Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans draft grades.

RGV82

Random guy
I get what you're saying.

But I'm glad the got a 2021 Cards 4th more than a 2020 4th. They might need that 2021 4th and the 2021 6th they got in this draft to package with their 3rd to move up into the high 2nd and get another Blacklock type player in next yrs draft. If a good safety or RB is available in the 2021 and DJ plays like you think he will RB is going to be a big need.
I think RB is going to be a need in next years draft regardless of how David Johnson plays. UFA in 2022 and do not want him back regardless of how he plays this year. Not making the same mistake Arizona did signing him to a long term deal after 1 good year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think RB is going to be a need in next years draft regardless of how David Johnson plays. UFA in 2022 and do not want him back regardless of how he plays this year. Not making the same mistake Arizona did signing him to a long term deal after 1 good year.
They have DJ for 2 more yrs. This season is the expensive season. Next season is very inexpensive. Still need to draft his replacement with Duke being a FA after the 2021 season.

RGV82

Random guy
They have DJ for 2 more yrs. This season is the expensive season. Next season is very inexpensive. Still need to draft his replacement with Duke being a FA after the 2021 season.
Yup. Exactly my point. Beyond David Johnson's contract I do not want him. Regardless of how he plays. If he is great for the next 2 seasons, I would let him walk, test out free agency, and come back for cheap if he has no takers.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If a good safety or RB is available in the 2021 and DJ plays like you think he will RB is going to be a big need.
Billy Oh may need Hyde's number on speed dial for this season. But, I'm watching some videos of Scottie Philips, and liking what I'm seeing. Burst, vision, hands and, most importantly, a nose for the end zone. Wonder how significant his injuries last year were? Phillips lost the starting job to a 5 star freshman RB after getting hurt.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
They have DJ for 2 more yrs. This season is the expensive season. Next season is very inexpensive.
Johnson's cap hit in 2021 (as a 30 year old RB) would be $9 million. Expensive, not very inexpensive.

The more I think about puting Johnson in this trade, the more pissed I am. The cards would have cut him, and O'Brien could (would) have over paid him. And still saved $10 million. Where is the cap guy that should be telling O'Brien this? Oh yeah, he fired the guy.

RGV82

Random guy
Billy Oh may need Hyde's number on speed dial for this season. But, I'm watching some videos of Scottie Philips, and liking what I'm seeing. Burst, vision, hands and, most importantly, a nose for the end zone. Wonder how significant his injuries last year were? Phillips lost the starting job to a 5 star freshman RB after getting hurt.
He missed 2 games in 2018 due to injury, and was considered "slower" in 2019 after healing. He was injured again in 2019, and his durability is a concern.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Blacklock and Greenard will be part of the starting rotation. Heck and Reid will make the team as depth. I am not certain about the the WR making the roster with all of the WR's we have. Time will tell a better story than us or the fake pundits.
If he doesn't, the Texans can stash him on the PS for a season so he can finish his development and better prepared to compete next season. Not to mention, have a much better understanding of the Texans offense.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Is Heck a bad pick because of your in-depth analysis or the fact you read it on the internet?
When is Heck going to play? Are they gonna try him at guard he’s one of those giants OBrien likes but he’s gonna get destroyed playing high on the interior trenches in the NFL. I think Rod Johnson will always be better than Heck and you had swing tackle covered - to top it off you could have probably picked him in the 6th from what I’ve read.

I liked K’Von Wallace there ... James Lynch. Blacklock and Lynch would have really infused your DLine with talent. Buying all those bargain basement safeties before the draft probably steered them towards OLine .. and if so maybe a guy like Ben Bredeson or Tyler Biadacz - 2 much better players.

Hecks tape doesn’t inspire much confidence more than being a backup and if we’re counting on him something has gone drastically wrong.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
F
Houston Texans: Hard to recall a draft so extensively leveraged to obtain veterans. Newly anointed (but long-acting) GM Bill O'Brien shipped out most of his best picks for players like newly extended Tunsil – he'll cost another first-rounder plus a second in 2021, too – WR Brandin Cooks, CB Gareon Conley and RB Duke Johnson. Tunsil is a nice player, but his price was way too high. The others are eminently replaceable. And to also deal Jadeveon Clowney, basically for a third-rounder, while settling for a second-rounder and RB David Johnson in exchange for a transcendent talent like Hopkins? Brutal. O'Brien's first official selection as GM was TCU DT Ross Blacklock at No. 40, which actually seems like pretty solid value. But in sum, this feels like a staggering net loss.
https://www.usatoday.com/
Ouch! In a dubious note of distinction the USA guys handed out to O'Brien their only F grade of the 2020 Draft.
This is an off-season analysis instead of how the Texans handled the three days of the draft. This is the teacher who does not like you and ignores what you did on a particular assignment. yes, the Texans other moves made it harder to be excellent on draft day, but that does not mean they failed to address needs with guys generally ranked in the range selected and with definable NFL size, speed, skills during the draft.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I get what you're saying.

But I'm glad the got a 2021 Cards 4th more than a 2020 4th. They might need that 2021 4th and the 2021 6th they got in this draft to package with their 3rd to move up into the high 2nd and get another Blacklock type player in next yrs draft. If a good safety or RB is available in the 2021 and DJ plays like you think he will RB is going to be a big need.
without a draft pick until 3rd round in 2021 I completely agree with you that would be a good time to trade up. If the 2020 offseason is as positive as I hope it will be, two 3 rounders next year maybe all we need from that draft with depth being filled udfa.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Nor did we know when we drafted Reader round 5 that he would develop to what he is today.
True. We have the potential to be a better front 7. Draft picks are always potential, until they actually prove themselves on the field. I was merely responding to a poster that was already claiming the front 7 is MUCH better, but yet Blacklock & Greenard have yet to play a down in the NFL.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I think they did pretty well draft wise …. considering what they had to work with and the holes they had , some of them self inflicted (Reader).

I like the players they picked …. glad they injected some talent to all three levels of the defense and even got a value pick at OT later and didn't waste a premium pick on RB's or TE's.

Just wish they had kept Reader which leaves them one less hole to fill …. and picking those other two needs (Edge & CB) earlier.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
without a draft pick until 3rd round in 2021 I completely agree with you that would be a good time to trade up. If the 2020 offseason is as positive as I hope it will be, two 3 rounders next year maybe all we need from that draft with depth being filled udfa.
I totally understand where your coming from.

I
True. We have the potential to be a better front 7. Draft picks are always potential, until they actually prove themselves on the field. I was merely responding to a poster that was already claiming the front 7 is MUCH better, but yet Blacklock & Greenard have yet to play a down in the NFL.
If Blacklock and Watt are the 2 DE's then the defense will be much improved. Blacklock is very much an improvement at the 5 tech. Good thing is you can slide him down inside on pass rushing downs next to Watt and I will guarantee you all of the DVOA geeks will be happy. this doesn't even take into account if Greenard happens to be really good.

I guess this really a testament on who you really think Blacklock is. I think if he can stay healthy he can be a bada$$ 5 tech that can slide inside on passing downs. The Texans biggest weakness was interior pass rush. Hopefully Blacklock stays healthy because his tape says he's going to be able to fix one of the Texans weaknesses. Interior pressure.

The front 7 just got alot better in this draft. Greenard is really good at what he does too.

Last edited:

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I totally understand where your coming from.

I'm more in aligned with if a guy yo

If Blacklock and Watt are the 2 DE's then the defense will be much improved. Blacklock is very much an improvement at the 5 tech. Good thing is you can slide him down inside on pass rushing downs next to Watt and I will guarantee you all of the DVOA geeks will be happy. this doesn't even take into account if Greenard happens to be really good.

I guess this really a testament on who you really think Blacklock is. I think if he can stay healthy he can be a bada$$ 5 tech that can slide inside on downs. The Texans biggest weakness was interior pass rush. Hopefully Blacklock stays healthy because is tape says he's going to be able to fix one of the Texans weaknesses. Interior pressure.

The front 7 just got alot better in this draft. Greenard is reelly good at what he does too.
I'm a little more pessimistic when it comes to rookies. Hey! Maybe I'm more like BOB than I think.

But I'm expecting a DL rotation of Jernigan, Dunn, Blackson & Watt. Blacklock being brought along slowly.

Would be awesome, though, if he busted out like gang busters and took that starting job. We desperately need an interior pass rusher. I'm just setting my expectations realistically.

TBH, I think it's more likely Greenard is a starter before Blacklock, just because I don't think Scarlett is a quality starting LB in this league.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

I don't think they are "Better" up front than last year …. Not losing Reader who was as good as any player in the league at his position last year. Blacklock has a long way to go and a lot to prove …. We'll miss Reader.

Greenard should be an upgrade over Scarlett ….

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'm a little more pessimistic when it comes to rookies. Hey! Maybe I'm more like BOB than I think.

But I'm expecting a DL rotation of Jernigan, Dunn, Blackson & Watt. Blacklock being brought along slowly.

Would be awesome, though, if he busted out like gang busters and took that starting job. We desperately need an interior pass rusher. I'm just setting my expectations realistically.

TBH, I think it's more likely Greenard is a starter before Blacklock, just because I don't think Scarlett is a quality starting LB in this league.
Your post = my thoughts. I am also concerned about 2021 with Watt off roster one way or another in my opinion. If Omenihu can replace JJs 2019 sack productivity I will be okay. JJ Watt needs to have a tremendous year stay healthy 16 games. Dunn and Vanderdoes could go 2021 and Watkins may get cut this year.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
How's Greenard against the run? That's the only reason Martin hasn't already replaced him.
It’s a strength from what I can tell. Much better than most stand up rushers coming out of college.
Didn't watch ANY tape of prospects this year. Think that's a first since this team came into the league. Most years I dig thru a couple hundred or more prospects …. OB has really soured me on this team , my GAF level is lower than ever.

But from what I've read and heard since the draft , its supposed to be a strength.

I think our biggest concern here is his health …. If he's healthy , he'll produce at a high level.

Scarlett is a special teams player and backup plan at best ….

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Didn't watch ANY tape of prospects this year. Think that's a first since this team came into the league. Most years I dig thru a couple hundred or more prospects …. OB has really soured me on this team , my GAF level is lower than ever.

But from what I've read and heard since the draft , its supposed to be a strength.

I think our biggest concern here is his health …. If he's healthy , he'll produce at a high level.

Scarlett is a special teams player and backup plan at best ….
on same with you so haven’t put in the time. Regardless would have swung and missed with every pick. It’s hard to get into the mind of O’Brian to understand his process, mostly what we’ve seen from a coaching standpoint, lack of clock management, handling players personality, both on and off the field, his scheme and use of Watson and now GM duties.

Bizarre events, extending lesser players, trading elite talent for less in return, show outbursts of anger and loss of composure, but maybe the dust is finally settling? Hope so for everyone concerned.

Didn’t give a grade earlier in recap, listed concerns and expressed optimism but reality is Texans have shorted themselves two immediate impact players this year and next to secure a LT. I fear expectations will be unrealistic for this rookie class, they will all have to meet or exceed to give them a B grade. Think that’s the best we can hope for, let it play out and in two years it will either be OB or no OB!

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
on same with you so haven’t put in the time. Regardless would have swung and missed with every pick. It’s hard to get into the mind of O’Brian to understand his process, mostly what we’ve seen from a coaching standpoint, lack of clock management, handling players personality, both on and off the field, his scheme and use of Watson and now GM duties.

Bizarre events, extending lesser players, trading elite talent for less in return, show outbursts of anger and loss of composure, but maybe the dust is finally settling? Hope so for everyone concerned.

Didn’t give a grade earlier in recap, listed concerns and expressed optimism but reality is Texans have shorted themselves two immediate impact players this year and next to secure a LT. I fear expectations will be unrealistic for this rookie class, they will all have to meet or exceed to give them a B grade. Think that’s the best we can hope for, let it play out and in two years it will either be OB or no OB!
The reality is they shorted themselves 6 impact players.

Clowney
Reader
DHop

and three draft picks.

beerlover

Hall of Fame

Clowney
Reader
DHop

and three draft picks.
I was considering Tunsil worth two draft picks and David Johnson another. Not counting Clowney or Reader. But yeah you wouldn’t be wrong to count up even more picks than that to compensate for the losses. :specnatz:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

[/QUO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think Blacklock has a special 1st step and if Greenard turns out to be Brooks Reed the defense will be better.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Quoted for truth

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes you did,

If healthy

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club

Clowney
Reader
DHop

and three draft picks.
Clowney and Hopkins wanted 40 million between the two of them. Reader wanted 15. So 55 million in cap space between the 3. We'd have to get rid of Tunsil and Watson to pay them, and suffer through the hell that is shitty QBs.
Are you actively trying to kill Uncle Rico and kdog? Both their hearts would explode alien style.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Clowney and Hopkins wanted 40 million between the two of them. Reader wanted 15. So 55 million in cap space between the 3. We'd have to get rid of Tunsil and Watson to pay them, and suffer through the hell that is shitty QBs.
Are you actively trying to kill Uncle Rico and kdog? Both their hearts would explode alien style.

DHop was under contract …. thru 2022 at 12.5 , 13.5 and 13.9m and that contract hasn't been reworked , Nor does Arizona have the cap space to do so.
The Texans took on $3m in dead money and a $10m+ underperforming RB on that deal. That trade was NOT about money.

They could have kept DHop regardless of any other moves.

Reader …. they could have scrounged up the money to pay him , in part by not making the stupid Hopkins trade and the subsequent Cooks trade which took on another $8m.

$3m in dead money , $8m for Cooks and 10m for Johnson ….

That trade was abysmal talent wise , asset wise and financially.

Then they'd still have the $$$ to pay Tunsil and Watson.

Last edited:

RGV82

Random guy
Representing members of defensive front 7s, Dion Jordan and Vernon Gholston approve of this statement.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Clowney
Reader
DHop

and three draft picks.
Tunsil is one of those draft picks,

Conley is another

Let's see how Bkacklock turns out

I get this and dont think Blacklock is an every down guy, but if you're playing nickle defense (Which is about 60% of the time then Blacklock should be on the field because he can provide interior pressure.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
A case can be made that Blacklock would have been value at 1.26, where the Texans spot was in the 1st round. So, one could say the Texans received a 1st for Hopkins (not suggesting Blacklock is as good as Hopkins). Greenard is a solid 3rd rounder.

The question for me is what could have happened at pick 2.57, dealt to the Rams for Cooks? Van Jefferson or Denzel Mims could have been selected at that point in the draft. Will Cooks, at his inflated salary, out perform Jefferson and Mims, at their rookie deals? That will the difference between an "A" draft, or a missed opportunity.
The Texans don't have a great history of making good WR picks past round 1. Just sayin...

RGV82

Random guy
It should've been the last one.
He should be a lot more concerned than he appears to be.... this shows his lack of concern:

After Brandin Cooks' latest concussion, the question hovered in the L.A. smog: Would the latest head injury bring an abrupt end to the receiver's career?
For his part, the 26-year-old said he never considered retirement.
"Absolutely not," Cooks said. "When it happened, that never went through my mind. Even now, it's not going through my mind."
Cooks has now suffered five known concussions in his six-year career. After his latest head injury, the wideout twice traveled to Pittsburgh to meet with Dr. Michael Collins, the director of the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program. After those meetings, Cooks said he grew comfortable returning to the field.
"One of the biggest things that I learned, concussions is a case-by-case thing," Cooks said. "Mine was very unique, and just thankful once again to be able to go and get answers."
"It's one of those things that I'm taking game by game. But, no, I don't think you should be concerned, because I'm not," he said.
-NFL.com

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm ecstatic with this draft. OB appears to have picked some solid players with potential. Now the whole world gets to see if OB and his coaching staff are capable of coaching these guys up and/or adapting the schemes to maximize their potential. Six years of evidence says that's not a likely outcome.

RGV82

Random guy
I'm ecstatic with this draft. OB appears to have picked some solid players with potential. Now the whole world gets to see if OB and his coaching staff are capable of coaching these guys up and/or adapting the schemes to maximize their potential. Six years of evidence says that's not a likely outcome.
Being the GM has bought BOB more time. If BOB was just the coach, and we have a horrible season this year, he would be gone, now as GM, he will be around for at least a couple more years, regardless of how we do.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Being the GM has bought BOB more time. If BOB was just the coach, and we have a horrible season this year, he would be gone, now as GM, he will be around for at least a couple more years, regardless of how we do.
One can hope.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Front 7 MUCH better? We lost Reader, but gained Jernigan, Blacklock & Greenard. We got deeper, but I don't know about better.
Deeper can be better and I think it is in this situation. It helps to have multiple D lineman to rotate and use throughout a game. We missed that the last few years, part of why we signed Dunn and Blackson to $3-4M per multi year deals. Greenard has a lot of opportunity to play given the lack of depth at OLB.

I think Watt is actually the restriction here on the DL. He’s so expensive, I don’t think they wanted to pay Reader and have to still invest assets to upgrade the group.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
It ‘s all good can’t change horses in midstream and cross to the other side.
Maybe not the next Arian Foster but...

RGV82

Random guy
It ‘s all good can’t change horses in midstream and cross to the other side.

Maybe not the next Arian Foster but...
I love this Scottie Phillips. He has potential to be a diamond in the rough, but the huge flag on him is durability. He is coming off 2 straight years of injuries in college. 2018 he missed 2 games due to injury, was deemed "noticeably slower" coming back in 2019, then against went down due to injury and lost his spot. As much as I love the guy’s potential, it always scares me, especially a running back, who has a history of college injuries.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
I love this Scottie Phillips. He has potential to be a diamond in the rough, but the huge flag on him is durability. He is coming off 2 straight years of injuries in college. 2018 he missed 2 games due to injury, was deemed "noticeably slower" coming back in 2019, then against went down due to injury and lost his spot. As much as I love the guy’s potential, it always scares me, especially a running back, who has a history of college injuries.
Yes I agree with that but at the same time witnessing some great veteran running backs getting the injured bug too. Hey he's a low cost UFA that should take off some of the scariness. I do not know him as in college but was he a full time runner because as a Texan I'm sure he would not be used that way?