Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans move on from Mike Devlin

badboy

Hall of Fame
No he did not coach The Offensive line unit. He supposedly was there and Drew a paycheck. I cannot think of one player that Progressed significantly under his tutelage . Byebye, so long, farewell. I no longer have to see you in September.

badboy

Hall of Fame
First damn good news I've heard about this team since October! Now I just have to wait until the Cult leader is fired and then I can be interested again. Until then I'll mostly just be in the Rockets/Astros forums. Barely above 0 interest in Kirby land right now, but this helps.
Not much more interest in the Rockets Thread either Unfortunately.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It’s not a done deal yet is it? I won’t rejoice until we hire his replacement.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Devlin was a part of former coach Bill O’Brien’s trio of coaches he relied upon. In a Jan. 6, 2019, presser with the Houston media, O’Brien mentioned Romeo Crennel, Brad Seely, Tim Kelly, and Devlin as coaches he would have liked to have retained for the 2019 season, and he did.
:thinking:

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I'm not sure Devlin has figured out how he coaches players

I personally have never coached anybody like Laremy,” Devlin told reporters on Oct. 27, 2020. “He’s almost an artist to what he does as far as pass protection and the way he works at it and studies himself and the opponent. I’ve learned a ton relative to the tackle play. I always ask this question: How do we get that type of skill set or that technique and all that to younger guys that maybe don’t have his ability? He’s like a power forward out there.

“That’s what I’m always trying to figure out, how to take the technique that he does and the mastery of the set and equate that to someone that may not have quite the same skill set. I’ve been really pleased with how he’s worked with the younger tackles post practice and watching the opponents. He’s everything I thought he was and more.”

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I'm not sure Devlin has figured out how he coaches players

I personally have never coached anybody like Laremy,” Devlin told reporters on Oct. 27, 2020. “He’s almost an artist to what he does as far as pass protection and the way he works at it and studies himself and the opponent. I’ve learned a ton relative to the tackle play. I always ask this question: How do we get that type of skill set or that technique and all that to younger guys that maybe don’t have his ability? He’s like a power forward out there.

“That’s what I’m always trying to figure out, how to take the technique that he does and the mastery of the set and equate that to someone that may not have quite the same skill set. I’ve been really pleased with how he’s worked with the younger tackles post practice and watching the opponents. He’s everything I thought he was and more.”
Thinking about this. It makes sense. Before joining the Texans, Devlin had ONE year of experience as an OL coach. So, I can see why he couldn't coach up or develop the OL.

I remember watching videos with Olajuwon teaching younger athletes his footwork and moves. Kobe Bryant and Lebron James appeared to pick up his footwork and were fluid. Dwight Howard slowly got it, but was stiff. Carmelo Anthony struggled. In fact, Carmelo was so bad, 50 year old Olajuwon seemed quicker and more fluid than the 20 something Carmelo.

My point? I understand why the OL regressed. Not everyone has Tunsil's skillset. Not everyone can simply "learn" or teach his technique. Instead of trying to learn Tunsil's technique, Devlin should have been working with him to improve his run blocking while teaching the other less talented OL how to maximize their skillset. Unfortunately, this is another example of how poorly coached the Texans were under O'Brien.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Thinking about this. It makes sense. Before joining the Texans, Devlin had ONE year of experience as an OL coach. So, I can see why he couldn't coach up or develop the OL.

I remember watching videos with Olajuwon teaching younger athletes his footwork and moves. Kobe Bryant and Lebron James appeared to pick up his footwork and were fluid. Dwight Howard slowly got it, but was stiff. Carmelo Anthony struggled. In fact, Carmelo was so bad, 50 year old Olajuwon seemed quicker and more fluid than the 20 something Carmelo.

My point? I understand why the OL regressed. Not everyone has Tunsil's skillset. Not everyone can simply "learn" or teach his technique. Instead of trying to learn Tunsil's technique, Devlin should have been working with him to improve his run blocking while teaching the other less talented OL how to maximize their skillset. Unfortunately, this is another example of how poorly coached the Texans were under O'Brien.

I saw a lot of bad technique but more then anything I saw bad communication. I don't think they suck as individuals, I think they were poor as a collective effort. Devlin out the door is great news.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I hope that whoever they hire is a smart, opinionated ex-NFL offensive lineman .... who knows how to spot, evaluate, and develop talent .... and demand it be drafted. When you constantly settle for mid to late round talent, you are constantly starting off at a huge disadvantage. It is a difficult pill to swallow because they're not sparkly or sexy but, when they're good, they make the rest of the team so much more effective .... on both sides of the ball !

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I hope that whoever they hire is a smart, opinionated ex-NFL offensive lineman .... who knows how to spot, evaluate, and develop talent .... and demand it be drafted. When you constantly settle for mid to late round talent, you are constantly starting off at a huge disadvantage. It is a difficult pill to swallow because they're not sparkly or sexy but, when they're good, they make the rest of the team so much more effective .... on both sides of the ball !
Tunsil 1st round pick
Howard 1st round pick
Scharping 2nd round pick
Martin 2nd round pick

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Tunsil 1st round pick
Howard 1st round pick
Scharping 2nd round pick
Martin 2nd round pick

Hence, my first two requisites were spot and evaluate. I know where they were drafted, but that's not to say that it's where they should have been drafted. For the record, I was not in favor of any one of those picks until later - in varying degrees.

badboy

Hall of Fame

To teach one must have some knowledge of the subject. The book of Solomon.

(don't look it ain't there.)

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
How so?

Do you think those 1st & 2nd rounders are not talented?

Obviously they are talented .... but to the level in which they are being paid or played ? Talent has so many aspects to it. The first thing we look at is physical ... Triangle numbers - height, weight, speed. Then athleticism, intellect, experience, and maybe resolve, heart, determination, even linage. We don't get up close and personal with these guys. It's tough to get a good read on them .... the really good ones usually jump off the page - some way, some how.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Obviously they are talented .... but to the level in which they are being paid or played ? Talent has so many aspects to it. The first thing we look at is physical ... Triangle numbers - height, weight, speed. Then athleticism, intellect, experience, and maybe resolve, heart, determination, even linage. We don't get up close and personal with these guys. It's tough to get a good read on them .... the really good ones usually jump off the page - some way, some how.
I think things were looking pretty good Howard/Scharping’s rookie season. Then took a dive. We’ve been complaining about the OL coach for years.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I didn't think anyone would get it....2shay
I watched it in 1973 shortly before discharging USMC. Trivia: few at time knew that the director of the Freedom School Jean that Bill Jack defended and she was raped in movie was in reality married to Tom Laughlin. Just before they got out of movie industry they opened a Montessori school that IIRC became largest in US. It bankrupted soon after being profiled in Time.Tom Laughlin was a trend setter.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Here's the crazy part... he already has an interview lined up with the Giants and was requested to interview with the Steelers for their O-line Coach openings. What!?
How is it Alabama is missing their opportunity to jump into what has become known as the Mike Devlin sweepstakes? Surely OB would endorse Devlin....right?

Last edited: