Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

It’s absurd to say nothing positive has happened to the Texans since Easterby has been there and that’s he’s a bad luck charm some how. You framed the argument not me. Own it.

Do you tell your friends that Easterby planned 9/11?

Things really turned around when Caserio finally put Easterby in the corner. Now I know Cal may have said, "nobody puts my Easterby in the corner" but I'm fairly certain Caserio put his foot down and told Cal that he stays if Easterby is seen, but not heard. Haven't heard much of anything from Easterby in quite some time.....to be honest, I wouldn't even know if he was still with the Texans if folks didn't bring his name up.

Things really turned around when Caserio finally put Easterby in the corner. Now I know Cal may have said, "nobody puts my Easterby in the corner" but I'm fairly certain Caserio put his foot down and told Cal that he stays if Easterby is seen, but not heard. Haven't heard much of anything from Easterby in quite some time.....to be honest, I wouldn't even know if he was still with the Texans if folks didn't bring his name up.
Opt Caserio put Cal in the corner too. Lol

Random thought. Thinking of the Howard signing. With all of the TEs drafted and signed under BOB, is Darren Fells or Jordan Akins, the best Texans TE since Owen Daniels?

With the current TE group. Any confidence any of them can exceed either Fell's production in 2019 (34 RECs, 341 YDs, 7 TDs) and 2020 (21 RECs, 312 YDs, 4 TDs)? How about matching Akins' production in 2019 (36 RECs, 418 YDs, 6 TDs) or 2020 (37 RECs, 403 YDs, 3 TDs)?

Random thought. Thinking of the Howard signing. With all of the TEs drafted and signed under BOB, is Darren Fells or Jordan Akins, the best Texans TE since Owen Daniels?

With the current TE group. Any confidence any of them can exceed either Fell's production in 2019 (34 RECs, 341 YDs, 7 TDs) and 2020 (21 RECs, 312 YDs, 4 TDs)? How about matching Akins' production in 2019 (36 RECs, 418 YDs, 6 TDs) or 2020 (37 RECs, 403 YDs, 3 TDs)?

For single seasons for receiving yards, CJ Fiedorowicz, Garrett Graham, and Ryan Griffin had better single seasons, but they were all pretty much one and done.

For single seasons for receiving yards, CJ Fiedorowicz, Garrett Graham, and Ryan Griffin had better single seasons, but they were all pretty much one and done.
Good catch! Maybe Akins and Fells stood out to me because they did it over multiple seasons and I forgot the single season TEs you mentioned. It's weird thinking about these TEs with one productive season and instead of taking the next step, their production decreases and then they are off the team. Time will tell if the current group of TEs will follow the same pattern.

Graham: 2013 (49 RECs, 545 YDs and 5 TDs)
Fiedorowicz: 2016 (54 RECs, 559 YDs and 5 TDs)
Griffin: 2016 (50 RECs, 442 YDs and 2 TDs)

I don't think a lot of wins are something we should expect at this stage in the teams rebuilding. I will be happy if our team is competetive in most of their games. That is probably just me though. Perhaps I am too easy to please.

Then win more than they won last year. Show some growth and improvement.

That is the crux of your question. This is a losing franchise. More losing, even "competitively", is still losing, and losing is never going to instill hope that they are turning anything around.

Just being better than boneheaded decisions by O'Brien and Easterby is such a low bar that I'd assume most fans have higher standards for basing hope and expectations on.

At this point the Texans have to earn it. That's all there is to it.

That is the crux of your question. This is a losing franchise. More losing, even "competitively", is still losing, and losing is never going to instill hope that they are turning anything around.

Just being better than boneheaded decisions by O'Brien and Easterby is such a low bar that I'd assume most fans have higher standards for basing hope and expectations on.

I foresee eight wins at most and six wins as most likely. I will be suprised if we win more than 6 games. Only because I don't think this team is beyond that at this point in their rebuild. For me it is not a matter of being better than boneheaded decisions by BO'b and Easterby. We had some winning seasons under BO'b and there was plenty that was obviously wrong none the less. I would love to see a lot more wins this season than last but I just don't think we are at that point yet. Culture and accountability for everybody is important and how this team plays and competes will say plenty about where we are in regards to both. I expect better decisions of coarse and I hope Lovie's feet are held to the fire and he is held accountable for any poor choices he may make. I want a LOT of wins but if our team loses yet they compete as opposed to seeming uninspired, I can deal with that myself. I think wins are most important but I also think we have to expect growing pains and be reasonable in regards to the talent we have or lack thereof we have on our team.

Last edited:
Seeing Blacklock and Scharping both gone really makes me realise that when you call for the head coach to be fired, you are accepting that all those nearly men that you are hoping will turn the corner and start playing up to potential are likely gone.

I remember exactly the same thing happening with the Kubiak to OBrien transition, and similar when Kubes took over.

The do over undoes any good that’s gone as well as what you were unhappy with, because those guys aren’t what the new boss is looking for.

Scharping looked a quality starter in the making as a rookie, not sure where it all went wrong. Blacklock has flattered to deceive throughout.

Seeing Blacklock and Scharping both gone really makes me realise that when you call for the head coach to be fired, you are accepting that all those nearly men that you are hoping will turn the corner and start playing up to potential are likely gone.

I remember exactly the same thing happening with the Kubiak to OBrien transition, and similar when Kubes took over.

The do over undoes any good that’s gone as well as what you were unhappy with, because those guys aren’t what the new boss is looking for.

Scharping looked a quality starter in the making as a rookie, not sure where it all went wrong. Blacklock has flattered to deceive throughout.
Happens all the time, the guys close to the situation fail to see what fans and new faces do, the guys they thought had it just didn't. It hurts to admit you were wrong so you keep doubling down or investing. You can do that in the market too if you think you were right, keep buying that losing stock until someone kicks you between the legs or you capitulate. In the NFL, I feel you need a base level of athleticism, but the guys that make it have the grind mentality and high football IQ so they develop, prepare and play fast with instincts. The superstars add that plus athleticism on top of those traits.

Some think we can...

And some think we should have all-pros at every position
Uhh, Davidson is a talented young player that Beane picked up on the ww and stashed on his PS. Hardly an all pro type player, but a really good developmental guy. It's not surprising to me that a really good talent evaluator like Beane picked this guy up.

What are your expectations for a team that's really in yr 2 of a rebuild. I like what they've done this off season, but against this schedule I don't expect more than 4-6 wins. Gotta keep realistic expectations.

It hurts to admit you were wrong so you keep doubling down or investing
I don't know if that was the issue.

This is just more affirmation how bad this roster was/is. They weren't fooling themselves thinking Blacklock was something he wasn't. He wasn't a starter. Most of his snaps were due to injury than earning.

Last year they didn't have someone better to take his spot. This year they found two more worthy of that spot.

Hopefully those two will continue to play better for years to come, or they will be replaced.

What are your expectations for a team that's really in yr 2 of a rebuild. I like what they've done this off season, but against this schedule I don't expect more than 4-6 wins. Gotta keep realistic expectations.
Well with this chain of thought why even set expectations for a team that’s in a two year rebuild. Why even ask this type of question. Just watch the game without all the negative or positive expectations. And you won’t be disappointed.

Last edited:
As I sit here and watch the Georgia vs Oregon game, it only reinforces my convictions that Texans should've drafted Charles Cross at #3 and then draft Kelee Ringo CB, Georgia with their first pick next year. Tunsil is gone next year along with his obnoxious salary (good riddance). That's far too much common sense and logic for the Texans. This current Texans mindset, operations, and behavior set my expectations somewhere below average and ordinary and less than mediocre.

Well with this chain of thought why even set expectations for a team that’s in a two year rebuild. Why even ask this type of question. Just watch the game with our all the negative or positive expectations. And you won’t be disappointed.
I expect our team to win a Super Bowl this season! Anything less is a failure!

Just kidding. You do make a valid point.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure but it looks like there are only 3 players still on the Texans 53 man roster drafted by the Texans before Caserio came.
Tytus Howard - 2019
Jonathan Greenard - 2020
Charlie Heck - 2020
Plus a couple of UDFA
Jon Weeks - 2010
Ka'imi Fairbairn - 2016

And Jordan Akins - 2018 on the PS

Well with this chain of thought why even set expectations for a team that’s in a two year rebuild. Why even ask this type of question. Just watch the game without all the negative or positive expectations. And you won’t be disappointed.
I look at the team differently than you do. I know they aren't winning a SB next yr. So I just want to watch the progress guys like Mills/Collins/Green on offense and Stingley/Pitire/Owens make on defense. Adding great players at this part of the rebuild is much more important than record. IMHO

As I sit here and watch the Georgia vs Oregon game, it only reinforces my convictions that Texans should've drafted Charles Cross at #3 and then draft Kelee Ringo CB, Georgia with their first pick next year. Tunsil is gone next year along with his obnoxious salary (good riddance). That's far too much common sense and logic for the Texans. This current Texans mindset, operations, and behavior set my expectations somewhere below average and ordinary and less than mediocre.
I wouldn't be so sure Tonsil will be gone after next yr. Posters have been saying this for yrs

I wouldn't be so sure Tonsil will be gone after next yr. Posters have been saying this for yrs
Well because of poor planning and money mismanagement you may be right. Inadequate planning does cause people to do desperate things. They should have traded him for a 1 this year but I doubt anyone wants to take on that contract. There is an opt-out next year. Regardless if he's not gone next year, he is the year after. So if the Texans are not without an LT next year they are the year after. And Cross would be starting the 3rd year of a 5-year contract at half the price.

I doubt that the pathology was not present while he was in the NFL. No doubt drugs have been a factor for a long time. Sadly, his parentage has been far from a positive factor. His father, Stanley Wilson Sr., was also a former NFL player, who battled drug addiction during his career and went AWOL the night before the 1989 Super Bowl while playing for the Cincinnati Bengals. Wilson Sr. is currently serving 22 years in a California prison for burglary.

********************************************************************************************

Former Lions’ Stanley Wilson Jr. Arrested For Allegedly Breaking Into A Home In Hollywood Hills
user-logo-96x96.png
LOJSports |
Sep 2, 2022

Former Lions cornerback Stanley Wilson Jr. has reportedly been arrested for breaking into a home. Wilson allegedly broke into a $30 million home in Hollywood Hills on two separate occasions. The most recent is reported to have happened on August 24th, when Wilson was moving and damaging items, according to police. Wilson is accused of taking a bath in the outside fountain with soap that he allegedly found from inside the home, and causing $5,000 in property damage during his second alleged break-in.

Wilson was arrested both times by the Los Angeles Police Department, and was charged with two felony counts of vandalism and one count of second-degree burglary. This is not Wilson’s first time being in trouble with the law. The former 3rd-round pick was arrested in both 2016 and 2017, also for allegedly breaking into other people’s homes.

In June of 2016, Wilson was reportedly shot in the abdomen during an alleged attempt to break into a home in Southwest Portland while naked. On top of being sentenced to 10 days in jail for the incident, Wilson was also reportedly placed under three-years probation, had to complete mandatory drug treatment, pay restitution for damages done to the home, and write an apology letter.

2017 was no better for Wilson. Not only was the former cornerback arrested in January for allegedly walking around a neighborhood naked, but he was also arrested in February for allegedly breaking into yet another home while naked. Wilson was drafted by the Detroit Lions in 2005, and only played two seasons before suffering a career ending Achilles injury in 2008. Wilson logged 89 total tackles, 8 pass break-ups, and 1 force fumble in his short career.

Well because of poor planning and money mismanagement you may be right. Inadequate planning does cause people to do desperate things. They should have traded him for a 1 this year but I doubt anyone wants to take on that contract. There is an opt-out next year. Regardless if he's not gone next year, he is the year after. So if the Texans are not without an LT next year they are the year after. And Cross would be starting the 3rd year of a 5-year contract at half the price.
Keep on counting those dollars. Tell me what the cap is going to be in 3 years?

Keep on counting those dollars. Tell me what the cap is going to be in 3 years?
Those dollars are completely irrelevant. What is important is if you cannot manage a small salary cap, you certainly cannot manage a bigger salary cap. A larger salary cap only compounds your money mismanagement mistake abilities on a much larger scale. In other words, the FUBAR and SNAFU of your poor money mismanagement skills are displayed on a much grander stage.

Just because you've more money to spend does not make you the Jamie Dimon of NFL salary cap management. That's not how it works. If you're the bankrupt Lehman Brothers of the small salary cap, you're the bankrupt Lehman Brothers of the large salary cap. Hopefully, the difference is Lovie brings some fiscal responsibilities and sense to the Kirby Boardroom Roundtable.

Nick Caserio's money management skills were something he was not trained for, and one of the absolute worst egregious acts that quickly indicated to all that Nick was in way overhead and did not know what he was doing. It started with Culley's $20 million and was followed by the wasted restructuring of so many contracts that were either cut or traded before the end of the year. That is the crux of the matter, not the $$$.

What's going to happen in 3 years? Well, if things don't change, the 2025 salary cap will be managed as poorly as the 2021 salary cap, if not worse.

Last edited:
Interesting/sad 2021 Offensive Line Ranking:

29. HOUSTON TEXANS (UP 1)

LT Geron Christian Sr. | 59.5
LG Tytus Howard | 51.9
C Justin Britt | 64.5
RG Max Scharping | 60.0
RT Charlie Heck | 56.0

Eleven different offensive linemen played at least 58 snaps for the Texans this season, with 10 of them playing over 200. The team’s biggest issue is that those who played the most earned some of the worst grades, with the unit's top three players by workload earning PFF grades between 51.9 and 60.0. Five different linemen earned a run-blocking grade lower than 50.0, and the line as a whole earned the worst PFF run-blocking grade (47.4) in the league — the only unit to grade lower than 55.0.

Our Oline should take a big step up this season.

Those dollars are completely irrelevant. What is important is if you cannot manage a small salary cap, you certainly cannot manage a bigger salary cap. A larger salary cap only compounds your money mismanagement abilities on a much larger scale. In other words, the FUBAR and SNAFU of your money mismanagement skills are displayed on a much grander stage.

Just because you've more money to spend does not make you the Jamie Dimon of NFL salary cap management. That's not how it works. If you're the bankrupt Lehman Brothers of the small salary cap, you're the bankrupt Lehman Brothers of the large salary cap. Hopefully, the difference is Lovie brings some fiscal responsibilities and sense to the Kirby Boardroom Roundtable.

Nick Caserio's money management skills were something he was not trained for, and one of the absolute worst egregious acts that quickly indicated to all that Nick was in way overhead and did not know what he was doing. It started with Culley's $20 million and was followed by the wasted restructuring of so many contracts that were either cut or traded before the end of the year. That is the crux of the matter, not the $$$.

What's going to happen in 3 years? Well, if things don't change, the 2025 salary cap will be managed as poorly as the 2021 salary cap, if not worse.
So you've got a case of the red azz because Caserio decided he wants Cooks/Tunsil.to be the veteran leaders of their position groups and restructured them to make sure they would be here for the rebuild. You're really going to be upset when Caserio re-signs Tunsil again.

Whatever it is, chances are these guys will have spent most of it two years in advance.

At least that is the pattern we're seeing.
I've lost track. Do we now only care about the salary cap when a QB will be at the TT mythical QB percentage threshold or do we care when the QB is under the mythical QB percentage threshold, but the cap is being spent/wasted on average, older veterans? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've lost track. Do we now only care about the salary cap when a QB will be at the TT mythical QB percentage threshold or do we care when the QB is under the mythical QB percentage threshold, but the cap is being spent/wasted on average, older veterans? Inquiring minds want to know.
Yes

Reactions: JB
Back