Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans #67 - Draft

I like this idea.
Seriously this year is a wash so use it to load up on picks next year and we will be set up for years to come.

read this earlier.
Trading For Next Year’s Draft
With so much uncertainty in the draft this year, team could simply “opt out” by packaging their picks in trades for next year’s draft. This year could be a buyer’s market in the mid-rounds with teams having less and less confidence in the player pool. Veteran general managers could be comfortable trading out of this year’s draft to stock up on future picks while new general managers look to make a splash could very well likely be a trend that occurs on Thursday and early Friday. It wouldn’t be surprising if the Texans make a move up in the draft if teams shed picks on Friday.

don’t like that last sentence. I would rather be the team selling.

Seriously this year is a wash so use it to load up on picks next year and we will be set up for years to come.

read this earlier.
Trading For Next Year’s Draft
With so much uncertainty in the draft this year, team could simply “opt out” by packaging their picks in trades for next year’s draft. This year could be a buyer’s market in the mid-rounds with teams having less and less confidence in the player pool. Veteran general managers could be comfortable trading out of this year’s draft to stock up on future picks while new general managers look to make a splash could very well likely be a trend that occurs on Thursday and early Friday. It wouldn’t be surprising if the Texans make a move up in the draft if teams shed picks on Friday.

don’t like that last sentence. I would rather be the team selling.
Rick Smith took a chance on a guy that was graded in the first a few years ago and he landed in our lap in Round 3.
We need that situation to repeat.
Btw, Justin Reid is a keeper.

Trade back and pick up another 3rd or high 4th.
We will have plenty of draft capital next year after trading Watson.
Caserio needs some young talent to try to rebuild this team and with a year under their belt they will be better for the 2022 season.

Well, all hopes that the Texans would perhaps get lucky and be able to draft an edge rusher at #67 vanished in a big way at the end of round one. I expect a big run of corners and safety's to go off the board in round two. That will leave the Texans with the decision of trading back (if they can find a trade partner) or drafting offense.

I would like to see the Texans establish an identity as a smash mouth team. With such little draft capital and DW4 tied up in legal issues rendering his trade value nonexistent I think the best thing for the team is to strengthen the only real strength they have as a team.

That is by picking up best available interior OL (Hoping for Meinerz or Dickerson!) . Solidify the strength of this team (the OL), run the ball like crazy, and have the next QB protected from year 1.

Another, albeit much less popular way will be grabbing TE Tommy Tremble, the best blocking TE to come out in quite some time. I know I know who needs another TE? But he has the athletic ability to become this team's George Kittle with more development as a pass catcher. And with his blocking ability he would be the best non OL blocker since Vonta Leach. Mismatch galore! I would gladly take that for a 3rd round pick.

I
Well, all hopes that the Texans would perhaps get lucky and be able to draft an edge rusher at #67 vanished in a big way at the end of round one. I expect a big run of corners and safety's to go off the board in round two. That will leave the Texans with the decision of trading back (if they can find a trade partner) or drafting offense.
I’d love more picks, but that all depends if they could find a trade partner.

I would like to see the Texans establish an identity as a smash mouth team. With such little draft capital and DW4 tied up in legal issues rendering his trade value nonexistent I think the best thing for the team is to strengthen the only real strength they have as a team.

That is by picking up best available interior OL (Hoping for Meinerz or Dickerson!) . Solidify the strength of this team (the OL), run the ball like crazy, and have the next QB protected from year 1.

Another, albeit much less popular way will be grabbing TE Tommy Tremble, the best blocking TE to come out in quite some time. I know I know who needs another TE? But he has the athletic ability to become this team's George Kittle with more development as a pass catcher. And with his blocking ability he would be the best non OL blocker since Vonta Leach. Mismatch galore! I would gladly take that for a 3rd round pick.

I like your approach. Even though the Texans start picking at 67.....they could address some important needs in this draft. I see the offensive talent in this draft as being perfect for the Texans situation, for 2021. Getting offensive answers this draft would free up the 2022 draft to add mucho high draft pieces on defense.

RD3-03-067: C- Dickerson (AL), C- Humphrey (OK), C- Meinerz (UWW), RB- Williams (NC)

RD4-04-110: C/G- Cleveland (GA), RB- Sermon (Ohio St), TE- Tremble (ND), WR- Collins (MI)

RD5-03-148: WR- Collins (MI), TE- Tremble (ND)

RD5-14-159: Any of the above guys who slipped to 159. If Collins and Tremble were both on the board at 148....this might be the time I’d trade up to 149 so I could have both.

I’d be fairly happy with this:

RB- Williams, C/G- Cleveland, TE- Tremble, and WR- Collins

-or-

C- Meinerz, RB- Sermon, TE- Tremble, and WR- Collins

Texans could really focus their assets on the defense in 2022.....especially if they have the Watson assets after he’s moved.

I want a smash mouth mentality also. If Teven Jenkins, OT, is still somehow available...

Due to the LBs we brought in plus who we had... scratch that position.

S/CB/can play either is very important for this unit. It is a deep draft for them. Meaning we can get one later if a true stud is sitting at 67. Leading me to...

OL is a need that could set us up for years. Not flashy but a need. I would like to see who is there at 67 before we go any other direction. QB and RBs need time to make plays. A solid OL is needed.

RB is a 2nd tier need. If you have a stud who can be around for years...take them and sit them till next year when we are full round 1-7. Then get QB in 1st and OL/DB in 2 and 3.

WR is not as glaring as OL or DB. Late picks may snag a good one still. But not 67.

QB is a great need. However, is anyone at 67 going to be as good as what we can get next year in the 1st? Probably not. Not that it would shock me if the FO is drooling over someone who is around at 67.

DE/DT/Edge this is a test of what you want to build 1st. A true DT who can handle 2 blockers and maybe get to the QB would be great. Same with DE and Edge. IMO we should go OL...

So I would like to see

3rd 67- OL
4th DB
After that BPA at DE/DT/Edge
With luck we can get 3 starting players in the first 3 picks even if the DL pick is a rotation guy. I'd take a RB if a stud is sitting there in the 4th however.

Man there is still a bunch of talent left on the board so I hope we can find a trade partner to pick up an extra 3rd or high 4th.
Wouldn't it be sweet if Levi Onzuwurike IDL was still on the board at 67...

Pretty clear the Texans idea and mine were at odds :)

But then again my players went later than 67. I guess if I want a smash mouth team I should go root for whichever team Dan Campbell is coaching (Lions this year)...

Hope the Texans do well this year, interesting to see what the team identity will be this year to set us up for future years in the Caserio/Culley era.

Back