Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I’m interested in the waiver wire acquisition of Cowboys 2020 4th round pick Reggie Robinson. Long rangy CB out of Tulsa that year.

Apparently he was asked to switch positions multiple times his rookie year during peak Covid protocols and then got hurt early in his 2nd season. He’s a talented player with two years left on his rookie contract.

Sports Illustrated’s Mike Fisher, who has covered the Cowboys since 1990, said on Twitter he believes Dallas’ coaching staff mishandled Robinson.

“I don’t think the #Cowboys scouting dept. missed on DB Reggie Robinson. I think the coaching staff did,” Fisher tweeted.”

Also from the article it sounds like Lovie did his research on him:

Reginald Robinson said he’s excited that his son now has a new beginning in Houston under Lovie Smith, who was named Texans' head coach on Feb. 7.

“I’m very happy,” Reginald Robinson said. “You can also throw in the Tulsa connection with Coach Lovie because Coach Lovie is a Tulsa alum. Coach Lovie had called Coach [Aaron] Fletcher, who was Reggie’s position coach in Tulsa, and Coach Fletcher gave him the low down on Reggie and that sealed the deal.”

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Maybe if they cut someone like Scottie Phillips or Darius Anderson. But how many can they really add if they are already at 6?
None of the six RBs are true number 1 guys. They are all cutable, imo. Unless they gave Marlon Mack a contract I didn't expect, the Texans can add a draft pick on sign an undrafted free agent or two and let the crowd thin it self out with injury, level of play , special teams ability

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
None of the six RBs are true number 1 guys. They are all cutable, imo. Unless they gave Marlon Mack a contract I didn't expect, the Texans can add a draft pick on sign an undrafted free agent or two and let the crowd thin it self out with injury, level of play , special teams ability
I agree they all can be cut. But if they have six RBs on roster already (not including FB Andy Janovich who I forgot to count) I don’t see them adding more than one rookie.

They only took seven RBs to camp last season and can only have 90 bodies at camp.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
I agree they all can be cut. But if they have six RBs on roster already (not including FB Andy Janovich who I forgot to count) I don’t see them adding more than one rookie.

They only took seven RBs to camp last season and can only have 90 bodies at camp.
When I say cut, I mean cut any time. A draft 2nd/3rd rounder can make Scottie useless on May 1.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
With the Marlon Mack signing the Texans have a stable of veteran RBs. I expected them to go for some rookies this season but they may use draft to plug much needed holes in other areas. Maybe bring in a late rounder/udfa. Or maybe it means they’ll spend a high pick on a player they really like? I am just some guy on a message board what do I know?!

Texans RB room now:

Rex Burkhead
Royce Freeman
Dare Ogunbowale
Darius Anderson
Scottie Phillips

Marlon Mack makes 6. I believe Texans carried 7 into camp last training camp.
I like the addition of Mack to the RB group. He is low risk, high reward and has very little wear the last 2 years. At the start of the season he will be 2 years removed from his achilles injury and we will see if he can regain his explosion.
But I do hope we acquire a young RB in the draft.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
With the Marlon Mack signing the Texans have a stable of veteran RBs. I expected them to go for some rookies this season but they may use draft to plug much needed holes in other areas. Maybe bring in a late rounder/udfa. Or maybe it means they’ll spend a high pick on a player they really like? I am just some guy on a message board what do I know?!

Texans RB room now:

Rex Burkhead
Royce Freeman
Dare Ogunbowale
Darius Anderson
Scottie Phillips

Last year's stable of veteran RBs:

Mark Ingram
David Johnson
Phillip Lindsay
Rex Burkhead
Scottie Phillips
Dontrell Hilliard
Buddy Howell

Other than Johnson, I actually thought that would be pretty decent group. It wasn't.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Texans RB room now:

Rex Burkhead
Royce Freeman
Dare Ogunbowale
Darius Anderson
Scottie Phillips

RB’s, Breece Hall and Pierre Strong, Jr would eliminate (2) from this group fairly quickly.

If the team improves the OL and this current stable of RB’s listed above fails to move the needle…..it’s going to be another season of stacked boxes and blitzes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Maybe if they cut someone like Scottie Phillips or Darius Anderson. But how many can they really add if they are already at 6?
I'm hoping Caserio drafts a guy like Zamir White or Brian Robinson in the 4th and a guy like Master Teague or Keontray Ingram in the 6th. Cut guys like Phillips and Anderson if need be.

My ideal RB room would look like this.

Mack
Robinson
Burkhead
Teague.

If you wanted to carry 5 RB's then carry a ST's guy like O

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Texans RB room now:

Rex Burkhead
Royce Freeman
Dare Ogunbowale
Darius Anderson
Scottie Phillips

still a bunch of nobodies imo. If they had offered Foreman the contract he go in Carolina, that would help solve a problem. He's young,healthy,without alot of miles and recent production. I hope they take a back in the 2nd or 3rd rd

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
RB’s, Breece Hall and Pierre Strong, Jr would eliminate (2) from this group fairly quickly.

If the team improves the OL and this current stable of RB’s listed above fails to move the needle…..it’s going to be another season of stacked boxes and blitzes.
nobody stacked any box vs Texans, they stopped the run with their front 4 and flooded zones in pass situations.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I’m interested in the waiver wire acquisition of Cowboys 2020 4th round pick Reggie Robinson. Long rangy CB out of Tulsa that year.

Apparently he was asked to switch positions multiple times his rookie year during peak Covid protocols and then got hurt early in his 2nd season. He’s a talented player with two years left on his rookie contract.

Sports Illustrated’s Mike Fisher, who has covered the Cowboys since 1990, said on Twitter he believes Dallas’ coaching staff mishandled Robinson.

“I don’t think the #Cowboys scouting dept. missed on DB Reggie Robinson. I think the coaching staff did,” Fisher tweeted.”

Also from the article it sounds like Lovie did his research on him:

Reginald Robinson said he’s excited that his son now has a new beginning in Houston under Lovie Smith, who was named Texans' head coach on Feb. 7.

“I’m very happy,” Reginald Robinson said. “You can also throw in the Tulsa connection with Coach Lovie because Coach Lovie is a Tulsa alum. Coach Lovie had called Coach [Aaron] Fletcher, who was Reggie’s position coach in Tulsa, and Coach Fletcher gave him the low down on Reggie and that sealed the deal.”
Appears to be a good pickup. What concern should last season's turf toe give us?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
still a bunch of nobodies imo. If they had offered Foreman the contract he go in Carolina, that would help solve a problem. He's young,healthy,without alot of miles and recent production. I hope they take a back in the 2nd or 3rd rd
If healthy Mack is a better RB than Foreman.

Mack and say drafting Pierce at 4-107 would solve the run game issues as long as the ol gets fixed.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I believe CnD said it usually takes a player 2 yrs to return to form, if they ever overcome this injury.

Next yr will be Mack's 2nd yr since he was injured.
It would be nice to see him back to anywhere close to his pre-injury level........we will have to wait and see if he is one of those that can.........certainly worth the risk if the guaranteed money is reasonable, and additional incentives are built into the contract.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
If healthy Mack is a better RB than Foreman.

Mack and say drafting Pierce at 4-107 would solve the run game issues as long as the ol gets fixed.
Mack is washed. Even though there were opportunities even with the bell cow they have, they chose to give his time to hymes and his explosion. Foreman hasn't performed at Mack previous level, but based on last year in his limited time and his age, he's a much better option than Mack imo and recent production. Foreman,Burkhead, James Cook,and whomever covers all your bases and you wouldn't need 6 nobodies. At some point, you need runners who can make guys miss or break tackles and have youth in the backfield.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If the same player were to be signed by the Pats it would be genius move.
But they weren't.

I mean Burkhead was with the Patriots. They consciously made the decision not to sign him. As you said, genius.

Marlon Mack has been out there for the taking. Do you believe Mack chose Houston because he's more likely to win? Or do you believe the Patriots genius said no to Mack? They didn't even bring him in for a workout. Genius?

This is another Caserio gamble. Like Ingram, Taylor, Phillips, & Canon. I hope it ends better than those

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
But they weren't.

I mean Burkhead was with the Patriots. They consciously made the decision not to sign him. As you said, genius.

Marlon Mack has been out there for the taking. Do you believe Mack chose Houston because he's more likely to win? Or do you believe the Patriots genius said no to Mack? They didn't even bring him in for a workout. Genius?

This is another Caserio gamble. Like Ingram, Taylor, Phillips, & Canon. I hope it ends better than those
We all hope it works out.

If it doesn't what has Caserio truly lost?

I expect another RB or 2 to be drafted.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
But they weren't.

n/m

Beat you to it. I deleted my response.

:coffee:

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
IMO I couldn't care less about who the Patriots do or do not want.

1) Cause F the Patriots
2) Haven't we seen enough of our attempt at being like the Patriots?
3) They let Brady go while he had more in the tank
3b) I don't know the details as to why he left.... cause I refer you back to reason "1". only, add in Brady to that as well.

I see no harm in a low risk gamble. Yeah, maybe it doesn't work... but can't find the diamond if you dont look.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Mack was a 4th rd draft pick. Why not just find and draft your own younger version of him?
Mack is a low-risk gamble. If he can return to his old form, then we've got a really good, experienced back who can improve our RB room.

But we STILL need to find and draft our own younger version of him.

So, basically, why not both?

The odds are against us either way. He's probably not going to return to who he was before his injury. And whoever we pick in the 4th or 5th round probably isn't going to be very good either.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Mack is a low-risk gamble. If he can return to his old form, then we've got a really good, experienced back who can improve our RB room.

But we STILL need to find and draft our own younger version of him.

So, basically, why not both?

The odds are against us either way. He's probably not going to return to who he was before his injury. And whoever we pick in the 4th or 5th round probably isn't going to be very good either.
A fresh young buck with something to prove and no injury history will likely overshadow Mack.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Why aim at Marlon Mack & not Jonathan Taylor?
Well, because we were talking about Marlon Mack and not Jonathan Taylor.

We were talking about a 4th rounder and not a 2nd rounder.

I mean, why aim for Jonathan Taylor when we could aim about Arian Foster and get a great RB without using a draft pick at all...

It's just about apples to apples.

I don't expect Caserio to spend a 2nd round pick on a running back, but I wouldn't be surprised if he used a 4th rounder on one.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mack was a 4th rd draft pick. Why not just find and draft your own younger version of him?
Agreed,

Sign Mack, Draft Strong/Pierce/White or Robinson in the 4th. Then draft Teague or Ingram in the 6th.

What would you think of a RB room that looks like this,

Mack
Burkhead
Strong
Teague

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
What do y'all think about this guy from Oregon?

Looks good. Didn't know he was on our team.
Had a high ankle sprain in 2020(?) then recovered and played briefly again with moderate success. Was released and landed with Texans
He is reunited with another former Bronco, Phillip Lindsay.
Let's hope it was a great move.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I'm guessing some posters panties will be in a wad over the Tunsil reworking and Cooks extension.

I guess Caserio values veteran leadership.
You have to have studs, leaders and high profile players.
If the Texans did nothing to keep guys like these, some of the locker room guys may think if the Texans hierarchy don't care, why should I?
Carstereo has said that Cooks demonstrates a model work ethic that is good for younger players.

Last edited: