Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Draft I've never been so lost

- Watson was sacked 62 times, we needed to correct that so they got 2 OT's that have played on both sides.

- Ryan Griffin sucks and likes to punch windows so they drafted a freakish TE to replace him.

- Texans lost pieces in the secondary to free agency and needed to replace them. Signed Lonnie Johnson and Xavier Crawford.

I'm actually surprised they went out and got multiple pieces to fix a problem. Normally they draft 1 player and assume that's suffice.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Texans had me lost and baffled the entire draft this year. I spend a extreme amount of time every year researching and studying what the Texans will do every year. I really hope this is our best draft ever but I was left confused.
I used to know all the players into the 6th round. Don't bother anymore. Texans give zero phucks about what we like and do whatever.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
They dont. Draft niks here pick a lot of damn fine players.
They sure do. That doesn't mean the FO is obligated to draft someone this board approves of. What it means, is, perhaps the organization needs better scouts.

powda

They sure do. That doesn't mean the FO is obligated to draft someone this board approves of. What it means, is, perhaps the organization needs better scouts.
If you were a rooting fan during the casserly era you know damn well how often we bombed.

There were 5-6 posters here (including you!) who regularly nailed better picks.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
If you were a rooting fan during the casserly era you know damn well how often we bombed.

There were 5-6 posters here (including you!) who regularly nailed better picks.
Haha, yep, I was there. I am not saying we can't get angry at what we perceive to be boneheaded picks; my only point was that the FO doesn't set out to please fans by drafting their favorite prospects, nor should it.

I by no means believe that we, as fans, should just accept what the FO does. Sure, they are the professionals, but it doesn't make them infallible.

srrono

All Pro
With the combination of free agency and now the draft it's been a tough offseason for me.
OL FA brought in injury prone ineffective OT. Draft went with less known project OTs.
Again I hope I am completely wrong but I am very skeptical of the Oline still.
DB I see what they are trying to do.
FB? Could have been a UDFA signing.
I like the potential of TE drafted but the RBs is in dire need of help.
OG?or C?

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I used to know all the players into the 6th round. Don't bother anymore. Texans give zero phucks about what we like and do whatever.
Maybe I'm just getting old, but after the 2nd round, I was done with the draft. By next year, I will probably be down to just watching the first round. No disrespect, but I've never understood the point of mock drafts and the days/weeks invested when a team drafting an unexpected player can erase those weeks and days of effort within minutes.

In a year or two, I tend to look back at who they drafted or who was available with a certain pick and then I might pile on. At the end of the day, I'm still a know it all fan.
:shades:

Last edited:
With the combination of free agency and now the draft it's been a tough offseason for me.
OL FA brought in injury prone ineffective OT. Draft went with less known project OTs.
Again I hope I am completely wrong but I am very skeptical of the Oline still.

EXACT-LEEEEEEEEEEE

powda

Maybe I'm just getting old, but after the 2nd round, I was done with the draft. By next year, I will probably be down to just watching the first round. No disrespect, but I've never understood the point of mock drafts and the days/weeks invested when a team drafting an unexpected player can erase those weeks and days of effort within minutes.

In a year or two, I tend to look at back at who they drafted or who was available with a certain pick and then I might pile on. At the end of the day, I'm still a know it all fan.
:shades:
We are just fans. Problem is, because a team is who they are lots of us put them on pedastols like their impervious. Teams do dumb sh*t all the time. This franchises history could've been so much better with the picks this board made then the toilet load casserly handed us.

honored82

Waterboy
- Watson was sacked 62 times, we needed to correct that so they got 2 OT's that have played on both sides.

- Ryan Griffin sucks and likes to punch windows so they drafted a freakish TE to replace him.

- Texans lost pieces in the secondary to free agency and needed to replace them. Signed Lonnie Johnson and Xavier Crawford.

I'm actually surprised they went out and got multiple pieces to fix a problem. Normally they draft 1 player and assume that's suffice.
Agree. They have addressed OL, CB, TE using both FA and Draft. Fans have to feel relaxed now. someone will step up and be above average

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This struck me as O'Brien fully taking over the draft. That's why it was so weird and included basic mistakes like reaching for need instead of taking BPA. Every guy was also big. Height/weight/speed. Where was Crennel? It didn't seem like his usual type of pick on the defensive side, though it was only 1 high pick anyway.

Wolf6151

All Pro
JMO it's worth what you paid for it... It seems to me the Texans did fill team needs that even Stevie Wonder could see existed, but when you compare the players taken to the talent that was still left on the board at the time, this draft was a fail. It also seems that both OT's we took are project players who MIGHT be good in 2021, but will Watson still be alive. Hopefully they prove me wrong, I'll gladly eat the crow.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
JMO it's worth what you paid for it... It seems to me the Texans did fill team needs that even Stevie Wonder could see existed, but when you compare the players taken to the talent that was still left on the board at the time, this draft was a fail. It also seems that both OT's we took are project players who MIGHT be good in 2021, but will Watson still be alive. Hopefully they prove me wrong, I'll gladly eat the crow.
After they missed on Dillard, they could have chosen any CB (none had been off the board). Instead they go for Howard who may well have fallen to them in the 2nd and they end up taking the 8th CB off the board. That bugs me.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Well maybe they need to get an account here. Of course they may need a primer on who to put on ignore.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Almost every projection had him as a 2nd round pick, though he did have some buzz
& almost every projection had Dillard as a top 15 pick, Juwan Taylor as a 1st round pick, & Haskins the 2nd best QB.

All these lists are people trying to protect what teams will do. Juwan Taylor's "issue" that none of those people knew about changes the whole board. The way the actual NFL teams saw RBs & WRs & CBs in this draft changes the whole board.

Redo your mocks with only two DBs in the 1st, one WR... see how that changes your projection.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
& almost every projection had Dillard as a top 15 pick, Juwan Taylor as a 1st round pick, & Haskins the 2nd best QB.

All these lists are people trying to protect what teams will do. Juwan Taylor's "issue" that none of those people knew about changes the whole board. The way the actual NFL teams saw RBs & WRs & CBs in this draft changes the whole board.

Redo your mocks with only two DBs in the 1st, one WR... see how that changes your projection.
So then how do you know Howard wouldn't have been there in the second?

Even if he wouldn't have been I would have preferred bpa there

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So then how do you know Howard wouldn't have been there in the second?

Even if he wouldn't have been I would have preferred bpa there
& that's what I'm saying. How do we know that he wasn't their bpa?

We know there was something the whole league didn't like about the CBs in this draft. We know there was something that caused the whole league to look at Juwan Taylor differently than outsiders did. We know 24 teams brought this OT from Alabama State in for a look see & he was one of a very small group of players thought to have the ability to play LT.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The Texans have been one of the slower least athletic teams in the league with Rick Smith as GM. That's the main reason our ST was perennial bottom tier and why we have always had issues beating good teams despite having "stars" on the roster. The roster was always top heavy with talent and athleticism.

2 offseasons with Gaine at the helm and the 53 man roster is taking shape to be much more athletic across the board. I look forward to this team finally being one of the bigger stronger faster teams in the league. Say what you will about the players Gaine takes but one thing you cannot take away from them is that they are all impressive physical specimens. No more tweener type players who were decent in college but lack the measurables to have consistent success in the NFL.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Howard was not under any circumstances falling to either Texans pick in the 2nd round..
I bet would of. I’ve said I like him but watch the game tapes. Not many available but he’s just not really impressive. I love his measurables and was hoping for him later but he wasn’t a first round pick. He’s a project plain and simple. Look at where all the other OL went. Why is it so hard to believe Howard would of fallen? What are you seeing that makes you so sure he goes before 54?

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I see what the Texans have done this off season as a solid plan to improve their weaknesses.

I think its PatDStats podcast where he pointed out that by the time they were done with FA, they could have fielded a team last Sunday had they needed to play. IE, every roster spot was covered.

Not necessarily with an ideal player, but we could field a team.
That meant come draft day they were able to shoot to improve their 2 biggest weaknesses, taking 2 OT's and a CB with their top 3 picks.

Their FA class was stronger at the CB position so it makes sense that they got the best T ledt on their board at their pick. Dont get fruity trying to trade back etc. If theres a chance he gets snagged away.

If that had already happened with Dillard then dont let it happen again.

The strategy makes plenty of sense, whether the specific players picked work out or not, time will tell, but you cant criticise the FO for taking 2 Tackles and a Corner in their first 3 picks.

Grabbing a good TE next off the board is another plus because for all the assumed potential of the Jordan's, they didn't fully supplant Griffen in season and he has been patchy at best his entire career here.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm actually amused by all of this wailing and gnashing of teeth. The Texans obviously had a pretty simple draft strategy that mirrors NEs approach: draft exceptional athletes.
I am very much willing to sit back and see how they develop. My biggest question is who plays LT, Davenport or Howard.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm actually amused by all of this wailing and gnashing of teeth. The Texans obviously had a pretty simple draft strategy that mirrors NEs approach: draft exceptional athletes.
I am very much willing to sit back and see how they develop. My biggest question is who plays LT, Davenport or Howard.
NE drafts bpa

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I see what the Texans have done this off season as a solid plan to improve their weaknesses.

I think its PatDStats podcast where he pointed out that by the time they were done with FA, they could have fielded a team last Sunday had they needed to play. IE, every roster spot was covered.

Not necessarily with an ideal player, but we could field a team.
That meant come draft day they were able to shoot to improve their 2 biggest weaknesses, taking 2 OT's and a CB with their top 3 picks.

Their FA class was stronger at the CB position so it makes sense that they got the best T ledt on their board at their pick. Dont get fruity trying to trade back etc. If theres a chance he gets snagged away.

If that had already happened with Dillard then dont let it happen again.

The strategy makes plenty of sense, whether the specific players picked work out or not, time will tell, but you cant criticise the FO for taking 2 Tackles and a Corner in their first 3 picks.

Grabbing a good TE next off the board is another plus because for all the assumed potential of the Jordan's, they didn't fully supplant Griffen in season and he has been patchy at best his entire career here.
That's interesting, even Pat isn't pretending they went bpa even though that's what they said they were going to do.

I'm not sure being able to field a bad team before the draft is anything

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Texans usually, always, select the guy highest on their board so these picks were a collaborative effort with far more input from Texans scouting department. No way, other than Senior Bowl and Combine participants did OB know some of these prospects beforehand.

The thing that bothers me most, not players selected, Gaine is not engaged with other GM’s to do business. Feels like he is the new kid on the block, and needs to get out more to make himself known and trusted. No blunders just safe and close to the vest.

Of course they couldn’t just stay @ #23 and take BPA they needed OT, Howard would never be there @ #54 cause for one thing someone would select him either with own pick or trade in front of Texans because the need was so glaring. Second reason is LT prospects with starting potential always get pushed up, if not 1st early 2nd so it was kinda no win situation if they wanted to address need so the collectively agreed to make the pick.

With exception of Max Scharping, all these Texans draft prospects share one common thing, upsides with high ceilings & Scharping has a really high floor so he’s going to be in the OL mix somewhere which helps address biggest need.

Quite a contrast to Mike Mayock with John Gruden sitting down to break down tape of National Championship game of Clemson crushing Alabama then drafting Clemson roster :ahhaha:

dgmtexas

Practice Squad
Texans had me lost and baffled the entire draft this year. I spend a extreme amount of time every year researching and studying what the Texans will do every year. I really hope this is our best draft ever but I was left confused.
I believe this is going to turn out to be one of the best drafts we've ever had. Both OL picked are further along than Duane Brown was when we picked him in the 1st round, and I remember the criticism from the draft experts on that selection, and Brown turned out to be a solid tackle after a few years. I think both Howard and Scharping were solid picks. Both young men have high football IQ and solid character, I'm not crazy about Lonnie Johnson Jr., but who knows. I think Kathale Warring will win a starting spot as well. If we walk away with 3 starters for this season, it'd be a great draft

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I believe this is going to turn out to be one of the best drafts we've ever had. Both OL picked are further along than Duane Brown was when we picked him in the 1st round, and I remember the criticism from the draft experts on that selection,
Well the revisionist history game around here is solid.

And let's not forget the destination difference: to a HoF bound OL coach v one who is a void of talent building skills.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
More like puzzled ? I'd like to give Gaine & company a good rating for the Draft but without knowing the details, the inside story on the decisions surrounding the top pick, it's hard to form opinions about their performance ? So without knowing how to grade the top pick, it's hard to rate the whole Draft ?
Going into the Draft the leading priority was widely advertised and known to be to upgrade the protection for Deshawn Watson and the one potential Draft pick in this Draft who could do the most in allaying the concerns about exposing Watson to further injury was widely agreed to be one Andre Dillard.
Reports are that the Texans were given the opportunity to move up in the first round and select and thereby secure Dillard to be their starting LT for only the added cost of a mid-round Draft pick. So I dunno are we left to assume that Gaine was confidant enough about Howard being as effective @ LT this Fall as Dillard would be, or was Gaine just making a calculated risk that he would be for the sake of keeping that third round pick ?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
More like puzzled ? I'd like to give Gaine & company a good rating for the Draft but without knowing the details, the inside story on the decisions surrounding the top pick, it's hard to form opinions about their performance ? So without knowing how to grade the top pick, it's hard to rate the whole Draft ?
Going into the Draft the leading priority was widely advertised and known to be to upgrade the protection for Deshawn Watson and the one potential Draft pick in this Draft who could do the most in allaying the concerns about exposing Watson to further injury was widely agreed to be one Andre Dillard.
Reports are that the Texans were given the opportunity to move up in the first round and select and thereby secure Dillard to be their starting LT for only the added cost of a mid-round Draft pick. So I dunno are we left to assume that Gaine was confidant enough about Howard being as effective @ LT this Fall as Dillard would be, or was Gaine just making a calculated risk that he would be for the sake of keeping that third round pick ?
Say what you will about Rick but at least he managed to trade up when O'Brien wanted him to.

Didn't he trade up one pick for Will Fuller, for example?