Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Close the Deal for Schaub: confirmed by NFLNetwork

NEW REGIME! Rick and Gary will turn this thing around and make the RIGHT decisions. It's not Gary's fault...he was STUCK with David Carr and the team of misfits from last season. He'll get his players in here and make everything right.
No kidding it's a NEW REGIME. Ya don't hafta shout, I'm right here... And Kubes ws NOT stuck with Carr, HE WANTED Carr and thought he could fix him. I appluad his willingness to admit he can't fix him, but he asked for Carr's option to be picked up. I'm not upset about getting Schaub OR trading Carr. I'm just not real happy with the price yet and I DON'T like the fact that this NEW REGIME FO is handling this a lot like the FORMER REGIME handled Sharper and Glenn-letting it be known they would be available for nothing. I'm not sold on Schaub, but I'm going to root for him, because what's done is done. Anyway, enough of that rant. I'm gearing up for the draft and looking forward to next year. Kubes has his rookie season under his belt, now I want him to show his stuff.

No kidding it's a NEW REGIME. Ya don't hafta shout, I'm right here... And Kubes ws NOT stuck with Carr, HE WANTED Carr and thought he could fix him. I appluad his willingness to admit he can't fix him, but he asked for Carr's option to be picked up. I'm not upset about getting Schaub OR trading Carr. I'm just not real happy with the price yet and I DON'T like the fact that this NEW REGIME FO is handling this a lot like the FORMER REGIME handled Sharper and Glenn-letting it be known they would be available for nothing. I'm not sold on Schaub, but I'm going to root for him, because what's done is done. Anyway, enough of that rant. I'm gearing up for the draft and looking forward to next year. Kubes has his rookie season under his belt, now I want him to show his stuff.

Point well taken and I agree with you. Kubiak DIDN'T want Carr. Here's the story:

Dan Reeves is hired as a consultant
Dan Reeves endorses Kubiak as new HC to Bob McNair
Dan Reeves thinks Texans can win with DC as QB
Kubiak is hired as HC
Kubiak doesn't want to go against the recommendations of the guy that recommended him for the job
Kubiak feels pressure to re-sign DC
Kubiak.....well...he re-signs DC

Not at all Kubiak's decision on David Carr.

For a virtually unproven career backup QB? Comparing it to another expensive deal that was in hindsight successful and yet is totally unrelated doesn't make it any less of a reach. However that's my opinion and since we have virtually no facts of this guy's ability to debate, I think we'd do well to leave it at that and see how he plays once he straps on a Texans uniform.

but every player in the draft is a virtually unproven player(QB or otherwise). Chad Jackson, Rocky McIntosh, Jimmy Williams.... We've got a "starting" QB instead of one of these guys who went early in last years second round.

Sure, we might land a Demeco, or a Thomas Howard, Roman Harper, or Marcus McNeil... we don't know, we have virtually no facts of these guys(in the upcoming draft) abilities to play.

Schaub has impressed the "entire" league, with his play in the preseason(playing above the level of the twos & threes) & when he's had a chance to play in the regular season.

Now THAT is a well thought out response and one I tend to agree with. I DO believe he needs to be better than merely "not bad", though, because a #7(39 overall) 2nd round pick in this years draft is a pretty dang good pick. There will be some rock solid players there. I would be happy as a pig in slop if it had been just 1 2nd rounder and a deal for DC had been complete(or close to it) before making the announcement.

But you're forgetting that we got what we hope to be a very good player for that #2. It's not Kalil, or Houston, it's a QB that was highly rated coming out of college, It's like Getting a Brady Quinn that's sat on the bench for three years.

Next years #2 makes this hard to tell if we did well or not. We don't know where we'll be drafting, and we don't have a clue who might be available where ever we might pick.

It's just like the draft ... it takes a couple of years before you know .

If Schaub throws for 25 tds , 13 ints , 3600 yds and we go 9-7 ... it's a damn good deal .

the one thing i remember about schaub when he was coming out in the draft back in 04 was that he was very unfortunate to be in the same draft as eli, rivers, and big ben

i know people had JP losman ranked higher than schaub and he was drafted higher but i remember a couple of draft guys on espn saying that they thought schaub was the most nfl ready guy when you compared him to rivers and losman

i think what we are going to see is that in the 2004 draft we had a ton of talent at the QB position just like in 84...looking at schaub now this is what i see:

a classic pocket passer with some mobility to move around in the pocket and move out of the pocket if needed...a big guy with a decent arm...not great...i would put his arm strength up there with matt leinart who i actually would compare schaub to a lot...a guy who leads well...maybe can't make all the throws but with his touch on the ball will get the job done...schaub's best case scenario in potential is probably what chad pennington is when he's at his best...worst case scenario is AJ feely

call me crazy but i'm leaning more towards him playing like pennington when healthy

About Matt Schaub was him saying the first thing he did as a Houston Texan was gather up all the phone numbers to every player on the team, and make it a goal to call each and every one of them and really get to know them.

wow. finally a leader behind center. I'm really excited for this guy...he really seems like a guy with a lot of character (like Carr) but with more talent, more brains, more polish and best of all, true leadership qualities. He stated that its his responsible to lead not only the offense, but the defense and special teams. When was the last time you heard Carr speak of this? Hell, when was the first time?

Vince Young was able to win only because of his ability to carry a team on his back and make everyone around him better. Matt Schaub, I think will show everyone that he too can possess that special intangible but I think he takes it one step further. He's smarter.

PREDICTION: Move over Peyton Manning and watch out Vince Young. There's a new sheriff on the horizon in the AFC. We will have the best defense in our division next year. We will not be better than the Colts offensively, but we will be better than the Titans and Jaquars. 2007 is the year we don't finish dead last in our division and we break that .500. We have another 1000 rusher on the team again. AJ will have the best year of all Wide Outs and will finish with more than 1450. Going to the probowl as a Texan will be Demeco Ryans, and Andre Johnson.

Well, one can be optimistic here. I don't think any of that is a stretch. Except maybe Matt Schaub challenging Peyton as the best QB in our division. Although I think it's very possible within a few years.

And to think we still have 5/6 more players to add to the team.

I am currently a grad student at UVa in the biomedical sciences, and the word around Charlottesville is that Schaub is a guy everyone is going to love.
He is seriously idolized around here after Aaron Brooks' wonderlic fiasco.

Anyway, after picking up Lundy last year, its too bad we didn't also pick up D'Brick with the #1 overall. Then we could reunite Schaub and his franchise LT (I dont actually know if they ever played together)!

PS: I dont think deserves its own thread, so feel free to merge it!

Get ready for this thread to be in the classics...great thread yall...greatness, indeed.

Great move again, as we basically just gave up a 2008 2nd rd pick....I mean, losing that 2nd rounder hurts a little, but it won't be as bad if we come out and rip teams a new one offensively....

Schaub's accuracy is what makes him the perfect QB for our system. Obviously we got a great leader, a great team guy and a QB we can build around and make better with O-Line help, good backs out the backfield and another WR to go alongside Andre Johnson.

The people that say its a bad trade...maybe they didn't see it like I did along side some others. I mean ok, 8, 39 and 08's 2nd for 10 and Schaub seems like one team got robbed, but in a technical sense, we didn't. 8 and 10 isn't too much of a different, since we could lose out on a player or two that could have been ours at 8, but we could end up getting a great player at 10 anyway...could be Peterson, Landry, Nelson, Brown, Okoye or even Willis if we wanted to draft him and play him at OLB...(ok maybe that last one was just a wish or something or a nice possible thing lol).

All in all, we made a GREAT trade. I was excited when I found out we got Schaub for a 2nd rounder. Schaub will be great for this team and quote me here...

Texans = 2008 playoff team.

Back