Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans mini camp

SBTexans08

Rookie
The Texans are having their first training camp starting May 7-9 then another June 14-16 and I'm just dying to get involved with everything dealing with the Texans. What I'm wanting to know is whether the training camp is available to the public. I'd love to see it in person but I'm sure if folks are allowed to, it'd be an extremely limited amount of people with special passes or something. If not, I guess I'll have to settle for coverage on channel 24, ESPN, and channel 13. :(

Thanks in advance! ;)

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Last year, the evening sessions of most of the training camp days were open to the public. The Texans built bleachers for the purpose and had concessions, signings, etc. going on outside. Tickets were free through Foley's. Don't remember the mini-camps being open to the public last year.

SBTexans08

Rookie
Thanks infantrycak! Hey, any training camp will do! I'll be sure to go to either one that's for the public. This is totally great news!

keyfro

Veteran
the mini camps were not open to the public but the training camps in late june early july were...hopefully they do that again it was a fun atmosphere :banana:

sctx109

Practice Squad
From my understanding, the mini-camps are not open to the public. The training camp which usually starts the third week of July or so through the second week of August had the night practices open to the public. Usually, there would be three night practices a week. Last year, the tickets were gree but had to be obtained from Foley's or I think Fiesta food, but not positive on that or how they are going to do it this year.

aj.

All Pro
sctx109 said:
...the mini-camps are not open to the public ... training camp which usually starts the third week of July or so through the second week of August had the night practices open to the public. Usually, there would be three night practices a week. Last year, the tickets were free but had to be obtained from Foley's ...
This is correct.

TexanExile

A New Hope
By the way, it seems like the season's starting late this year! We have a preseason game on SEPTEMBER 2. When does Texans camp start?

sctx109

Practice Squad
Do not believe they have set the exact date yet, but I might be wrong. However, camp started July 25th last year, so maybe something like July 30th or July 31st. It seems everything is getting started a week later this year, but I just cannot see the starting date for training camp being pushed back until August. Additionally, even though the first scheduled preseason game is on August 14th, I remember hearing that the Dolphins will visit and practice some joint dates with the Texans and then play a scrimmage, which would logically occur some time the weekend of August 7th maybe. Just a guess, but the Texans would get a week of practice under their belts before practicing with the Dolphins. Wasn't there a rumor about practicing with the Saints too? That makes sense to me, but someone else with better knowledge, please help out.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
There are 2 posts dated 4-30-04. I'm not sure which was posted first in the day but...

...Is the other.

These are the first threads of the tt site as we know it now, and I thought it would be cool to revisit them.

Where were you then? How naive?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I'm proud to say I "membered" on 6-27-04. Senority doesn't make my opinion right by any means, just cool to know I got here early.

Thank you @Hookem Horns for what you do.
I started lurking right about then... tried to join multiple times over the next year or so before finally being added after I changed my user name to JB

powda

I started lurking right about then... tried to join multiple times over the next year or so before finally being added after I changed my user name to JB

Yup, I actually had some back and forth with Vinny on my first post. Something about the merits of a new olb's contract vs a dl contract.

I was 2 weeks away from graduating valedictorian of my police academy. Damn, I'd tell my younger self do anything but what I actually did.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Yup, I actually had some back and forth with Vinny on my first post. Something about the merits of a new olb's contract vs a dl contract.

I was 2 weeks away from graduating valedictorian of my police academy. Damn, I'd tell my younger self do anything but what I actually did.
I got neg rep for my first post when Casserly moved up to draft Babin. I said he would be known as Asserly from then on... :D

Number19

Hall of Fame
There are 2 posts dated 4-30-04. I'm not sure which was posted first in the day but...

...Is the other.

These are the first threads of the tt site as we know it now, and I thought it would be cool to revisit them.

It's been a long ride. I "membered" a few days later on May 2.

powda

I may need to surf through old posts to find it but I was also there for the pink soap revolution. I had a back and forth with a mod on it and it just turned into a thing. Very cool to be a part of that. Seeing folks weild pink soap avatars 10 years later everytime they were pissed was astounding.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I may need to surf through old posts to find it but I was also there for the pink soap revolution. I had a back and forth with a mod on it and it just turned into a thing. Very cool to be a part of that. Seeing folks weild pink soap avatars 10 years later everytime they were pissed was astounding.
pink soap was so popular you could select it as an avatar without having to upload a pic

powda

I say all this to say, my life hasn't always been what I wanted. It wasn’t always pleasant. I've been juvenile here at times but at least I shared a common intrest with a handful of folks. I still live and die Sundays on if we win or lose. I still share that common ground. I've met some amazing people along the way and some genuine dumbazzes. I still look forward to the smell of fresh cut grass on a September football field.

It's a fresh start and that's the most some of us can hope for.

4-30-24 is the 20 year anniversary of this site and we should do something BIG.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I wonder why it shows the accurate join date for some and has a default 2009 date for others?
Probably because there were originally 2+ Texans boards. One of them was on the NFL Texans' Mothership site.

I membered up on both of those boards in 2006 with the beginning of the Kubiak era and that Mario vs. VY draft. I was interested in getting other opinions on what was going on and better info than I was getting up in Dallas.

Then there was the great Debacle over on the Mothership board because they "upgraded" the system and made it infinitely worse. And Hookem was nice enough merge the two. The people with the default member dates were probably from the Merge for accounts that were on the Mothership but not here, or vice versa.

...Is the other.

I joined in 06 and it looks like I did right before the draft. My first post was about the number that Reggie Bush could select as his jersey number since there were still restrictions by position back then.

The next post was in the same thread telling someone not to have a “poopy attitude” hahahahahahaha. Quite a ride this board has been on.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Probably because there were originally 2+ Texans boards. One of them was on the NFL Texans' Mothership site.

I membered up on both of those boards in 2006 with the beginning of the Kubiak era and that Mario vs. VY draft. I was interested in getting other opinions on what was going on and better info than I was getting up in Dallas.

Then there was the great Debacle over on the Mothership board because they "upgraded" the system and made it infinitely worse. And Hookem was nice enough merge the two. The people with the default member dates were probably from the Merge for accounts that were on the Mothership but not here, or vice versa.
That was when I was trying to join here but couldn't get through. I lurked since 2002 and finally tried to join. My first post was in the 04 draft

Porky

Hall of Fame
I’ve been here since the very beginning. Vinny invited me from the old board on the main website. Super Nice guy. I miss Vinny. One day he PM’ed me and said hey I’ve got free tickets for you and your wife this Sunday. Just meet me outside the stadium. So, we did. And true to his word, Vinny was out there, tickets in hand asking for nothing but a handshake. As someone of fairly modest means, I’ll never forget it.

Texans fans like you guys and gals are like family. You can get pissed at them, disagree, and argue. But at the end of the day we’re family. Someday, this team is going to bring home a trophy and this board and city will go crazy. Thanks to all of you guys for the discussions over the years. Cheers!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’ve been here since the very beginning. Vinny invited me from the old board on the main website. Super Nice guy. I miss Vinny. One day he PM’ed me and said hey I’ve got free tickets for you and your wife this Sunday. Just meet me outside the stadium. So, we did. And true to his word, Vinny was out there, tickets in hand asking for nothing but a handshake. As someone of fairly modest means, I’ll never forget it.

Texans fans like you guys and gals are like family. You can get pissed at them, disagree, and argue. But at the end of the day we’re family. Someday, this team is going to bring home a trophy and this board and city will go crazy. Thanks to all of you guys for the discussions over the years. Cheers!
Hope we live to see this. It's not looking promising.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Hope we live to see this. It's not looking promising.
I think it's more promising than it's ever been for this franchice looking at it over the course of the next 5 years. Of course, it's an uphill battle, but this team is better positioned to at least make a run at a trophy than at any point in its history. We could argue about the later Schaub years where they crossed with the very early JJ years. It's close but I like where they are at now with a young signal-caller with more upside than Mattie ice.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Vinny did the same for me and many others.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think it's more promising than it's ever been for this franchice looking at it over the course of the next 5 years. Of course, it's an uphill battle, but this team is better positioned to at least make a run at a trophy than at any point in its history. We could argue about the later Schaub years where they crossed with the very early JJ years. It's close but I like where they are at now with a young signal-caller with more upside than Mattie ice.
This entirely is about how good you think Stroud is, will become. I can see him being a fine QB and choking in the clutch like he did against Michigan.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I've been here since day 1.. my handle then was just Carr Bomb. After it was apparent that Carr sucked, Vinny was kind enough to change it for me. 😊 Has anyone heard from him?

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This entirely is about how good you think Stroud is, will become. I can see him being a fine QB and choking in the clutch like he did against Michigan.
He didn't choke in the clutch against Georgia. A shanked FG attempt did the Buckeyes in. He also didn't choke in the clutch against Michigan. The OSU defense did, giving up big play after big play. CJ's 2 INTS didn't help, but he wasn't on the field for the 21 points Michigan put up in the 4th quarter. Get your facts straight if you're going to go throwing opinions around and have anyone take you seriously.
Michigan at Ohio State Box Score, November 26, 2022 | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
Peach Bowl - Ohio State vs Georgia Box Score, December 31, 2022 | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
Check out the scoring summaries for both games.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

SteelB did the same for me with a game ticket a couple of years ago. It was really nice meeting him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He didn't choke in the clutch against Georgia. A shanked FG attempt did the Buckeyes in. He also didn't choke in the clutch against Michigan. The OSU defense did, giving up big play after big play. CJ's 2 INTS didn't help, but he wasn't on the field for the 21 points Michigan put up in the 4th quarter. Get your facts straight if you're going to go throwing opinions around and have anyone take you seriously.
Michigan at Ohio State Box Score, November 26, 2022 | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
Peach Bowl - Ohio State vs Georgia Box Score, December 31, 2022 | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
Check out the scoring summaries for both games.
A college fg of 50 plus yds is hardly a gimme. In fact I would say there's less than a 50% chance of success. Are you saying Stroud played well in the 4th quarter of that game? If so, agree to disagree.

As far as Michigan goes, very simply, McCarthy outplayed Stroud

Stroud is the only QB to lose to Michigan in a decade and he did it twice. Coincidence?

Like I said Stroud isn't a bad QB, he's just not a winner

Last edited: