about just roster moves that had happened.

How we moved the field yet?!?

bunny.gif

Supposedly, he received interest from the Jets, but chose to stay with the Texans instead. I would hope that he was gotten on the cheap short term as you may remember, last year was a nothing year for him.........he was on IR for the entire season following an Achilles tendon rupture and is now almost 9 months out of surgery (July 27, 2014).

Anybody know if it's a one or two year deal? I wonder if he qualifies for the Veteran Cap discount/offset?

No he doesn't have 4 credited seasons. Likely will have the details tomorrow. I still need to determine his accrued & credited seasons. Tough to figure on players like this.

Waiting to see if we'll pick up the option on merciless. He says he hasn't heard anything although I don't know what's typical regarding that.

Waiting to see if we'll pick up the option on merciless. He says he hasn't heard anything although I don't know what's typical regarding that.
Texans have until May 3rd as this season to option him, From our own Troy Chapman:

April 9, 2015 by Troy
Houston Texan outside linebacker, Whitney Mercilus, was the number 26 draft pick in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. As per Article 7, Section 7 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement all rookie contracts are set at a 4 year duration; with the exception of players drafted in the first round. The team will have the option to activate a 5th year on the player contract. There are a few conditions that go along with this team option. The team must notify the NFL and NFLPA between the day after the Superbowl and May 3rd after the player’s third year of the contract. The salary for the 5th year option is determined by the player’s draft position. Mercilus was drafted at the number 26 spot; his salary will be the average of the number 3 through 25 salaries at the player’s position. For the OLB position the salary for the 5th year will be $8,070,000; which will also be the salary cap charge.

When the team activates the 5th year option, the salary becomes fully guaranteed for injury only. The salary will then become fully guaranteed for skill, cap, or injury on the first day of the new league year in 2016. The team will need to determine, a full year in advance, if they would like to active this fifth year option. The Texans activated the 5th year option on J.J. Watt’s rookie deal, but eventually reached an extension before the 2014 regular season began.

I would expect the team to activate the 5th year option for Mercilus. Outside linebacker is a position of need for the Texans, and add in the unknown status of JaDaveon Clowney returning for the 2015 season. I will agree that $8.07 million is probably over paying for Mercilus, but this option does provide the team with an extra year of insurance at the position.

The Texans could also choose to extend Mercilus’ contract now; but Mercilus would likely be looking for the guaranteed money to be at least $8 million dollars (probably more) as part of that extension. One way the team could extend the contract would be to add 3 years onto the contract (2016, 2017, 2018), offer a $6 million signing bonus with a $2 million salary in 2016, $5.5m in 2017, $6m in 2018. On the 5th year option, the salary cap charge was set to be $8.07 million; but with this proposed extension the salary cap charge would only be $4 million in 2016.

The deadline is May 3rd, 2015. This is two days after the completion of the NFL Draft. The Texans could theoretically wait until the draft is over before choosing to activate the 5th year option.
http://texanscap.com/2015/04/09/whitney-mercilus-5th-year-option/

I'm not sure why we would. That's a lot to pay a 6 sack a year player.

Seems like a great dude, but nah, there's no reason to exercise his option.

I honestly see no harm in doing so. The team can get out of it if he just plays poorly in 2015. But if he continues to improve, then you have the opportunity to extend as reasonable rate. If you don't take the option, and his plays well in 2015...his rate just increased dramatically.

I honestly see no harm in doing so. The team can get out of it if he just plays poorly in 2015. But if he continues to improve, then you have the opportunity to extend as reasonable rate. If you don't take the option, and his plays well in 2015...his rate just increased dramatically.

That's the issue. I don't think he's improved much at all. Also, I'd be leery of extending a player who has 3 mediocre seasons followed by a good season during a contract year.

That's the issue. I don't think he's improved much at all. Also, I'd be leery of extending a player who has 3 mediocre seasons followed by a good season during a contract year.

If he doesn't improve (provided injury free), then you can release after the season prior to March 2016 and have no consequence in terms of salary cap.

Hey....I wouldn't have drafted the guy...

I'm just wondering how the Texans feel about him. I don't think he's that good of a player and when I heard him on the radio the other day I understood it.

He's a good guy...I wouldn't pick up that option though.

But I'm not a cap guy....or an of the field guy....I just judge guys by what I see on the field. That's why the team gets paid those big bucks to make these decisions.

WM was much improved last year imo, and he really picked up the slack in place of JC.

Let's not forget our depth at LB is crap. JC is a complete unknown, Reed left, BC is a one legged player, etc. Now you want to dump WM too?

I've got OLB/Pass Rusher as my #1 priority in the draft. We also need to add an ILB on day 2 or probably day 3.

WM was much improved last year imo, and he really picked up the slack in place of JC.

I think the Texans are happy with Mercilus right now. RAC & Vrabel anyway.

I do not believe they'll pick up that fifth year option, which will have us paying him $7M for that fifth year. He'll have to take a big step in 2015 to get anything close to $7M/yr.

If it were me, I'd take my chances, see what he does & try to resign/extend him after 2015.

I think the Texans are happy with Mercilus right now. RAC & Vrabel anyway.

I do not believe they'll pick up that fifth year option, which will have us paying him $7M for that fifth year. He'll have to take a big step in 2015 to get anything close to $7M/yr.

If it were me, I'd take my chances, see what he does & try to resign/extend him after 2015.

There's no reason to even address the issue until after the draft so we know what out LB core is like. If we don't address LB in the draft, then the option becomes a more viable option than if we do.

There's no reason to even address the issue until after the draft so we know what out LB core is like. If we don't address LB in the draft, then the option becomes a more viable option than if we do.

The draft has nothing to do with it.

Mercilus is in the mix regardless. He's signed through the end of 2015 & he hasn't played well enough to even think about paying him $7M for that fifth year.

Let him play 2015. If he doesn't make the progress they hope, we move on. If he does, then they try to keep him. If they think he's worth $7M/yr, pay the man.

Then we'll look at addressing OLB in the 2016 draft.

The draft has nothing to do with it.

Mercilus is in the mix regardless. He's signed through the end of 2015 & he hasn't played well enough to even think about paying him $7M for that fifth year.

Let him play 2015. If he doesn't make the progress they hope, we move on. If he does, then they try to keep him. If they think he's worth $7M/yr, pay the man.

Then we'll look at addressing OLB in the 2016 draft.
You do understand if Texans want to pick up his option it must be done before this season? Team cannot wait to "see how 2015" works out to decide to pay him 2016.

The draft does matter, as unlikely as it might be, team could draft first round best OLB available, round two OLB Nate Orchard, round 5 OLB/ILB Jake Ryan, 6th round comp OLB Zac Wagenmann.

You do understand if Texans want to pick up his option it must be done before this season? Team cannot wait to "see how 2015" works out to decide to pay him 2016.

The draft does matter, as unlikely as it might be, team could draft first round best OLB available, round two OLB Nate Orchard, round 5 OLB/ILB Jake Ryan, 6th round comp OLB Zac Wagenmann.

So before you butted into the conversation, I responded to:

In this situation, what difference does it make who we draft? Mercilus will be our OLB when the 2015 season starts.

The option is for 2016. The option is for $7.7M The Texans should already know if they're willing to pay Mercilus $7.7M to play for this team. Somewhere, someone is saying, "I'd cut his ass today if we owed him $7.7M in 2015."

Personally I'd be extremely surprised if the Texans are considering locking him up for $7.7M two seasons from now.

& it don't matter who we draft.

If we draft someone, it's because the decision has already been made.

I want troy plamalo and Wes Welker but it seems signing over the hill vets isn't the way 2, go.

In this situation, what difference does it make who we draft? Mercilus will be our OLB when the 2015 season starts.

The option is for 2016. The option is for $7.7M The Texans should already know if they're willing to pay Mercilus $7.7M to play for this team. Somewhere, someone is saying, "I'd cut his ass today if we owed him $7.7M in 2015."

Personally I'd be extremely surprised if the Texans are considering locking him up for $7.7M two seasons from now.

If he were bad or great I'd agree. But he's in the good, but not great territory and alternatives in the bank matter to decisions concerning 2016.

After the draft we will know whether the best available talent in the first three rounds includes one or more LB.

The decision to pick up the option is not required before the draft so you don't make it until then. That way you have better and more current information available.

But if you like making snap judgements and decisions, more power to you. You have that luxury when you're powerless to implement your ideas.

Mercilus is not worth the cost of that option. Decline the option and see if you can start negotiations on a new deal.

He's worth keeping. But he's not worth keeping for more money than he's worth. And he's not worth $7M.

Mercilus is not worth the cost of that option. Decline the option and see if you can start negotiations on a new deal.

He's worth keeping. But he's not worth keeping for more money than he's worth. And he's not worth $7M.

Who has more value- Mercilus or Brooks Reed? Then what did Reed sign for in free agency?

Who has more value- Mercilus or Brooks Reed? Then what did Reed sign for in free agency?

If the player can get more somewhere else then it is their right to go sign somewhere else. But I would not give a player $7M if he is not worth $7M to my team.

If he were bad or great I'd agree. But he's in the good, but not great territory and alternatives in the bank matter to decisions concerning 2016.

After the draft we will know whether the best available talent in the first three rounds includes one or more LB.

The decision to pick up the option is not required before the draft so you don't make it until then. That way you have better and more current information available.

But if you like making snap judgements and decisions, more power to you. You have that luxury when you're powerless to implement your ideas.

Good but not great, but you think you might give him $7.7M to play for our team in 2016?

Says all about you that I need to know.

I don't care who we draft, I'm not in favor of spending $7.7M on Whitney Mercilus. He'd have to have 20 sacks in 2015 for me to even think about offering such a deal. People need to be saying, "Jj who??" before I even consider paying him $7.7M to play for us in 2016...

I would not have OLB high on my draft list because Mercilus is here for 2015. Signed to an existing contract. Then we've got Clowney. So that's two possibilities for that position, I'll take a shot at a 3rd rounder, 4th or 5th maybe.

If neither Clowney or Mercilus straight up shine in 2015, OLB will be at the top of my list for the 2016 draft.

Chosing to pick up the fifth year option on Mercilus has nothing to do with the 2015 draft, it's all about Mercilus.

Sorry TK I thought this was an open forum for all to interact in. If you want a private conversation I suggest PM. :fingergun:

understand, just looking at what his market value might be? Looked up Brooks, 5 years 22 million which averages to 4.4 million. So would 5 million be Whitney's ceiling, certainly not 7 million.

understand, just looking at what his market value might be? Looked up Brooks, 5 years 22 million which averages to 4.4 million. So would 5 million be Whitney's ceiling, certainly not 7 million.

I think that Reed is looked at by NFL people as more valuable than what fans gave him credit for. Earl Mitchell was the same way when he left here. Both signed for more than any Texans fans thought they would get.

I'm not sure about Mercilus. I don't think I could really consider anything north of 4 years/$16M.

Good but not great, but you think you might give him $7.7M to play for our team in 2016?

Says all about you that I need to know.

I don't care who we draft, I'm not in favor of spending $7.7M on Whitney Mercilus. He'd have to have 20 sacks in 2015 for me to even think about offering such a deal. People need to be saying, "Jj who??" before I even consider paying him $7.7M to play for us in 2016...

I would not have OLB high on my draft list because Mercilus is here for 2015. Signed to an existing contract. Then we've got Clowney. So that's two possibilities for that position, I'll take a shot at a 3rd rounder, 4th or 5th maybe.

If neither Clowney or Mercilus straight up shine in 2015, OLB will be at the top of my list for the 2016 draft.

Chosing to pick up the fifth year option on Mercilus has nothing to do with the 2015 draft, it's all about Mercilus.

We can't wait until the 2015 season is over to decide. But if you choose not to exercise the option, then you are forced to go for LB next season, you know, the one when everyone wants to trade up for the QB of the future.

It's a vicious cycle. But we can still turn down the option after the draft and after we know what we'll face in 2016. That seems to go right by without consideration. But I've expressed my opinion and you've expressed yours. AND NEITHER WILL MATTER.

Back