Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Our teams schedule is hard under normal circumstances but under the current circumstances we are really up against it. The defense is for sure our weakness but the offense will struggle early on which has us getting burned early in the season. I have the Chiefs winning tonight by two TD's. My prediction is Chiefs 31 and Texans 17.

I hope we can get things going before it gets too late in the season. I do think by week 6 we will get to see the best our team can be.
Fans will need to be patient this season. Chiefs then Ravens is probably the worst start you can imagine. Two good teams that haven't changed much from last season. The lack of practice/preseason won't affect them all that much.

I'll gladly take 3-3 to start the season, as long as we're seeing progress along the way.

austins23

Hall of Fame
I can't stand watching 10 seconds of Carr babbling on NFLN about pro QBs. Immediate channel change for me. The only qualities he seemed to have on his resume is a SB ring that he never played a down to earn and a goofy haircut.
Cringeworthy for me to. He's maybe an expert on what doesn't work...not what does.
For being NFL Network, this pregame show is THE worst on TV. One dude trying to yell louder than the other and all laughing at the top of their lungs. Just stupid.
And Eisen is bad.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Within a month of the games starting up, outbreaks will occur, and the league will be shut down. Enjoy it while you can.
Being the pragmatic skeptic that I am, I tend to agree with you. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst type of thing. :overreact:

I’ll predict that by the middle or end of November....stadiums will be filled and folks will be returning to normal lives.
You certainly live up to your name. :thumbup AND I LIKE IT!

Fans will need to be patient this season. Chiefs then Ravens is probably the worst start you can imagine. Two good teams that haven't changed much from last season. The lack of practice/preseason won't affect them all that much.

I'll gladly take 3-3 to start the season, as long as we're seeing progress along the way.
I agree

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Random thought. Watching Fells totally whiff on the block that led to Honey Badger causing the INT, why is it that the Texans continue to sign these athletes at TE and not one is a decent blocker? It amazing how all of them can look like Tarzan and block like Jane.
Fells was touted to be a blocking TE when signed... I think it's another coaching fail. Everyone seems to regress after signing here

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I can't stand watching 10 seconds of Carr babbling on NFLN about pro QBs. Immediate channel change for me. The only qualities he seemed to have on his resume is a SB ring that he never played a down to earn and a goofy haircut.

Repeat after me: HWSNBM - Ever.

He who shall not be mentioned!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Texans have just signed 2 TEs to the PS..............although Pharoah Brown makes a lot of sense as he is considered a strong blocking TE which we really are in need of; Troy Fumagalli is considered a hybrid TE receiver/blocker, but having demonstrated only limited blocking skills thus far.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Texans have just signed 2 TEs to the PS..............although Pharoah Brown makes a lot of sense as he is considered a strong blocking TE which we really are in need of; Troy Fumagalli is considered a hybrid TE receiver/blocker, but having demonstrated only limited blocking skills thus far.
Did you like what you saw of Akins as a receiving tight end? I know he wasn't out there much.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Although Pharoah has been known as a strong blocker, when given opportunity both in college and the NFL, he has proven that he can catch the ball and hand onto it. Even though he has had limited NFL experience, he has had more experience than Warring.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Although Pharoah has been known as a strong blocker, when given opportunity both in college and the NFL, he has proven that he can catch the ball and hand onto it. Even though he has had limited NFL experience, he has had more experience than Warring.
It would be nice to discover a diamond in the rough who could impact this team. Scotty Phillips or John Reid perhaps.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I'm kind of wondering where everybody stands on their enthusiasm for the future of this franchise. On a scale of 1 (the team is destined to be ceiler dwellers for years to come) to a 10 (this franchise is on the cusp of being one of those rare dynasties in sports), where are you now?

Without going into the specifics of coaches/GM/FO/contracts/draft capital/injury histories (because that stuff is all over this board and I've made my opinions on all those things)… I'm honestly at about a 3. I think the only bright spot on this team going forward is Watson and I'm starting to have my doubts even about him. I don't see one other "young" player on this team that's on the verge of being special.

Over the next 4-5 years I can see the Texans topping out at 8 wins with a bottom of 4 to 5 wins - unless ownership does something drastic and highly uncharacteristic (for them, anyway).

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I'm kind of wondering where everybody stands on their enthusiasm for the future of this franchise. On a scale of 1 (the team is destined to be ceiler dwellers for years to come) to a 10 (this franchise is on the cusp of being one of those rare dynasties in sports), where are you now?

Without going into the specifics of coaches/GM/FO/contracts/draft capital/injury histories (because that stuff is all over this board and I've made my opinions on all those things)… I'm honestly at about a 3. I think the only bright spot on this team going forward is Watson and I'm starting to have my doubts even about him. I don't see one other "young" player on this team that's on the verge of being special.

Over the next 4-5 years I can see the Texans topping out at 8 wins with a bottom of 4 to 5 wins - unless ownership does something drastic and highly uncharacteristic (for them, anyway).

I'd agree with that assessment - a 3 (or lower).

Watson will pull off some off schedule magic once in a while but in general is inconsistent , the rest of the offense sucks and the defense is just bad front to back.
Not much hope to fix any of it with no draft picks and no cap space .... and then there's OB who breaks everything he touches.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I'd give it a 2 regarding my own enthusiasm for the future of the franchise. It's mostly based on objective analysis of the owners since 2002. Like you, my thoughts have already been said in several threads about the subject.

They don't hire staff that "coaches players up". That includes Watson. With as much raw potential as he's got, it takes talent around him, good coaching of that talent, and a scheme that maximizes his strengths while protecting his weaknesses. I'm not seeing any of the above so far.

And giving a coach that monumentally choked a playoff game more power in the organization just confirms my suspicions. There is no accountability.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I'd give it a 2 regarding my own enthusiasm for the future of the franchise. It's mostly based on objective analysis of the owners since 2002. Like you, my thoughts have already been said in several threads about the subject.

They don't hire staff that "coaches players up". That includes Watson. With as much raw potential as he's got, it takes talent around him, good coaching of that talent, and a scheme that maximizes his strengths while protecting his weaknesses. I'm not seeing any of the above so far.

And giving a coach that monumentally choked a playoff game more power in the organization just confirms my suspicions. There is no accountability.
I think the “flatter organization structure” lends itself to a lack of accountability. “We’re all responsible or none of us are.” Well then, fire yourselves.

austins23

Hall of Fame

I'm also a 2 or 3. Normally I'd be really interested to see how the team responds after a crap tastic outing in KC. But I'm probably going to watch just because I am a glutton for punishment. This Sunday is not going to be pretty. The sad thing is that if this happens 5 or 6 games in a row, nothing will change.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I’m concerned about some of the dysfunction of this organization. The GM and HC being the same person. A counselor/spiritual advisor becoming part of the football decision making equation. Rumors of the owner sticking her nose into personnel decisions. It’s troubling.

Still, it only takes one guy who knows what he’s doing to right a ship. Look at the disaster the Chiefs were before Andy Reid came aboard. The same with the Niners before Shanahan and Lynch. The Texans haven’t hit Rock Bottom. Yet. They may not. But we know their ceiling with what they have.

I put optimism at 5. It either will change and get better. Or it won’t.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Three MLB's after giving one of their current MLB's a huge contract ....
Cunningham was a terrible contract.

I've never seen so many drag down tackles 5+ yds down the field.

Sad really. I dont have a problem on the Nuk trade, but wasting that $$$$ on guys like Mercilus/Cunningham instead of using that $$$$ on a CB1 in FA is dumbfounding.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Count me in that 2-3 range. All of these bad moves, the bad trades, paying too much, being in a position to have to pay too much, the not getting value in return, paying guys <coughMerciluscough> who have little impact, replacing Sunday football players with Wednesday through Friday football players, it’s all going to catch up here real soon.

You don’t have a draft you can count on to fix much and with all the crazy contracts you’re throwing around, I don’t have a lot of hope free agency can fix much. And there’s zero faith in the current front office structure doing much even if they weren’t handcuffed, which of course is self imposed.

I really believe dark(er) days are ahead for this franchise and the longer they stick with the current setup, the longer it’s going to take to see the light.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Random thought of the day. Using motion is a proven and effective method in helping an offense identify what the defense is doing. Anyone have any idea why the Texans don't use motion more frequently?

Because OB doesn’t know what that is. Kidding of course but I also wonder why we never do hard count or motion receivers and RBs. If we do I hardly notice it.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Random thought of the day. Using motion is a proven and effective method in helping an offense identify what the defense is doing. Anyone have any idea why the Texans don't use motion more frequently?

Because O’Brien is playing possum/ vanilla football. He’s treated this game like a pre season game. Week five he will unleash his true EP system which incorporate more motion. Lol

Gotta remember he’s the smartest guy in the room/ field.