Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans and the 2019 Season....

Yes, all defenses will do worse against good offenses. The question is were the Texans unsually worse? I'd like to see more data on how other good defenses did against these teams. After all, the NFL had an offensive explosion this year. Football Outsiders does adjust for opponent strength and ranked the Texans D 7th, not as high as PFF.

Also, the defense scored several points and also gave the Texans favorable field position all season (#1 starting position according to football outsiders). There were also overtime points scored.

From estimated offensive points scored, they ranked 15th.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/offensive-points-per-game

Offensive TDs per game they ranked 20th.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/offensive-touchdowns-per-game

Red zone TD scoring percentage they were 29th.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

They were, however, 2nd in field goals made per game, but as noted above the defense consistently put the offense in good starting field position.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/field-goals-made-per-game

The improved ST's also helped with this.

Thinking about it more and I don't think anyone will know how this plays out until it happens (other than the family). It seems like a possibility that Cal may not have the $ to run the team and could have a sense of urgency to get things done while his mom is alive. Just a thought.

Possible but remember the Texans were Bob's baby and he fought long and hard to bring them to Houston, the rest of the league wanted the new team to be in LA, so I have a hard time believing he would leave it to chance. My guess is there is money set aside to help with the running. Besides it's not like the team doesn't make money, yeah running an NFL team is hella expensive but the Texans make a lot to.

According to Forbes they are ranked 9th for team value. Pretty good for a 16 year old team with nothing but division titles.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/houston-texans/

I have two dogs that will drink with me (my profile pic)...

A Lab/Pit mix - Bailey
Great Dane - Gypsy

Bailey is the bigger drinker of the two. Loves it. Gypsy is more of just a social drinker.
I have 3 dogs 2 of them drink craft beer with me.

A Lab/Pit mix- Boy
A Lab- Girl
The Great Pyrenees doesn't really like beer although she will drink some.

The other 2 lap it up like water.
I really hope that you all are kidding.

I have two dogs that will drink with me (my profile pic)...

A Lab/Pit mix - Bailey
Great Dane - Gypsy

Bailey is the bigger drinker of the two. Loves it. Gypsy is more of just a social drinker.

Jake, my 1st boxer, would come up after work and knock over the beer can.

Jake was the dog the kids grew up with. Slept under their bed.

Bell would be a mistake with our oline.
Cuts need to be made
CB K. Johnson
CB J. Joseph
CB A.Colvin ? Is he in plans?
Need speed and length in secondary
Need to sign best available CB & OT or OG in Free agency.

Resign
DE Clowney
CB Jackson
S Mathews

Draft a weapon at TE
Get size and speed on defense

Ah, lap dog. :barman:

He was. Moved from our bed to underneath Bear's cradle. Did it again when Dalton was born. Dog would have eaten anyone.

Elvis went thru a window. Jackass.

God damn window. Smooth thru. Window guy said it was the 1st he'd seen. Frikkin heads are built like tanks.

Not entirely wife friendly. Jake used to put his back to me and kick his legs. Knock the wife out of bed. Wife wasn't fond of that one.

Strong season. Watson played very well despite his broken Oline. Pretty proud of the team overall after such a bad start.

OB got exposed again though. I just can't get that angry, emotional, or excited with him as the coach at this point, because I feel like he'll continue to be their achilles heal.

Strong season. Watson played very well despite his broken Oline. Pretty proud of the team overall after such a bad start.

OB got exposed again though. I just can't get that angry, emotional, or excited with him as the coach at this point, because I feel like he'll continue to be their achilles heal.
His refusal to hire strong, renown coaches is his Achilles heel.
He seems to think he can do it all himself - he is probably smart enough to have basic knowledge on most of it, but he needs excellence - if he wants excellence as the final result.

Not kidding @CloakNNNdagger but don't get the wrong idea. They don't go beer for beer with me. Let's just say if a beer is spilled on the patio, I don't need to go inside and get paper towels. And I rarely, if at all, ever spill a beer.
Just an FYI, I work with one of the biggest dog rescue groups in Houston and have seen what can happen when Dogs get into alcohol. Dogs do not have the ability to break down alcohol like humans..............the concern is not liver damage so much as it is kidney failure. In many cases, it is volume related, but in enough incidences very little is involved. This kidney failure can come on acutely or present as a chronic, but progressive process. Toxicity is especially concerning with beer, as hops is quite toxic to the canine cardiovascular and body temperature-regulating system and kidneys. The temperature-regulating failure condition is known as "malignant hyperthermia"...........a condition marked by body temperatures exceeding 105⁰F, increased breathing, a racing heart rate, anxiety, vomiting, abnormal clotting, and even death if not treat within 6 hours of ingestion of the hops. Any breed of dog may be affected, but breeds predisposed to malignant hyperthermia (e.g., greyhounds, Labrador retrievers, Saint Bernards, pointers, Dobermans, Border collies, English springer spaniels, and northern breeds) are at much higher risk for toxicity.

If a dog owner wants to have his best friend(s) kick back some brews with him [https://barkpost.com/life/beers-for-dogs/], he needs to look into a product like Bowser Beer (or BarkBrew Beer, or Dog Wine Fetch Me Grigio, of Dog Wine Fetch Me Noir , or Bottom Sniffer Beer, or Snuffle Beer, or Dawg Grog, or Dog Beer) which contains no alcohol or hops.

beertrio__22080.1476906224.500.659.png

dog-beer.jpg

11925865_1618270738441995_1613421322_n.jpg

dog-beer-1.jpg

Last edited:
Offseason Low Down — 2019 NFL Team Needs: Houston Texans

Notable Free Agents: OLB Jadeveon Clowney, FS Tyrann Mathieu, RT Kendall Lamm, CB Kareem Jackson, DT Christian Covington, NT Brandon Dunn, DL Angelo Blackson, QB Brandon Weeden, CB Shareece Wright, RB Alfred Blue, K Ka’imi Fairbairn (RFA)

Offensive Line: Although Deshaun Watson added stress to Houston’s protection by holding onto the ball at the NFL’s second-highest rate (2.84 seconds), the Texans’ line did him few favors by yielding league highs in sack rate (10.9%) and hit rate (24.1%) with a patchwork front five that lacked any hint of consistency or continuity. Regardless of blame, this was the NFL’s least-potent pass-protection unit. Trent Brown is the top left tackle available in free agency, and Rodger Saffold is the top guard.

Defensive Line: Clowney, Covington, Dunn, and Blackson’s free agency threaten to break apart Houston’s defensive strength after Romeo Crennel’s unit led the NFL in 2018 tackles for loss (119) and Football Outsiders’ run-defense DVOA. Many moves must be made to keep this elite unit intact. For what it’s worth, my expectation is Clowney won’t be brought back.

Cornerback: Houston’s utter lack of speed remains worrisome at cornerback after last year’s unit got routinely cooked; only three defenses coughed up more completions of 40-plus yards (13). RCB Johnathan Joseph turns 35 in April, and Jackson’s contract is up. The Texans can’t rely on Kevin Johnson’s health. Running back, tight end, and backup quarterback also deserve talent upgrades, while Demaryius Thomas’ release combined with Will Fuller’s ACL recovery makes wideout another need

Disturbing that "upgrading the TE's" is considered a need.

Did we waste two picks last year?

Just maybe promoting our TE coach was an addition by subtraction.

It seems to be the consensus here that the OL and possibly the TE coach under performed last year.

Is our new QB coach a threat to our new OC if he disappoints next year?

Or is Obrien incapable of thinking that far in advance?

:coffee:

It seems to be the consensus here that the OL and possibly the TE coach under performed last year.

The Texans have always carried 3 TE's. The Jordan's were solid picks and should've had a full development season in 2018 but OB insisted on playing Griffin instead. What did we learn by season's end? Griffin still sucks and the Jordan's have upside Griffin could only dream of. To ensure OB doesn't decide to pro-long the start of their careers in 2019.....Gaine has to dump Griffin and get a new TE to join the Jordan's.

Last edited:

TE is like the 5th position listed and someone's opinion...The rookies largely played like rookies and were used inconsistently...If the author had listed OT and OG versus OL or DT and DE spearately TE would 7th most important of so which seems about right...Nothing extra for me to read into this one at least.

The Texans have always carried 3 TE's. The Jordan's were solid picks and should've had a full development season in 2018 but OB insisted on playing Griffin instead. What did we learn by season's end? Griffin still sucks and the Jordan's have upside Griffin could only dream of. To ensure OB doesn't decide to pro-long their careers in 2019.....Gaine has to dump Griffin and get a new TE to join the Jordan's.

Thanks for the response. Hope you are right.

I entered last season with high hopes for Jordan Akins.

TE is like the 5th position listed and someone's opinion...The rookies largely played like rookies and were used inconsistently...If the author had listed OT and OG versus OL or DT and DE spearately TE would 7th most important of so which seems about right...Nothing extra for me to read into this one at least.

I kept hoping from week to week that we would see more of the Jordans in the passing game.

The Texans have always carried 3 TE's. The Jordan's were solid picks and should've had a full development season in 2018 but OB insisted on playing Griffin instead. What did we learn by season's end? Griffin still sucks and the Jordan's have upside Griffin could only dream of. To ensure OB doesn't decide to pro-long the start of their careers in 2019.....Gaine has to dump Griffin and get a new TE to join the Jordan's.

We had another TE on tthe practice squad.

What neither of you have sufficient baincells to figure out our rookies that played last year are both named Jordon. Lots of people all year have called them tthe Jordans.

Or are y'all too lazy to look up the practice squad.

If you could communicate properly I would have to wonder what you were talking about.

Very weird coming from a very good lawyer.

I understood he meant the two TEs. Akins and Thomas. You being a quasi-draftnik I would think you'd have recognized that immediately given the subject was rookie TEs.
I'm thinking the 'fail' lies in the audience.

I'm glad you understood. I didn't. He wasn't really clear. Maybe he was talking to your part of the audience. Obviously I wasn't alone.

My post to Cak stands, I notice he wisely didn't comment on my post.

Just an FYI, I work with one of the biggest dog rescue groups in Houston and have seen what can happen when Dogs get into alcohol. Dogs do not have the ability to break down alcohol like humans..............the concern is not liver damage so much as it is kidney failure. In many cases, it is volume related, but in enough incidences very little is involved. This kidney failure can come on acutely or present as a chronic, but progressive process. Toxicity is especially concerning with beer, as hops is quite toxic to the canine cardiovascular and body temperature-regulating system and kidneys. The temperature-regulating failure condition is known as "malignant hyperthermia"...........a condition marked by body temperatures exceeding 105⁰F, increased breathing, a racing heart rate, anxiety, vomiting, abnormal clotting, and even death if not treat within 6 hours of ingestion of the hops. Any breed of dog may be affected, but breeds predisposed to malignant hyperthermia (e.g., greyhounds, Labrador retrievers, Saint Bernards, pointers, Dobermans, Border collies, English springer spaniels, and northern breeds) are at much higher risk for toxicity.

If a dog owner wants to have his best friend(s) kick back some brews with him [https://barkpost.com/life/beers-for-dogs/], he needs to look into a product like Bowser Beer (or BarkBrew Beer, or Dog Wine Fetch Me Grigio, of Dog Wine Fetch Me Noir , or Bottom Sniffer Beer, or Snuffle Beer, or Dawg Grog, or Dog Beer) which contains no alcohol or hops.

dog-beer.jpg

dog-beer-1.jpg
I've been thinking about sharing a beer with our 9-month old snouzer but not now. Thanks C&D.

#Texans head coach Bill O’Brien said he’d love to have Tyrann Mathieu back, didn’t say the same about Kareem Jackson, but did praise what he’s done as a Texan.

— Landry Locker (@LandryLocker) February 27, 2019

Bill O’Brien, #Texans HC "Keke Coute is a great kid. He’s a hard worker but he’s injured a lot, so we have to figure out how to manage that. He wants to be a dependable player and we definitely want him in there making plays." #NFLCombine pic.twitter.com/89FpTDB5h7

— Joe Everett (@JoeWEverett) February 27, 2019

We asked Bill O’Brien about D’onta Foreman. says that he’s healthy and that speed/change of direction is back to pre-Achilles. Became healthy so late last season that he just couldn’t get going, expects him to hit the ground running in 2019, starting April 15th for OTAs. #Texans

— RosterWatch (@RosterWatch) February 27, 2019

OB not interested in discussing play calling just like he did when he announced Tim Kelly as the new OC. #Texans

— patrick (@PatDStat) February 27, 2019

"I think we need to make improvements everywhere. I just don’t look at one position." Bill O’Brien when asked directly about the offensive line. #Texans

OB mentions that Tim Kelly ran the 3rd down meetings + introducing the opponent to the team. #Texans

Tweet from @AaronWilson_NFL: Bill O'Brien 'We do have to build, but every year is different' when asked if the team is close to being a contender after winning division title last season

Tweet from @AaronWilson_NFL: Asked if he will be the primary play caller O'Brien said it is too early to say

Michael Giardi

✔@MikeGiardi

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1100829701617131520

#Texans Bill O'Brien calls oft-injured wide receiver Will Fuller a "touchdown maker" but is unsure when Fuller will be able to do football activities as he recovers from a torn ACL.

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1100829701617131520
12:47 PM - Feb 27, 2019

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat
“You better make sure that guy fits what you do.” Bill O’Brien on finding free agents. #Texans

10:45 AM - 27 Feb 2019

O’Brien said they like to draft their players and have them improve. Like to rely on players who have been in the building. They value the familiarity the players on the roster have with the organization. Said on occasions you have to add free agent.

— Cody Stoots (@Cody_Stoots) February 27, 2019

Did a little bit of this in 2015 as well https://t.co/PPTvSShcyd

— Cecil Shorts III (@CecilShortsIII) February 27, 2019

dog-beer.jpg

dog-beer-1.jpg
My uncle had a Boston Terrier who dearly loved beer, as did my uncle. Whenever anybody was drinking beer, the dog wanted his pan full. I didn't know it was harmful until you posted this. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back