Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah, I read your post. I don't understand your need to make the comment
He's just letting y'all know how he feels, just like TB on the other side of the isle.

I don't know why some posters have an issue with him expressing his opinion.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I have no issue, just don't understand the need to make the proclamation. Reminds me of the guys making a point to tell everyone they are leaving the board
Yep, exactly the same. :thumbup

I'd rather hear someone's take on O'Brien/Kelly's offense with the new players acquired, or their perspectives on salary cap management, or how Weaver is going to manage as a new DC in a defense that barely got any upgrades in the off-season. There are literally dozens of things to talk about just in the football realm, not to mention hundreds of other interesting topics in life beyond politics/religion.

This place is for those that want to take a break from the grind. It's the mental equivalent of floating down the Guadalupe River on an inner tube.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I read your post. I don't understand your need to make the comment
Which leads to my random thought of the day. If you are hanging out on a football forum during the offseason and even during training camp and taking the time to post that you don't plan on watching any games, once the season starts, what are the odds that you are going to watch the games? Especially if your favorite team is winning games or playing exciting football.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If tom brady catches covid before he plays in the superbowl are gonna acknowledged his opponent as the champ when Tom had to quarantine?
I would. Injuries are part of game. Houston has had fair share of injuries over the years and few said "hey in 2017 those Texans should be SB champs if JJ Watt, rookie Watson, Fiedorowicz, Donde Foreman (remember hope we had for this leading rusher in nation from U of Texas?), Ryan Griffin and Mercilus had played all season! What if RB Ellington (on team 2 weeks IIRC) had actually played slot before he was moved there? Tom Savage was teaching him how to block as Savage called play, lol! Hey you guys remember who ended game versus Titans as WR 2? Me neither. Had to look it up. Chris Thompson who had one target before that game. Yeah, Super Bowlers that year..if they had just remained healthy." No one said it because injuries while breath takers and groan makers happen.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Oh no!! Weaver just compared Greenard to Brennan Scarlett, aarrgh! The rookie is doomed to be injured any day now. I didn't even read the article, just headline and I went into a fetal curl.
I saw some video on him on the local TV sports the other night and he was impressive, has some quicks, and you know I actually saw more of a Khalil Mack likeness in Greenard than Scarlett.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I saw some video on him on the local TV sports the other night and he was impressive, has some quicks, and you know I actually saw more of a Khalil Mack likeness in Greenard than Scarlett.
That's why I'm willing to trade BMac for Yannick Ngayoue as I think Greenard can play all LB spots. Those 2 would wreck havoc and Greenie would keep much of BMac's run stopping ability on field.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I thought that most of greenard's experience was at De and OLB.
And you are correct however IMO he has skill set to play MLB. Greenard may become a Khalil Mack on outside and Yannick probably will not come to Houston but O'Brien likes players that can play other positions.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Ex-Patriots RB, baseball player Tyler Gaffney auditions for Texans
Aaron Wilson Aug. 22, 2020

Once retired from the NFL and Major League Baseball, former New England Patriots running back Tyler Gaffney is auditioning for the Texans on Saturday morning in hopes of reviving his injury-filled career.

Due to multiple torn lateral meniscus injuries and going back and forth from the NFL and baseball, Gaffney hasn't had the kind of success and durability he had hoped for.

Healthy now, Gaffney has been training for the past eight months to make a comeback. Playing at 230 pounds, he suffered three lateral meniscus tears. Now down to 205 pounds and injury-free for three years, Gaffney trained this offseason with his friend, Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey, and caught passes from Drew Brees, Chase Daniel and Kevin Hogan while training at EXOS Carlsbad with receivers coach Ricky Proehl. He has been running the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds.

THE REST OF THE STORY

RGV82

Random guy
Ex-Patriots RB, baseball player Tyler Gaffney auditions for Texans
Aaron Wilson Aug. 22, 2020

Once retired from the NFL and Major League Baseball, former New England Patriots running back Tyler Gaffney is auditioning for the Texans on Saturday morning in hopes of reviving his injury-filled career.

Due to multiple torn lateral meniscus injuries and going back and forth from the NFL and baseball, Gaffney hasn't had the kind of success and durability he had hoped for.

Healthy now, Gaffney has been training for the past eight months to make a comeback. Playing at 230 pounds, he suffered three lateral meniscus tears. Now down to 205 pounds and injury-free for three years, Gaffney trained this offseason with his friend, Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey, and caught passes from Drew Brees, Chase Daniel and Kevin Hogan while training at EXOS Carlsbad with receivers coach Ricky Proehl. He has been running the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds.

THE REST OF THE STORY
This guy is literally the most unbelievable story in NFL history. I think in his short NFL career he has been placed on Injured Reserve 6 times, has never played a single down in a regular season game, yet has 2 Super Bowl rings.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This guy is literally the most unbelievable story in NFL history. I think in his short NFL career he has been placed on Injured Reserve 6 times, has never played a single down in a regular season game, yet has 2 Super Bowl rings.
He has been indeed admirably persistent. His first Training practice play in the NFL resulted in a significant meniscus. What was not widely reported was that instead of the run of the mill medial meniscus tear, his injury was to lateral meniscus...........the meniscus that carries most of the knee's load.............the same injury that led to Clowney's microfracture, except that Gaffney underwent a repair instead of an excision of the meniscus. He subsequently had 2 more injuries to his medial meniscus..........all requiring surgery. It was amazing that he was able to walk normally, let alone to continue a baseball career.............and now to again pursue a career back in the NFL.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
I want to get excited about this season but I can’t stop thinking this whole thing is going to be shelved due to the pandemic. I really believe Watson will elevate his game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I want to get excited about this season but I can’t stop thinking this whole thing is going to be shelved due to the pandemic. I really believe Watson will elevate his game.
What makes you think he will elevate his game?

He certainly has the weapons to elevate his game? Is this why you think he will get better? If so I agree he should get better.

chicagotexan2

What makes you think he will elevate his game?

He certainly has the weapons to elevate his game? Is this why you think he will get better? If so I agree he should get better.
I still hate that Hopkins was traded for a broken down rb and a draft pick but i
Believe Watson is gaining a better grasp of the offense. As far as the weapons around him, ASSUMING cooks, fuller and the oline can stay healthy this can be a potent offense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I still hate that Hopkins was traded for a broken down rb and a draft pick but i
Believe Watson is gaining a better grasp of the offense. As far as the weapons around him, ASSUMING cooks, fuller and the oline can stay healthy this can be a potent offense.
So you're thinking like I am, DW4 will be better off without Nuk?

chicagotexan2

So you're thinking like I am, DW4 will be better off without Nuk?
Not necessarily. Nuke is not T.O. whining to get ball, Nuke was exceptional with garbage QBs and paired great with Watson.

I think Watson is only getting better and if the oline is cohesive and stays healthy they will give him and his wrs the ability to make plays.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans working out DT, Aldine Davis grad Javier Edwards, others
Aaron Wilson Aug. 26, 2020 Updated: Aug. 26, 2020 4:06 p.m.

The Texans are working out former Aldine Davis defensive tackle Javier Edwards, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.

The Texans are also auditioning running back C.J. Prosise, quarterback Cody Kessler, wide receiver Ryan Grant, center Jon Halapio, defensive tackle Edgar Cerenord, linebacker Deon Lacy and offensive gaurd Spencer Drango.

THE REST OF THE STORY

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
FROM MCCLAIN'S MAILBAG:

Q: Has O’Brien gotten soft? I haven’t seen ya’ll giving him a hard time in the paper and on the radio. What’s the deal? Has he finally mellowed? — Tony S.

A: O’Brien soft? O’Brien mellowed? He definitely hasn’t gotten soft, Tony, and he sure hasn’t mellowed. This is his seventh season. There’s the offseason Bill, the preseason Bill and the in-season Bill. They’re all different. I’ve got to give O’Brien some credit. Without preseason games and fans attending camp, a lot of coaches cracked down on information they allowed the media to use at camp. That caused some issues around the league. They didn’t want opponents getting too much info from us. Those of us who cover the Texans have always had restrictions. We can’t report trick plays. If we see a position change or a player elevated or demoted, we can't ask O’Brien about it. We know he’s going to avoid giving us injury information unless it’s a serious injury like linebacker Duke Ejiofor’s torn ACL. He’s always going to be guarded about injuries like all coaches. But at least he answers our questions. I think we had our best camp dealing with O’Brien. Maybe he’s learned what Jack Pardee told me one season: “I’ve never seen a member of the media win or lose a game.”

banned1976

sleeper mode
Out of curiosity, does anyone consider Cunnigham the 3rd best ILB in football or a $14.5 million a year player?
I don’t and I really like Cunningham. I wanted him to stay here, I’m just not sure if they’ve been spending the cap wisely lately.

I’m not as interested as I used to be (when Troy was around) in digging through the cap numbers but are they really planning on extending Watson? I’m not so sure anymore. O’Brien has said so but man, the actions lately don’t seem like it.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
PFF HOU Texans
@PFF_Texans

In his third season, LB Zach Cunningham took a huge step forward against the run. * 89.2 run defense grade (4th among LB) * 108 solo tackles (T-2nd) * 65 stops (1st) * 14.2 run stop percentage (1st)
Doc posted this on another thread
We’ll have to see how he does now that Reader isn’t doing his thing in front of him.

Out of curiosity, does anyone consider Cunnigham the 3rd best ILB in football or a $14.5 million a year player?
Due to the consistently rising cap, where the money ranks on signing isn’t necessarily a reflection of how good the player is compared to others around the league. Texans could be caught with their pants down if the cap shrinks significantly, though.

The money isn’t a huge problem, but as Steel points out, the fact he and McKinney can’t cover TE’s between them, and TE’s are a hugely important part of the current NFL meta.

It still shocks me that they moved on from Gipson. Seems like another season of Gipson and McKinney, before trying to find a ILB that can do that job would have been the most resource friendly solution.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
One year later, O'Brien believes Tunsil, Clowney trades were in Texans' best interests
Published: Aug 31, 2020 at 08:06 AM
Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer

One year ago today, Bill O'Brien made a series of moves that reshaped the Houston Texans' franchise.

The Texans coach and GM shipped two first-round picks, a second-round pick, corner Johnson Bademosi and offensive lineman Julie'n Davenport to Miami for offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, receiver Kenny Stills, along with fourth and sixth-round picks.

O'Brien then sent franchise-tagged Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle for a third-rounder and linebackers Jacob Martin and Barkevious Mingo while agreeing to pay $7 million of Clowney's tag.

The moves completely remodeled Houston's future, particularly after O'Brien later handed Tunsil a three-year extension worth $66 million in April.

The day before the anniversary, O'Brien was asked about the pair of big trades he made. With the benefit of hindsight, the coach believes they were the right course for Houston to take.

"Look, I think that was a day where we made some moves that we felt were in the best interest of the team, not only last year but moving into the future. I believe that if you look at the players that we were able to acquire or maybe -- whether it was a pick we used to acquire a player, I believe it made us a better team. I have trouble remembering my own wedding anniversary so I'm glad you brought up that anniversary. But look, I think that this year's a little bit different. I wouldn't expect us to celebrate that anniversary tomorrow with a bunch of trades, but you never know.

"But I do think that it improved our team. Did it improve it to where we want to be? No, but everybody is involved in that. Coaching, playing. We've won a bunch of games over that last couple of years, but we all know that us and the city of Houston want us to do better and we're working hard to do better. But I do believe that day made us a better team both last year and in some ways into the future."
THE REST OF THE STORY

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
One year later, O'Brien believes Tunsil, Clowney trades were in Texans' best interests

One year ago today, Bill O'Brien made a series of moves that reshaped the Houston Texans' franchise.
The Texans coach and GM shipped two first-round picks, a second-round pick, corner Johnson Bademosi and offensive lineman Julie'n Davenport to Miami for offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, receiver Kenny Stills, along with fourth and sixth-round picks.
O'Brien then sent franchise-tagged Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle for a third-rounder and linebackers Jacob Martin and Barkevious Mingo while agreeing to pay $7 million of Clowney's tag.
The moves completely remodeled Houston's future, particularly after O'Brien later handed Tunsil a three-year extension worth $66 million in April.
The day before the anniversary, O'Brien was asked about the pair of big trades he made. With the benefit of hindsight, the coach believes they were the right course for Houston to take.
Getting a franchise left tackle in Tunsil cost Houston a lot in draft capital and money on a new contract. Not having a first-round pick until 2022 hinders the long-term upside, but left tackles like Tunsil are few and far between.
The Clowney trade ended up a wash with Houston trading the third-rounder they received to the Raiders for Gareon Conley. One can argue that the Texans would have been better keeping Clowney last year, but the pass rusher still being on the free-agent market as we head into September underscores the difficulty in getting a long-term deal done.
The moves last year were O'Brien's first two big salvos after taking over complete power in Houston. The trade of De'Andre Hopkins in 2020 seems more questionable than the swaps a year ago. Perhaps on the anniversary of that deal, O'Brien will have a different perspective.
https://www.nfl.com/news/one-year-later-o-brien-believes-tunsil-clowney-trades-were-in-texans-best-intere

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Can he cover a TE?

If not, then nope.
Could Ray Lewis cover TEs?

Don’t get me wrong. Like you I can’t believe we paid this guy. A fine player, sure. But he’s not elite. & we paid him like he’s elite.

This team will not game plan Zach Cunningham as the free man wrecking havoc, ala Ray Lewis (who, in his prime, would be posterized by Travis Kielce, Gronk, or even Ertz).

For you

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Published: Aug 31, 2020 at 08:06 AM
Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer

"Look, I think that was a day where we made some moves that we felt were in the best interest of the team, not only last year but moving into the future. I believe that if you look at the players that we were able to acquire or maybe -- whether it was a pick we used to acquire a player, I believe it made us a better team. I have trouble remembering my own wedding anniversary so I'm glad you brought up that anniversary. But look, I think that this year's a little bit different. I wouldn't expect us to celebrate that anniversary tomorrow with a bunch of trades, but you never know.

"But I do think that it improved our team. Did it improve it to where we want to be? No, but everybody is involved in that. Coaching, playing. We've won a bunch of games over that last couple of years, but we all know that us and the city of Houston want us to do better and we're working hard to do better. But I do believe that day made us a better team both last year and in some ways into the future."
THE REST OF THE STORY
More or less, though we didn’t get crap for Clowney, I’m glad he did it. We wouldn’t get crap for him had we made him play on the tag & tried to trade him this year.

Even if we managed to sign him to a long term deal we’d end up paying half of it to get someone to take him on... still getting nothing in return.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The Texans are playing a meaningful game in just over a week. Anyone want to predict...

the score?

number of total penalties?

rushing yardages for each team?

anything else?

Of all football seasons, this one deserves the most prognostication. We’ve had so little to cheer about and talk about (sports related) in 2020.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Texans are playing a meaningful game in just over a week. Anyone want to predict...

the score?

anything else?

Of all football seasons, this one deserves the most prognostication. We’ve had so little to cheer about and talk about (sports related) in 2020.
I can only predict. . .an L. :fortune:

Texansballer74

The Marine

the score?

anything else?

The Texans come away with the W.

Texans 38
Chiefs 33