Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans RBs.... Burkhead, Pierce, Ogunbowale

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I wasn’t thrilled at us signing Mack to be THE guy at RB, he may have some qualities left but you don’t get great RB play that elevates and O scheme with washed up vets.

Hopefully we’ve struck gold with Pierce and thankfully that’s made him expendable. I’m a little worried about the mileage we’re likely to expect of the rookie given the rest of the rotation, but a great running back is just the ticket to paper over the cracks in this transitional period with a young QB and questionable receiving talent, gonna make everyone look a lot better.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Just a hunch. They told Mack he's not going to start and if he wants to be here, it will be in a minimal role. Mack said I'm better than that and I want to start - so they said fair enough, here's your apple and a roadmap. Go be someone's smoke through a keyhole and hit that hole with intentionality somewhere else.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Man why are you tagging me? Remember we’re not talking football on here anymore.
And the reason why this happened was because Mack didn’t want to be the second string back. He asked for the release. But hey go ahead and pound your chest.
If this is true then frankly I'm not sure we didn't dodge a bullet. Mack is a 6 year vet now playing the shortest life span position in all the NFL. He's been in 7 games over the past 2 years and racked up less than 130 yards in that time and no TDs. On top of that he had a a torn Achilles in 2020 which is major injury for any athlete but particularly bad for RBs because of how much strain they put on their ankles. And this guy thought he was to good to be RB2? Yeah wish you well and good luck finding another team that will make you RB1.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
He’s going to be one of the fan favorite for sure.
Not just a fan favorite, seeing this kid can 150% play. Watching some college videos and his 2 short NFL quarters you can see it. He seems to absorb contact and still keep going forward. He breaks tackles, has just enough "shake and bake" to make some defenders miss and his speed seems faster than what his reported numbers are. His only questionable issue is how well can he catch out of the back field. We really have yet to see him do it much. He could be better than scouting reports or he could need some work.

No question a fan favorite and no question, minus minimal reps catching...he can no question play and do well at the NFL level

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If this is true then frankly I'm not sure we didn't dodge a bullet. Mack is a 6 year vet now playing the shortest life span position in all the NFL. He's been in 7 games over the past 2 years and racked up less than 130 yards in that time and no TDs. On top of that he had a a torn Achilles in 2020 which is major injury for any athlete but particularly bad for RBs because of how much strain they put on their ankles. And this guy thought he was to good to be RB2? Yeah wish you well and good luck finding another team that will make you RB1.
Doubtful Mack thinks this way.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I wonder if Royce Freeman playing some FB just made himself more valuable to the team than Mack was as just a RB?
But they kept Hairston which solves the FB position. I don’t know - the cut of Mack and keeping Freeman doesn’t make much sense unless there is a trade or some other move coming soon.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
But they kept Hairston which solves the FB position. I don’t know - the cut of Mack and keeping Freeman doesn’t make much sense unless there is a trade or some other move coming soon.
Makes perfect sense if they didn't think Mack offered much as a ball carrier. Or as much as some of the options available.

I just think they weren't thrilled with him. Doesn't make a lot of sense to release him on the off chance a deal is available or a guy hits the waiver wire.

I think if they really liked Mack he'd still be a Texan.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Nobody knows for sure, but given Mack's situation which do you think is more likely?
I think a rational person and a realistic one would think the way you do but one thing I have learned about professional athletes is they are rarely rational and realistic about their own abilities and ages. I mean in the world of wrestling look at Ric Flair, just had his last match where he legit passed out twice, other wrestlers in the audience were actually very concerned for his health. Yet despite all that Flair wants to wrestle again. Football players are the same, we saw this with Mayfield playing all season with a broken shoulder, we've seen players many times believe they can still go like they use to.

So without knowing Mack's personality I can very much see him being that way simply because so many athletes are.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So the current RB room has Pierce (rook), Burkhead, Ogunbowale and Hairston (UDFA LB turned FB). That seems like a pretty weak room.

They cut Mack and keep Freeman. The next day they sign Mack to the PS and cut Freeman.

I guess they’ve got a plan, just no clue what it is.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Freeman just cut. Interested to see if they will add to the RB room or be happy with the option to elevate Freeman if needed.
49ers just cut their 3rd round pick from last year. Trey Sermon. May be worth a look.

Or Pierce’s former teammate L’amichael Perine.
Sermon would be intriguing. A few here quite high on him coming out iirc

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So the current RB room has Pierce (rook), Burkhead, Ogunbowale and Hairston (UDFA LB turned FB). That seems like a pretty weak room.

They cut Mack and keep Freeman. The next day they sign Mack to the PS and cut Freeman.

I guess they’ve got a plan, just no clue what it is.
Perhaps Mack wanted to see if he would get any other offers

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Perhaps Mack wanted to see if he would get any other offers
I don’t understand this. After getting cut? Sure. You hope to get a job offer from someone when you’ve been let go. But if you’re talking about some of the claims here of him wanting to be cut because he wasn’t happy playing 2nd fiddle to a rookie, well, I don’t buy that either. Unless he took a gamble on himself and lost. Better to make the salary he was due to make even if it meant being RB2, than what he makes on a PS.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I don’t understand this. After getting cut? Sure. You hope to get a job offer from someone when you’ve been let go. But if you’re talking about some of the claims here of him wanting to be cut because he wasn’t happy playing 2nd fiddle to a rookie, well, I don’t buy that either. Unless he took a gamble on himself and lost. Better to make the salary he was due to make even if it meant being RB2, than what he makes on a PS.
Doesn't make sense to me either unless as someone stated here somewhere that Mack is hurt and needs a bit of healing time and/or he worked out a plan with the Texans so they could make some roster moves. Final roster is not set yet...

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I would like to add another youngster with fresh legs to this RB room. Lovie said this is a running team and i’d hate to rely on Pierce doing something he’s never done before (be a bell cow).

I believe this OL will be able to impose its will on opponents with the change in philosophy and additions of Green/Cann. But I want another young RB that will hit defenders rather than wait to be tackled. Establish an identity as a smash mouth football team that teams will feel playing even if they win. Like the Steelers/Ravens rivalry. You always know when those teams play they will be feeling the consequences the following week.

Freeman just cut. Interested to see if they will add to the RB room or be happy with the option to elevate Freeman if needed.
49ers just cut their 3rd round pick from last year. Trey Sermon. May be worth a look.

Or Pierce’s former teammate L’amichael Perine.
With what appears to be an improved offensive line I don't see why we could not bring Scottie Phillips back as our third option RB. I know he was not all that impressive his last go round but he did not really get much of a chance to impress. What can it hurt to give him a look see? I know I am probably way off and that ship has sailed. For some reason I have always wanted to see that kid succeed.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Nobody knows for sure, but given Mack's situation which do you think is more likely?
They liked Pierce but needed a "just in case" type RB if he wasn't what they thought. He showed in OTAs and TC, along with a short showing in preseason, he was indeed what they hoped. Making Mack, who only flashed a few times compared to Pierce who looked great all the time expendable

michaelm

vox nihili
I have a feeling that Mack's release was more of an effort and attitude thing.
I have nothing to back that up, just a feeling they weren't happy with his culture fit versus younger, hungrier players.

Again, just a gut feeling, no links to back it up

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I have a feeling that Mack's release was more of an effort and attitude thing.
I have nothing to back that up, just a feeling they weren't happy with his culture fit versus younger, hungrier players.

Again, just a gut feeling, no links to back it up
I think its more he doesn’t add anything to ST and he didn’t separate himself as a runner enough from Burkhead/Ogunbowale to justify backing up Pierce and being active on game day.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I think its more he doesn’t add anything to ST and he didn’t separate himself as a runner enough from Burkhead/Ogunbowale to justify backing up Pierce and being active on game day.
Going back and looking at the preseason games IMO he separated himself from Burkhead. He also said he’ll do kickoff and put return. The two returners is who he didn’t separate himself from. I’m thinking it’s more of an buddy buddy system. Burkhead is Caserio’s boy.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Going back and looking at the preseason games IMO he separated himself from Burkhead. He also said he’ll do kickoff and put return. The two returners is who he didn’t separate himself from. I’m thinking it’s more of an buddy buddy system. Burkhead is Caserio’s boy.
Burkhead can pass block which few RBs do well. As a runner they both didn’t impress and create for themselves like Pierce did when he played. Nobody claimed Mack and he is on the PS instead of a team’s active roster. If the league thought he could help someone is free to sign him.

EDIT: Just read Mack has been cut from PS for Conley…

Texansballer74

The Marine
Burkhead can pass block which few RBs do well. As a runner they both didn’t impress and create for themselves like Pierce did when he played. Nobody claimed Mack and he is on the PS instead of a team’s active roster. If the league thought he could help someone is free to sign him.

EDIT: Just read Mack has been cut from PS for Conley…
No they didn’t but imo Mack looked 10x as better running the ball than Burkhead. And he didn’t do bad in pass pro blocking either. Burkhead reminds me of PJ Tucker. He continues to get burn because he plays extremely hard. Just my opinion

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
No they didn’t but imo Mack looked 10x as better running the ball than Burkhead. And he didn’t do bad in pass pro blocking either. Burkhead reminds me of PJ Tucker. He continues to get burn because he plays extremely hard. Just my opinion
jmo

Burkhead is here to be the 3rd down back. Like Tunsil is the LT & his position was not up for any competition during camp, Burkhead's position as the 3rd down back was never open to competition.

He's clutch, proven champion in 3rd down situations (does not mean he will be on the field for every 3rd down).

Mack, Freeman, Pierce, & Ogunbowale were competing for RB. A primary & a backup (secondary runner). Pierce & Ogunbowale won those roles.

Mack is not as effective as Pierce or Ogunbowale right now. Maybe he will be towards the end of the season like we saw Foreman was last year.

Last edited:
Sony Michel?
With what is supposed to be an improved offensive line I don't see why we don't give Scottie Philips another chance. He is still quite young and I don't see where bringing him back is all that big of a risk for a rebuilding team such as ours. If he does not pan out we can still find someone to replace him.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
With what is supposed to be an improved offensive line I don't see why we don't give Scottie Philips another chance. He is still quite young and I don't see where bringing him back is all that big of a risk for a rebuilding team such as ours. If he does not pan out we can still find someone to replace him.
Phillips was released by the Texans back in June and was not brought in for training camp with an NFL team. It is safe to say he is no longer in the team’s plans.

Reactions: JB

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
jmo

Burkhead is here to be the 3rd down back. Like Tunsil is the LT & his position was not up for any competition during camp, Burkhead's position as the 3rd down back was never open to competition.

He's clutch, proven champion in 3rd down situations (does not mean he will be on the field for every 3rd down).

Mack, Freeman, Pierce, & Ogunbowale were competing for RB. A primary & a backup (secondary runner). Pierce & Ogunbowale won those roles.

Mack is not as effective as Pierce or Ogunbowale right now. Maybe he will be towards the end of the season like we saw Foreman was last year.
Honestly, if Carsterio wasn't the gm, Burkhead wouldn't be here. That championship stuff means 0 on this team. Dare is a better back in every capacity as was Mack and Pierce. I like Rex, but this senior leadership for marginal players isn't the way to go in my opinion. A team rebuilding should want as many high end players at every position as possible. Burk shouldn't be on this team, but I'm not crying because he is especially when they were and are younger, more talented players available. I wish they would've drafted Pierce and Zamir White and just combo run both and play Dare as the extra back.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Mack was not that much, if at all, better so it may have been as simple as Burkhead has already been in the system a year and knows the playbook better. Their contracts were pretty much the same with Burkhead paid slightly more but again not enough that its basically do you want the one that costs 1.99 or the one that costs 1.49. Yeah one is cheaper but not enough you'll notice it. The other thing to remember is Burkhead put up his best year last year, stat wise, while Mack put up one of his worst. Then there is the injury history with Mack that Burkhead doesn't have. When you take all these things together, and given the fact you are talking about the RB2 or maybe even RB3 position, I can see why they would go with the devil they know. Mack looked good in the preseason but he didn't look that good.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
At least you're thinking

Simply keep the best players and if it's close keep the guy who contributes the most on ST's.