Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Acquire Gareon Conley DB from the Raiders for a Third round pick

badboy

Hall of Fame
We are not disagreeing too much, agree the team identity is pivoting to the offense, time for DW4 and Nuk to carry us versus Watt and Clowney. I just see gifted physical guys giving RAC flexibility in the backfield for the first time since Jjo was fresh here. I think Anthony Weaver is a great DL coach as well. PFF vs my eyes. I see a bad game against the Ravens and the Colts, otherwise the defense played well for their talent (minus soft last drive against NO and Colvin). With the talent RAC has, I don't see top 5 defenses anymore, but get some stops, force field goals, some takeaways and Texans can play with anyone because of talent they have on offense. If BOB and Kelly were better coaches I do think the offensive talent is near unstoppable when DW4 is seeing the D
after this last offseason and with the pickups during the season that we have I was hoping that our 2020 draft would be purely defensive. However, with those pickups developing on defense with the corner situation is it possible that we could for the first draft ever go full on Best player available?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Lmao. Nice call deleting all that.

We need Conley on the field.

Reactions: JB

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Gareon Conley is fools gold. So is Roby and so is Hargreaves. Those are band aids hoping to cover bullet holes. The entire defensive backfield needs to be revamped. You cant throw reclamation projects at RAC and then get mad at him when his defense fails miserably. Not the way it works. You guys beefing up to a few pass breakups are funny. Conley should be the 5th DB on this team at best. Let Roby walk. Hargreaves is dumpster juice. Only guys you bring back are Reid and Gip.

one or two games doesnt make up for a season of bad play. sorry! he is an abysmal tackler, he has given up receptions on 39 out of 68 pass attempts LMAO I mean every single metric minus the resident blind guys "eye test" states that Gareon Conley is average AT BEST! That what ya'll want? Average? RAC cant run his true attacking Cover 3 with these guys. Yall get mad when you see a cushion and ASSUME these guys are good enough to absorb WR talent! They're not! Cmon man. They are stopgap players at best, save your projections they've been here long enough to leave imprints. Their PFF grades of 63.2 and 66.8 put them in the BACKUP category for the grading scale. SMH. "but they are gonna be all pro's next year just you wait" okay. "but didnt you see them out there making all those plays???" who else was going to make them?

Im supposed to believe the scouting of a guy or group who stated Josh Allen was better than Deshaun Watson??? Hilarious.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
He is what the Texans hope Lonnie Johnson can be. a long-armed guy whose not a burner, but knows how to use his length in coverage. A few of those plays he made on saturday he was what most people would call "beat". But once he reached those long arms out there and made the play, you could see that he really wasn't, he was still within range for his physical attributes.

Uncle Rico

Conley balled his butt off Rico Saturday.
he played well. had a nice pass breakup that saved a TD. you know who else balled out? 38 year old Mike Adams. Roby could have cost the team a loss with his two softball drops and Hargreaves is getting stiff armed into the after life. None of these guys can tackle bro. Covering is only one aspect of playing DB.

Im not going to play the one game good three games bad with him. Leash should not be that long. If you can make an improvement you make it. scary thing is these guys will feel obligated to justify the 3rd round price tag and leave him out there even to the detriment of the team. Here it comes ... HERE IT COMES...

"hopefully he gets better next year and makes some progression" LOL he's not going anywhere I'll be the first to say it, but you cant convince me a turd sandwich tastes good. If anyone can make him a player on this coaching staff it will be RAC though so we'll see.

Texansballer74

The Marine
he played well. had a nice pass breakup that saved a TD. you know who else balled out? 38 year old Mike Adams. Roby could have cost the team a loss with his two softball drops and Hargreaves is getting stiff armed into the after life. None of these guys can tackle bro. Covering is only one aspect of playing DB.

Im not going to play the one game good three games bad with him. Leash should not be that long. If you can make an improvement you make it. scary thing is these guys will feel obligated to justify the 3rd round price tag and leave him out there even to the detriment of the team. Here it comes ... HERE IT COMES...

"hopefully he gets better next year and makes some progression" LOL he's not going anywhere I'll be the first to say it, but you cant convince me a turd sandwich tastes good. If anyone can make him a player on this coaching staff it will be RAC though so we'll see.
Lol I hear ya.

I’m trying to convince you , just saying he played big time when it counted the most.

As far as Roby, even though he dropped those two picks ( one should’ve been a pick 6) he played solid as well.

Hargreaves can kick rocks next season

Uncle Rico

Lol I hear ya.

I’m trying to convince you , just saying he played big time when it counted the most.

As far as Roby, even though he dropped those two picks ( one should’ve been a pick 6) he played solid as well.

Hargreaves can kick rocks next season
he's what we got bro. Beggars cant be choosers. I doubt they upgrade the position, but we cant get recency bias either. I hope he really does become better, he's not a complete player yet.

Yup Roby was great actually. But if the Bills win, and those drops came back to haunt us how would you feel? We're allowing the warm fuzzies of a historic playoff win to cloud our overall impacts of these players. Are you willing to pay Roby more than 10Ms per season? I dunno.

I can look for positives too, but when guys try to rub my nose into some mediocre player EVAL it makes me chuckle a little bit.

You're eye test is giving you great grades. pull up the metrics. then watch the tape again. THEN bring up some old tape of some not so good moments and use some deductive reasoning.

We have some average secondary players. The numbers reflect that. Last time we were a relevant pass defense was 2016. That defensive secondary consisted of AJ Bouye, KJAX, JJO, Quintin Demps, Andre Hal, Corey Moore, Charles James .. RAC had his shutdown guys on the edge to play aggressive, and he was able to play like he wanted with Clowney manning the elephant attacking the A gaps at will. It wrecked passing offenses.

Our defense we have right now is a patchwork combination of backups and busts. We're hoping they become more than that, and only time will tell. RAC giving a 10 yard buffer isnt the cause its the effect. There is absolutely no push from the DL apart from Reader and Watt. RACs defense needs a constant disruptor playing in the backfield. If we give Pat Mahomes as much time as Josh Allen had to throw - the ball the game will be over by halftime. RAC must find a way to get some pressure.

Anyways I digress. We can revisit the topic next year. "hopefully Im wrong"

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Im supposed to believe the scouting of a guy or group who stated Josh Allen was better than Deshaun Watson??? Hilarious.
The fact that you'd even act like they were a huge distance apart this season is ridiculous.

I broke down the stats in another thread the other day and their seasons were very close. I mean hell the game even went into OT and Allen got his team a last minute FG which is what good QB's do.

When people have to come up with crazy stuff about other QB's shows an insecurity about theirs honestly. You can argue for Watson without trashing other QB's to do it. Josh Allen had a great 2nd season and almost got his first playoff victory on the road. He came up short, but there is nothing about Allen's season that you can knock at this point. He improved leaps and bounds.

If they don't resign him, then that 3rd round pick was only worth a lil more than 1.5 seasons.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If they don't resign him, then that 3rd round pick was only worth a lil more than 1.5 seasons.

For top-10 picks, the fifth-year option is equal to the salary of the league's transition tender during the player's fourth season. The number is based on the 10 highest salaries at the player's respective position during the previous season. Beyond the initial 10 selections, the fifth-year option is the average of the third- to 25th-highest-paid players at the same position.

As Conley was the 24th overall pick in the 2017 Draft, it was probably determined that picking up the fifth year option would be much more expensive than trying to negotiate next year (or later this year) for a new contract, depending on his performance (and their other options).

mussop

Hall of Fame

Well it will be par for course with our third round selections over the last decade.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

I suspect that for every wasted 3rd pick poster, I suspect there would been an equal number of "picking up a 10 million option on a below average CB" poster.

The only way the Texans "win" here is if Conley figures how to be an at least an average CB, and the Texans sign him to a below market deal.

:lol::spit: on both of those happening.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Tashaun Gipson and Aaron Colvin said, "that's .5 seasons more than they got".

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Yup. 10 mil is too much for Conley. I want to see improvement on his tackling before we invest on him being a long term starter.
It is too much, problem is when he’s decided he’d rather be a FA then he’s on O’Brien’s monthly rental plan.

And then he’s not just a loss of the 3rd round pick but Clowney also.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Looking at the Spotrac NFL cornerback rankings, it looks like the Texans made a wise move anticipating that they will be able to re-contract him in the future at a more reasonable level.
It's a wise move to not spend $10 million on the come for Conley. Though he played much better for the Texans than he did for the Raiders. Lower completion %, lower YAC, lower YPC, lower QB rating. As far as the Texans forethought, they should have done a better job estimating the value of the draft pick traded. 1.5 years of Conley does not equate to a 3rd round pick.

I do want to commend an assistant coach of the Texans, D'Anton Lynn. Guys like Roby, Gipson, and Conley showed improvement from their previous teams. Plus, he got Justin Reid ready to play at a high level. Maybe he can get more out of Murray and Watkins than they've shown, as well? No predictions, just like the way this coach has the arrow projecting.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It is too much, problem is when he’s decided he’d rather be a FA then he’s on O’Brien’s monthly rental plan.

And then he’s not just a loss of the 3rd round pick but Clowney also.
When he signs to a cheaper long term deal we can revisit this.

I remember all of the fretting over Tunsil getting re-signed around these parts. It was comical (Great entertainment) It was like some on this MB were hoping Tunsil didn't re-sign just so they could say I told you so.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
When he signs to a cheaper long term deal we can revisit this.

I remember all of the fretting over Tunsil getting re-signed around these parts. It was comical (Great entertainment) It was like some on this MB were hoping Tunsil didn't re-sign just so they could say I told you so.
I think O’Brien’s clock management skills surpass his player acquisition gambling.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's a wise move to not spend $10 million on the come for Conley. Though he played much better for the Texans than he did for the Raiders. Lower completion %, lower YAC, lower YPC, lower QB rating. As far as the Texans forethought, they should have done a better job estimating the value of the draft pick traded. 1.5 years of Conley does not equate to a 3rd round pick.

I do want to commend an assistant coach of the Texans, D'Anton Lynn. Guys like Roby, Gipson, and Conley showed improvement from their previous teams. Plus, he got Justin Reid ready to play at a high level. Maybe he can get more out of Murray and Watkins than they've shown, as well? No predictions, just like the way this coach has the arrow projecting.
If they re-sign Conley at a cheaper price he's well worth a 3rd.

I'm liking your optimism unlike some here that seem to think everything the Texans org does wrong.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
So OB uses a 3rd round pick on a guy that he drops the very next off season? Because its to much money to pay him? OB didn't think ahead knowing he'd have to up the ante this season and didn't look at his contract? Lol!

Here comes that Tunsil trade effecting others things again. All of that money they signed is creating those extra holes on the defense I mentioned like 100 times now. Lol!

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If they re-sign Conley at a cheaper price he's well worth a 3rd.
One thing has nothing to do with the other. Had the Texans never traded for Conley, he would have made it to free agency and be available to sign. Or not. They did trade a 3rd for Conley, and got 1.5 seasons out of that.

What do you see Conley's price point and contract terms as a free agent?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I suspect that for every wasted 3rd pick poster, I suspect there would been an equal number of "picking up a 10 million option on a below average CB" poster.

The only way the Texans "win" here is if Conley figures how to be an at least an average CB, and the Texans sign him to a below market deal.

:lol::spit: on both of those happening.
There's always the option of not burning a 3rd round pick on an average CB with a $10M option in the 1st place.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So OB uses a 3rd round pick on a guy that he drops the very next off season? Because its to much money to pay him? OB didn't think ahead knowing he'd have to up the ante this season and didn't look at his contract? Lol!

Here comes that Tunsil trade effecting others things again. All of that money they signed is creating those extra holes on the defense I mentioned like 100 times now. Lol!
He's PROBABLY going to bring back Conley at a cheaper price.

Good business

The elephant/albatross is the upcoming DW4 extension.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
One thing has nothing to do with the other. Had the Texans never traded for Conley, he would have made it to free agency and be available to sign. Or not. They did trade a 3rd for Conley, and got 1.5 seasons out of that.

What do you see Conley's price point and contract terms as a free agent?
If he plays as well as we hope he does he probably gets a little less than Roby got. Hopefully he plays well enough to get Roby $$$$ or better.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
You guys do remember Croissen and Gaines were playing CB due to injuries, grabbing Conley was a good thing. We wipe our rears with 3rd round picks anyway, except for Reid (our lucky one). I do think they will work on a reasonable deal for Conley unless he really wants to bet on himself and go to FA