Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Minicamp, OTA’s and Preseason

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Might’ve been fun watching a Texans defensive front 4 featuring, Watt, Wilfork, Reader, and Clowney…..they were all there at one point. Not to mention, the Texans wouldn’t have had to convert Clowney from a DE to 3-4 OLB. That would’ve been a tough as nails front line. In all honesty…..Clowney is probably clicking double digit sack totals right along with Watt.
Absolutely. Decision to play a base 4-3 should have been made the moment they decided to take Clowney #1 overall. You don’t invest the top pick in the draft in a player and then ask them to mainly do things they didn’t do in college that earned them the top pick.

Of course then we can also go into the twilight zone scenario where we decide to trade down, gain more picks, and take a stud like Aaron Donald or Khalil Mack instead :)

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
They should be ashamed of taking so long to realize he was out of his depth.

It's OK to make mistakes. We all do. I don't even have a problem with trying to fix those mistakes. But when you pencil him in as GM, basically doubling down on that mistake... too far sir. You have gone too far.
I am waiting for the 30 for 30 episode uncovering just how Cal screwed this up so bad.

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
They should be ashamed of taking so long to realize he was out of his depth.

It's OK to make mistakes. We all do. I don't even have a problem with trying to fix those mistakes. But when you pencil him in as GM, basically doubling down on that mistake... too far sir. You have gone too far.
I stand corrected. I agree, mistakes are made in all walks of life, but the refusal to fix them when it is obvious is unacceptable.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Bears were top 10 in takeaways 7 of the 9 seasons that Lovie was the head coach. But...he had some pretty good players on that defense. When the Texans acquire good defensive players, I'm pretty confident Smith will have defenses that can create turnovers.
Turnovers are great however I heard on the radio this morning someone asking if the Texans would be the lowest scoring team in the NFL this year. Of course the defense can only get the ball.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
however I heard on the radio this morning someone asking if the Texans would be the lowest scoring team in the NFL this year.
Did they also ask if the sky is blue and if water is wet?

Better question would be will they score less than the worst scoring team of the past 10 seasons (2011 Rams 12.06 ppg)? Will they be above the expansion 2002 Texans (13.31 ppg)?

What say you?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Did they also ask if the sky is blue and if water is wet?

Better question would be will they score less than the worst scoring team of the past 10 seasons (2011 Rams 12.06 ppg)? Will they be above the expansion 2002 Texans (13.31 ppg)?

What say you?
They did ask but I told them that I had already traded the sky and water to Philadelphia for three first-round picks

Dejaview

All Pro
I just really like DC. Every time I hear him speak he drives home his philosophy, the one that most folks thought he lacked. Love the “ball security job security“ comment, the no pre snap penalty one, getting takeaways, the idea that it all starts upfront with the big guys, etc. Finally I’m hearing fundamental football preached in Houston. I also like how these players are behind what he and Lovie, Camp and others are coaching and it’s especially good to hear it from several players that have played on good teams before. Still a long way to go but I never expected to see a fundamental football coaching approach so clearly defined so early. We can build into this.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I just really like DC. Every time I hear him speak he drives home his philosophy, the one that most folks thought he lacked. Love the “ball security job security“ comment, the no pre snap penalty one, getting takeaways, the idea that it all starts upfront with the big guys, etc. Finally I’m hearing fundamental football preached in Houston. I also like how these players are behind what he and Lovie, Camp and others are coaching and it’s especially good to hear it from several players that have played on good teams before. Still a long way to go but I never expected to see a fundamental football coaching approach so clearly defined so early. We can build into this.
It is much better than the overly complicated offense that OB spent years trying to find a QB and an OC to run it.

Dejaview

All Pro
It is much better than the overly complicated offense that OB spent years trying to find a QB and an OC to run it.
I read earlier that Tyrod T was the QB for the Bills in 2017 and went to the playoffs. David Culley was his QB coach. Otherwise I still haven’t seen the names of our two latest WW picks on the PS roster yet? there are only 13 players showing up on it now.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I read earlier that Tyrod T was the QB for the Bills in 2017 and went to the playoffs. David Culley was his QB coach.
And the Bills were 31st in passing. Passing game coordinator for the Ravens last year, 32nd in passing, with a much better QB than Taylor.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
And the Bills were 31st in passing. Passing game coordinator for the Ravens last year, 32nd in passing, with a much better QB than Taylor.
To be fair, Culley isn't coaching the Texans QBs this year. Pep Hamilton, who's coming off a success story in San Diego last year, is the QB coach.

Culley is more of the head cheerleader type of head coach.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
To be fair, Culley isn't coaching the Texans QBs this year. Pep Hamilton, who's coming off a success story in San Diego last year, is the QB coach.

I feel like Culley could be like a Pete Carroll type of coach.

When Carroll was with the Jets:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Well, I've gone over all the QBs in the last 10 years that Pep has coached too.

2020 - Herbert, 6th overall
2020 - Tyree Jackson and Cardale Jones (XFL). Tyree has never played an NFL snap and Jones has 19 snaps.
2018 - Shea Patterson - Michigan, undrafted and never made an NFL roster.
2017 - John O'Korn and Brandon Peters - Michigan, both undrafted and never made a roster
2016 - Cody Kessler - Browns (his rookie season), 3rd rounder who's career lasted 3 seasons with 12 starts.
2013-2015 - Andrew Luck - Indy, overall #1.
2012 - Josh Nunes (retired from a weight lifting accident) and Kevin Hogan - Stanford, 1 career start since 2016 for Hogan, hasn't seen a football field since 2017, and last known address was practice squad QB for the Bengals.
And of course, 2010-2011 - Andrew Luck again.

Has success with top end talent for some reason, not so much for anyone else.

Dejaview

All Pro
Didn’t look at Bills 2017 stats but the 11-5 Ravens last year had the lowest passing attempts in the NFL by far and the highest rushing attempts by far in the NFL.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

2020 - Tyree Jackson and Cardale Jones (XFL). Tyree has never played an NFL snap and Jones has 19 snaps.
2017 - John O'Korn and Brandon Peters - Michigan, both undrafted and never made a roster
2016 - Cody Kessler - Browns (his rookie season), 3rd rounder who's career lasted 3 seasons with 12 starts.
2012 - Josh Nunes (retired from a weight lifting accident) and Kevin Hogan - Stanford, 1 career start since 2016 for Hogan, hasn't seen a football field since 2017, and last known address was practice squad QB for the Bengals.

Yeah, both Luck and Herbert were already very good QBs before they get to the NFL.
Most people see them as franchised QB sooner rather than later.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah, both Luck and Herbert were already very good QBs before they get to the NFL.
Most people see them as franchised QB sooner rather than later.
Herbert had question marks from many talent evaluators coming out of college. It's the reason he fell to 6th. He had/has a great arm and good mobility plus he's very smart. I see Strong as a good comp for Herbert. Although Strong's not quite as mobile as Herbert, he's not a statue.

Some of the same knocks that were put on Strong are the ones that scouts put on Herbert. Do you think Washington wishes they would've taken Herbert over Young? I do and I think Young is a great player. I know Miami wishes they had picked Herbert over Tua.

I seem to remember Badboy and myself wanting to trade the Texans current 3rd string QB for the draft rights to pick Herbert.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

To be fair nobody else had much success with those QBs either.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Herbert had question marks from many talent evaluators coming out of college. It's the reason he fell to 6th. He had/has a great arm and good mobility plus he's very smart. I see Strong as a good comp for Herbert. Although Strong's not quite as mobile as Herbert, he's not a statue.

Some of the same knocks that were put on Strong are the ones that scouts put on Herbert. Do you think Washington wishes they would've taken Herbert over Young? I do and I think Young is a great player. I know Miami wishes they had picked Herbert over Tua.

I seem to remember Badboy and myself wanting to trade the Texans current 3rd string QB for the draft rights to pick Herbert.
On the other hand, plenty of people thought Herbert would have been the first QB drafted had he declared a year earlier.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
To be fair nobody else had much success with those QBs either.
Kessler was a third round pick and an efficient college QB.
His stats (88 TDs vs 19 INTs.) were definitely way better than Mills.
You'd think a good QB coach can at least make him a capable back up?

Pep was also the QB coach for the Bears under Lovie Smith.

2007:
(Grossman, Orton, Griese) 17 TDs - 21 INTs

2008:
Grossman, Orton
20-14

2009:
Cutler 27-26

banned1976

sleeper mode
Yeah, I dived into Pep and Culley’s careers when they were first announced as parts of the Texans coaching staff. I’m just not impressed at all. And nothing happened during this preseason to make me feel any different about them. This looks like an offense that is going to struggle to score points, or even sustain drives.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Yeah, I dived into Pep and Culley’s careers when they were first announced as parts of the Texans coaching staff. I’m just not impressed at all. And nothing happened during this preseason to make me feel any different about them. This looks like an offense that is going to struggle to score points, or even sustain drives.
To be fair, this offense was going to struggle to be average regardless of the HC and QB coach.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't value a lot of what John McClain says, but yesterday on Texans Access, he said something that did make sense.

Preseason doesn't mean a lot, we know this, as far as judging how good, or how bad a team is or will be.

But one thing he did appreciate, The Texans said they were going to run the ball better, they're going to stop the run better, they were going to force turnovers, & a couple of other things I can't remember. Whether it carries into the season or not, the Texans did what they said they were going to do in the preseason.

So at least we know they are working on it, & seeing results.

Again, has no bearing on what will happen in the regular season. Just the fact that they appear to be working on the things they said they were going to work on, is cause for hope.

& I agree with him.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I don't value a lot of what John McClain says, but yesterday on Texans Access, he said something that did make sense.

Preseason doesn't mean a lot, we know this, as far as judging how good, or how bad a team is or will be.

But one thing he did appreciate, The Texans said they were going to run the ball better, they're going to stop the run better, they were going to force turnovers, & a couple of other things I can't remember. Whether it carries into the season or not, the Texans did what they said they were going to do in the preseason.

So at least we know they are working on it, & seeing results.

Again, has no bearing on what will happen in the regular season. Just the fact that they appear to be working on the things they said they were going to work on, is cause for hope.

& I agree with him.
They sure did. A bunch of guys that won't even be in the building Sunday did good against the run and forced some turnovers last month, against players who also won't be wearing an NFL uniform on Sunday.

Sunday there will be a team out there we've seen very little of in the last month, against a team that isn't guys currently looking for work. Even though it is the Jags, but still. It's not the same game.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They sure did. A bunch of guys that won't even be in the building Sunday did good against the run and forced some turnovers last month, against players who also won't be wearing an NFL uniform on Sunday.
Would you have preferred they did not run the ball well, stop the run, & produce turnovers. That there would be no evidence of them doing what they said they would do?

It's not the same game.
I understand.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Would you have preferred they did not run the ball well, stop the run, & produce turnovers. That there would be no evidence of them doing what they said they would do?

I understand.
Sure it’s good to see, but like I said, it’s not the same game. The players we’ll see Sunday won’t be the ones we saw last month getting all the turnovers and run stops. The guy picking up all the yards in the run game might not even suit up. That’s all I’m saying.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The **** are you talking about? You want to start being an ass I can certainly play that game.
Geez!
No one argued the meaningless nature of the preseason. But you feel compelled to bring it up when anyone tries to have a discussion about the phase of the NFL season.

Yeah we can talk about me "start being an ass" but don't pretend this is something new for you or in retaliation to anything I've said.