Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Medical Staff

badboy

Hall of Fame
The medical staff that is responsible for "clearing" players coming off of injury will never be affected...........The Houston Hospital system has been a hugely lucrative paying sponsor of the Texans for 20 years..........and will not be jeopardized.
Could not another hospital system replace them continuing the lucrative relationship? Offering better service.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Like everything else Texans related, it comes down to cash.
Exactly but its not all on the Texans side though. As someone who works in the healthcare industry alongside Methodist, they are all about the cash too & they've been leveraging their relationship with the Texans for years to secure market share over the other hospitals...So what they pay in sponsorship they make 10 fold over just by running commercials with Texans athletes in them. Someone i know saw Schaub coming out of Methodist on a knee scooter & broke the news to me roughly 4-5 hours before it was officially announced he would be gone with his lis-franc back in 2011. I say all that to say, no way in hell Methodist lets the Texans go find someone else in another system & to be honest, Memorial Hermann is the only other system that has the means here in Houston.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Exactly but its not all on the Texans side though. As someone who works in the healthcare industry alongside Methodist, they are all about the cash too & they've been leveraging their relationship with the Texans for years to secure market share over the other hospitals...So what they pay in sponsorship they make 10 fold over just by running commercials with Texans athletes in them. Someone i know saw Schaub coming out of Methodist on a knee scooter & broke the news to me roughly 4-5 hours before it was officially announced he would be gone with his lis-franc back in 2011. I say all that to say, no way in hell Methodist lets the Texans go find someone else in another system & to be honest, Memorial Hermann is the only other system that has the means here in Houston.
This relationship is fraught with potential for Dr.'s to give the OK to get players back on the field as possible before players should be back out there.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Surely Methodist can replace Dr Lowe.
Not really how it works. For 1, Most of these guys have privileges at multiple hospitals here in Houston. So even if they replaced him, i'm sure the other hospital systems would love to bring him on board as the main guy.......... In addition to this, whomever he is, i'm sure he's a big wig at Methodist who carries multiple titles, is on multiple boards and probably is over multiple departments at Methodist.......... & likely BCM. He's also probably the best they have evidenced by this little nugget
https://www.drwaltlowe.com/news/dr-walter-lowe-named-nfl-team-physician-of-the-year/

Finally, he's also likely under contract on some level as well.

I say all that to say, that to "replace" him would likely be difficult for them on multiple fronts. Much easier just for them to beg & kiss the Texans ass.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Edit: after researching this guy, he's actually not even affiliated with BCM. He's a UT health sciences guy. Which means he's mostly affiliated with Memorial Hermann. He probably just has to operate on Texans players at Methodist as part of their sponsorship contract with the Texans or something. In any case, his bio reads pretty much like i thought it would. He's among the best in the city/nation at what he does so you're likely not gonna get anyone better if you attempted to replace him.

http://www.memorialhermann.org/doctors/orthopedic-surgeons/dr-walter-lowe-md-1003/

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes but if Methodist for 20 years has considered the relationship profitable why would not another medical organization?
I dont know why, but you better belive that the Texans sell off to the highest bidder just like they do with naming rights etc....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Edit: after researching this guy, he's actually not even affiliated with BCM. He's a UT health sciences guy. Which means he's mostly affiliated with Memorial Hermann. He probably just has to operate on Texans players at Methodist as part of their sponsorship contract with the Texans or something. In any case, his bio reads pretty much like i thought it would. He's among the best in the city/nation at what he does so you're likely not gonna get anyone better if you attempted to replace him.

http://www.memorialhermann.org/doctors/orthopedic-surgeons/dr-walter-lowe-md-1003/
True

But he's sold out when it comes to getting players back on the field before they've recovered from injury. I like how teams like the Pats/Chiefs handle injuries. For instance the Chiefs sat Fisher until he was fully healed up so that he would be protecting Mahomes blindside in the playoffs.

It's the diffence between playing the long game and being short sighted when it to dealing with injury situations.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I dont want to screw up the injury thread, per CnD's requset

So I thought I would start up a thread where we can discuss the pro's (Very few) and Cons (Many) of the Texans current medical staff.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
True

But he's sold out when it comes to getting players back on the field before they've recovered from injury. I like how teams like the Pats/Chiefs handle injuries. For instance the Chiefs sat Fisher until he was fully healed up so that he would be protecting Mahomes blindside in the playoffs.

It's the diffence between playing the long game and being short sighted when it to dealing with injury situations.
Eh, i don't think he's any different than most of these team docs. The NFL season is just too short to give these guys the time they TRULY need to heal. I've said it on here several times that its hard to keep players off the field with such a short season like the NFL...Doc has corrected me in saying that the team docs are the only ones who truly have a say in clearing these guys to play, but i think most docs lean towards the players point of view in that they know these guys only have a finite amount of time to do what they do. So unless its really bad they sort of look the other way & let them go out & try to help their teams as much as they can even in knowing that they're likely not truly 100% ready or healed. But from a business perspective, its not really a bad thing for the docs as im sure quite often the players come back to those same docs and get that surgery they'd been putting off until the offseason. More cash in the end for them.................not to say that the docs look for that.

its an interesting topic and dynamic for sure.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Eh, i don't think he's any different than most of these team docs. The NFL season is just too short to give these guys the time they TRULY need to heal. I've said it on here several times that its hard to keep players off the field with such a short season like the NFL...Doc has corrected me in saying that the team docs are the only ones who truly have a say in clearing these guys to play, but i think most docs lean towards the players point of view in that they know these guys only have a finite amount of time to do what they do. So unless its really bad they sort of look the other way & let them go out & try to help their teams as much as they can even in knowing that they're likely not truly 100% ready or healed. But from a business perspective, its not really a bad thing for the docs as im sure quite often the players come back to those same docs and get that surgery they'd been putting off until the offseason. More cash in the end for them.................not to say that the docs look for that.

its an interesting topic and dynamic for sure.
Agreed

Lets move this subject over to the new thread I created, so that we can keep the injury thread clean. (Per CnD's request.)

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I don't think its just the Texans medical staff..I think all the NFL medical staffs are about the same. The pressure may be a little different for teams trying to break through vs. those who know they can likely withstand a key injury, but they're all mostly the same. Just think about how many players every year sustain hamstring injuries like WFV...& how many of those guys are back out there playing after 1-2 weeks like he was; Derrick Henry may not have even played in the playoffs. If all medical staffs truly held power & held guys out for the requisite amount of time they should so that they could heal up, we'd see far more top guys sitting on the sidelines, there likely wouldn't be teams like the Ravens winning 12-14 games every year either. Everyone would be much closer.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't think its just the Texans medical staff..I think all the NFL medical staffs are about the same. The pressure may be a little different for teams trying to break through vs. those who know they can likely withstand a key injury, but they're all mostly the same. Just think about how many players every year sustain hamstring injuries like WFV...& how many of those guys are back out there playing after 1-2 weeks like he was; Derrick Henry may not have even played in the playoffs. If all medical staffs truly held power & held guys out for the requisite amount of time they should so that they could heal up, we'd see far more top guys sitting on the sidelines, there likely wouldn't be teams like the Ravens winning 12-14 games every year either. Everyone would be much closer.
True, but if you have depth you can survive a good but not WR 1 loss like WFV.

But with a guy like WFV they really should've let him take 4-6 weeks off to get fully healthy and be a differencemaker in the playoffs. This is why I hope they draft a couple of WR's (One in the 4th and another one later) so they have 4 WR's that can play when WFV gets hurt again. There will be guys available that can play in this deep WR draft late.

My favorite guys are Duvernay in the slot and Tyrie Cleveland are later rd guys I like and would both upgrade KR/PR.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
True, but if you have depth you can survive a good but not WR 1 loss like WFV.

But with a guy like WFV they really should've let him take 4-6 weeks off to get fully healthy and be a differencemaker in the playoffs. This is why I hope they draft a couple of WR's (One in the 4th and another one later) so they have 4 WR's that can play when WFV gets hurt again. There will be guys available that can play in this deep WR draft late.

My favorite guys are Duvernay in the slot and Tyrie Cleveland are later rd guys I like and would both upgrade KR/PR.
I think what happened with Fuller this year had to do with his ACL the previous year. He spent the majority (if not all) of the off season rehabbing that injury. Rehab isn’t the same as performance training. On top of that Fuller is a sub 4.3 guy and you can’t imagine the forces he can put on his body running at that speed.

I think his soft tissue injuries came from not being in true NFL game condition. There simply wasn’t enough time in the off season to rehab, then train the body for elite performance. I’m sure he felt fine and he was still very fast when he played. However, it’s important to remember, in a game situation he has to run multiple routes at high speed during a game. As a muscle fatigues it can’t handle the same amount of force as a fresh muscle. The muscle get tired and a tear occurs.

I know he had hernia surgery this off season but that should be a quicker recovery. It should allow time to train to better prepare his body for the load it will see during a game

You are 100% right though, we need better depth in case injuries occur at the WR position

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Just an FYI. If you look up Dr. Lowe, there is virtually no information on his staffship. It's apparent that there is some animosity between the two. His curriculum vitae on the Memorial website does not mention his Methodist affiliation.......and the Methodist website doesn't mention his Memorial affiliation. Lowe has only been with the Memorial system since 2009. He has been with Methodist since 1995........originally as a Baylor physician.............and since June 2002, the Texans team physician. Mr. Tex has outlined properly why Methodist will not lose its bought and paid for sponsorship long-term, and why Dr. Lowe will not leave the bought an paid for Texans position. When attempted, breaking these type of associations have proven financially very complicated for all entities.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Reliable hands are more important than speed.
Depends on the strengths/weaknesses of coaching and your QB.

"More important" is situational.

Both have their high importance depending on what you plan to do with them and what your QB is capable of IMO.

Best hands and slow feet, better pray your QB can be precise or those hands wont matter when its going the other way.