Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans place Franchise Tag on D Rob today.

Exactly. He was extraordinary his rookie season...but after that, he's continually declined. I don't know why everyone on this MB thinks that he's God's gift to the Texans, I honestly think that he'd be pressed to be the number one corner on most teams. He's the best we have, yes, but he definitely hasn't been playing "pro bowl caliber" game for the last few years

He didnt decline , his stats did because they stopped throwing at him so much. There is a huge difference there. He is easily a top 20 corner in the league and I am betting he will have a lights out season this year after fully healing from injuries. Here is to hoping they are using the franchise tag to buy time for a long term deal.

Javon Walker & Deangelo hall aren't there anymore. Probably were big contracts in terms of the potential but the guaranteed money probably wasn't that much; kinda like how we did with Reeves.

These were both deals signed less than a year ago:

Walker's deal was a 6-year $55 million contract of which $16 million was guaranteed.

Hall's deal was 7-year $70 million contract of which $24.5 million was guaranteed.

Walker is still on the Raiders roster.

Exactly. He was extraordinary his rookie season...but after that, he's continually declined. I don't know why everyone on this MB thinks that he's God's gift to the Texans, I honestly think that he'd be pressed to be the number one corner on most teams. He's the best we have, yes, but he definitely hasn't been playing "pro bowl caliber" game for the last few years

I guess that's why it was widely reported that he probably would have been one of the most sought after free agents...

Cuz he's really not that good.

Thanks Bob for not being a cheapskate regarding your USC alum, Dunta. This was the action of a team that seems to be more committed to winning than in the past. In the past they were more worried about saving face and overpaying for total losers like Carr and Weaver.

Now get the checkbook out and bring us a prized defensive free agent.

Yeah Bob was being a cheapskate when he listened to his GM and Coaches by signing all the past players that they have and dealt out a lot of money. Try casserly was a moron and is no longer here and Bob is still throwing out the cash that his GM (Now Rick Smith) says is the best option and the player is worth it.

I did not know that listening to the GM and dishing out the money and drafting the players the GM wants and says are right for the team (even though in hind sight they were wrong) elates to not wanting or being committed to winning.

Yeah Bob was being a cheapskate when he listened to his GM and Coaches by signing all the past players that they have and dealt out a lot of money. Try casserly was a moron and is no longer here and Bob is still throwing out the cash that his GM (Now Rick Smith) says is the best option and the player is worth it.

I did not know that listening to the GM and dishing out the money and drafting the players the GM wants and says are right for the team (even though in hind sight they were wrong) elates to not wanting or being committed to winning.

Bob spent no more than any other franchise has on players. they are almost 40mill under the cap. we have never used franchise tag on anyone till today. we have never made a really huge coveted FA signing in over 7 years. Other than Gibbs, what coaches have we spent the big money on? I am saying that with the firing of RSmith and the retaining of Gibbs for a 2nd year and Dunta's franchise tag, we look to be committed to winning more than in the past. am I so wrong to feel that way?

but I say McNair seems more committed to winning because we used the franchise tag on Dunta in a perfect situtation to do so, but I am the bad guy.

whatever spec, it seems to me that Bob has and can do no wrong in your eyes. I give the guy some credit and you come to his defense.

Last edited:
I guess that's why it was widely reported that he probably would have been one of the most sought after free agents...

Cuz he's really not that good.

I never said he wasn't good. Heck, I'm really happy we franchised him so he'll play for us another year. But when people start talking about he's a top 5 corner and his mere presence is the biggest factor in our defense...it just doesn't make sense to me. Yeah, he'd be one of the most sought after free agent DBs, but then again, there's a premium on DBs right now. Again, I'm glad we still have him, he improves our defense, but to make him out to be a perinnail pro-bowl CB that any team would pay out of the whazoo to get just for his tackling skill and questionable cover skills is wrong IMO.

Bob spent no more than any other franchise has on players. they are almost 40mill under the cap. we have never used franchise tag on anyone till today. we have never made a really huge coveted FA signing in over 7 years. Other than Gibbs, what coaches have we spent the big money on? I am saying that with the firing of RSmith and the retaining of Gibbs for a 2nd year and Dunta's franchise tag, we look to be committed to winning more than in the past. am I so wrong to feel that way?

but I say McNair seems more committed to winning because we used the franchise tag on Dunta in a perfect situtation to do so, but I am the bad guy.

whatever spec, it seems to me that Bob has and can do no wrong in your eyes. I give the guy some credit and you come to his defense. The guy could probably take a dump in your mouth and you'd just ask for seconds.
Calm down dude and please name one free agent we had in the past worthy of a franchise tag. Anybody tagged in the past would have made people laugh.

bob spent no more than any other franchise has on players. They are almost 40mill under the cap. We have never used franchise tag on anyone till today. We have never made a really huge coveted fa signing in over 7 years. Other than gibbs, what coaches have we spent the big money on? I am saying that with the firing of rsmith and the retaining of gibbs for a 2nd year and dunta's franchise tag, we look to be committed to winning more than in the past. Am i so wrong to feel that way?

But i say mcnair seems more committed to winning because we used the franchise tag on dunta in a perfect situtation to do so, but i am the bad guy.

Whatever spec, it seems to me that bob has and can do no wrong in your eyes. I give the guy some credit and you come to his defense. The guy could probably take a dump in your mouth and you'd just ask for seconds.

lol

Unnecessary move. The Texans had the leverage and should have been up front with him about the possibility of being tagged regardless of how sure they were on getting a deal done. Bottom line tho, its still business. Could they have trusted him in coming back if they didnt tag him?? Who knows...but I am sure he was telling them whatever they wanted to hear.

Dunta will hopefully feel better about this in time...and everyone can still live happily ever after after he gets a legit contract from us after his solid 09 campaign.

Daunta,

Let me tell you about betrayed. And I don't really know anything about it. But why don't you come to work with me for a week. Realize that based on that salary, you will make more money in a day than I make this year. Oh did I mention that you can get a call to come to work 24/7. For me so far, work hasn't been "go to Iraq/Afghanastan" but it very well could be. Seriously, I don't want to hear about it from somebody doing something i would love to do for 500x the annual salary I do it for. I almost never jump on the "military pulpit" because I realize I haven't gone out and deployed like some of these people I work with have, but I'll put in 70hrs over the next 5 or so days and I didn't see jack extra for it. I'm a fan of his but he needs to get a grip. I really hope someone shows something like this too him too. I wish he know how F%@#ing childish and ungreatful he sounds.

Mike

hmmm....
is Dunta worth two first rounders AND $10+ mil/year to someone else?
I'm not so sure
I think D-Rob is about to find out that no one can afford to pay what he wants

Dunta is betrayed & going to make 10 mil. next year.

I think he may have been one of the authors of the stimulus bill.

bsmeterra7.gif

Its unfortunate that he says Rick Smith wasn't totally honest with him but how could Dunta not have seen this as a possibility? Is he angry that he didn't get a long term deal (yet) or didn't get to hit the open market? I mean it was pretty obvious to me he was either going to sign with us or get the tag. We can't afford to lose defensive talent. I'd like to see how many of the other 14 players who received the tag had such harsh words for their franchise, ugh.

Well, I think he's actually complaining about the lying part, not the money part.

But still - doesn't seem smart to publicly trash the GM.

Sigh. This sucks.

Dunta is complaining because if he gets injured again he probably won't see most of that money.

I'm no expert on the franchise tags so somebody set me straight if I'm wrong, but it's not guaranteed money is it?

Dunta is complaining because if he gets injured again he probably won't see most of that money.

I'm no expert on the franchise tags so somebody set me straight if I'm wrong, but it's not guaranteed money is it?

It is. As soon as he signs the one-year deal, it's 100% guaranteed.

"I'm still able to play football and I love my team," he said. "I love playing for the city of Houston. Something somebody does or something somebody says is not going to affect my game in a negative way."
What's with all the whining from you guys? Dunta's back, he'll be healthier, he'll be hungry. It's all good.

He's upset because he wanted a deal that was longer term than 1 year which is fair in a workplace like the NFL. He was also told that he wouldn't be tagged, and he doesn't like that.

If he plays at a PB level and makes us win games single-handedly, then yeah pay him whatever he wants and talk about how happy you are to lock up such a great player. If he plays at a mediocre level and still demands some retarded contract then whatever. If he plays great, but not other-wordly, I hope the Texans don't lowball him and he walks.

His comments don't piss me off that much because I can see where he's coming from. However the quality of his character will be judged by the strength of his actions.

Can't fault the dude for wanting to test different waters, he has been here through some pretty crappy teams since he was drafted. Although things are looking better. At the same time $10 mil (rounded up) for about 7 months worth of work ain't all that bad either. Hope his love for the team, his teammates, and the city is > then his boo boo lip for getting franchised.

Any bets on what Dickie J's next Texan bash will be about?:thinking:

Why should we sign a guy to a long term contract when he is coming off such a potentially career ending injury?

Surely Dunta can see the Texans point of view on this one.

It would not be a wise investment to sign him to a long term deal until he proves the injury is behind him and he is the same player after it that he was before.

If he really was lied to then he has a reason to be angry about that.

Does anyone think there is a possibility that he believes he was lied to but he really wasn't? Like maybe he misinterpreted something that was said to him?

His comments don't piss me off that much because I can see where he's coming from. However the quality of his character will be judged by the strength of his actions.

I absolutely agree. He did mention that this won't effect his play on the field, which I hope it doesn't. Should he play at a high level next season and prove to be worth PB money, then he'll get what he deserves. We can only hope it comes from Bob McNair.

Why should we sign a guy to a long term contract when he is coming off such a potentially career ending injury?

It would not be a wise investment to sign him to a long term deal until he proves the injury is behind him and he is the same player after it that he was before.

Does anyone think there is a possibility that he believes he was lied to but he really wasn't? Like maybe he misinterpreted something that was said to him?

Maybe they told him theyd get him a contract and then when they heard what kind of money he wanted they were like STAMP!!!!

I like what your saying though

What's with all the whining from you guys? Dunta's back, he'll be healthier, he'll be hungry. It's all good.
I was going to quote the same thing. I think they'll sit down and get a long-term deal done before the start of next season. I think its the smart move to make as a team. You have leaders on your team at every phase right now on D (Williams, Ryans, and Robinson) and I'd think as a GM you'd want to keep that chemistry together as long as you don't have to spend too much money to do it. I don't think a guaranteed $23 over 5 years is all that crazy for a top-end corner and for any doubters just remember that lack of pressure on a QB makes it hard for ANY corner out there. When we get the pass rush going with the class of this draft I think you'll see Dunta become a fixture at the pro bowl.

(hello to all btw)

If Rick Smith did flat-out lie to Dunta, that's reprehensible, but as you indicate, we can't know right now what happened.

Dunta could very realistically come out way ahead on this deal. I don't pretend to know what he would have been worth on the open market this offseason, although I'm very skeptical that it would have been Chris Gamble money. But whatever that value would have been, it would have come on the heels of a partial season where he was only able to play in 11 games and start 6 because of an injury many were concerned might be career ending. By his own admission, Dunta was only about 80% this season. Based on my viewing of the Texans games (and I maintain no delusions of being a personnel expert), his estimate may have been a bit high.

Whatever that value would have been this off-season, it will be far higher if he can use the 2009 season to prove that he's 95% or more of his old self - even if that only happens over the last few games of the 2009 season. On top of that, he will get almost $10 Million for getting the opportunity to prove that.

Granted, there are other less optimistic scenario's, but if you're Dunta Robinson, and you truly believe you will return to previous form, you don't really have a right to complain about a 1-year hiccup that could end up being a financial positive.

Let's be real too. Every single player that has received the franchise tag is "unhappy". That's just part of the deal. They have to say that to the media to put more pressure on the team.

I am a bit surprised te Dunta has been so ooutspoken about his anger over the franshise tag. I understand he wanted a long term deal which would have guarenteed him about 23 Milllion vs the 9 Million he gets for the one year, but without knowing the circumstances I am not going to fault Smith. If Smith told them in good faith he would not be franchised expecting Dunta and his agent to be asking for a fair deal, and they came in asking to much then I would side with Smith. He should not have told him he would not franchise him because that means Dunta and his agent could use the threat of walking away from the Texans with no compensation to the team. Kudos for franchising him! That said now you have time to negotiate so go apologize to Dunta and tell him you just could not risk losing him and get the damn deal done!

In honesty, Dunta probably isn't even the best CB on the Texans, let alone a top 5 guy. He is getting way overpaid and he still complains?

Dunta is an emotional leader (except when he chucks teammates under the bus, ie David Carr) and a good man but he is not an elite player.

Of course a lot of mediocre players got tagged this year.

A public display of anger is really the last card Dunta has in the deck for this year.

If he has as a year worthy of a $23 million cornerback in 2009, Dunta will come out way ahead in this deal. If he plays that well, he gets $10 million this year and then he's young enough that he can just as easily command his $23 million next offseason. That's $33 million, with a huge chunck coming in 2009 (before the 2001 tax cuts expire).

On the other hand, let's say the Texans signed him to a $23 million deal. He turns 27 in April, so he'll be almost 32 when the five year deal expires. No way a 32-year-old corner gets a $10 million deal. So he'll only get $23 million plus whatever he can get at 32. That's much worse than $33 million at age 33. [Of course, high inflation could change all that, but that's another issue . . . ]

And, heck, if he has such a good year, he won't be in the $23 million ballpark next year. He might find himself closer to Asomogha money. And, depending on the labor situation, he might be negotiating a deal in an uncapped year. Cha-FREAKING-ching!!

He may not be sending Rick Smith easter cards this year, but Dunta is going to have every incentive to play his hind-end off this year (not that motivation was ever an issue). The team will reap the benefits, while Dunta gets closer to his long-term deal.

Its unfortunate that he says Rick Smith wasn't totally honest with him but how could Dunta not have seen this as a possibility? Is he angry that he didn't get a long term deal (yet) or didn't get to hit the open market? I mean it was pretty obvious to me he was either going to sign with us or get the tag. We can't afford to lose defensive talent. I'd like to see how many of the other 14 players who received the tag had such harsh words for their franchise, ugh.

He's on the market. Anyone who wants to part with two ones and a forty three million dollar contact with twenty four to twenty eight million guaranteed can sign Robinson. GD beer is expensive enough at Reliant. I 'm glad Rick Smith exercised some cajones and made the correct move. I don't mind him having his pout. But he better get over it by OTAs...he'll pout himself right into NFL hell. Lot worse things in this league than making ten million and being on a contender.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6269456.html

A couple new quotes from Robinson, one particularly interesting:

"Some players get so angry at being tagged they refuse to participate in offseason drills. Some don’t report until the start of regular season when players are paid over 17 weeks.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” Robinson said. “If you ask me right now, I wouldn’t be there (training camp)."

I have loved Dunta from the second he became a Texan but he better be there during training camp. I'm not usually pessimistic with things involving the Texans but I have had visions of Anquan Boldin running through my mind after seeing Dunta's reaction to getting tagged and this doesn't help.

It's his loss if he doesn't show up for training camp both from a football standpoint and financially. If Reeves, Bennett and Molden all do well during training camp and Robinson holds out, then he will fall on the depth chart and may see less playing time than he would if he reported and played the entire time.

The less he plays the less likely he'll get a big paycheck next offseason.

My guess is that he does show up though. I don't think the Texans and Robinson will come to any contract. What kind of contract would you even give the guy?

It's his loss if he doesn't show up for training camp both from a football standpoint and financially. If Reeves, Bennett and Molden all do well during training camp and Robinson holds out, then he will fall on the depth chart and may see less playing time than he would if he reported and played the entire time.

The less he plays the less likely he'll get a big paycheck next offseason.

My guess is that he does show up though. I don't think the Texans and Robinson will come to any contract. What kind of contract would you even give the guy?

especially with kubiaks way of coaching.....

wich I like...

Either HE or his agent HAD to know this was a possibility. It probably wouldn't have been an issue if he wasn't hurt 2 seasons ago, Texans would have got a contract hammered out, but he got hurt and I think any team would have done what the Texans have done.

About the quote that D-rob said about Smith saying that the Texans wouldn't do that to him, who knows what was said.. Texans might have said that with the hopes of hammering out a deal, but when they didnt' get a deal done, they franchised him so they could have more time.. who knows.

I do admit, I figured I would hear grumblings from Peppers , not D-rob, but a team has to do what a team has to do

Well the best thing Dunta can do right now is practice with the team and participate in everyway he can. And his agent should continue trying to negotiate a deal for him. Skipping training camp and other stuff shouldn't be the way to go about this. Even if he just wants to get the year over with and sign with a different team, he should do everything he can to prepare himself the best he can to have a successful season and successful rehab. And Dunta has stated how much he likes Houston and his teammates. If that's true... don't let your teammates down. Be there to make the team the best it can be, and help your teammates get better too.

Let's not forget that Dunta and his agent can continue talking to other teams. This doesn't mean he's off the market. He can negotiate with another team and come to some terms. Although the stipulation would be, said team would have to give up two 1st round picks, the Texans can negotiate a trade differently. The Chiefs got the Vikings 1st rd pick and two 3rds. Maybe the Texans say we'll just take one 1st rd pick... who knows.

But this story isn't over yet. It doesn't mean he's here until next season, this is just the beginning!

I was all for him being franchised from the beginning. I think a long term deal would have been a mistake. Due to his injury it's a reasonable scenario to evaluate and assess his value in order to offer him a fair for both parties deal regardless of what was in Robinson's best interest. I don't know what was said or promised by Rick Smith. None of us do. I think business negotiations of this financial level are complicated and involve multiple compromises. I'm not going to speculate on weather or not Robinson was lied to. If he was, it was the wrong thing to do and I would consider it a black mark on Smith's otherwise very impressive resume of character. Just as acting out and not attending camp would be disappointing for Robinson's equally impressive resume of character.

But what I want to know is....

Robinson learned of his status from reporters who called for interviews about the situation.

How do you not pick up the phone and call the guy to let him know?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ed1a5c&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

My chime in...

I'm proud of Rick Smith. Loyalty is important, but we finally have a front office that is thinking about the win column and not about making someone feel good.

The bottom line is...spending any money on Dunta is a HUGE gamble. Just last year he had is entire hamstring OFF THE BONE!

I think Dunta is being a big baby and I have lost a lot of respect for him from his recent comments. Im tired of NFL players crying about getting franchised.

Oh, I have to get paid 9 million dollars to play football for one year. How sad it is to be you....

I honestly dont think we are any better or worse with or without Dunta post leg destruction. And if he really cared about this team, he would make the sacrifice so we can get the rest of the players we need to make us a contender.

Back