Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Combine News Meetings Thread

Does anyone know when they will finally arrive at the decision on the official list of compensatory picks ?

They were announced on 2/22 last year, so I would expect them during the combine. Unless there are some CBA implications, then after the vote by the NFLPA.

Yeah, that's what I arrived at ... but isn't the owner's meeting wrapped or at least wrapping up ?

They were announced on 2/22 last year, so I would expect them during the combine. Unless there are some CBA implications, then after the vote by the NFLPA.
Changes To NFL’s Comp Pick Formula
February 20th, 2020 at 4:37pm CST by Zach Links

Earlier this week, the Eagles informed Nigel Bradham that they would not exercise his 2020 option. The next day, they released him outright.

The Eagles changed their plans due to a recent change in the compensatory pick formula, Mike Garafolo of NFL.com (on Twitter) hears. Under the previous system, a player with a declined team option would count as a compensatory free agent for the club. This change, first reported by Over The Cap’s Brad Spielberger (via Twitter), was only just relayed to the Eagles this week.

The Broncos benefitted from the option trick in 2017, when they declined his team option and scored a third-round comp pick in 2018. It’s a seemingly minor revision to the rule, but it could nudge teams towards keeping players or, as was the case with the Eagles and Bradham, allowing those players to reach free agency before the start of the league year.

According to Mark Lane, the Texans Wire, the Houston Texans met with Baylor running back Jamycal Hasty at the NFL Combine. The Texans and Hasty had an informal meeting on Wednesday. The Texans also met with Maryland running back Anthony McFarland.

According to Mark Lane, the Texans Wire, the Houston Texans met with Baylor running back Jamycal Hasty at the NFL Combine. The Texans and Hasty had an informal meeting on Wednesday. The Texans also met with Maryland running back Anthony McFarland.

McFarland would be a great 5th rd pick.

He reminds me alot of Sproles. He's basically Edwards Helaire without the hype. I also like the other RB from Maryland in the 7th. That dudes a stud but had to sit behind McFarland. I just looked him up, (Javon Leake) Thanks RGV82.

Anybody know where we can find the combine numbers? I cant stand Walter's site. When I go there I hope my computer doesn't get a virus.

Last edited:
McFarland would be a great 5th rd pick.

He reminds me alot of Sproles. He's basically Edwards Helaire without the hype. I also like the other RB from Maryland in the 7th. That dudes a stud but had to sit behind McFarland.

Anybody know where we can find the combine numbers?

#Texans Meet With Florida’s La’mical Perine at the NFL Combine https://t.co/YF6S90tYcw via @SOTTexans
— State of the Texans (@SOTTexans) February 27, 2020

Boston College’s A.J. Dillon Meets With the #Texans at the NFL Combine https://t.co/ZR1zLOVA7U via @SOTTexans

Louisiana-Lafayette’s Raymond Calais Meets with the #Texans at the NFL Combine https://t.co/dVjVWhZ1gm via @SOTTexans

#Texans Meet With TCU’s Darius "Jet" Anderson at the NFL Combine https://t.co/IoFb6ipUpI via @SOTTexans

Washington’s Salvon Ahmed Meets with the #Texans at the NFL Combine https://t.co/I05j3ObsDe via @SOTTexans

Baylor's Jamycal Hasty Meets With the #Texans at the NFL Combine https://t.co/6X9F6ozVb0 via @SOTTexans
— patrick (@PatDStat) February 27, 2020

Looks like the Texans are going to use their high picks on defense and later rd picks on WR's/RB's.

Thanks for the info ZShawn.

Looks like the Texans are going to use their high picks on defense and later rd picks on WR's/RB's.

Thanks for the info ZShawn.
That would make sense but often times they draft guys they seemingly had no interest in, at least it appeared to the public. I don’t recall Max Scharping meeting with the Texans last year as an example.

That would make sense but often times they draft guys they seemingly had no interest in, at least it appeared to the public. I don’t recall Max Scharping meeting with the Texans last year as an example.

Who they visit with at the Sr. Bowl was a good path for who they were looking to draft. With BOB in charge who knows how he will be evaluating talent or if meetings/visits mean anything.

Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
Projected Round (2019): 1-2.
2/8/20: Arnette totaled 35 tackles with eight passes broken up, an interception and a forced fumble in 2019. He has a good skill set and put it all together with a vastly improved senior year. Scouts say Arnette is instinctive, tough and versatile. They like how he can play inside at nickel or line up outside with the ability to play man or zone.

Arnette is very physical and has a feisty style of play that comes out with him being super competitive. He challenges every throw and never makes it easy on receivers to get a reception. On top of having cover skills to stay with receivers, he is a very good tackler who doesn't hesitate to hit.

Arnette has the physical skills, instincts and talent to be a top-20 pick, but team sources think there is a wide range of where he could get drafted, which stems from Arnette has significant off-the-field concerns. Multiple team sources said they have him graded in the second or late second/early third round because of character issues. They feel his mental makeup could be a problem. Other team sources say they've heard Arnette has improved in the character department, so they think he could get first-round consideration. Thus, Arnette has a wide range of where he could go from late in the first round to the third round. However for the NFL, Arnette has the ability to be a No. 1 cornerback and Pro Bowler if he focuses on football and works hard to be the best he can be.

Jon Greenard, 3-4OLB, Florida
Height: 6-3. Weight: 263. Arm: 34.5. Hand: 9.
Projected 40 Time: 4.76.
Projected Round (2020): 1-3.
2/15/20: Some team sources believe Greenard could go late in the first round even though his talent is more fitting for Day 2. He had a solid Senior Bowl, plus the 2020 NFL Draft is lacks for edge rushers while plenty of teams need pass-rushing help.

Greenard is a quick and twitchy edge rusher who is very smart with how he sets up offensive tackles. He has a nice repertoire of moves and some natural pass-rush ability. In 2019, Greenard totaled 9.5 sacks with 50 tackles, three forced fumbles, one interception and four passes batted. He put consistent pressure on the quarterback for the most part, with the exception being the Georgia game when Andrew Thomas and the Bulldogs' offensive line held Greenard in check. Greenard also missed some time with injuries, and his medical evaluation could hurt his draft grade.

Greenard is a transfer from Louisville who missed the 2018 season with an injury. In 2017, he had seven sacks with 48 tackles and a pass broken up.

Kenny Willekes, 3-4OLB, Michigan State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 252. Arm: 31.25 Hand: 9.75.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
Projected Round (2020): 3-4.
2/15/20: In 2019, Willekes recorded 78 tackles, 10.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, and a fumble returned for a touchdown. He is a solid edge rusher with a good motor, but he did not impress at the Senior Bowl.

6/29/19: Willekes went under the radar prior to a breakout 2018 season in which he totaled 78 tackles with 20.5 for a loss, 8.5 sacks, one pass batted and one forced fumble. As a sophomore, Willekes recorded 73 tackles with seven sacks.

Willekes looks like more of a 3-4 outside linebacker candidate for the NFL. He is listed at 6-foot-4, 260 pounds, but looks smaller than that. Coming off the edge, Willekes has some quickness with active hands and the ability to use his hands and feet at the same time. It would help him to get stronger for the NFL.

Cameron Dantzler*, CB, Mississippi State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.51.
Projected Round (2020): 1-2.
2/8/20: In 2019, Dantzler recorded 40 tackles with two interceptions, eight passes broken up, one forced fumble and a fumble recovery. He is a solid corner who is big and physical, but his speed and athleticism make him more of a late first-round and early second-round pick rather than a top-half-of-the-first-round type of prospect.

6/22/19: Team sources have said that Dantzler was a player who jumped out at them in 2018 despite them not watching him closely because he was yet to be draft eligible. The sophomore totaled 43 tackles with nine passes broken up and two interceptions for 2018. Dantzler has good size, and the questions will be how well he runs and if he is fluid enough to maintain coverage and prevent separation.

Just looking at who the Texans have met with so far, it looks like they want to draft Edges and offensive players and fix the secondary in FA.

Give me y'alls thoughts about these FA CB's

1. Byron Jones
2. Kendall Fuller
5. Prince Amukamara
4. Chris Harris
5. Josh Norman
6. Janoris Jenkins

Just looking at who the Texans have met with so far, it looks like they want to draft Edges and offensive players and fix the secondary in FA.

1. Byron Jones
2. Kendall Fuller
5. Prince Amukamara
4. Chris Harris
5. Josh Norman
6. Janoris Jenkins

the only guys I’m remotely interested in are Byron Jones and Chris Harris. All the rest can kick rocks.

I am hoping that the Texans will use free agency to address their defensive issues and the draft to continue to add to the offense. With JJ being 30 and Mercilus about the same I would rather add players that will be impactful next season to our defense and use many of our picks to augment the offense (where are best players are 27 and younger). I would like the Texans to re-sign Reader and then sign Byron Jones (or AJ Bouye) and Shaq Lawson (or Carl Nassib). Secondary would need some depth pieces (probably a nickel - Javelin Guidry or Levonte Taylor?) as would the front (I like Darrell Taylor who might drop given his inability to work out at the combine).

TLDR: Bring back DJ and sign Byron Jones and Shaq Lawson. Draft offense (Denzel Mims/Devin DuVernay/RG or RT/RB).

Shaq Lawson has already come out and said he will give the bills a discount to stay I believe...

Do you have a link for that? I couldn't find that anywhere. I would be somewhat surprised given that they declined his 5th year option that he would be willing to do that prior to assessing his market but I guess if he really likes it up there... Anyway, the reason that I like both Lawson and Nassib as possible FA replacements for Brennan Scarlett is their ability o play OLB on rushing downs with Reader at DE and then on passing downs Lawson/Nassib can move down to DE, Reader to NT and either Jake Martin or, in my scenario, Darrell Taylor can get on the field as pass rushers.

As for the secondary, I really like Gareon Conley and would be comfy with him as CB 2 with Jones taking the opposing team's WR1. Lonnie Johnson, Phillip Gaines (who Id also re-sign) and a draft pick or 2 would be CB depth with Reid, Gipson and a re-signed Addae at S.

1. Byron Jones
2. Kendall Fuller
5. Prince Amukamara
4. Chris Harris
5. Josh Norman
6. Janoris Jenkins
1st, where's Roby? 2nd, not interested in old CBs to long term deals. 3rd, not interested in paying #1 CB $$$ to a #2 or #3 CB (Fuller and Jenkins). Finally, I would pay for Jones, but would that preclude going after a FA pass rusher? Pass rush first priority, in my mind.

#Florida CB C.J. Henderson says he had a formal meeting with the #Texans.

— Mark Lane (@therealmarklane) February 28, 2020

#Tulane DB Bopete Keyes had an informal meeting with the #Texans.

#Texas DB Brandon Jones says he has met informally with the #Texans.

#Alabama DB Shyheim Carter says he has met informally with the #Texans.

La. Tech Amik Robertson Meets with the #Texans at the NFL Combine https://t.co/FEDaBz8Luw via @SOTTexans

— State of the Texans (@SOTTexans) February 28, 2020

#Michigan DB Josh Metellus says he met informally with the #Texans.

I’m told Appalachian State RB and @footballCudas grad Darrynton Evans met formally with the Vikings, Rams and Colts at the #NFLCombine. He’s also spoken to the 49ers, Raiders, Ravens and Texans.

— Chris Boyle (@ChrisBoyleDBNJ) February 28, 2020

That second group of meetings reported is much more useful than the first. Including the players position is gold for someone who couldn’t name more than a handful of college footballers.

1st, where's Roby? 2nd, not interested in old CBs to long term deals. 3rd, not interested in paying #1 CB $$$ to a #2 or #3 CB (Fuller and Jenkins). Finally, I would pay for Jones, but would that preclude going after a FA pass rusher? Pass rush first priority, in my mind.

I would pay Jones/ Fuller and to a lesser extent Harris

Texans Combine Notebook: running back and cornerback on the to-do list

Patrick D. Starr

Feb 29, 2020

The NFL Combine is not only the central location for NFL teams to take a closer look at prospects but also take time to meet with other teams, agents, and find out information on anything heading into 2020 season.

The Houston Texans like all the teams in the NFL are attempting not only to find their next players for their team but trying to talk to as many prospects as they can to gain information.

Here are some notes from the Texans at the NFL Combine through the week.

State of the Texans Notebook
Nickel Cornerback a Focus for the Texans

The Texans are focused on the nickel cornerback market after releasing Vernon Hargreaves, III. The Texans like Hargreaves but did not love him nearly $10 million price tag for the upcoming season. If the Texans are going to pay that type of money in free agency they will look to spend it on Chris Harris Jr. a player that Bill O’Brien has coveted for a while. Also, the Kansas City Chiefs Kendall Fuller and Hargreaves remain on the radar if plans go awry when free agency arrives.

Also, the Texans like what Louisiana Tech’s Amik Robertson brings as a prospect. The ability to play on the outside, there are thoughts that he can transition to the nickel when needed. Sources point to Robertson’s complete makeup as a player that has the Texans' attention from coverage, play-making ability and not afraid to make tackles.

The Texans feel confident about being able to add an outside cornerback at some point, draft or free agency, but the nickel position is a vital one for them to address.

The CBA Wait for Contracts
Texans waiting in the weeds for the CBA to be sorted out so they can see how the new salary cap will impact their potential cap space. At the same time, they are putting their ducks in a row and making sure they are having discussions with players they want to return in the process.

It is a no brainer that both Deshaun Watson and Laremy Tunsil will return to the Texans. Not a matter if but of when they sign both Watson and Tunsil to new deals to keep then with the organization for the long term. Tunsil’s representatives and the Texans met at the Combine to have talks on a potential deal for the Pro Bowl left tackle. Tunsil’s side is seeking up to 19+ million a year which is not a shock due to being one of the best-left tackles in the game.

‘Jack’ Linebacker on the Shopping List
The Texans' defense is built from a base 3-4 but at the same time can morph into 4-3 fronts on the fly depending on the offensive formation. Also, when the Texans go nickel and dime schemes on defense, the Texans need a player that can be able to put their hand in the dirt and rush the passer.

The defense is looking to upgrade Brennan Scarlett’s spot on the edge opposite of Whitney Mercilus and finding a player that can both rush the passer, set the edge and be able to cover when needed is on their list.

The most important factor of the list is being able to rush the passer with the team lacking in that department last season.

Dual Threat Running Backs Plus One
As the Texans enter the off-season, they have an open-ended question they have to figure out. How will they adjust their running back position for 2020? Duke Johnson is the only constant for the upcoming season while the rest remains unsettled.

Both Carlos Hyde and Lamar Miller are set to become free agents but their cost could be prohibitive for their long-term vision of the team. Add in the wear and tear for the position, there is plenty to like about this season’s draft class.

The Texans have been working hard to talk and interview dual-threat backs that can help in both the running and passing game. The Texans want all of their skill players to be threats in the passing game to have the defense accounting for every blade of grass.

Of course, there is an exception to every rule. That is where Boston College running back A.J. Dillion comes in. The Texans like what Dillion brings to the table as a 6-foot-3 and nearly 250 lbs. running back. He does not have the best pass-catching skill but his downhill and explosive running style intrigue the offensive staff and scouts. Teaming him with Johnson has their attention and after a strong combine, performance running a 4.53 40-yard dash, 41.0-inch vertical jump, and 131.0-inch broad jump.

The Need for Speed as an Insurance Plan
The Texans understand they need to have a plan in place for the Will Fuller injury situation that has plagued him since joining the league. The Texans are sifting through plenty of options since the start of the draft cycle on players that fit this bill.

The team is not picky, they are looking at both inside and outside options that can push defenses vertical just as Fuller does

Ohio State RB J.K. Dobbins on radar of Texans, who have maintained steady interest throughout draft process: https://t.co/orfoP5TqKx
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) March 13, 2020

The Texans have displayed steady interest in Ohio State running back J.K. Dobbins throughout the draft process, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly. The Texans were expected to meet again with the La Grange native at some point before the draft either on campus or at NRG Stadium, but that could be complicated by the coronavirus pandemic that is affecting travel by NFL teams. Dobbins is visiting the Dolphins on Friday, according to a source, and has been regularly training in South Florida. The Texans could use a new running back, especially if veteran Carlos Hyde leaves as a free agent. Hyde declined a two-year contract offer worth roughly $10 million per year, according to sources, and is now heading to free agency, as is Lamar Miller while he recovers from a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered during the preseason.

Dobbins is a versatile runner who would be a strong fit in the Texans’ offense. At 5-9, 209 pounds, Dobbins is elusive and powerful. He was a second-team All-Big Ten Conference selection as a freshman, rushing for 1,412 yards and seven touchdowns and as a sophomore when he ran for 1,053 yards and 10 touchdowns. As a junior, he was a second-team All-American and the Big Ten Conference Running Back of the Year. Dobbins rushed for 2,003 yards and 21 touchdowns and caught 23 passes for 247 yards and two scores. He bench-pressed 225 pounds 23 times at the NFL scouting combine, opting out of drills due to a lingering ankle injury. Dobbins was durable, never missing a game in college.

uhm...think 10 million per is fake news...10 million over 2 years is honestly overpay...10 million per put Hyde in the top 4-5 in the league even 10 over 2 years place Hyde as a top 12 Rb in the league.

30-year old, 4 teams in one calendar year, one 1,000 yard season should have broken his finger at 10 million over 2 years, and signed in blood for 10 million per.

Texans can havehim on their radar all they want.....Dobbins wont make it to 57 and it'd be a bad move to try and trade up to select him. Dillion and Moss will both be there in RD2 and/or RD3 and both in my opinion could be just as productive with the weapons the Texans have on offense......provided the OL is addressed properly.

uhm...think 10 million per is fake news...10 million over 2 years is honestly overpay...10 million per put Hyde in the top 4-5 in the league even 10 over 2 years place Hyde as a top 12 Rb in the league.

30-year old, 4 teams in one calendar year, one 1,000 yard season should have broken his finger at 10 million over 2 years, and signed in blood for 10 million per.
We’re talking about GM BOB Here so.......

The Houston Texans have met with Iowa offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs on a video interview amid the COVID-19 pandemic. NFL teams are allowed to continue to meet with prospects via video conference in accordance with NFL rules. The Texans can schedule no more than three telephone or video-conference calls with draft-eligible players per week and the calls can not last longer than an hour.
Does anyone else find it strange that the Texans would spend one of their 3 weekly video interviews on a LT prospect projected to go in the top 15 picks when they draft @ #40? Have discussions soured with Tunsil to the point where O'Brien move up to take a top LT prospect? Using Tunsil as part of the trade bait?

Wirfs is interesting. wonder if they know something about him that may make him fall. I don’t see a path to the top 15. Wonder what their thinking.

Does anyone else find it strange that the Texans would spend one of their 3 weekly video interviews on a LT prospect projected to go in the top 15 picks when they draft @ #40? Have discussions soured with Tunsil to the point where O'Brien move up to take a top LT prospect? Using Tunsil as part of the trade bait?
I just thought the same thing. WTH? It doesn’t make sense. If he fell to 15 what would we have to give up to move that far up? It would take almost all our picks. What player do we have that we could even add to pick 40 would get us their?

there’s only two players on this roster that get us in his range. Neither are signed yet.

so either A, BOB is thinking about dealing one of them or B, they have some inside information that they believe will cause him to fall or C BOB is completely in over his head and doesn’t know what the fk he’s doing.

I think you Know what my guess is.

Last edited:
I just thought the same thing. WTH? It doesn’t make sense. If he fell to 15 what would we have to give up to move that far up? It would take almost all our picks. What player do we have that we could even add to pick 40 would get us their?

there’s only two players on this roster that get us in his range. Neither are signed yet.

so either A, BOB is thinking about dealing one of them or B, they have some inside information that they believe will cause him to fall or C BOB is completely in over his head and doesn’t know what the fk he’s doing.

I think you Know what my guess is.

Honestly would not surprise me if BOB let's Tunsil walk, gives up what's left of the farm to move up for this guy, all after spending a 1st and 2nd last year on tackles. That's how much faith I have in BOB's knowledge and ability.

Back