Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans best decisions

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’ll go first (and possibly last):

Signing Arian Foster after the 2009 draft. Not to toot my own horn *toot toot* but in my Texans mock draft I had the Texans taking Foster in the sixth round. Obviously, I had no idea he would turn out as good as he did, having him last until the sixth, but I’m glad he did.

More than anyone up to that moment in Texans history, Foster forced people to take notice of the Texans. Not immediately upon signing with the Texans but the first game of the 2010 season.

Boris

All Pro
Taking Mario over Vy/Bush
Bad juju not drating VY
Flawed as he was

Local kid brought us a national championship
Drafting him should have been an obligation
especially in that poor draft class https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NFL_Draft

I'd have gladly shouldered his professional failure for what he delivered collegiately

Best scenario: Steelers draft Dan Marino.

Worst scenario: Pacers draft Steve Alford

Edit: VY running Kubiak's bootleg...

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Bad juju not drating VY
Flawed as he was

Local kid brought us a national championship
Drafting him should have been an obligation
especially in that poor draft class https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NFL_Draft

I'd have gladly shouldered his professional failure for what he delivered collegiately
In his last season with the Titans, Young was having one of his better NFL seasons running Mike Heimerdinger's WCO. In fact, Heimerdinger was the WR coach with Shanahan and Kubiak in Denver. So, we got to see glimpses of Young in the WCO.

I think it would have been very interesting to see Young under Kubiak's guidance.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
JJ Watt. His impact on the franchise and city has been tremendously positive, and the Texans have had some national spotlight just because of JJ.

Hopefully Deshaun Watson has a greater impact in the long run, but his career is still too early to tell it at this point.

Great thread for conversation, btw. :thumbup

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
In his last season with the Titans, Young was having one of his better NFL seasons running Mike Heimerdinger's WCO. In fact, Heimerdinger was the WR coach with Shanahan and Kubiak in Denver. So, we got to see glimpses of Young in the WCO.

I think it would have been very interesting to see Young under Kubiak's guidance.
I'm also starting to think Vince Young was doomed the second he was drafted by that piece of **** franchise. It certainly didn't help that the head coach Jeff Fischer didn't want anything to do with him, Bud Adams forced him to draft him. The kid was fucked right there.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I saw the VY flop coming a mile away b/c I’d watched him close in college and had heard about him when he was in high school. He was the classic man amongst boys athlete all through high school and college..that kid who never really had to work on his game b/c he was just better than everybody & whose “leadership” skills were only due to everyone else knowing he could play so they fell in line. Mack didn’t help him truly develop as a qb and actually probably only exacerbated the problem.

so by the time he got to the pros and he actually had to work on his game to be good, he didn’t know how to & Fisher...& his teammates who were consummate pros got after him for it. Of course he couldn’t handle NOT being left alone to let “Vince be Vince” like all his other previous HC’s.

So I doubt any team, system or coach was going to stop him from flopping b/c that wasn’t the issue. The issue for him was up top with his ego and mindset in learning how to play the position on the NFL level and about how to go about your craft as a professional.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I saw the VY flop coming a mile away b/c I’d watched him close in college and had heard about him when he was in high school. He was the classic man amongst boys athlete all through high school and college..that kid who never really had to work on his game b/c he was just better than everybody & whose “leadership” skills were only due to everyone else knowing he could play so they fell in line. Mack didn’t help him truly develop as a qb and actually probably only exacerbated the problem.

so by the time he got to the pros and he actually had to work on his game to be good, he didn’t know how to & Fisher...& his teammates who were consummate pros got after him for it. Of course he couldn’t handle NOT being left alone to let “Vince be Vince” like all his other previous HC’s.

So I doubt any team, system or coach was going to stop him from flopping b/c that wasn’t the issue. The issue for him was up top with his ego and mindset in learning how to play the position on the NFL level and about how to go about your craft as a professional.

True statement. I watched him in high school and like you stated he was unstoppable. Dude made it look so easy. When he got to Texas I was hoping Mack would’ve coached him up.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
JJ being drafted, Foster and AJ

The not so good:
Brock
Clowney ( the pick could have netted us a better player like Mack or traded for a few high picks... total waste for Mr Injury/Want Money)

AND my fav Smith is a fool move...

Ed Reed

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
JJ being drafted, Foster and AJ

The not so good:
Brock
Clowney ( the pick could have netted us a better player like Mack or traded for a few high picks... total waste for Mr Injury/Want Money)

AND my fav Smith is a fool move...

Ed Reed
Man, I was saying the same thing on draft day. Clowney really wasn't the guy the Texans wanted and the warning flags should've been apparent when no other NFL team had any desire to trade with the Texans when they were willing to move out of the pick.

Texans were running a 3-4 and drafted both Mercilus and Clowney as OLB'ers when both had played their entire CFB careers as DE's. It took Mercilus almost 3 years to finally learn the position.....yet they did it again with Clowney and he arrived injured. If it was an OLB they desired, the best OLB in the draft was there for the taking in Khalil Mack....an instant plug-n-play guy. I still don't understand the foolish pressure the Texans felt they were under to do what would be right in the NFL eyes versus what would be right for their team. Texans defense would've been immediately better with Mercilus coming along and Mack as the other OLB.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Signing Osweiler. Don’t laugh.
He was So bad.
How bad was he?
He was so bad the Texans finally realized they had to grow a pair and go all in and drafted Watson.
How bad was he?

In my eyes, he's easily the worst QB this franchise has ever had under center that has started more than 8 games in a season for us ......& that's saying something b/c we've had some pretty bad qb's start significant time for us.

Fitz
Hoyer
Carr
Savage
Rosenfels
Yates

Every single last 1 of those guys had their moments and/or were part of a significant win at some point as starters for us.......& all but 1 of those guys had at least 1 season better statistically than Oz's 1 season here. He was just awful & at no point did he even flash and give us hope that he could be the guy.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
How bad was he?

In my eyes, he's easily the worst QB this franchise has ever had under center that has started more than 8 games in a season for us ......& that's saying something b/c we've had some pretty bad qb's start significant time for us.

Fitz
Hoyer
Carr
Savage
Rosenfels
Yates

Every single last 1 of those guys had their moments and/or were part of a significant win at some point as starters for us.......& all but 1 of those guys had at least 1 season better statistically than Oz's 1 season here. He was just awful & at no point did he even flash and give us hope that he could be the guy.
Gary's system made The Blundering Wizard of Oz a rich man.

Really I wonder how much of that was Oz sucking and how much was OB's offense sucks cause Oz looked competent in Denver. He got here and was just terribad.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Really I wonder how much of that was Oz sucking and how much was OB's offense sucks cause Oz looked competent in Denver. He got here and was just terribad.
Yep,

Os looked so good that Gary benched him despite a winning record for the SB run.

Obviously it was the right decision.

Last edited:

mws

Rookie
How bad was he?

The funny & sad thing is Osweiler has the second best win percentage during Billy O's reign unless you count the QBs that started less than 3 games.

As bad as Oz was Savage is the one that gets me. I cannot believe the Texans held on to him for 4 years & actually went into a season planning on him as our starter. Of course that idiocy lasted about 1 half of the first game.

Regular Season Records for Texans QBs since 2014.

Watson: Games 37 - Record 24-13 .649
Osweiler: Games 14 - Record 8-6 .571
Hoyer: Games 9 - Record 5-4 .556
Fitzpatrick: Games 12 - Record 6-6 .500
Yates: Games 5 - Record 2-3 .400
Mallett: Games 6 - Record 2-4 .333
Savage: Games 9 - Record 2-7 .222
Keenum: Games 2 - Record 2-0 1.000
Weeden: Games 1 - Record 1-0 1.000
McCarron: Games 1 - Record 0-1 .000

OptimisticTexan

OZ and OB's EP system were oil and water.....just didn't mix. OZ had a solid period while stepping in for Manning but it'd be crazy to think that Manning was going to ride the bench b/c of OZ's success.

I'll continue to say that OB wasn't in on the decision to go after OZ....that was a McNair and RS move. That move may have been forced by OB's ineptness at selecting a QB to run his was to many moving parts of an offense.

If OZ had stayed in Denver and been willing to continue and learn from Manning, there's a damm good chance he's the still the starting QB today.

OB sure wanted Mahomes but the team let the Chiefs jump ahead of them. What did the Chiefs know that the Texans didn't? Obviously something b/c the Texans didn't want to make the same commitment as the team drafting behind them did. In all seriousness, the Texans made the move for Watson b/c I believe the team had lost faith in OB as a QB evaluator. Coach Watson or you can walk, may have been the ultimatum.

I had no faith in RS and I've had even less faith in OB to right the Texans ship. I just want OB to admit his offensive scheme sucks and he needs to hire a bonafide OC who could come in and implement a system that capitalizes on what Watson brings to the field. The OC needs the same control as RC received with the defense. OB needed to focus on becoming a solid HC and GM. He needs a mentor who can smack his nose when he's making a big blunder from a GM standpoint.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
He may have looked that way but was he really? Demaryus Thomas with a career 61% catch rate, 63.5% with Manning in ‘15, dropped to 53.2% when Brock took over. Emmanuel Sanders, career 61.2% catch rate, 64% with Manning in ‘15, 51% with Brock.

I’d argue he wasn’t all that then. Just had a Super Bowl caliber team around him to make him look better.

OptimisticTexan

He may have looked that way but was he really? Demaryus Thomas with a career 61% catch rate, 63.5% with Manning in ‘15, dropped to 53.2% when Brock took over. Emmanuel Sanders, career 61.2% catch rate, 64% with Manning in ‘15, 51% with Brock.

I’d argue he wasn’t all that then. Just had a Super Bowl caliber team around him to make him look better.
As any young QB would benefit from being in that situation. An additional year or two might've had him fully prepared to step in when manning called it quits. His decent stint as the starter probably had many fans in Denver feeling pretty good about his chances if they had kept him. Of course, that was all on OZ for thinking he no longer needed any grooming which came back and bit him and his NFL career in the arse.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Fools gold. He had a good game against the Patriots in the snow. Lol and he knew how to talk the lingo.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Yep,

Os looked so good that Gary benched him despite a winning record for the SB run.

Obviously it was the right decision.

Yeah , who did he get benched in favor of ?!

I can't think of a coach who wouldn't have started a healthy Peyton Manning over Oz.

Arguably the best QB in the history of this league.

not mentioned but in recent memory, zach cunningham in the 2nd round when he was touted as a first rounder(much like blacklock this year) and tytus howard over dillard

I was thrilled when they made the Cunningham pick - Thought he was the best in that draft at the position.
He hasn't lived up to the expectations if you ask me.

Titus over Dillard .... The Texans never had a shot to draft Dillard , he went 22 and they picked 23.
Howard only played half a season before getting injured - If you can't play , what good are you ?! At least Dillard made it thru a full season.

Yes , going forward I expect Howard to be the better player - assuming health.

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
The part that always gets me about that Osweiler season is that as bad as he was he still threw 2 perfect dimes in that playoff loss to New England, both of them were right on the money and both of them were dropped by Fuller and CJ, had they been able to catch them that could have been like one of the biggest playoff upsets in NFL history.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Been a while back but re signing Chris Myers I thought was a good move. Back when Arian was churning out yardage, this guy needed to stick around. I'm not concerned about the contract, whether it was good or bad, I don't really follow those things. Just him coming back to run that Oline for Arian was big, imo.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
As much as we like to harp on the Osweiler debacle, I stand by that it was the right move at the time. In the offseason of 2016, here were our QB options:

1. Roll with Hoyer one more season (after that KC performance in the playoffs)
  2. Hand the keys to Tom Savage
  3. Draft Paxton Lynch or Christian Hackenberg
  4. Sign the top FA QB... Brock Osweiler
Out of those options, I think signing Os was the best move for the team. I could care less if BOB wasn't onboard with bringing in Os, because the other three options would have been worse!

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Fools gold. He had a good game against the Patriots in the snow. Lol and he knew how to talk the lingo.
this. Oz couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn & I think a lot of times he didn’t even know where the ball was going. Every time I think of his play here I come back to That WTF int he threw against the chargers..I mean you don’t see qb’s miss that badly unless there’s a communication issue. He airmailed it so badly that the commentator had to call him out on itb/c he didn’t even know what the hell Oz could’ve seen to miss the throw that badly.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
As much as we like to harp on the Osweiler debacle, I stand by that it was the right move at the time. In the offseason of 2016, here were our QB options:

1. Roll with Hoyer one more season (after that KC performance in the playoffs)
  2. Hand the keys to Tom Savage
  3. Draft Paxton Lynch or Christian Hackenberg
  4. Sign the top FA QB... Brock Osweiler
Out of those options, I think signing Os was the best move for the team. I could care less if BOB wasn't onboard with bringing in Os, because the other three options would have been worse!
And that's fine. I believe I was in favor of that as well until we already had him, he wasn't all that, and I looked further into the numbers. Then it was like WTF? Still, considering where the Texans were, by their own doing, with the QB carousel they had going, probably the move to make.

Where it got bad, other than Os being a complete dud, is trading away a 2nd to get rid of him. You don't fix a decision that doesn't work out by making another bad decision.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
And that's fine. I believe I was in favor of that as well until we already had him, he wasn't all that, and I looked further into the numbers. Then it was like WTF? Still, considering where the Texans were, by their own doing, with the QB carousel they had going, probably the move to make.

Where it got bad, other than Os being a complete dud, is trading away a 2nd to get rid of him. You don't fix a decision that doesn't work out by making another bad decision.
I truly believe that trade was necessary to make cap room for signing Romo. I would have traded a 2nd round pick for Romo.