Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans have a depth chart posted on their NFL website

Hottoddie

Veteran
I believe every other team has one posted already. I guess it's no big deal, but I'm curious as to what they're waiting on.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
With the exception of a hand full of guys the backups and starters are interchangeable so wouldn’t a depth chart be redundant?

:kitten:
Why do the other 31 teams put them out? Why put up a team website? Why put names on the back of the jerseys?

Why do the Texans always think they're smarter than everyone else, when the opposite is true?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Why do the other 31 teams put them out? Why put up a team website? Why put names on the back of the jerseys?

Why do the Texans always think they're smarter than everyone else, when the opposite is true?
I see we either missed the kitty or for some reason decided to give a serious reply to a joke post.

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
I'm going to guess the following. [starters]:

QB: [Mills], Allen
RB: [Pierce], Burkhead, Ogunbowale, Freeman
FB: [Hairston]
TE: [Brown], Jordan, Howard
WR: [Cook], [Collins], Moore, Dorsett, Johnson, Conley
LT: [Tunsil], Heck
LG: [Green], McCray
C: [Britt], Quessenberry
RG: [Cann]
RT: [Howard], Deculus
DE: [Greenard], [Hughes], Green, Okoronkwo, Addison
DT: [Lopez], [Collins], Hinish, Booker
LB: [Wallow], [Kirksey], [Gruger-Hill], Reeves-Maybin, Cashman, Hansen, Hewitt
CB: [Stingley], [Nelson], King, Thomas, Yiadom
S: [Pitre], [Stewart], Owens, Murray

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
So when I saw this thread I thought the placeholder was just empty, I didn't know there wasn't even the depth chart option or button.

Honestly, since the depth chart has been on every team site I have been on previously I thought it was NFL required.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
So when I saw this thread I thought the placeholder was just empty, I didn't know there wasn't even the depth chart option or button.

Honestly, since the depth chart has been on every team site I have been on previously I thought it was NFL required.
Yeah, when I saw this thread, I went to look at what was there expecting maybe last year's depth chart... but I didn't even see a link for it anywhere.

Reactions: JB

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Note: It's an unofficial depth chart. The only surprise I see is Hewitt starting at LB. Green missed too much time in TC to start, but he will probably get a lot of time and be starting soon
Funny…..Ourlads had Green starting. Their site was updated on 5th. It’s a shame I have to believe theirs more than the Texans.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Note: It's an unofficial depth chart. The only surprise I see is Hewitt starting at LB. Green missed too much time in TC to start, but he will probably get a lot of time and be starting soon
Wow, I was cutting Hewitt. Green is playing Sunday, maybe not starting but will be getting time

Porky

Hall of Fame
That chart is depressing! Especially on offense.

RB is absolute trash after Pierce. And I feel that Pierce is best suited as Robin to someone else's Batman. They will end up ruining or at least harming his career because they don't have another guy. That's a total fail on NC's part.

WR is not very good at all. Metchie would help a bit with that, but they need an outside guy with speed that can take over as the #1, so Cooks can either go inside or be the #2. WR is in the "barely adequate" range.

TE is garbage. Word out of NY is that OJ was slow off the line and not the same guy post multiple injuries. I am crossing my fingers that he can be the guy...but I think it's a bit of a longshot. Nobody else at TE is worth a damn.

QB is a total question mark at this point. I am keeping an open mind, but If I were a betting man, my chips are on the "looking for an upgrade" square vs. the "he's the answer" square.

Oline - This is the best group of the offense...yet it's still a bit of a question mark. Britt has a lot of injury history and is average when healthy. Cann is average but if he goes down, the depth is questionable. Tunsil can't run block, goes down with a hangnail and is softer than Mr. Whipple. The LG is a rookie who will likely struggle in the pass game...although I do think he is a stud run blocker and will help and get better against the pass over time. The RT is a question mark at this point but I hope he can nail down RT.

On D, the line - while there is not a true stud, this is the deepest position group and NC/Lovie/Coaches have done a really good job with this group. A 2023 stud would really take this group to the head of the class. No major complaints with this group.

LB - Harris is an unknown. Once he gets healthy, perhaps he will help, but all I see is JAG's everywhere else. There's not a single playmaker in the group. Neville Hewitt? Good Lord. If that's you're guy, you have trash at the position group. Everyone outside of Harris needs an apple and a roadmap.

Secondary - second best position group on the team. They made huge strides in the offseason - but at the end of the day it's all about Stingley. If he's the guy they are hoping for, this is a good group. One more good CB and one more good S in 2023 would really put this group into elite level....again pending Stingley.

ST - Really good group. I really have no major gripes. The K, P, returners, coverage units...it's all above average to excellent.

Bottom line - based on talent, this is a 4 or 5 win team. The offense is really going to hold them back. The D is at least average....held back by a subpar LB group. If Pierce balls out, and Mills doesn't crap the bed, I could see 6-8 wins. My final call is 6-11.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

RB is absolute trash after Pierce. And I feel that Pierce is best suited as Robin to someone else's Batman. They will end up ruining or at least harming his career because they don't have another guy. That's a total fail on NC's part.

WR is not very good at all. Metchie would help a bit with that, but they need an outside guy with speed that can take over as the #1, so Cooks can either go inside or be the #2. WR is in the "barely adequate" range.

TE is garbage. Word out of NY is that OJ was slow off the line and not the same guy post multiple injuries. I am crossing my fingers that he can be the guy...but I think it's a bit of a longshot. Nobody else at TE is worth a damn.

QB is a total question mark at this point. I am keeping an open mind, but If I were a betting man, my chips are on the "looking for an upgrade" square vs. the "he's the answer" square.

Oline - This is the best group of the offense...yet it's still a bit of a question mark. Britt has a lot of injury history and is average when healthy. Cann is average but if he goes down, the depth is questionable. Tunsil can't run block, goes down with a hangnail and is softer than Mr. Whipple. The LG is a rookie who will likely struggle in the pass game...although I do think he is a stud run blocker and will help and get better against the pass over time. The RT is a question mark at this point but I hope he can nail down RT.

On D, the line - while there is not a true stud, this is the deepest position group and NC/Lovie/Coaches have done a really good job with this group. A 2023 stud would really take this group to the head of the class. No major complaints with this group.

LB - Harris is an unknown. Once he gets healthy, perhaps he will help, but all I see is JAG's everywhere else. There's not a single playmaker in the group. Neville Hewitt? Good Lord. If that's you're guy, you have trash at the position group. Everyone outside of Harris needs an apple and a roadmap.

Secondary - second best position group on the team. They made huge strides in the offseason - but at the end of the day it's all about Stingley. If he's the guy they are hoping for, this is a good group. One more good CB and one more good S in 2023 would really put this group into elite level....again pending Stingley.

ST - Really good group. I really have no major gripes. The K, P, returners, coverage units...it's all above average to excellent.

Bottom line - based on talent, this is a 4 or 5 win team. The offense is really going to hold them back. The D is at least average....held back by a subpar LB group. If Pierce balls out, and Mills doesn't crap the bed, I could see 6-8 wins. My final call is 6-11.
If the ol stays healthy they will be fine.

QB - best rookie in his class last year. He will be fine.

RB- Pierce is a stud. They will get another RB in next yrs draft to help take some of the load off of Pierce. I'm looking forward to seeing what Doaks can do. He was a stud at Cincinnati. Could be a sleeper

WR-Cooks/Collins/Johnson are a solid not great trio. They're middle of the pack in the NFL.

TE- Hopefully Howard proves me wrong and lives up to his draft billing. Otherwise, he's a solid intermediate receiver and an upgrade as a blocker. Jordan is an over sized WR. Brown has to prove me wrong, he's avg at best as a receiver and a holding machine as a blocker.

I worry about the run defense being able to stop the run and this is on both the DL and LB's.

Secondary should be much improved if Stingley can stay healthy. Petrie is a stud and an upgrade over Reid. IMHO

ST's should be very good, hopefully Fairbarin can hold up his end of the bargain.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

We are in the beginning/middle of a rebuild.

I mean, have people been paying attention the last 5 years of draft picks traded away and the draft picks whiffed on? Or the bad contracts given and the salary cap ramifications?

Caserio ain’t a miracle worker.

I am surprised we have the talent we do have on the roster. The key is that they stay healthy.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

So no reason to watch is what you're saying. If you expected anything other than suck this year, that's on you

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We are in the beginning/middle of a rebuild.
Does that make it less depressing? I understand the situation & I don’t think @Porky is blaming Caserio for the situation. It is what it is, & that’s depressing.

a little hope out there for sure. Still, the roster is going to be a major reason the Texans (trying hard not to say we) aren’t going to win 9 games in 2022. Depressing.

Porky

Hall of Fame
If the ol stays healthy they will be fine.

QB - best rookie in his class last year. He will be fine.

RB- Pierce is a stud. They will get another RB in next yrs draft to help take some of the load off of Pierce. I'm looking forward to seeing what Doaks can do. He was a stud at Cincinnati. Could be a sleeper

WR-Cooks/Collins/Johnson are a solid not great trio. They're middle of the pack in the NFL.

TE- Hopefully Howard proves me wrong and lives up to his draft billing. Otherwise, he's a solid intermediate receiver and an upgrade as a blocker. Jordan is an over sized WR. Brown has to prove me wrong, he's avg at best as a receiver and a holding machine as a blocker.

I worry about the run defense being able to stop the run and this is on both the DL and LB's.

Secondary should be much improved if Stingley can stay healthy. Petrie is a stud and an upgrade over Reid. IMHO

ST's should be very good, hopefully Fairbarin can hold up his end of the bargain.
Paging Mac Jones to the QB debate stat! Much of the rest…I can find some common ground with you. Thanks for the debate!

Porky

Hall of Fame
Does that make it less depressing? I understand the situation & I don’t think @Porky is blaming Caserio for the situation. It is what it is, & that’s depressing.

a little hope out there for sure. Still, the roster is going to be a major reason the Texans (trying hard not to say we) aren’t going to win 9 games in 2022. Depressing.
I blame Nick for RB and for giving up way to much to reach for Metchie. Outside of those two items, I think he’s done reasonably well on the personnel side…way better then under the OB regime.

but it’s completely unacceptable to trot out the likes of Rex Burkhead as a legit #2. The whole point of this season is to assess Mills and you give Mills a RB like Burkhead. Come on Nick!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Paging Mac Jones to the QB debate stat! Much of the rest…I can find some common ground with you. Thanks for the debate!
The debate is the fun stuff. I'm just glad you dont take the back and forth seriously.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'm talking about patience.. I'm surprised we have a chance to turn this around as quickly as we can after the wake of (())'Brien. He left us void of picks and talent, the outlook was horribly bleak.
Personally, I'm optimistic about the future of the Texans. I just don't think there's enough gas in the tank to get the Texans very far this year.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Mac Jones slipped as the season progressed. That slippage was with a far superior team overall. Davis Mills improved week to week which culminated in a very nice 5 game stretch to end the season that elevated him to 1B if not 1A. His improvement was on one of the worst teams in the NFL.

I've always been a shoe on the other foot kind of guy.....so I wonder how much further Jones regresses playing for the Texans versus how much more improvement the NFL might have seen out of Mills had he been playing for Patriots.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
I've been around since the Oilers and not very active here but do read lots of posts. I do know that y all know more than me on the now Texans fir shir and good to see some of you again here. I learn a lot and more here about the Texans than anywhere else. Appreciate it and thank you.
That being said this Sunday is the first game vs Colts. All analysts and experts that I have seen and heard are calling the first 4 games a loss because of the tough schedule.
If by chance they surprisingly win this Sunday then all future bets are a moot point.
Onward thru the fog eventually the sun will break thru the skies and time to raise the sails.
One game at a time imho the first 4 games will set the season. If anything I want them to prove all those analysts experts wrong.
Sunday - Play a good game. Let's go Texans!

michaelm

vox nihili

What's the advantage for the Texans putting out the depth chart before the required time?

Teams don't submit injury reports until they have to.
I don't see any disadvantage submitting a depth chart only at the required time.

It might not give them any advantage to wait, but it causes no harm that I can think of

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Mac Jones slipped as the season progressed. That slippage was with a far superior team overall. Davis Mills improved week to week which culminated in a very nice 5 game stretch to end the season that elevated him to 1B if not 1A. His improvement was on one of the worst teams in the NFL.

I've always been a shoe on the other foot kind of guy.....so I wonder how much further Jones regresses playing for the Texans versus how much more improvement the NFL might have seen out of Mills had he been playing for Patriots.
With a career defensive guy calling the plays, it could be a slip off of a cliff. Gonna be interesting to see how the Patriots offense looks after all of the stories of chaos during the preseason.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Depth chart?? They don't even put up an injury report. At least not where it can easily be found. I swear this team with their idiotic secrecy bullshit.