Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Hire Jeff Zgonina

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Some might not think this is thread worthy, but I always liked this dude for some reason. He wasn't the best, but he worked harder than any player I've seen at TC. Plus, dude's built like a dadgum stump.

Tania Ganguli‏

The #Texans hired former Texans DT Jeff Zgonina as assistant d line coach. D-Line coach Bill Kollar was Zgonina's position coach in college
Mark Berman‏@MarkBermanFox26

Texans announce Jeff Zgonina as the team's ass't. D-line coach & promote Russell Joyner to director of football information systems.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He's carrying a lot of baggage back to the Texans.............GOOD baggage! A Sun Sentinel piece written back in 2004......nothing changed when he joined the Texans the first time.......no reason to think it has since then.

The Zgonina Way
12-year Veteran Brings Infectious Ethic, Leadership To Clubhouse.
September 7, 2004|By Dave Joseph Staff writer

Just a small excerpt:
"You won't find another athlete with as much respect, as much experience, as Jeff Zgonina in this game," Chester said. "He's seen everything and done most of it. His passion runs so deep. No matter what kind of environment he's in, he still tries to be the best.

"I'm inspired by him to work harder and try to refine myself as a student of the game. He's not only a student but probably a professor. Having that guy around you does nothing but affect the rest of the team."

Brooks believes Zgonina is "a great role model for younger players" and has been a "stabilizing influence."

"The guy's experienced," Brooks said. "He's been on a Super Bowl team. He's a guy who's been released and signed, released and signed. ... He's know what it's like to be on the streets. He's in his 30s, 12 years in the league, and he runs around here like he's 25. That's how he practices, how he prepares, that's how he plays. He's focused on being a professional and he's focused on the game. He has a lot of respect for the game and for himself."

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Some might not think this is thread worthy, but I always liked this dude for some reason. He wasn't the best, but he worked harder than any player I've seen at TC. Plus, dude's built like a dadgum stump.
I liked him as a player. Not a star by any means, but a role player. Got to have role players.

deucetx

Rookie
Always nice to have blue collar guys on staff and on the sidelines. As for the question on Marciano....even someone on Jeopardy couldn't answer that question lol.

SAMURAITEXAN

All Pro
Good hire. He's been around for many years and should be able to teach our guys some moves, work ethic, etc. from his experience.

Why wouldn't you want a J.J. Watt clone in Margus Hunt out of SMU? That's who I hope we land with our first-round pick, trading up if necessary.
Hunt may resemble Watt in terms of size, but he is hardly a clone.

Watt dominated as a DE for Wisconsin. He was an above average run defender and a high motor quality pass rusher. He was considered a fairly polished 3-4 DE prospect and one of the safest picks in the draft. He was projected to be a good (not great) NFL player.

Hunt is extremely raw. He is not the polished product Watt was. While his run defending has improved, he isn't above average like Watt was. His pass rushing is sporadic. Due to lack of experience he tried to bull rush his way to the QB. On some plays, he was great, on others, he was pushed out of the way, mirrored away, or allowed a big run up the middle. He has potential and has made good strides, but he is a high risk high reward player. He is hardly the safest player in the draft like a Watt.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Why wouldn't it be thread worthy?

I liked the way Jeff played. Wasn't the most talented guy on the field, but there's a reason he was around like what, 15 years? Dude played hard. Worked hard and gave max effort, not taking any plays off. If he coaches like he played, this is a good hire.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Why wouldn't it be thread worthy?

I liked the way Jeff played. Wasn't the most talented guy on the field, but there's a reason he was around like what, 15 years? Dude played hard. Worked hard and gave max effort, not taking any plays off. If he coaches like he played, this is a good hire.
Eh, I figured most threads these days have to have something to do with bad QB play, bad coaching, Jacoby or Marciano. I normally don't jump on "hater" or "koolaid" bandwagons, so it's gotten a bit boring around here lately.

Jeff played 17 years

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
Glad to see him back! I use to chat with his Mom at some of the OOT games I went to. Fantastic lady, and a mom who never missed ONE game her son played. Can't wait for the chance to reconnect!

8 Teams 17 years 208 games. He played football under Bill Kollar and with Rick Smith.
This guy is a welcome addition to the coaching staff.
He knows what it takes to survive and suceed on and off the field.
I think it is going to be a great addition to the coaching staff.
Anybody with that kind of experience playing in the NFL that long ...he knows what it takes.
He knows how Bill Kollar runs practice and what he expects out his players.
This should work out great.
Welcome Jeff.....

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
8 Teams 17 years 208 games. He played football under Bill Kollar and with Rick Smith.
This guy is a welcome addition to the coaching staff.
He knows what it takes to survive and suceed on and off the field.
I think it is going to be a great addition to the coaching staff.
Anybody with that kind of experience playing in the NFL that long ...he knows what it takes.
He knows how Bill Kollar runs practice and what he expects out his players.
This should work out great.
Welcome Jeff.....
Dang!! why did you have to ruin a good thread by mentioning Rick Smith?! :foottap: J/K maybe!

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Eh, I figured most threads these days have to have something to do with bad QB play, bad coaching, Jacoby or Marciano. I normally don't jump on "hater" or "koolaid" bandwagons, so it's gotten a bit boring around here lately.

Jeff played 17 years
17 years?? Damn Bro'!! That's tenacity, balls and a helluva lotta scrappin', each and every play.....

And YES!! Of course I agree with your point about "most threads these days...haters, koolaid bandwagons", et al. An obvious reason I'm not here nearly as often.

:yawn:

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I'll never forget the game he won (a game we almost choked away) against the Titans. Hairiest knuckles in the pile wins. This guy was a machine and a beast of durability in the NFL. He'll make a GREAT COACH. This guy didn't play here long, but was one of my favorite Texans.. never a star, just a player who scrapped his way out in the NFL for a ungodly unhuman amount of years. You can't do that as a 6th round pick without some secrets/tricks and great work ethic. This guy is a great addition and I bet we'll start seeing success from some of our late round Dlineman we now select.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
I remember him being interviewed at the end of his career.

He basically thought all modern players had it easy.

Talked about the difference between cell phone players and pre-cell phone.

That he came in when there were still pay phones.

Always first guy out to the practice field in the morning. And that Jeff Zgonina rescue hero picture is one of my fave pictures I ever put together for a blog post. (AOL back in the day). His calves were insane. You see him stand next to other dudes and the scale of his calves were nuts.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I remember him being interviewed at the end of his career.

He basically thought all modern players had it easy.

Talked about the difference between cell phone players and pre-cell phone.

That he came in when there were still pay phones.

Always first guy out to the practice field in the morning. And that Jeff Zgonina rescue hero picture is one of my fave pictures I ever put together for a blog post. (AOL back in the day). His calves were insane. You see him stand next to other dudes and the scale of his calves were nuts.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Great hire, dude played well into his late 30's in the trenches and was still pretty productive. You don't play that long without being a sound technician in all phases of the game.

Guy that I think is going to benefit most from this is Crick, whom I thought was a steal last year. Once he gets fully healthy this offseason I really think he's going to be great at the DE rotation with Watt and smith.