Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

giphy.gif

Guess I won't be going to the stadium anymore.. oh well, I enjoy the view on my 75" TV alot more and the concession prices are MUCH CHEAPER. I'm so glad the NFL did away with local blackouts. Average Joe isn't paying those prices. Not in this economy, that's ridiculous.
Makes you wonder how they justify a 99% increase eh?
Gotta pay for the new unis somehow I guess.
I agree with the TV aspect - but the atmosphere at that playoff victory was something else .

I agree with the TV aspect - but the atmosphere at that playoff victory was something else .
I dont think the Texans increased that much, on the re-sale hubs people were selling at a loss to now selling at a profit if I understood this

If I remember correctly, Texans fans were not getting breaks on ticket prices during the years of pathetic performance.
This was me, I couldn't sell my lower bowl tickets for face value...or 1/2 of face of value...or for a beer and a hotdog (non-stadium prices), during the tragedy that O'Brien wrought. Between taking thousands of dollars of loss and some kiddos that needed my attention I sold gave away my original PSLs, the worst thing is that I turned down a 7k per PSL offered just a few years ago.

Out first home game the tickets starts at $170 while the Titans first home game the tickets starts at $190. They’re probably even higher when play a team like the Chiefs.

The Panthers against the Chargers starts at $34.

That pic is referring to aftermarket prices. They're re-sale, not what the Texans are pricing them for.

This was also mentioned two or three times after it was posted.

Nope, I'm pretty sure that would set the NFL fans on fire!
Why? They still have to sell them at face value that the team sets. I would think they would get a small discount due to buying large groups of tickets.
In other words, if a ticket sells for $100, the hubs would get them for $90 and sell them to the fans at 100.

But perhaps I don't understand the process.

Why? They don't have to sell them at face value that the team sets. I would think they would get a small discount due to buying large groups of tickets.
In other words, if a ticket sells for $100, the hubs would get them for $90 and sell them to the fans at 100 200.

But perhaps I don't understand the process.
^FIFY
It would artificially increase the prices for fans, and the team would be taking a hit on prices. If the team can sell all of their tickets, why would they take a $10 hit per ticket? I don't know about the last couple of years (2020-2022), but for a long time that the Texans reported that they sold out every game. I think that ~95% of their tickets were sold to season ticket holders.

This was me, I couldn't sell my lower bowl tickets for face value...or 1/2 of face of value...or for a beer and a hotdog (non-stadium prices), during the tragedy that O'Brien wrought. Between taking thousands of dollars of loss and some kiddos that needed my attention I sold gave away my original PSLs, the worst thing is that I turned down a 7k per PSL offered just a few years ago.
I turned my PSL's in after Lovie was fired. I couldn't sell them.

Best decision I've made in a long time.

Out first home game the tickets starts at $170 while the Titans first home game the tickets starts at $190. They’re probably even higher when play a team like the Chiefs.

The Panthers against the Chargers starts at $34.
The McNair's are still very much a for profit org. They're making up for the lost money over the past 4-5 yrs

I think I get what you are trying to say, kinda "make hay while the sun shines"... buuttt... the bolded, when or how did you ever get the impression that any owner in the NFL is not here to make a profit?
There's a difference in the way NFL teams used to make a profit.

There's a difference in the way NFL teams used to make a profit.

I'm sorry, but no there is not. From 1920 onwards NFL owners have been trying to make a profit, the AFL started so they could try and get a piece of the pie the NFL was eating. The merger happened because they knew they could make more money together than separately.

And on and on through the USFL, the XFL, NFL Europe, CFL, and European soccer (football) leagues, all have a goal of winning, sure, but the ultimate goal is profit.

I think we older folks tend to romanticize things from our younger years and say sheet like "man I remember when professional football was played by real men and the love of the game".

But it's always been about money. If you want to only watch football that is played for enjoyment head down to your local park and watch out-of-shape rolley polley dudes like myself run around in slow motion while trying to relive the glory days.

The only thing that has changed since 1920 about the NFL and money is the scope of profit we're talking about.

Every good team is charging around the same. It’s a business in which you should be looking for a profit.
Yes you should.

Compare today's NFL to Wellington Mara's NFL. Realize that if owners like Mara, Hals, Rosenbloom etc ... had the attitude of today's ownership that the NFL probably wouldn't be in existence today. The NFL was a family oriented sport and ownership had a long range vision for the sport. Heck today's NFL isn't even really America's game anymore. It's why I've taken to watching a lot more college football. If I wasn't on this MB I would probably even be watching less NFL football than I currently do.

I'm sorry, but no there is not. From 1920 onwards NFL owners have been trying to make a profit, the AFL started so they could try and get a piece of the pie the NFL was eating. The merger happened because they knew they could make more money together than separately.

And on and on through the USFL, the XFL, NFL Europe, CFL, and European soccer (football) leagues, all have a goal of winning, sure, but the ultimate goal is profit.

I think we older folks tend to romanticize things from our younger years and say sheet like "man I remember when professional football was played by real men and the love of the game".

But it's always been about money. If you want to only watch football that is played for enjoyment head down to your local park and watch out-of-shape rolley polley dudes like myself run around in slow motion while trying to relive the glory days.

The only thing that has changed since 1920 about the NFL and money is the scope of profit we're talking about.
You might want to see how the league was run under Rozelle and Tags vs God'ell.

BTW, if you want to watch true, not rigged football, then watch highschool and college football.

It's certainly not a sin for them to make a profit, Exactly! SB acts like it’s a sin for the McNairs to make a profit off of their team. He’s been repeating the same thing every year, “ The McNair’s are only in it for the money”.
It's certainly not a sin for them to make profits. It's also fine that fans can spend their money anyway they want too. I just look at this size increase in tickets because they finally put a decent team on the field to be price gouging.

Truthfully the NFL could care less about season ticket holders or fans in general as long as they keep tuning in to the games on TV. TV has taken the priority over fans.

It's why there will be Wednesday and Thursday games this year and that the owners are ruining the game itself in the name of player safety, when in reality they could care less about player safety or what's good for the game in particular.

It's certainly not a sin for them to make profits. It's also fine that fans can spend their money anyway they want too. I just look at this size increase in tickets because they finally put a decent team on the field to be price gouging.

Truthfully the NFL could care less about season ticket holders or fans in general as long as they keep tuning in to the games on TV. TV has taken the priority over fans.

It's why there will be Wednesday and Thursday games this year and that the owners are ruining the game itself in the name of player safety, when in reality they could care less about player safety or what's good for the game in particular.
I don't know if the NFL owners would be building $5.5B dollar stadiums if they didn't care about the fan attendance. SoFi stadium has an average tickets cost of $533, times 70,000 fans equals $37M per game, times 17 games equals $634M per season. Add in parking, food, and beer and you're at over a billion dollars per season.

Last edited:
You might want to see how the league was run under Rozelle and Tags vs God'ell.

BTW, if you want to watch true, not rigged football, then watch highschool and college football.

Last comment on this, and we can agree to disagree.

But I'm 100% certain all the people you listed were involved in the NFL after 1920 so I DID include them in my comment. Romanticize all you want, every one of the people you listed were there for the money and to help the NFL and its owners grow its revenue and year-on-year profits.

You're mad because the world has changed so how the NFL goes about increasing their profits changed with it. Those guys you love to mention from yesteryear would be behaving in a somewhat similar way as today's modern NFL so they could accomplish the same goal - 'mo money.

Yep. Now talk about the jobs, tax revenues, businesses, charitable organizations, income tax revenues, fan euphoria, etc. that the NFL stimulates. Why are people posting on a fan forum 24-7 instead of walking away from it and following instead some altruistic pathway to their concept of The Good? Simple. People only ***** without rationalizing this model for their own similar business practices.

I don't know if the NFL owners would be building $5.5B dollar stadiums if they didn't care about the fan attendance. SoFi stadium has an average tickets cost of $533, times 70,000 fans equals $37M per game, times 17 games equals $634M per season. Add in parking, food, and beer and your at over a billion dollars per season.
They aren't building stadiums.

Our tax dollars are building them.

Last comment on this, and we can agree to disagree.

But I'm 100% certain all the people you listed were involved in the NFL after 1920 so I DID include them in my comment. Romanticize all you want, every one of the people you listed were there for the money and to help the NFL and its owners grow its revenue and year-on-year profits.

You're mad because the world has changed so how the NFL goes about increasing their profits changed with it. Those guys you love to mention from yesteryear would be behaving in a somewhat similar way as today's modern NFL so they could accomplish the same goal - 'mo money.
You're mistaken if you think I'm mad I could care less. I made the decision to not participate in part of the grift. I certainly don't care about how the rest of the world thinks.

You might want to read up on Mara, Halas etc ..

God'ells and ownership are ruining the NFL though.

They aren't building stadiums.

Our tax dollars are building them.
Actually SoFi was 100% privately funded with no tax dollars involved. I agree that there was an era, but that appears to be coming to an end (rightfully so), with several 'No' votes going against Chicago.

"For more than a decade, it's been obvious that voters won't support any proposal to give NFL owners taxpayer money for stadium construction or renovation." Link

Actually SoFi was 100% privately funded with no tax dollars involved. I agree that there was an era, but that appears to be coming to an end (rightfully so), with several 'No' votes going against Chicago.

"For more than a decade, it's been obvious that voters won't support any proposal to give NFL owners taxpayer money for stadium construction or renovation." Link
Agreed, but new stadiums are being built.

Yes you should.

Compare today's NFL to Wellington Mara's NFL. Realize that if owners like Mara, Hals, Rosenbloom etc ... had the attitude of today's ownership that the NFL probably wouldn't be in existence today. The NFL was a family oriented sport and ownership had a long range vision for the sport. Heck today's NFL isn't even really America's game anymore. It's why I've taken to watching a lot more college football. If I wasn't on this MB I would probably even be watching less NFL football than I currently do.
College football is worse than the NFL now. At least I know if my NFL team signs a player he's under team control. This whole portal and realignment of conferences solely based on dollars and not regional travel considerations (Stanford and Cal joining the ACC). Amateur sports at the college level are dead. A all overseeing "college commissioner" and "college union rep" are coming next.. We just don't know their names yet.

Last edited:
I don't know if the NFL owners would be building $5.5B dollar stadiums if they didn't care about the fan attendance. SoFi stadium has an average tickets cost of $533, times 70,000 fans equals $37M per game, times 17 games equals $634M per season. Add in parking, food, and beer and you're at over a billion dollars per season.
The teams only get 8 or 9 home games per season, so make that $335,790,000 every other year (9 home games). $298,480,000 for 8 home games. Plus parking and concessions.
Texans average ticket price, in 2023, was $236. That comes to $148,680,000 for 9 home games.
Most, if not all, NFL stadiums are multi-use facilities, so revenue isn't restricted to NFL games. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo generated ~$192,760,000 in 2023.

The teams only get 8 or 9 home games per season, so make that $335,790,000 every other year (9 home games). $298,480,000 for 8 home games. Plus parking and concessions.
Texans average ticket price, in 2023, was $236. That comes to $148,680,000 for 9 home games.
Most, if not all, NFL stadiums are multi-use facilities, so revenue isn't restricted to NFL games. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo generated ~$192,760,000 in 2023.
What part of the 193 million of the rodeo went to the texans?

What part of the 193 million of the rodeo went to the texans?
No idea. The McNair's don't own Reliant stadium. Harris county does. It's ran by the Harris County Sports & Convention Corporation, a unit of Harris County. I didn't know that until I looked into what % the Texans get from the rodeo.

No idea. The McNair's don't own Reliant stadium. Harris county does. It's ran by the Harris County Sports & Convention Corporation, a unit of Harris County. I didn't know that until I looked into what % the Texans get from the rodeo.
I think all they get is lease fees unless the Rodeo has a separate lease for that. Somebody pays for use of the stadium year around. If it's the Texans, then they would sub-lease to the rodeo and any other events like college and high school games, concerts, truck-pulls and what-not.

Back