Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hypothetical:

Fire the coach and the QB.

Which one gets hired immediately in the same job and also which one excels in their new environment?

Just kidding.

Fire O’Brien!
Both for different reasons.

Like they say, suckers are born everyday.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Random thought of the day: What happened between Sean Ryan and the Texans or BOB?
Ryan was the QB coach during Watson's rookie year. He was with the Texans for 3 years and was one of the more experienced coaches on the staff. I know he wanted to be an OC and maybe didn't see a promotion in his future with the Texans. But considering his work with Watson, you would think he deserved a promotion. Based on his experience alone, he was more qualified to be the OC over Kelly.

Any thoughts on Ryan?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Random thought of the day: What happened between Sean Ryan and the Texans or BOB?
Ryan was the QB coach during Watson's rookie year. He was with the Texans for 3 years and was one of the more experienced coaches on the staff. I know he wanted to be an OC and maybe didn't see a promotion in his future with the Texans. But considering his work with Watson, you would think he deserved a promotion. Based on his experience alone, he was more qualified to be the OC over Kelly.

Any thoughts on Ryan?
He took the job in Detroit, believing that he would be in a better position to advance. He has never advanced beyond QB coach in the Detroit organization. He has had no further offers of OC interviews while with the Lions.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I hope she gives herself a birthday present and sells the team.
Due to all the Texans talk commotion Mrs McNair call me last evening and we have entered into negotiations for buying the Texans. My offer is $99 down $99 a month for 99,000 years.
If any are interested in purchasing a minority share of the team from me please voice your offer and any contingencies such as trades, draft picks and terminations including upgrades to food courts and restroom facilities. If enough responses Mods may decide to separate into a separate thread.
I will consider all input but probably ignore it as current owner does. Also think we need to request tax payers to build me a new stadium at 100 % at taxpayer expense.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Sunday saw the coming out party for WF. He will get even better as the season progresses and he gets more of the football.
I'm thinkin a division title is the best we can hope for at this point but Titans and Colts are gonna be hard goes.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Drew brings up the rumors about O’Brien changing up the game plan
To John Harris I say " Hey bro! Are you willing to share some of that there cough syrup you obviously have been guzzling? " Also does anyone think Harris has built up enough following to make it on his own now that his buddy Bill is gone? I vote yes..for now.

For Deshaun: "Hey Fresh Prince of Belaire, can I borrow your yellow hoodie and say a thou'?"

Boris

All Pro
i don't get it

allusions of journalists being muzzled under threats to access revocations...stories only now coming out of blowups 2 weeks ago...???

Pallilo put blame on Houston being a one paper town,
but i still can't fathom how this info didn't get out

no journalist thought to create a fake twitter account to blast the truth? Surprising

Last edited:

Sonny

TexSon Proud
I highly doubt it. Didn’t they just make him one of the highest paid commentators
Just looked it up and yes, TR just signed for $17.5+mm a year ($180mm total) and then the article pointed out that Madden only made 8 million a year at the height of his Tomfoolery but I'm not sure how that equates being in a completely different era.

Oh, well.. too bad. Perhaps when he's a bit older and comes from behind desk ala Gruden.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Thanks for posting. My question to RAC is what you are saying now needs to be done to stop the run has not been done to correct issue you mention; why not in four games and why should fans think you can get er done?
The Texans were giving up 168 yards on the ground the last half of the season last year with RAC calling the shots and with DJ Reader on the team.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
i don't get it

allusions of journalists being muzzled under threats to access revocations...stories only now coming out of blowups 2 weeks ago...???

Pallilo put blame on Houston being a one paper town,
but i still can't fathom how this info didn't get out

no journalist thought to create a fake twitter account to blast the truth? Surprising

Its been since March and the real reason Hopkins was traded hasn't been told ....

Boris

All Pro
Its been since March and the real reason Hopkins was traded hasn't been told ....
what would you attribute the silence to?
fear of access
loyalty to ownership
lack of courage
ignorance

i still don't understand why a hamstrung local wouldn't use a national (Ian, Mort, Glazer, Schefter, SAS, Skip et al) to leak the story & subsequently report on the fallout

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
what would you attribute the silence to?
fear of access
loyalty to ownership
lack of courage
ignorance

i still don't understand why a hamstrung local wouldn't use a national (Ian, Mort, Glazer, Schefter, SAS, Skip et al) to leak the story & subsequently report on the fallout

A multitude of things.

Starting with much of the media covering this team being put in place by the franchise itself. These people are part of the marketing firm.
Then there's guys like McClain who have spent 20 years building relationships .... He has no links to this team in the early days that he had with the Oilers before they left. You don't throw away 20 years of work ...
For some others , its their access to information that's at stake. That's their job - who's going to throw that away & risk being blackballed in their profession.

This particular story would make the Texans the laughing stock of the league .... I mean its little league stuff. Absolutely hilarious the things that influence grown men.
One has to assume that the team made it clear this wasn't to get out , particularly when you realize who the but of the jokes would be , this marketing firm won't allow that.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans' Romeo Crennel blames missed tackles on lack of offseason
Mark Lane
16 hours ago

The Houston Texans only have 29 missed tackles, but it feels like a million with an 0-4 record and 181.8 rushing yards surrendered per game.

According to interim coach Romeo Crennel, one of the chief reasons the Texans have 29 missed tackles through the first four games has been due to an offseason obliterated thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Part of the issue is that we didn’t have an offseason,” Crennel said. “We didn’t have a preseason. So, those guys haven’t had that opportunity to hone in on their tackling skills because in tackling, you’ve got to take proper angles. You’ve got to know where your helps is. You’ve got to be able to wrap up. Tackling has changed in the NFL from what it used to be.”

Tackling is as much about individual technique as it is coordination, such as “keeping the cup” to form enclosures around ball carriers. With just one big training camp in the month of August and no preseason games, defenses have had to develop the tackling cohesion during regular season games where the results count.

However, Crennel isn’t going to accept the missed tackles because of the challenges that the Texans, along with the other 31 NFL teams, have had to face.

“I’m not making excuses for us because we do miss too many tackles,” said Crennel................................

THE REST OF THE STORY

Despite the bolded, it appears that Crennel IS accepting the excuse.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
McKinney and Cunningham lead the Texans with 7 missed tackles apiece followed by 4 missed stops each for Mercilus and Brennan Scarlett, Justin Reid and Hargreaves. Watt has not been spared with 3 missed tackles.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
I agree - it's all just excuses. Most of the players with missed tackles aren't rookies and it definitely isn't their first year playing football...

"we missed training camp this year, so I have forgotten everything I was taught about tackling in the other 20 years of my football experience"

I "kind of" like Cunningham - but I do NOT like the let me grab him by the shoulder pads and try and pull him down - dude just needs to tackle better.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Why do you think that is?
Haven’t the foggiest, but that average has gone down every single year. And now it’s nearly nonexistent.

I can only speculate that someone has been drilling it into him not to run. Rarely see designed runs anymore.

For a QB with the ability a Watson has with his legs not to use them, is a damn crime. Maybe it’s the same guy who goes and gets speedy RBs and tries to play a smash mouth run game, or getting speedy WRs and tears out the quick slant plays out of the playbook. Who knows?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
For a QB with the ability a Watson has with his legs not to use them, is a damn crime. Maybe it’s the same guy who goes and gets speedy RBs and tries to play a smash mouth run game, or getting speedy WRs and tears out the quick slant plays out of the playbook.
Maybe, but I've seen this once before. Aaron Brooks.

Wound up an avg QB, because he wanted to be a pocket passer. His coach wasn't stopping him from running & was better than avg from the pocket. But without making plays with his legs... not good enough.

& that was back when 3,000 yard seasons was something.

I hope Watson's issue is something else, something that left the building.