Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Acquire Gareon Conley DB from the Raiders for a Third round pick

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Really quite liked him coming out of OSU. Was overshadowed by teammate Marshon Lattimore, and for good reason. But a damn good athlete who has been in a work in progress since arriving in the league.

Long, good top end speed, physical. Athletic if a bit stiffer than you'd like. Better technique would help.

Hope he finds his progress here, and soon.

zshawn10

All Pro
The Texans own the Seahawks' 2020 third-round pick.

If that goes to Oakland, the net of the Jadeveon Clowney trade would be: Gareon Conley, Barkevious Mingo and Jacob Martin.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) October 21, 2019

Raiders trade Gareon Conley to Houston, per @VicTafur.

Conley underwhelmed in Oakland but was given little opportunity to play man coverage like he did at OSU.

Houston runs man coverage at the fourth-highest rate in the NFL; he'll perform better in HOU, imo.

— Austin Gayle (@PFF_AustinGayle) October 21, 2019

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Better system fit in Houston and supporting cast. Texans now have:

two underachieving 1st round CBs in Roby/Conley

one old 1st round CB in Jo Jo

and one 2nd round CB in Lonnie

It stinks OB continues to mortgage the future giving away draft picks like they’re candy. But Conley is a good risk/reward pickup. Especially with the injuries at CB currently they wont find a better talent on the street.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well, there goes our 2020 draft. lol
Don't the Texans still have a 3rd/ two 4ths and the rest of their picks? Former 1st Rd pick under contract for 2 more yr.

Very talented guy. You can line up Roby/Conley/JJo when everyone is healthy in the playoffs.

Posters bitching tells me there's nothing this regime can do to make them happy. Give me a 1st Rd talent for a late 3rd Rd pick any day.

I guess people don't understand and can't relate to the new way the Texans org is doing business. All I can say is it's about time.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Jesus Christ, why not just throw a 1st and a 3rd at ARZ for Peterson? Why does that asshat keep overspending for marginal talent?

Remember how a 3rd round pick was "OKAY" for Duke Johnson?? Only for him to turn out to be JAG?

#GoAstros!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Better system fit in Houston and supporting cast. Texans now have:

two underachieving 1st round CBs in Roby/Conley

one old 1st round CB in Jo Jo

and one 2nd round CB in Lonnie

It stinks OB continues to mortgage the future giving away draft picks like they’re candy. But Conley is a good risk/reward pickup. Especially with the injuries at CB currently they wont find a better talent on the street.
Ask yourself if you can draft a CB better than Conley in the late 3rd Rd?

If Conley plays as good as Roby has this year then when Roby gets healthy the CB's are a very talented group. I am betting RAC/Midget can coach Conley up.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Conley probably helps a little bit.

But again the cost is terrible.

O'Brien is the donkey at the table, and now he's on tilt too.

Every GM should be calling to fleece him before he runs out of picks

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Conley probably helps a little bit.

But again the cost is terrible.

O'Brien is the donkey at the table, and now he's on tilt too.

Every GM should be calling to fleece him before he runs out of picks
A late 3rd for a talented guy. The only reason Conley was available is because Gruden is cleaning house of all of McKenzie guys.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Thats the sad part .. to see guys here getting hard over a Raider bust!! NOW all of a sudden Im supposed to be impressed by a pick from a franchise in further disarray than ours?? INSANITY!
In Conley’s case a change of scenery could help him a bunch. He was not drafted by Gruden and when Gruden was hired they made their defense zone coverage heavy whereas Conley played mainly press man in college. Different skill sets required for different schemes and chances are Conley will fit better in Houston where he can play more man coverage and has a superior pass rush supporting him.

Whether that means he lives up to his first round draft pick pedigree remains to be seen. He was basically a faster version of Lonnie Johnson coming out.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
In Conley’s case a change of scenery could help him a bunch. He was not drafted by Gruden and when Gruden was hired they made their defense zone coverage heavy whereas Conley played mainly press man in college. Different skill sets required for different schemes and chances are Conley will fit better in Houston where he can play more man coverage and has a superior pass rush supporting him.

Whether that means he lives up to his first round draft pick pedigree remains to be seen. He was basically a faster version of Lonnie Johnson coming out.
I will bet you posters complaining haven't watched 1 minute of this guys play in the pros or college.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
At this point, too early to determine whether this is a good pick up or not. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope it turns out well.

Of course there are reasons to feel this isn't going to work out, but I am just going to wait and see.

And pray.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I will bet you posters complaining haven't watched 1 minute of this guys play in the pros or college.

I'll admit I haven't.

But CB's are really hard to come by. Why would a team like Oakland get rid of a pick this early if he had a great attitude and had shown strong play making ability as a pro? The Texans need early round draft picks at this point. OB is just trading everything possible to save his job in the short term. If he ends up being a very solid player, I'll be happy to change my criticism of the move.

Uncle Rico

We will have the 2 worst tackling CBs in the NFL with Roby and Conley. Tell me again how that helps with a secondary who has to tackle so much due to continual breakdowns?? We cant apply pressure to the QB consistently, and now we are going to have CBs who dont want to tackle too?? SMH.

Uncle Rico

I'd rather O'Brien trade all the picks for vets than be in charge of the actual Draft.
That stands out to me. YOu have a guy who WILL place a substantial amount of stock in certain players (Tunsil mainly) and will give up the farm for their supposed potential. Then he will give up 3rd rounder for a scat back/3rd down guy who has not made much of a statement so far. Now you will give up another 3rd for a bust CB who just go lit up by Green Bay??

Why not just sweeten the pot for Patrick Peterson - you know "All In" and all that jazz?

Texas Jake

Rookie
I'll admit I haven't.

But CB's are really hard to come by. Why would a team like Oakland get rid of a pick this early if he had a great attitude and had shown strong play making ability as a pro? The Texans need early round draft picks at this point. OB is just trading everything possible to save his job in the short term. If he ends up being a very solid player, I'll be happy to change my criticism of the move.
Possibly, but consider this: the team has a shot this year, but the defensive backs are dropping like flies. If OB doesn't make a move to fix the position, you can kiss this year goodbye. You do what you have to do to salvage the season if you think you've got a shot.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'll admit I haven't.

Because Gruden is cleaning house of all of the McKenzie guys.

This guy is better in man than zone and fits what RAC wants to do. They still have 4 picks in the first 4 rds. Including 4-1 which is like another 3rd.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You’re fixated on Watson.

I’m fine with this trade...for now. I’m in wait and see mode.

Btw, there’s no guarantee the Texans will make the playoffs this year. Future picks could be mid-round.
No I'm not I was just responding to a poster letting him know what I feel about UR.

Conley under contract is more than worth a mid 3rd.