Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans picks all rounds 2022

Texansballer74

The Marine
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-two-round-mock-draft-teams-that-didnt-land-deshaun-watson-target-qbs-packers-try-to-replace-adams/Round 1 - Pick 3
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/HOU/houston-texans/
Ikem Ekwonu OL
NC STATE • SOPH • 6'4" / 310 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Houston
PROSPECT RNK
10th
POSITION RNK
4th
The Texans have five of the first 80 picks in the draft and with Deshaun Watson now in Cleveland, it certainly seems like Davis Mills is the QB of the future (for the time being, anyway). And if so, Houston will need to protect him. Ekwonu is our OT1 and had the Jags not addressed their OL needs in free agency, Ekwonu would remain our first-overall selection.

Round 1 - Pick 13
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/HOU/houston-texans/
Jermaine Johnson II EDGE
FLORIDA STATE • SR • 6'5" / 254 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Houston
PROSPECT RNK
29th
POSITION RNK
4th

After transferring from Georgia, Johnson had a fantastic season at Florida State. And he told us at the combine that he felt like he had something to prove going from the SEC to the ACC. Well, he did that and then some, then he dominated the Senior Bowl, and followed that up with an electric workout in Indy. The Texans beefed up the O-line with their first first-rounder, and now add some edge rush help with their 13th pick, acquired in the Deshaun Watson deal.
ROUND 2
37. Houston: Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
With the 13 pick I’m going with George Karlaftis
Dude is a stud - this from Bleacher Report:-
"Aside from ideal length, George Karlaftis has just about every trait necessary to bloom into a star power-rusher. Karlaftis coils and explodes off the snap even without having to time the snap perfectly. In turn, he often gets the jump on opposing offensive tackles, opening up the floor for him to show off his relentless bull-rushing or array of hand-fighting tactics. Blend that together with the ability to change directions and get skinny much better than any player his size should, and Karlaftis lands in special territory as an athlete. He also has all the awareness, anchor and motor to be a high-end run defender right away.
That said, Karlaftis' ceiling takes a little bit of projection. He sometimes has issues aborting too early on his pass-rushing plan when trying to win around the arc. He has the explosion and flexibility for his size to run a tight corner with power, but he doesn't always stay committed to it, which could be something a good defensive line coach can unlock. Otherwise, Karlaftis already wins as a bull-rush and inside rusher, even against double-teams, with some value to be able to slide inside on clear passing downs.

Karlaftis has exceptional potential and will already have some ways to provide value early on as he continues to develop. As a three-year starter, he got better each season at Purdue, which should bode well for him unlocking himself further in the NFL. Karlaftis has the size, explosiveness and run-pass versatility to be one of the most disruptive players in the NFL in a few seasons."

Their NFL comparison is Ryan Kerrigan.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree. It seems that Nick doesn't value the late picks and we have 3 sixth round and 1 seventh. He may package some of those to move into the 5th round, where we don't currently have a pick.
Atleast not like Lucky values them

Texian

Hall of Fame
I agree. It seems that Nick doesn't value the late picks and we have 3 sixth round and 1 seventh. He may package some of those to move into the 5th round, where we don't currently have a pick.
I think Nick may have changed his opinion about day 3 picks. Caserio's post Lovie HC press conferences and interviews he has a new appreciation for those late rd picks.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I think Nick may have changed his opinion about day 3 picks. Caserio's post Lovie HC press conferences and interviews he has a new appreciation for those late rd picks.
It also depends on positional value - e.g., you can get an excellent #1 punter, kicker, full back or special teams player in the lower rounds. You rarely see those in the top 4 rounds so you take the other more valuable positions up in those top 4 rounds.
That is how you get max value from the draft.

It also depends on positional value - e.g., you can get an excellent #1 punter, kicker, full back or special teams player in the lower rounds. You rarely see those in the top 4 rounds so you take the other more valuable positions up in those top 4 rounds.
That is how you get max value from the draft.
Matt Araiza has an amazing leg. I’d draft him 5-7 if he was available. He’d give our defense excellent position every single possession.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I believe the depth of this draft, defensively, has made Caserio and Lovie appreciate the opportunities this draft may afford them.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
That's why I like those trades that would add an extra early 2nd RD pick. If that were to happen, I would be all over Georgia players with those 2nd RD picks; Trevon Walker, George Pickens and/or Devonte Wyatt.
I just want to point out that this is where (a lot of/most) people were projecting Walker (and Wyatt)- the second round. Now - because he runs fast in underwear - he is worth the 3rd overall pick?

The post I quoted as from 11 January, by the way, so it was after ALL the college games were over (yes, even the Championship). Running really fast in a sterile environment really does wonders for a guy's stock, huh?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I just want to point out that this is where (a lot of/most) people were projecting Walker (and Wyatt)- the second round. Now - because he runs fast in underwear - he is worth the 3rd overall pick?

The post I quoted as from 11 January, by the way, so it was after ALL the college games were over (yes, even the Championship). Running really fast in a sterile environment really does wonders for a guy's stock, huh?
Agreed combine/pro day workouts are an important piece of the evaluation but should not be weighed as heavily as on-field production.

IMO, if a player does not run well may make them go from a high pick in a given round to mid or low. But unless its a small school guy that there isn’t film on it doesn’t jump them a full round or sometimes two-three rounds.

The only way that would happen is if the things us fans don’t have access to went sour. Interviews and medicals.

Dejaview

All Pro
I’d prefer to trade back to get more picks which could achieve your wish for a fifth rounder and then some.

Texian

Hall of Fame

Especially when he runs really really fast like a 272 lb Defensive Back fast that can run down most QBs and RBs fast with 35" arms and some BIG azz hands.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Especially when he runs really really fast like a 272 lb Defensive Back fast that can run down most QBs and RBs fast with 35" arms and some BIG azz hands.
Hey, as long as you are good with recognizing that you have moved a player from ~37 up to 3 for no-other reason than he is big and runs fast (on a racetrack), I don’t have much more to say here. For someone who constantly talks about watching games, you just made a massive change to your board based on… well, not the game.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
A DL is appropriately ranked on his ability to disrupt the various aspects of the opponents offense and that is focused on the front line which requires a different skill set than the ability to run fast in a straight line.
For instance, a slow CB or LB or Safety would definitely not be desirable in the NFL and a Nose Tackles 40 time is not important.
Just because a guy is big and runs fast does not mean he has the ability to play in today's nuanced NFL defenses.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Hey, as long as you are good with recognizing that you have moved a player from ~37 up to 3 for no-other reason than he is big and runs fast (on a racetrack), I don’t have much more to say here. For someone who constantly talks about watching games, you just made a massive change to your board based on… well, not the game.
Just an FYI if I were the Texans I would not draft Travon Walker at #3. I would take Charles Cross OT from Miss St. For a couple of reasons, (1) Tunsil is likely gone after next year, and Cross is the best pass blocking LT in this draft. (2) knowing that DeVonte Wyatt or Jordan Davis will likely be available at #13. This combination with Cross would do more to improve the Texans. In my mind I don't see another one, two punch combo that does more to improve the Texans. Walker at #3 with any choice for #13 would not do as much to improve the Texans in long run. (3) I really like Arnold Ebiketie as an Edge rusher and would be all for the Texans trading up to get him.

I still think Walker will go in the Top 5 if not #1. I think much of the criticism of Walker is unfounded because some don't see and understand the bigger picture. For example, many are all in for Thibodeaux without taking into consideration that in 2021 Thibodeaux played 200 more snaps than Walker as a 9 technique and only had 1 more sack than Walker did as an IDL.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Just an FYI if I were the Texans I would not draft Travon Walker at #3. I would take Charles Cross OT from Miss St. For a couple of reasons, (1) Tunsil is likely gone after next year, (2) knowing that DeVonte Wyatt or Jordan Davis will likely be available at #13. This combination with Cross would do more to improve the Texans. In my mind I don't see another one, two punch combo that does more to improve the Texans. Walker at #3 with any choice for #13 would not do as much to improve the Texans in long run. (3) I really like Arnold Ebiketie as an Edge rusher and would be all for the Texans trading up to get him.

I still think Walker will go in the Top 5 if not #1. I think much of the criticism of Walker is unfounded because some don't see and understand the bigger picture. For example, many are all in for Thibodeaux without taking into consideration that in 2021 Thibodeaux played 200 more snaps than Walker as a 9 technique and only had 1 more sack than Walker did as an IDL.
Most DCs and HCs tend to use their guys to get maximum effectiveness. I'm thinking Lovie and company will be savvy enough to do that.
Doing that will garner you twice as many Saks using Thibs than you would Walker, going by the college play stats.