Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Minicamp, OTA’s and Preseason

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I like the guy.

I’m surprised Kelly is still here, confuses me as to what they want to implement on offense.
that’s b/c you’re working under the presumption that like DC’s, OC’s get to implement their own philosophies...and that’s rarely the case with OC’s. Only the seasoned who have demonstrated past success get to do that as what you would call “stand alone” OC’s......basically, the Kubiak’s of the world...& it ain’t many of them around...who aren’t also HC’s anyway.

The reality is Kelly isn’t in that category and he’ll be beholden to whatever Culley wants him to implement and run. He’s so green, that there’s a world where he might actually be a better OC under Culley A, b/c he’ll have Pep to help him with the pass game, B, he doesn’t have tyrant Bill looming over him ready to snatch playcalling at any moment....& C, Culley will likely actually let him develop his skills as a coach and playcalller and the environment itself is just better without BoB.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
A, b/c he’ll have Pep to help him with the pass game, B, he doesn’t have tyrant Bill looming over him ready to snatch playcalling at any moment
What did you think of Carl Smith?

He & Kelly were pretty much in the same position last season after week 4. I wasn't expecting to see new plays, but after the "Kelly would put together a game plan during the week, then BO'b would change it at the last minute." I expected to see less predictability, & more "game planning"

But we didn't.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
What did you think of Carl Smith?

He & Kelly were pretty much in the same position last season after week 4. I wasn't expecting to see new plays, but after the "Kelly would put together a game plan during the week, then BO'b would change it at the last minute." I expected to see less predictability, & more "game planning"

But we didn't.
after week 4 the book was out on the team period. We couldn’t run the ball at all and no amount of game planning was gonna change the fact that we were 1 dimensional and reliant on DW4. Those things alone limit gameplanninh and how unpredictable you can be. Aside from that, the team was in an unstable situation once Bill got the axe...couldn’t expect too much change in anything really.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
after week 4 the book was out on the team period. We couldn’t run the ball at all and no amount of game planning was gonna change the fact that we were 1 dimensional and reliant on DW4. Those things alone limit gameplanninh and how unpredictable you can be. Aside from that, the team was in an unstable situation once Bill got the axe...couldn’t expect too much change in anything really.
I agree. Kelly was awful at his job.

Dejaview

All Pro
I love this guy, even if he turns out to be a horrible coach he sure is likeable and I see why he was hired! I wish I was all sunshine and rainbows, wife tells me I am a negative asshole...
Funny looking at the minicamp photos seeing Cully and Lovie out there. In Space City looks like the Texans got their own Space Cowboys to repair this damaged capsule. I like Cully too. NC has raved about his consistency which I take it to mean his focus on competitiveness and attitude. But forget that. He said he loves Houston TexMex. Said he starts with Nachos and adds on from there.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
A likeable head coach is a good step toward re energizing the fan base.

Texans basically have a free year coming up. No expectations of any kind of success. But they need to show some signs that the potential is there to get some of us drifters to pay close attention again.
A winning team would energize the fan base. Oh I forget that the Texans were in the playoffs 2 yrs ago and this wasn't the case.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Who is this “Kyle in ownership” he speaks of?

& why did they have to “all of a sudden” identify a QB? Wasn’t that part of the regular scouting process?

He might be country therefore, pronouncing Cal name a Kyle. Lol

Probably because they were still saying Watson was their man. TT was here if Watson would’ve gotten hurt. Ryan is a camp body who might not make the cut. And Mills was drafted because they finally see the writing on the wall with D4.

With D4 situation and his stance on not being a Texan staying the same. They had to hopefully find their new QB for the future.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Probably because they were still saying Watson was their man. TT was here if Watson would’ve gotten hurt. Ryan is a camp body who might not make the cut. And Mills was drafted because they finally see the writing on the wall with D4.
Regardless, scouts should be working up all these players, grouping them, ranking them, regardless of team needs.

He makes it sound like a last minute thing.

Someone in our scouting department should have had a pin on the Davis Mills folder.

I already said I don't like the pick, but I had hoped he was on their list & they took him because he was BPA.

Now it sounds like they targeted him there & now I really hate the pick.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
They drafted Mills because they knew Watson wasn't coming back, and they also knew the two QBs on the roster (before the draft) were not a long term solution. One of them is injured a lot and the other not much better than your normal camp fodder. Unless someone comes up with a good reason they should have taken another (available) QB, I don't see where Mills was a bad pick.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Regardless, scouts should be working up all these players, grouping them, ranking them, regardless of team needs.

Someone in our scouting department should have had a pin on the Davis Mills folder.

I already said I don't like the pick, but I had hoped he was on their list & they took him because he was BPA.

According to Shaw, Pep knew Mills well..

Just like Pep/McDaniels knew Collins well.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
According to Shaw, Pep knew Mills well..

Just like Pep/McDaniels knew Collins well.
I understand that. However, at the beginning of his conference he talks about the great job Nick & his staff did earmarking a guy that fits "all of a sudden" & that's the part I'm having issues with.

Dejaview

All Pro

Someone already posted, and I agree, that they were targeting Collins at 67 and were surprised that Mills was still available so they took him and traded in for the Collins pick.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Someone already posted, and I agree, that they were targeting Collins at 67 and were surprised that Mills was still available so they took him and traded in for the Collins pick.
If the Texans liked Mills that much, they should/would have trade up to get him.

There were two QBs that went just before him.

If he was "that good", the Texans would have to be worried about other teams scooping him up rather than taking Trask or Monk.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
If the Texans liked Mills that much, they should/would have trade up to get him.

If he was "that good", the Texans would have to be worried about other teams scooping him up rather than taking Trask or Monk.

Or they liked 2 out of the 3 qbs and didn't see it as necessary. If they're playing the bpa game they may have had an alternative at a position other than qb in the cards to.

that’s b/c you’re working under the presumption that like DC’s, OC’s get to implement their own philosophies...and that’s rarely the case with OC’s. Only the seasoned who have demonstrated past success get to do that as what you would call “stand alone” OC’s......basically, the Kubiak’s of the world...& it ain’t many of them around...who aren’t also HC’s anyway.

The reality is Kelly isn’t in that category and he’ll be beholden to whatever Culley wants him to implement and run. He’s so green,that there’s a world where he might actually be a better OC under Culley A, b/c he’ll have Pep to help him with the pass game, B, he doesn’t have tyrant Bill looming over him ready to snatch playcalling at any moment....& C, Culley will likely actually let him develop his skills as a coach and playcalller and the environment itself is just better without BoB.
It is no big deal to me but I have to ask you something. Why do you always start your post with lower case letters?

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Or they liked 2 out of the 3 qbs and didn't see it as necessary. If they're playing the bpa game they may have had an alternative at a position other than qb in the cards to.
So you mean the Texans were willing to take whatever guy that comes available at 67?

They don't regard Mills highly then.

On the other hand:

- The Buccs, with Bruce Arians "take no prisoner" vertical offense passed on the guy that "supposedly throw 74 yards with a flick of the wrist" to take Kyle Trash who operates in a one-back spread offense in Florida.

- The Vikings, which runs the WCO that Kubiak Jr. inherited, passed on a Stanford guy, whose coach calls himself "a West Coast purist" to take Kellen Mond, who also runs a one-back spread offense at A&M.

Those two teams clearly didn't value Mill's "perceived" strength / system knowledge and familiarity highly enough.

Why?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
So you mean the Texans were willing to take whatever guy that comes available at 67?

On the other hand:

- The Buccs, with Bruce Arians "take no prisoner" vertical offense passed on the guy that "supposedly throw 74 yards with a flick of the wrist" to take Kyle Trash who operates in a one-back spread offense in Florida.

- The Vikings, which runs the WCO that Kubiak Jr. inherited, passed on a Stanford guy, whose coach calls himself "a West Coast purist" to take Kellen Mond, who also runs a one-back spread offense at A&M.

Those two teams clearly didn't value Mill's "perceived" strength / system knowledge and familiarity highly enough.

Why?
Mills hatched a year early.....that’s all. Keep him in the incubator for a season and all will be fine when we discuss Mills in 2022. I’m pretty sure the Bears thought Trubisky was the greatest thing since sliced bread when they weighed his value to Mahomes and Watson’s.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Mills hatched a year early.....that’s all. Keep him in the incubator for a season and all will be fine when we discuss Mills in 2022. I’m pretty sure the Bears thought Trubisky was the greatest thing since sliced bread when they weighed his value to Mahoney and Watson’s.
The Bears took the risk on a QB that only had one year as a starter too high.
They were forced to play him too early.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Are you saying Mills doesn't have the ability to become a successful NFL QB?
I do not see the "IT" factor with him.
Pun intended, he lives up to his name sake " Run of the mill".
Sorry if I sound harsh.
My drafting philosophy regarding a third rounder had already been stated; that guy has to become a solid starter.
For the QB position; however, I don't want to get stuck with another Schaub's level play.
Make it harder to get deep into the playoffs.

At this moment in time, the Texans need to build a team; they can't not afford to spend a third rounder on a QB that needs grooming.

When you have a QB like Brady and a team that can be a perennial contender, you can do that.

Number19

Hall of Fame
They definitely had the assess to move into the second round.

Either way, they did not regard Mills highly since they did not move up.
You may not approve of their choice, but Mills was clearly their choice; and at some point late in the second round, in a phone call, informed Mills he would be their pick if he was there at 67. This also informs us that the Texans were going to let the draft fall to them and not trade up.

Of course we don't know with certainty who their pick would have been had Mills not been there, but the case for Nicole Collins has been made, and I'm on board with this owing to the fact that they did make a trade in the bottom of the round.

It may well be, not having a pick in the first or second rounds, the Texans got two players they were really high on and targeting.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
They definitely had the assess to move into the second round.

Either way, they did not regard Mills highly since they did not move up.

Or...Caserio took a calculated risk and got the player he wanted without spending the capital to move up. idonno:

We most likely will never know. Good GM's take that chance. We are, after all, discussing third round picks.

Time will tell the story on Trask, Mond and Mills.

:coffee:

Dejaview

All Pro

That would be talking about a trade for a high draft pick next year. NC didn’t want that. But he saw the value at 67.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
There are 3 QBs left ater the first round.

As a GM, after consulting with scouts and coaches, you identify a guy you think have a good chance of becoming a top 16 QB.

The problem is you only have pick 67.

What do you do?

Ask yourself that question

Dejaview

All Pro
There are 3 QBs left ater the first round.

As a GM, after consulting with scouts and coaches, you identify a guy you think have a good chance of becoming a top 16 QB.

The problem is you only have pick 67.

What do you do?

Ask yourself that question
My self told me to get him at 67 if available because I’m not giving up a #1 next year. Edit. Did anyone trade up for Trask or Mond?

Dejaview

All Pro
Speculation.
This is all speculation but they have coaches that liked this guy. They obviously liked him at 67 and perhaps higher but I’m pretty sure they in no way were going to give up a high rounder next year after feeling the consequences of that type of decision this year. And I have no doubt that NC knows that if Mills is the real deal their #1 next year will be in high demand that could move this franchise quickly ahead if turned into trades or picks.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Am I crazy or does that OL look serviceable?

Secondary is a nightmare though
LT - Pro Bowler (I guess?)
LG - Was benched twice in 2020
RT - Should have been benched in 2020
RG - Played in 3 games past 2 seasons
C - Hasn't played since 2019.

We can now refer to you as Krazy Kiwi.

The secondary will look better without Hargreaves and playing a lot of zone. A pass rush couldn't hurt, either.

Yes I wonder how quickley Culley is axed as a scapegoat for the teams failure.
When Caserio begins to feel pressure to win and not "create culture." I think Culley gets 3 years.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.

On the other hand:

Why?

So if we don't trade up, we must not really want the guy? Ok.