Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans roster moves

John Simon was drafted 4th two years ago and is recovering from injury. But he is listed as an outside linebacker. SO does anyone know if he has the speed to play OLB in this system or will he need to be moved inside?

40 time 4.6-4.7 range (in his prime) who knows now

John Simon was drafted 4th two years ago and is recovering from injury. But he is listed as an outside linebacker. SO does anyone know if he has the speed to play OLB in this system or will he need to be moved inside?

Considering that we have so few OLBs and so many ILBs, I think our scouts and coaches at least think he can play outside.

Whether he actually can or not remains to be seen.

SO does anyone know if he has the speed to play OLB in this system or will he need to be moved inside?

It's about more than just speed. There are plenty of guys who can run past the QB.

Since Mike Vrabel coached him in college, I'll trust that Simon was the best option available that fit our other criteria.

I don't remember us signing a lot of players off other team's practice squads in the past. I wonder if it's just the fact that we have a new NFL Scouting Director who actually does stuff or if there's just a huge lack of talent now or both.

I don't remember us signing a lot of players off other team's practice squads in the past. I wonder if it's just the fact that we have a new NFL Scouting Director who actually does stuff or if there's just a huge lack of talent now or both.

Id say a little of both.

This team has never had the secondary depth that it has now though.

I don't remember us signing a lot of players off other team's practice squads in the past...

I'd have to think Vrabel stood up for the guy, but yeah it's unusual.

There were 3 or 4 guys JB had worth looking at on PSs: Shaq Barrett, Adrian Hubbard, Jake Bequette

It's not usual for ANY team to sign guys off other team's PS. I'm thinking injuries have forced our hand.

He never actually got called up. According to Braddock (via twitter), when they figured out Simon was able to go, they left Ankrah on the PS.

Thanks for that update. I was wondering what happened.

I like Simon going forward. With a little time, I think he's going to be a good starter for us, supplanting Reed/Mercilus across from Clowney.

I would like to see how he does also... he looked pretty good to me in preseason. Maybe the coaches like Johnsons speed

^^^^
This

Johnson adds badly needed speed to the team.

Too bad he has problems catching the ball.

^^^^
This

Johnson adds badly needed speed to the team.

Too bad he has problems catching the ball.

He lacks a lot as a route runner and we badly need someone with glue for hands that is able to cut on a dime and get open in a hurry. With this offensive line he's not a good fit. Labhart deserves a chance to show that he has that ability.

He lacks a lot as a route runner and we badly need someone with glue for hands that is able to cut on a dime and get open in a hurry. With this offensive line he's not a good fit. Labhart deserves a chance to show that he has that ability.

I agree with ya, shame OB don't

I like Labhart but IMO Posey had better preseason.

Response to a post about Simon over Reed/Mercilus as this is Reed's contract season and he has done basically nothing, he should be gone 2015. It will be interesting to see if Reed is moved to ILB if Clowney, Merci and Simon all play; should be Reed's last gasp chance to get a new deal.

Jayson Braddock retweeted
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL · 16m 16 minutes ago
Texans waived CB Elbert Mack, sign OLB Zac Diles. Waive CB Kendall James from P squad and sign RB Ben Malena (A&M) to P squad.

Interesting but a help I hope

Well, yeah, all of their OLBs have or are injured/coming off some type of injury except Mercilus... unless he's injured now, too.

I just can't see him as a 3-4 OLB, unless maybe he'll play Reeds spot and just try to set the edge

I just can't see him as a 3-4 OLB, unless maybe he'll play Reeds spot and just try to set the edge

If they bring Cushing back for Philly, you can expect the Bye, which would possibly have been some positive rest time, to have lost virtually all benefit to his recovering any semblance of performance upon return.

Great pickup! Since he left the Texans, between playing 19 games for the Bucs, Colts and Titans, he has accumulated 16 tackles.......without any other stats.

His history has been one of injury-riddled. In October 2012, he was placed on the Titans IR and replaced by another Texans injury-riddled player........Xavier Adibi, 2 weeks predictably (if you are a Texans fan) later followed Diles to the IR with "stretched knee ligaments." Adibi remains an unsigned FA.........so when Diles goes down, we've at least got another great option.
:pirate:

I always liked Diles when he was here before. He never did anything spectacular, but he was a good role player. However, that was 4 seasons ago.

Last edited:
Great pickup! Since he left the Texans, between playing 19 games for the Bucs, Colts and Titans, he has accumulated 16 tackles.......without any other stats.

His history has been one of injury-riddled. In October 2012, he was placed on the Titans IR and replaced by another Texans injury-riddled player........Xavier Adibi, 2 weeks predictably (if you are a Texans fan) later followed Diles to the IR with "stretched knee ligaments." Adibi remains an unsigned FA.........so when Diles goes down, we've at least got another great option.
:pirate:
large.jpg

like him as I said but 5'9" 182 and Posey 6'1" 210.

http://www.nfl.com/player/travislabhart/2550577/profile

You cannot be serious. Who cares that Posey is bigger, if he is completely invisible. Where is Posey when the Texans need a 3rd down conversion? Absolutely nowhere. What has he done since he was drafted? Pretty much nothing.

Labhart in preseason was lights out, almost always getting open and catching everything. He was also a great safety valve for Manziel.
I'd like to see him in real NFL games, if he can duplicate what he did in preseason and with Manziel, he will be a real weapon, especially on 3rd downs.

You cannot be serious. Who cares that Posey is bigger, if he is completely invisible. Where is Posey when the Texans need a 3rd down conversion? Absolutely nowhere. What has he done since he was drafted? Pretty much nothing.

Labhart in preseason was lights out, almost always getting open and catching everything. He was also a great safety valve for Manziel.
I'd like to see him in real NFL games, if he can duplicate what he did in preseason and with Manziel, he will be a real weapon, especially on 3rd downs.

Lights out = 6 catches for 67 yards, 0 TDs

I like his potential, but come on.

You can be pro-Labhart all you want, but trying to make an argument for Travis by knocking Posey's contributions in comparison is silly. You're talking about what one guy has done in the preseason while the other has regular season and playoff contributions.

Maybe Labhart does just need this staff to give him a chance, but it's the same staff that's keeping them both grounded in lieu of one of them actually showing he can make a play during a live game.

Interesting in working out Skov. He is similar to Bullough.

Except without knees. Skov was a great prospect at one time, but his knee injuries have derailed his career much in the same way that Cushing's injuries have derailed his.

Really sucks for him because at least Cushing got paid before his knees gave out.

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider
Signing Zach Diles and Ben Malena, Texans also worked out Moise Fokou, Shayne Skov and Scott Solomon

Fokou... I like saying that name.

PRO: The Titans signed Moise Fokou (pronounced Mo-EES FOE-koo) in the early stages of the 2013 unrestricted free agency period, adding a young and versatile veteran capable of manning different positions among the linebacking corps. Following his career at the University of Maryland, Fokou was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the seventh round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He spent three seasons and played in 43 games (22 starts) with the Eagles before being traded to the Indianapolis Colts in 2012. He played in all 16 games (one start) in his only campaign in Indianapolis before coming to Tennessee where he posted a career-best 98 tackles last season.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS:
• In 2013, Fokou started 12 games at middle linebacker in his first season with the Titans and finished fourth on the team with a career-high 98 tackles.
• In 2012, Fokou played in all 16 games for the third time in his career. He totaled 46 tackles, a sack, two passes defensed and a forced fumble in his only season with the Colts.
• In 2010, set a career high with 11 starts and posted 41 tackles with the Eagles.

Back