Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans best decisions

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I truly believe that trade was necessary to make cap room for signing Romo. I would have traded a 2nd round pick for Romo.
Romo was a RD1 and out QB as well. I often wondered why OB didn't make a bigger push for Hackenburg since that was the guy he brought into Penn St to run his offense. It would've been the bow-tie moment in his Houston career...confirming OB doesn't know shite about identifying QB's.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Romo was a RD1 and out QB as well. I often wondered why OB didn't make a bigger push for Hackenburg since that was the guy he brought into Penn St to run his offense. It would've been the bow-tie moment in his Houston career...confirming OB doesn't know shite about identifying QB's.
For years, I've been calling for OB to sign Hackenberg or McGloin. That way we can see once and for all what an "OB QB" does with his offense.

Matt McGloin and Christian Hackenberg are still available to sign. They played for O'Brien, knows this system and are waiting for him to unleash the potential that no other NFL team has been able to harness.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I could just see that.

Goodell: With their 1st round pick, the Houston Texans select...Jimmy Garopollo.
Goodell: With their 2nd round pick, the Houston Texans select.......................Jimmy Garopollo?
Goodell: WTH. Someone tell the Texans they cannot use two different picks on the same player
I think you need to go back and read some old mock draft threads

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's okay. I'm good and just joking around. I love the sport, but rarely invest the time, effort or find the value in mock drafts.
I know you were joking around. You made me LOL.

We have a pretty good time over in the draft section. It's a lot of fun. The TT Mock draft was great because it gave you an idea how other people valued players.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
As any young QB would benefit from being in that situation. An additional year or two might've had him fully prepared to step in when manning called it quits. His decent stint as the starter probably had many fans in Denver feeling pretty good about his chances if they had kept him. Of course, that was all on OZ for thinking he no longer needed any grooming which came back and bit him and his NFL career in the arse.
Brock Osweiler, the career backup QB who earned $41 million. Which part of that ‘bit him on the arse’ exactly?

Ill add giving up 2 2nd rounders for Matt Schaub. It was only a couple of months later that Vick was arrested, so the timing of that trade was perfect for the Texans, who got a franchise QB for the first time, and were finally able to build the roster around that.

Texans had 5 consecutive losing seasons before that trade, have only had 3 losing seasons since. The moment that turned the franchise around.

OptimisticTexan

Brock Osweiler, the career backup QB who earned $41 million. Which part of that ‘bit him on the arse’ exactly?

Ill add giving up 2 2nd rounders for Matt Schaub. It was only a couple of months later that Vick was arrested, so the timing of that trade was perfect for the Texans, who got a franchise QB for the first time, and were finally able to build the roster around that.

Texans had 5 consecutive losing seasons before that trade, have only had 3 losing seasons since. The moment that turned the franchise around.
Bit of a reach to claim the Schaub trade turned the Texans fortunes around.....piss-poor to mediocre I guess. The Texans history would show that RC and his defense was the primary reason the team showed any life after the Schaub trade in 2014. The defense finally sputtered around 2017 and Watson arrived to carry the offense/team when healthy.

In regards to Osweiler, it bit him in the arse b/c his NFL career was over in 2018.....where it may have had a better chance to flourish had he remained in Denver and played in a system more conducive to his skill-set. It might be a fun question to ask Osweiler, are you content with your 7 year career and 41M in earnings or would you prefer to still be a starting QB in the NFL?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Bit of a reach to claim the Schaub trade turned the Texans fortunes around.....piss-poor to mediocre I guess. The Texans history would show that RC and his defense was the primary reason the team showed any life after the Schaub trade in 2014. The defense finally sputtered around 2017 and Watson arrived to carry the offense/team when healthy.
The Schaub trade being discussed was in 2006, long before RC

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Let's face it, so far Smith and Charles who have made the bad choice/moves for the most part. You can argue that, but OB even with Brock won 9 games. And while we have no idea what will happen with the DHop for Johnson trade till after the season...he has won 9+ since he arrived (or was it under 9 in year 1?... forget).

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Let's face it, so far Smith and Charles who have made the bad choice/moves for the most part. You can argue that, but OB even with Brock won 9 games. And while we have no idea what will happen with the DHop for Johnson trade till after the season...he has won 9+ since he arrived (or was it under 9 in year 1?... forget).

He had a 6-10 year.

That team he inherited was a much better roster than the one he has currently - It was a contending team in need of a quality QB. The one he has now is a quality QB in need of a team.

That's how he was able to win 9 games with Oz.

This squad will go as far as Watson can drag them .... and he's gonna be pulling uphill both ways.

Texansballer74

The Marine
He had a 6-10 year.

That team he inherited was a much better roster than the one he has currently - It was a contending team in need of a quality QB. The one he has now is a quality QB in need of a team.

That's how he was able to win 9 games with Oz.

This squad will go as far as Watson can drag them .... and he's gonna be pulling uphill both ways.
This is top of the line stuff right here.

Agreed 100%al

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The part that always gets me about that Osweiler season is that as bad as he was he still threw 2 perfect dimes in that playoff loss to New England, both of them were right on the money and both of them were dropped by Fuller and CJ, had they been able to catch them that could have been like one of the biggest playoff upsets in NFL history.
& I was genuinely curious how Osweiler might have done with a 2nd year under O'Brien. As much as we paid to get rid of him... anyway

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
And the last game of the year was a meaningless game against the Titans that we played like it was a preseason game. That was an 11-5 team, that defense was legit.

I've said this on more than one occasion - OB inherited a contender minus a QB.

Gary and Rick built a solid roster .... and were a Schaub injury away from a Lombardi trophy.

One of the worst mistakes this franchise has ever made was firing Kubiak. It wasn't his fault that his QB was broken and he had no good options. They should have given him a shot to replace Schaub.

Same team comes in the next (2) year(s) and goes 9-7 with a mediocre QB.

Mangler

Toro de España

Gary and Rick built a solid roster .... and were a Schaub injury away from a Lombardi trophy.

One of the worst mistakes this franchise has ever made was firing Kubiak. It wasn't his fault that his QB was broken and he had no good options. They should have given him a shot to replace Schaub.

I couldn’t agree more. We should have won it all in 2010/2011 but it all went down the drain once Schaub got injured. 2014 would have probably been 10-11 Ws with the same coaching staff, but no! They instead handed a playoff caliber team to O’Brien’s incompetent arse.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

I would also add 9-7 with a mediocre OC and offensive staff.

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
I don't agree with the consensus in this thread that we would have made it to the Super Bowl had Schaub not got hurt. I just don't think we would have ever won a conference championship game on the road with Schaub as QB, even healthy. To me the bigger injury that 2011 season was the Andre Johnson and Mario Williams injuries, had those guys not gotten hurt that was probably like a 13-3 team with home field advantage in the AFC. Mario was lighting it up as an edge rusher in Wade's defense when he went down for the year. Schaub collapsed harder than probably any quarterback ever and you could see it starting late in that 2012 run, he did his best to throw away that 2012 Wild Card game against Cincy but the defense saved him. I think we still lose in Baltimore in 2011 even with Schaub, if not they definitely lose in New England with Schaub that next week. His only chance of getting us to a Super Bowl was if we got homefield advantage those years and with a healthy Mario and Dre in 2011 they could have did it.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
They outscored their opponents 273-160, scoring 27.3 points per game with Schaub.

Got outscored 108-112, scoring 18 points per game without him.

Who knows if they make the SB with a healthy Schaub that year or not, but they sure had a hell of a lot better chance to before he went down.

A drop of over 9 points per game is a significant drop off. That takes you from one of the top offenses to one of the worst.

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
Schaub just never had it in him to pull off a tough playoff game on the road, he was never that kind of QB. I could see him getting it done at home in divisional round or conference title game. I just don’t see him getting us past NE in that AFCCG that year. I believe we were toast with or without him that year.

To me the Mario Williams and Andre injuries were what killed our chances. That’s all I’m saying. Look at how well that offense was rolling after Dre went down for those weeks, if he was in there that offense would have been unstoppable we would have won some games we lost. Same for Mario and that defense, with him rushing the passer hell we might could have beat Baltimore even with Yates. Mario’s injury was the real hame changer that year. That was a #1 or #2 seed team if not for those.

OptimisticTexan

I know I'm a Keenum homer but I sure would've liked to have see him run Kubiak's offense with a better OL and a healthy arsenal of AJ, DJ, & AF during that 8 game losing streak to start his career. In all honesty, they gave away a few victories via bad defense, stubborn coaching, and yes, some bad play by Keenum. I always say, it would've been interesting to see how different things may have gone if the team had played .500 ball in those first 8 games.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
A bit out of the box...

I doubt these have been said but I'm just guessing as I didn't read the whole thread but ...
I'd like to thank them for the red, white and blue color scheme that matches our state flag.
That could have been a poor decision in many ways.

Going with the city that lobbied for and eventually voted that the team would be named The Texans was also a nice touch.. and of course not withstanding our Toro/Bull logo/mascot. Good choice and likeness.

PS.. I'd like to thank them for finally getting rid of the grass square pallet system of injuring players.
Slow clapi there as well. SMH on what took so long but I digress.