Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 2020 Final cut down, 53 man roster, and practice squad discussion

I'm kinda surprised that both Warring & Keke made the 53 though I realize the cuts may not be completely over, especially if the Texans see
another player(s) released by another team they like.
I dunno did anybody think there were any real surprises here today ?

Only 4 Safeties on the roster, and Michael Thomas has been mainly considered a special teams star since going to the Giants. Last year he gave up a 74% completion rate and a passer rating of 120. I'm excited about what I've read about AJ Moore. But there is a lot of inexperience at the backend of the secondary, and no depth.

Blackson, Jaylen Watkins, and Jordan Thomas are the biggest surprises. I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking hard at D-line, WR, and Safety on the waiver wire.
Blackson stuns me. I had him as part of future with Omenihu and Blacklock. Carlos Watkins over Blackson I don't get?
Jordan T. less of shock but waived? He supposedly had great off season and they cannot get a 7th rounder? DTs and TEs suppose to be sought after. Warring beat out Thomas? How? I've been trying to get rid of Manz so that's a positive for me.
Both long snappers gone, who snaps, Nick Martin? Well Heck (sorry he got cut) darn, was that a deal by Martin for part of his raise?
Scotty Phillips made team over Higdan but I had buddy Howell cut. His ST ability saved him so SteelBTexan happy. Lol.
Most interesting result in years.

Only 4 Safeties on the roster, and Michael Thomas has been mainly considered a special teams star since going to the Giants. Last year he gave up a 74% completion rate and a passer rating of 120. I'm excited about what I've read about AJ Moore. But there is a lot of inexperience at the backend of the secondary, and no depth.
Lonnie Johnson got some time at safety also; cross training.

The Eagles supposedly cut 2 CB’s that surprised the guys on NFL Radio. I didn’t get a chance to see which 2 veterans were cut.

Blackson stuns me. I had him as part of future with Omenihu and Blacklock. Carlos Watkins over Blackson I don't get?
I'm guessing they liked the other DL pass rushing ability over Blackson's. I think the preference for Blackson came from Romeo. This is Weaver's defense, now.
Lonnie Johnson got some time at safety also; cross training.
OK, but that doesn't ease my concern over experience at Safety.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they liked the other DL pass rushing ability over Blackson's. I think the preference for Blackson came from Romeo. This is Weaver's defense, now.

OK, but that doesn't ease my concern over experience at Safety.
I agree on both. I do think LJ has some ability in emergency at safety. As for Weaver's defense, I thing we will see 5-6 defense a bit with 3 DL -2 ILB s- 6 DBs.

Any word if the team plans to re-sign Jordan if he clears waivers?
They will look at what they have when all shakes out to decide if they place him on the active squad for a reasonable contract.

Is he elgible for the practice squad?
I don’t know the parameters off the top of my head but I’d really like to see him stay with the Texans.

He will not see the PS as he is not eligible. He has had more than 1 acrued season. A PS player needs to have less than 1 accrued season of NFL experience. An accrued NFL season is considered 6 games, but players with one accrued season who were active for less than nine games regular-season games would be practice squad eligible. Jordan has played in 21 games.

But the above is not consistent with this tweet????????????

Last edited:
I’d imagine that Weeks is pretty settled in Houston and would rather not shift his life in the midst of a pandemic.
Perhaps but his contract before today was only $1.2. Another mill for 2020 and another three years could move him elsewhere.

He will not see the PS as he is not eligible. He has had more than 1 acrued season. A PS player needs to have less than 1 accrued season of NFL experience. An accrued NFL season is considered 6 games, but players with one accrued season who were active for less than nine games regular-season games would be practice squad eligible. Jordan has played in 21 games.

But the above is not consistent with this tweet????????????

Teams can have up to 6 players in 2020 with no limits on accrued seasons.

Teams can have up to 6 players in 2020 with no limits on accrued seasons.
Thanks for the clarification on 2020 changes!

NFL practice squad rules
The CBA that the NFL and the NFL Players Association agreed upon in the spring increased the size of practice squad rosters from 10 players to 12 players for 2020. (It will increase again to 14 in 2022). That was before the COVID-19 outbreak reached the United States and started impacting sports operations.

Because positive coronavirus test results among NFL players are all but inevitable, it's reasonable to anticipate more players missing games than usual in 2020. So the league agreed to expand practice squad rosters to 16 players, including six veterans (unlimited number of accrued seasons) rather than two, for this season.

Below are the players who are eligible to be added to practice squad rosters:

• Players who do not have an accrued season of NFL experience (rookies)
  • Players who were on the active list for fewer than nine regular-season games during their only accrued season(s)
  • Up to four players per team who have earned no more than two accrued seasons (no game limitations)
  • Up to two (six in 2020) players per team with no limitations as to their number of earned accrued seasons

Texans signing Greg Mancz to practice squad; Angelo Blackson to Cardinals' 53-man roster
Aaron Wilson Sep. 6, 2020 Updated: Sep. 6, 2020 12:38 p.m.

The Texans are signing center-guard Greg Mancz to their practice squad one day after he was cut from the 53-man roster.

Mancz underwent arthroscopic ankle surgery during the offseason. He was limited to nine games and one start last season. He was sidelined for five games with a concussion suffered against the Carolina Panthers when he absorbed a huge hit at the end of the game. A former undrafted free agent, Mancz has started 28 of 54 career games.Mancz was entering the final year of a two-year, $7.81 million contract that includes $3.5 million guaranteed. He was due a nonguaranteed $2 million base salary in 2020 with up to $250,000 in per-game active roster bonuses.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...nd-Kahale-Warring-survive-Texans-15546083.php
Other players who have signed to the practice squad include wide receivers Chad Hansen and Steven Mitchell Jr, offensive guard Cordel Iwuagwu (Westfield), inside linebacker Nathan Hall, offensive tackle Elijah Nkansah and nose tackle Auzoyah Alufohai, per league sources.The Texans are also expected to sign former Seahawks running back C.J. Prosise to the practice squad after two visits, including a meeting Friday.

The Texans still intend to re-sign veteran long snapper Jon Weeks, a former Pro Bowl selection, back to the 53-man roster to his original $1.187 million contract as well as backup offensive tackle Brent Qvale to his $1.047 million deal, according to league sources.

Details of Weeks and Qvale contract:

One day after being released, veteran long snapper Jon Weeks is back on the Texans' roster.The former Pro Bowl selection is being re-signed to the same one-year, $1.187 million contract he signed this offseason, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.The deal includes $250,000 guaranteed with a $137,500 signing bonus, a $1.05 million base salary with $112,500 of it guaranteed. Weeks' deal applied the veteran salary benefit.

The Texans are also re-signing veteran offensive tackle Brent Qvale one day after terminating his contract, per league sources.

The 6-foot-7, 315-pound former Jets and Nebraska lineman is signing a one-year, $1.047 million contract that includes $137,500 signing bonus and $300,000 in total guarantees.

link

So this is what the Texans PS looks like so far..........14 of 16 have been signed.:

Auzoyah Alufohai, Davin Bellamy, Anthony Chesley, Nate Hall, Chad Hansen (exception), Jerald Hawkins, Cordel Iwuagwu, Greg Mancz, Steven Mitchell, Elijah Nkansah, Jonathan Owens, Scottie Phillips, C.J. Prosise, Tyler Simmons

Details of Weeks and Qvale contract:

One day after being released, veteran long snapper Jon Weeks is back on the Texans' roster.The former Pro Bowl selection is being re-signed to the same one-year, $1.187 million contract he signed this offseason, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.The deal includes $250,000 guaranteed with a $137,500 signing bonus, a $1.05 million base salary with $112,500 of it guaranteed. Weeks' deal applied the veteran salary benefit.

The Texans are also re-signing veteran offensive tackle Brent Qvale one day after terminating his contract, per league sources.

The 6-foot-7, 315-pound former Jets and Nebraska lineman is signing a one-year, $1.047 million contract that includes $137,500 signing bonus and $300,000 in total guarantees.

link
Who are the two being sent to IR to make room?

Who are the two being sent to IR to make room?
Isaiah Coulter will be one. As far as the 2nd, I hope it isn't Greenard with his hamstring. But IR is limited only by the salary cap [Any player on the IR list counts against the salary cap, but not against the 53-man roster limit.] and this season the number of players activated from IR is unlimited except that no player may be activated off of IR more than once...................and there will only be mandates of 3 weeks before return............so much manipulating will occur this season.

Last edited:
Isaiah Coulter will be one. As far as the 2nd, I hope it isn't Greenard with his hamstring. But IR is limited only by the salary cap [Any player on the IR list counts against the salary cap, but not against the 53-man roster limit.] and this season the number of players activated from IR is unlimited except that no player may be activated off of IR more than once...................and there will only be mandates of 3 weeks before return............so much manipulating will occur this season.
I hope it’s not CB Conley, there is no depth for the DBs; Keke would make sense, the team could handle 5 WR since most TEs and RBs could handle Some snaps in the slot

I hope it’s not CB Conley, there is no depth for the DBs; Keke would make sense, the team could handle 5 WR since most TEs and RBs could handle Some snaps in the slot

Duke is the best slot wr on the team other than Cobb. I expect to see a lot of DJ at RB and Duke in the slot this year.

HUGE surprise to me that Blackson got cut. I penciled him in as a starter, a good one at that. I was pleased with the progress he made last season. Even more surprising considering Carlos Watkins made the team. The optimist in me hopes this is a sign the Texans have alot of confidence in Watt & Blacklock in 2020.

Jaylen Watkins was a surprise, just because we are very thin at safety. He is also supposed to be a good special teamer.

Jordan Thomas was not that big of a surprise. Keeping 4 TEs is tough. Only a little surprised because people were saying he was having a good camp. I suspect it was even tough to trade him considering there's no preseason tape on him.

Very surprised we're keeping 7 wide receivers. I know Coulter was sent to IR, but still surprised with 6. I don't know how Keke will be seeing the field.

Surprised with Cornell Armstrong making the team. To be fair, with the lack of pre season, haven't had a chance to watch him... but there really hasn't been any talk of him standing out in camp. 8 corners is alot! I know Conley got sent to IR, and Keion is mainly a special teamer... but 6 is still alot.

Last edited:
How did Carter make the team?

He's a turnover waiting to happen in the ST's game and barely avg as a WR if that. I hope they're scowering the WW for his replacement. He's the kind of player that looks good in practice but will get you beat on gameday. Cater does seem to be a BOB favorite though.

How did Carter make the team?

He's a turnover waiting to happen in the ST's game and barely avg as a WR if that. I hope they're scowering the WW for his replacement. He's the kind of player that looks good in practice but will get you beat on gameday. Cater does seem to be a BOB favorite though.

Carter did have the third highest punt return average in the league. His long is only 23 yards, which means he's fairly consistent with getting a good amount of yards every return (the average isn't skewed because of one/two big plays).

With that being said, I would like to see more big plays. I'd be ok with the couple of turnovers a season, as long as he also has a couple of big touchdown returns.

Back