Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Pass Rushing discussion

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tweet from @PatDStat: Also, #Texans pass rush better equipped this week with Charles Omenihu over Carlos Watkins. Also, with Jacob Martin getting an increase in snaps. Adding them to Watt and Mercilus.

Tweet from @PatDStat: Whitney Mercilus’ spin move was being dusted off and refined during training camp. He made Lions LT Taylor Decker like in during joint practices. Busted it out a few times today. Got his first sack using it. #Texans

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
No Clowney? No problem. JJ Watt and Whitney Mercilus were terrors on the edge, each notching a number of pressures on the quarterback. Mercilus’ strip-sack recovered by Watt led directly to Houston’s game-winning touchdown.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-nfl-week-2-pff-refocused-houston-texans-13-jacksonville-jaguars-12
Merci is already enjoying stepping into Clowneys shoes. I expect he will have a career year and enjoy the spoils of having JJ absorb the bulk of the pressure.
He is looking good - just like a pro should.
I expect we will see more stats for Reader too as the season wears on.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tweet from @riversmccown: Zack Cunningham's sack on the first drive.
-- RB picks outside man on a blitz. Not sure how it was called, may have wanted the two interiors to team to Cunningham, but Reader too strong?
-- You can see Minshew's primary is outside here, not enough time. https://t.co/lHKBqtXPBy

Tweet from @PatDStat: Scarlett’s name will not be in the stat sheet but he had a good game on Sunday. Look at him walk the LG into the QB. Mercilus using his hands to rips under to LT to get the sack. Scarlett makes the play happen. #Texans https://t.co/k8wrIKf0QM

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Give it a few more games and teams will start doubling Mercilus.
A 5 man offensive line can double two players in most situations. It's not about doubling Jj or Whitney. It's about the third man.

My opinion of course.

We need Reader, Blackson, & Watkins to consistently beat their one on one assignments. Like Anonio Smith used to do.

Or have teams worried about Cunningham exploding into the backfield from a standstill like he did in that clip.

Knowing we have guys who can get to the passer from the 2nd level & knowing we will send DBs & LBs... that's going to help.

But this WYSIWYG defense Romeo is calling now isn't going to help.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Omenihu will be a good edge player, teams don’t need to double Watt anymore, Mercilus is finally able to play his natural style and limit the drop backs he was doing last year.

Interior guys are getting no push.

“Still early”
But teams are still doubling watt

srrono

All Pro
If Taco clears waivers I think Texans sign him. Texans were discussing a trade for him before release.

Not saying it a good idea.
Career 4 sacks.
Showed ability in college has not translated to NFL.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
But teams are still doubling watt
Infrequently. He has manhandled by Ryan Ramczyk game 1 causing the worst game of his career. It was nice to see him bounce back against JAX, but again if you break down the tape you will see that more and more teams are not committing the players they once did to stop Watt.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Infrequently. He has manhandled by Ryan Ramczyk game 1 causing the worst game of his career. It was nice to see him bounce back against JAX, but again if you break down the tape you will see that more and more teams are not committing the players they once did to stop Watt.

Father time catches up to us all no matter the age sometimes. JJ body has taken a lot of heat in the trenches over the years.

srrono

All Pro
Romeo doesn't seem to move Watt around for easier matchup as much in previous seasons.

This can be beneficial to the offense knowing where he is always going to be.

I would like to see him inside more can't chip him there. Plus double team to the inside should give more 1 on 1 for Mercilus.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Romeo doesn't seem to move Watt around for easier matchup as much in previous seasons.

I would like to see him inside more can't chip him there. Plus double team to the inside should give more 1 on 1 for Mercilus.
I thought that Watt had the power to basically move himself wherever he wanted? Was that not the case, is it not the case any more or is Watt just not moving? If he is at the same spot every time then yeah all other teams have to do is shore up that spot and they can keep him mostly contained.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

I thought it was harder on his back to move him inside

srrono

All Pro
I thought that Watt had the power to basically move himself wherever he wanted? Was that not the case, is it not the case any more or is Watt just not moving? If he is at the same spot every time then yeah all other teams have to do is shore up that spot and they can keep him mostly contained.
I thought it was harder on his back to move him inside
I haven't heard that but I can see it.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

Watt at this stage of his career is strictly a LDE .. to take advantage of the supposed easier matchup with a RT vs a LT. He does not have the lateral explosion and foot quickness to jump around the line like he once did .. it was the benefit of keeping JDC since he was taking up most of the double teams - to harken back to what @TheKDog said Watt last year WAS double teamed about 25-30% of the time, JDC was doubled even more than that if I recall. THIS YEAR without a dynamic player on the front 7 to take away some of the attention the offense can focus on Watt exclusively and they will know rather early how much help the RT will need if any. I didn't mean to make a blanket statement that JJ doesn't get doubled at all anymore, its more of a talent argument. Good RTs will do well against JJ.

I haven't seen the Bear/Amoeba/4-6 type fronts that I would see with JDC on the team. Nobody is floating around the LOS disrupting blocking assignments and being a pest that RAC's defenses usually have. Will be interesting to watch that evolve this year. I still like Omenihu in that role if he can continue to get better, has the perfect body and explosiveness for the elephant position.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tweet from @Brickwallblitz: TOTAL QB HITS PRODUCED THROUGH WEEK 3:

BAL: 29
JAX: 26
CAR, NE: 25
GB: 24
CHI: 23
HOU: 22
MIN, NO: 21
TB: 20
NYJ, PIT: 19
ATL, CIN, IND, NYG, SF: 18
BUF, CLE: 17
DAL, DET: 16
ARI: 15
KC, PHI: 14
TEN: 13
LAC: 12
LAR, OAK: 11
MIA, SEA, WAS: 9
DEN: 3

frethack

Rookie
Omenihu should have his role increased if he keeps this up...HOOKEM!:

PFF grades for Omenihu
Week 2: 90.2
Week 3: 80.8

And another thing...Reader is gonna get paid:
PFF grades for Reader
Week 2: 91.0
Week 3: 86.7

Both have been the highest graded Texans for two weeks in a row.
https://twitter.com/PFF_Texans/status/1176250505682673671

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Crennel seems to be able to find and develop rookies who are much cheaper than free agents

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
D.J. Reader is the best Texans defender

Whitney Mercilus got another sack and another forced fumble today, his fifth and fourth of the year, respectively.

https://twitter.com/riversmccown

I noted that the quarterback did not step up, but instead stepped back. A big reason for that was that Matt Paradis got pushed right into Kyle Allen’s face by D.J. Reader.

Reader again was a menace in this game, racking up multiple run stuffs and contributing to the overall pass rush by wrecking the pocket in a game where his teammates had three sacks and five hits.
https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1178355708624080896

Pay this man.

https://twitter.com/riversmccown

It is true that Mercilus is having a big year, and when I posted that I thought Reader had been the best Texans defender this year, I got some pushback. But if you look back at Mercilus’ sacks on this season, I think a majority of them actually come because of Reader getting enough push that the quarterback can’t step up in the pocket.

Do you want to credit the guy who made the quarterback go backwards, or the one who wound up with the sack? What about if the one who made the quarterback go backwards was also a big part of the reason that the Panthers ran it 28 times and only got 94 yards?

https://www.riversmccown.com/

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
@riversmccown: Week 3 EDGE snaps:
Omenihu 32
Jacob Martin 17
Brennan Scarlett 15
Carlos Watkins inactive

Week 4 EDGE snaps:
Watkins 26
Scarlett 23
Martin 4
Omeinhu inactive

Odd decrease for Martin. Big increase for Scarlett. Assume Omenihu still takes most of the snaps if healthy this week.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
@riversmccown: Week 3 EDGE snaps:
Omenihu 32
Jacob Martin 17
Brennan Scarlett 15
Carlos Watkins inactive

Week 4 EDGE snaps:
Watkins 26
Scarlett 23
Martin 4
Omeinhu inactive

Odd decrease for Martin. Big increase for Scarlett. Assume Omenihu still takes most of the snaps if healthy this week.
Think it was gameplan specific with CMC running the ball so much and Martin not being as good a run defender.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Pff edge rusher ranks, with van noy #1, watt #7 and clowney #9

@mattdolloff: @PFF The rest of the top-10 at edge defender:

Khalil Mack
Brandon Graham
Ronald Blair
Danielle Hunter
Joey Bosa
J.J. Watt
T.J. Watt