Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I’m think along the lines of the Chiefs not being prepared for our new weapons. As well as us beating them in the regular season last year.
With a less than 100% Mahomes who still threw 3 TD, and a run game that nearly hit 200 yards eating up a ton of time and keeping Mahomes off the field.

Unless they can get something similar on the ground from Johnson & Johnson, this game will be a shootout, provided the Texans offense can actually hang, ‘cause I fear the defense ain’t stopping anyone.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Zach Fulton's training camp pleasing to Texans
Aaron Wilson Sep. 1, 2020

When the Texans restructured right guard Zach Fulton's contract, it wasn't the only change surrounding the veteran blocker beyond the $2.75 million in salary-cap space it created.

The Texans are encouraged by how Fulton, 28, has looked at training camp while lining up next to right tackle Tytus Howard.

“Zach came in in really good shape," Texans offensive coordinator Tim Kelly said. "He’s had a very, very good camp. Very consistent, he’s out there every day and he’s grinding.

"He’s playing hard, he’s being physical. He’s doing all the things that we expect of him playing that guard position."
THE REST OF THE STORY

banned1976

sleeper mode
I'll make a couple of predictions:

1) The Texans lose by two points, in similar fashion to how they lost last season's opener.
2) The officiating will be extraordinarily bad even for them. 5 officials and 2 replay officials opted out for the season and I just feel those that will be officiating this particular game will be more unprepared for the season than the teams. All that being said, the Texans will make enough mistakes to lose the game without the officials botching it for them.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Maurice Jones Drew (and 2 others) predict DW4 will win the NFL MVP in 2020. Reasoning is that while Watson put up numbers in the past, huge credit was given to DHop. This year DW4 will have the numbers by spreading the ball around and proving his greatness

Link
I respect what Watson has done, but he hasn't put up MVP numbers yet. This team will have to win 13+ games for him to win the MVP. Watson's not going to put up bigger numbers than a healthy Mahomes.

The NFL Network should fire David Carr for taking his brother as MVP. I know the Carr's are Homers, but that's above and beyond.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Because of the lack of preseason games, most teams have chosen to keep things close to the vest. All teams can be expected to present their share of surprises once they get on the field with real games. I guarantee that even the Texans have shown only very expected vanilla examples of performances. Like I said, when teams come out of their veils of secrecy, I expect many surprises come week 1.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Like I said, when teams come out of their veils of secrecy, I expect many surprises come week 1.
But, you've also said that you expect shoddy play, due to the lack of full contact practices and preseason games. I expect those teams that haven't made much change to be a leg up on those that are trying to surprise with their trickery.

Any interest in stirring the pot on Leonard Fournette? There is talent there, he’s improved year on year.
Just cleared waivers after release by the Jaguars.
Not likely Welsh. BO'b traded for David Johnson with the purpose of him being the work horse. Plus Fournette is not likely to be happy as a distant backup getting few if any carries. I don't see BO'b placing anybody above Duke Johnson either which would leave Fournette deep on the bench giving us little if any contribution. I would love to kick the tires on Fournette so to speak but I don't see it happening.

With a less than 100% Mahomes who still threw 3 TD, and a run game that nearly hit 200 yards eating up a ton of time and keeping Mahomes off the field.

Unless they can get something similar on the ground from Johnson & Johnson, this game will be a shootout, provided the Texans offense can actually hang, ‘cause I fear the defense ain’t stopping anyone.
Everything about this team is the great unknown. Far as we know the offense could suck and though not likely the defense could be better than we expect. It is a real conundrum.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
But, you've also said that you expect shoddy play, due to the lack of full contact practices and preseason games. I expect those teams that haven't made much change to be a leg up on those that are trying to surprise with their trickery.
I do expect shoddy play. I know you don't want to hear this, but unfortunately, I am even more concerned about major injuries to all teams occurring from an inadequately supervised strength and training period and no tackling experience (except for Lonnie Johnson). A majority of major NFL injuries occur during the act of tackling (concussions, lower extremity, upper extremity).............to both the tacklers and tackle recipients. Not practicing how to properly tackle or how to protect oneself during tackles cannot help but lead to bad things. No matter what you are told, players don't learn to play football, let alone safe football virtually. They do not learn to play good football virtually. Players don't get injured having virtual practices or playing virtual games.

Last edited:

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I'm thinking more along the lines of what will a healthy (their familiarity with their system) Chiefs offense do to our unknown defense.
Regular season is a different kettle of fish to the playoffs. We may see a closer game. Equally, though, let’s not start counting our chickens if we do win, or even look close. It’s one regular season game and is only worth 1 in whichever column it falls.

Fournette now signed with the Bucs (what an off-season they’ve had).

badboy

Hall of Fame
Regular season is a different kettle of fish to the playoffs. We may see a closer game. Equally, though, let’s not start counting our chickens if we do win, or even look close. It’s one regular season game and is only worth 1 in whichever column it falls.

Fournette now signed with the Bucs (what an off-season they’ve had).
I am concerned about how many injuries come out of that game next week.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Texans worked out former Seattle Seahawks RB C.J Prosise for the second time yesterday. Unfortunately, injuries hampered him, and he never carried the ball more than 30 times in a single season during his 4 years in Seattle. He has only carried the ball 65 times in his entire career. In 2018, Prosise played in 5 games before being placed on IR abdomen, groin, and hip-flexor injuries. His core injuries required surgery. In 2019, Prosise tried to come back, but only played in 9 games before suffering a severe arm fracture which required surgery. Theoretically, none of these injuries should cause long-term debilitation.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
The Texans worked out former Seattle Seahawks RB C.J Prosise for the second time yesterday. Unfortunately, injuries hampered him, and he never carried the ball more than 30 times in a single season during his 4 years in Seattle. He has only carried the ball 65 times in his entire career. In 2018, Prosise played in 5 games before being placed on IR abdomen, groin, and hip-flexor injuries. His core injuries required surgery. In 2019, Prosise tried to come back, but only played in 9 games before suffering a severe arm fracture which required surgery. Theoretically, none of these injuries should cause long-term debilitation.
With these injuries I am positive the Texans front office are chomping at the bit.

Last edited:
I wonder if he is 100% healthy now? It seems like we are seeing the kind of versatility OB wants in his RBs. Also, I didn't know Prosise started out as a safety and WR before settling in as a RB and that was only after an injury to the starter at Notre Dame.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I wonder if he is 100% healthy now? It seems like we are seeing the kind of versatility OB wants in his RBs. Also, I didn't know Prosise started out as a safety and WR before settling in as a RB and that was only after an injury to the starter at Notre Dame.
He has speed and good hands.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Signing him tp practice squad per NFLN

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The Texans have finally locked in their “Franchise QB”!!!!

Biggest question, can OB keep his mug out of the offense. Can Kelly conjure up the 2016 Watson and a Texans offense that rattled NFL defenses while fielding one of the most pitiful NFL OL’s in the league?

Let’s see if OB possesses the real know how in building a championship team around his top offensive and defensive players....especially with the money already in the books for this season and 21. He must utilize the draft in 22 since trading those picks for 21 fixes would likely blow a hole through the 21 cap.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans working out DTs Corey Liuget, Miles Brown
Aaron Wilson Sep. 9, 2020 Updated: Sep. 9, 2020 4:05 p.m.

The Texans are working out veteran defensive tackles Corey Liuget, Devaroe Lawrence and Miles Brown on Friday, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

The Texans will also work out tight end Pharaoh Brown, quarterback Taryn Brown and linebackers Vosean Joseph and Justin Phillips.

Liuget, 30, is a former Chargers first-round draft pick from Illinois. He has also played for the Raiders and Bills.

Liuget is down to 289 pounds and is fully healthy now, per sources.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Definitely, I would want to especially see what Liuget has........now ~2 years post his quadriceps tendon repair. He suffered it in Dec 2018. That year before the rupture, he was the League's 4th best run stopper. Last year, he was used very sparingly by the Bills while still recovering (for the 50% that are fortunate enough to come back from such an injury [usually only those with a history of early draft pick do...........he was R1 pick 18]), it typically takes up to 2 years to peak performance following this type of injury).

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The NFL Network should fire David Carr for taking his brother as MVP. I know the Carr's are Homers, but that's above and beyond.
I can't stand watching 10 seconds of Carr babbling on NFLN about pro QBs. Immediate channel change for me. The only qualities he seemed to have on his resume is a SB ring that he never played a down to earn and a goofy haircut.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I predict somewhere in between. I see 2020 as a maturing year for vets like Scharpie, Howard, Akins,Conley, and Lonnie. Rookies Greenard, Coulter, John Reid and Blacklock knock pads with other pros and show they belong in NFL. Vets like Fells, Cooks, and Stills have opportunity to play 2021.

Fuller, JJ Watt and David Johnson are they Texans in 2022 or cap space? It is not only about Ws in 2020 but the future.

I am not one to predict things but I will predict the outcome of this game. Chiefs-31 Texans 17. I hate predicting us on the losing end and by such a large margin but my gut just tells me that score is along the lines of what it will be. I think our team will compete early but the Chiefs will just be too much.
I like your prediction better, but I fear mine is more accurate. It would be nice if your prediction is right though.
There is talk that a vaccine is possible sometime around October or November. I doubt it comes to pass in that time frame but I will not place any bets against it.

Last edited:
I think w/o OTAs and pre-season games... the team that mostly resembles last season's team has a huge advantage.

New starting RB, new starting WR, brand new coordinators on both sides of the ball... I think the Texans come out looking sloppy.
Our teams schedule is hard under normal circumstances but under the current circumstances we are really up against it. The defense is for sure our weakness but the offense will struggle early on which has us getting burned early in the season. I have the Chiefs winning tonight by two TD's. My prediction is Chiefs 31 and Texans 17.

I hope we can get things going before it gets too late in the season. I do think by week 6 we will get to see the best our team can be.