Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 20 years and the history of this forum

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
Hey man I don't post much on here these days but ya'll are a cool bunch of fans. I am pretty hardcore going back to day 1 literally was at the first few preseason games this time 20 years ago. Anyway just wanted to say how much I love digging through the old archives you have here going back to 2004, brings back some great memories. Boy it's funny how close many of us thought we were in 2004, if we only knew what 2005 had in store for us haha. Times have been tough but I do love my football team and have a lot of awesome memories over the 20 years of watching them.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wish I could say I've been here from day 1, but that's just not the case.

I wasn't much into sports until Jimmy Johnson, from my home town, won the Super Bowl.

Tried to follow the Cowboys but after Jimmy Johnson was fired, couldn't do it.

The Oilers were on their way out & I didn't want to get attached.

So I followed the Aints. Then Houston were "awarded" a new team. I liked everything they were doing & I kinda watched them. But not really.

I got interested when they fired Capers (even though I liked the hire back in the day). When they hired Kubiak I was in. Loved the Broncos offense & I liked Houston hiring a Houstonian.

I bought season tickets & was all in.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I was not very gung-ho when Capers was announced but as I am a defensive guy and he was a great defensive coordinator I began to defend that decision. I continued to defend every single coach since. O'Brien again a good coordinator but not who I wanted as head coach. Same routine with many of the players we brought aboard by free agency or draft.

David Carr? Yeah I thought he would be an okay quarterback but was not the way I would build the team but again I made excuses. Mario Williams same thing. A good player but not the direction I would have gone. Of course there were awesome selections like AJ, JJ Watt and Nuke.

Was not against Davis Mills just not the pic I thought we should go with But I continue to hope for best and defend the pic as with this year's Derek Stingley.
Okay with Lovie Smith but just okay thinking he is the best we can do for what we need to for this year and probably next.

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
Yeah, good times.

The 2002-2003 team I fell in love with because they were so short on talent and depth and were always just grossly outmatched in some of those games, take 2002 for example like early on in that season they played the Eagles a team that was on their way to a 3rd consecutive NFC Championship game here we were just a team thrown together that Summer with rookies starting at all the offensive skill positions, what a mismatch. There were a lot of those the first 2 years but sometimes man we would put up a fight and I fell in love with them for that. The Patriots game in 2003 was one of those games that was one of the best teams/coaches/players of all time in their prime and we took them like 14:30 into overtime.

2004 was one of my favorite seasons to be honest. So many good memories, I loved it when they beat the Titans the first time(and again later that year) and they swept a pretty solid Jaguars team that year too, Faggins game winning pick six where he stood up on the wall gave us one of my favorite pics. I'm still looking for the game against the Vikings from that year in the tape trading groups I'm in on Facebook hopefully one day I'll find it, it was such an underrated classic that I don't think anybody seen and they barely showed any highlights/coverage for it in real time.

Man I would have bet the farm we were going to be a playoff team in 2005, they looked like such a promising young team in 2004, Carr/Andre/Dominick Davis it looked like we had the trio. Of course I didn't have internet back then and there was no way for me to know all the leaders of the team that we lost(Glenn and Sharper) and it seemed like Dunta Robinson and Andre Johnson just didn't want to play that year, it was very weird. Two guys that looked like the future of the league in 2004 just seemed to phone it in that next year in 05 like they were hoping to get out of here.

Carr had a stretch in 2004 where he was actually really fun to watch and seemed like a future star. At one point when they were 4-3 he had a 6 game stretch in there where he threw 64% completion with 1,688 yards 9 tds 3 ints for a 103.7 rating. Not sure what happened to him after that but I really think it was bad coaching that spilled over into that 2005 season. I do think he could have been better than he was but off field stuff gave him a bad reputation with team mates and nobody wanted to invest in him as a starter.

I found the 2006 win over the Colts late in the season on Youtube last Summer and I got to say that has to be the best win in the 20 year franchise history. That was one of the best QB's in NFL history on his best team(went on to win the SB) and they were playing to win for homefield advantage in the playoffs, Texans took them down with Ron Dayne up the gut, Carr looked really good in that game as did that defense. Seems like one of the all time great upsets in NFL history that doesn't really get mentioned much

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Carr had a stretch in 2004 where he was actually really fun to watch and seemed like a future star. At one point when they were 4-3 he had a 6 game stretch in there where he threw 64% completion with 1,688 yards 9 tds 3 ints for a 103.7 rating. Not sure what happened to him after that but I really think it was bad coaching that spilled over into that 2005 season. I do think he could have been better than he was but off field stuff gave him a bad reputation with team mates and nobody wanted to invest in him as a starter.
I'm not going to re-visit the entire Carr saga, but the final game against Cleveland was the beginning of the end for Carr and the Texans. With a win at home against Cleveland, and the Texans finish 8-8. The Browns were on a 9 game losing streak with an interim HC and down to their 3rd string QB. The Texans were favored by 10 points. That's right, favored by 10.

But the team that seemed to want to go on vacation early was the Texans. The Browns rode the Texans up and down the field that day, with the crowd booing the Texans like they never had before. The fans had lost faith in them, with some pouring beer on Carr's pregnant wife. The expansion era was now over. Carr never played with energy again, and the team folded early in 2005.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I'm not going to re-visit the entire Carr saga, but the final game against Cleveland was the beginning of the end for Carr and the Texans. With a win at home against Cleveland, and the Texans finish 8-8. The Browns were on a 9 game losing streak with an interim HC and down to their 3rd string QB. The Texans were favored by 10 points. That's right, favored by 10.

But the team that seemed to want to go on vacation early was the Texans. The Browns rode the Texans up and down the field that day, with the crowd booing the Texans like they never had before. The fans had lost faith in them, with some pouring beer on Carr's pregnant wife. The expansion era was now over. Carr never played with energy again, and the team folded early in 2005.
To me, whatever happened to break Carr and the Texans happened halfway through the season. He had 276 yards against the Jags in the 7th game of the season and then 228 yards in the 8th game against the Broncos. And then after throwing for 220+ yards per game up to that point, he didn't throw for 220 yards again that season. He only threw for over 200 yards twice in the 2-14 season. Kubiak semi-rehabilitated him, getting him back over the 200 and even 300 yard mark a few times in Kubiak's first season, but the crowning glory was that -5 total passing yards victory against the Raiders. I don't know if something to Carr or if defensive coordinators just figured him out, but like I said, whatever it was happened halfway through 2014's season.

beerlover

Hall of Fame

The excitement of having the NFL back in town has slipped through our fingers. Every single regime responsible for putting together a team that represents the City of Houston with pride, honor and accomplishment has failed.

If Lovie Smith can buck this trend and build something positive that can last, the fans, new fans, will fill NRG or whatever future name the old Relient has by then. Personally I doubt it. As evidenced by this thread, fans have long memories and built in defense mechanisms to ward off pain and suffering.

The NFL has drastically changed since Bob McNair vision of bringing back the NFL to Houston. But without him, there has been a leadership and vision vacuum that requires higher Football acumen and ownership with deeper pockets. Houston is too big to ignore, deserves a competent, competitive product, that’s expected to win playoff games and a freaking Super Bowl. Right now, we all encompass a sleeping giant, awaiting deliverance 20 years later.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The excitement of having the NFL back in town has slipped through our fingers. Every single regime responsible for putting together a team that represents the City of Houston with pride, honor and accomplishment has failed.

If Lovie Smith can buck this trend and build something positive that can last, the fans, new fans, will fill NRG or whatever future name the old Relient has by then. Personally I doubt it. As evidenced by this thread, fans have long memories and built in defense mechanisms to ward off pain and suffering.

The NFL has drastically changed since Bob McNair vision of bringing back the NFL to Houston. But without him, there has been a leadership and vision vacuum that requires higher Football acumen and ownership with deeper pockets. Houston is too big to ignore, deserves a competent, competitive product, that’s expected to win playoff games and a freaking Super Bowl. Right now, we all encompass a sleeping giant, awaiting deliverance 20 years later.
Quoted for truth.

Bob McNair wasn't competent leadership, unless you consider hiring incompetent people in positions of leadership for the on field product. He did hire Rootes to help lead the marketing side which helped enrich the McNair's. They're now the 6th wealthiest franchise in the NFL despite Cletus' gaffes. It's the closest the Texans have ever been to being the best at anything NFL related. So in that sense I guess you could say McNair was successful lining his pockets while putting a sub par product on the field and this trend is continuing. However for the 1st time since their inception I think the Texans org has competent people running the org. I really started to feel this way when Caserio brilliantly handled the Sexual Predator situation and ended up getting far more in trade for the Sexual Predator than I ever though he would. For the 1st time in a deal I felt like the Texans weren't the sucker.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
It has been an interesting 20 years on the board and the football team. We have seen two great resets. On the board we got rid of the NSZ that I think has made it a much more positive place. New mods make for an enjoyable experience. The Texans have seen a reset with new GM and HC. A great trade that saw us get 3 additional first round picks. It makes me feel like we are back to rebuilding this team the way it should be.

Really excited about the future for both the board and the team.

We may get on each other’s nerves every now and then, but you guys make this a great football experience. It helps when we have been through what we have.

Thanks!

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
To me, whatever happened to break Carr and the Texans happened halfway through the season. He had 276 yards against the Jags in the 7th game of the season and then 228 yards in the 8th game against the Broncos. And then after throwing for 220+ yards per game up to that point, he didn't throw for 220 yards again that season. He only threw for over 200 yards twice in the 2-14 season. Kubiak semi-rehabilitated him, getting him back over the 200 and even 300 yard mark a few times in Kubiak's first season, but the crowning glory was that -5 total passing yards victory against the Raiders. I don't know if something to Carr or if defensive coordinators just figured him out, but like I said, whatever it was happened halfway through 2014's season.
Thats interesting I never seen that game or heard about that but makes sense. To me the Denver game that year seemed to be the one that took the heart out of that team, I didn't see that one either(lived in East Texas in 04 and they didn't show every game here) but the stats show a pretty thorough beat down, Plummer threw 4 touchdowns and Reuben Droughns rushed for 120 yards on 29 carries. Stat line looks like Capers was outcoached in every area of that game(Broncos OC I believe was Kubiak that year so very interesting). Also interesting we could have taken Droughns in the 2002 expansion draft he turned out to be a solid back with Denver in the zbs.

Carr was sacked 4 times in that loss I wonder if any of those were the type of hits that took out whatever fire he had in his belly up to that point in his career. I'm sure concussions factored into his collapse I do remember him getting german suplexed onto his head in the Packer game that year and KO'd and stayed in the game and played like trash.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Quoted for truth.

Bob McNair wasn't competent leadership, unless you consider hiring incompetent people in positions of leadership for the on field product. He did hire Rootes to help lead the marketing side which helped enrich the McNair's. They're now the 6th wealthiest franchise in the NFL despite Cletus' gaffes. It's the closest the Texans have ever been to being the best at anything NFL related. So in that sense I guess you could say McNair was successful lining his pockets while putting a sub par product on the field and this trend is continuing. However for the 1st time since their inception I think the Texans org has competent people running the org. I really started to feel this way when Caserio brilliantly handled the Sexual Predator situation and ended up getting far more in trade for the Sexual Predator than I ever though he would. For the 1st time in a deal I felt like the Texans weren't the sucker.
This is it for me. I'd kind of reached a point where I no longer thought the Texans would ever come out even in a deal (much less on top of one) and that feeling that they finally for once didn't get screwed out of their lunch money was worth its weight in gold. I credit that with whatever level of renewed interest I have in them. Someone finally came to work on Kirby with some bad intentions. It's a nice change.

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
Isn't that crazy how this team was put together in the beginning and how that whole 2005 collapse was seemingly orchestrated by the league in the beginning or no? Look at that expansion draft list god almighty, there are a few guys on there that hadn't even been in the league in 2-3 years, then probably 85-90 percent of the players were guys that had either never started a game or hadn't started a game in years. Then the rest was just overpriced vets, look at how like every team just dumped off the overpaid salary cap problems into that draft. Thats nuts. Then the whole deal with Willie Roaf c'mon what a weird deal all around looking back at it now.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I didn't think it was that bad a deal and maybe the single smart thing Charlie Casserly ever did for the Texans was to try and meet the requirements of the expansion draft through salary numbers instead of players taken. He built a very competent defense in the blink of an eye and that defense kept a non-existent offense in many games far longer than they had any business being in them. The only problem is that the defense can't play all 60 minutes every game. At some point you have to be able to sustain a drive and score a few points if for no other reason than to give that defense of vets a breather.

I still think that the death blow was Bob's man-crush on David Carr. That first overall pick had no business being a QB. Peppers was the clear choice and in line with what they said they wanted to do. Tony Banks should have been their starting QB and with just the addition of Peppers on defense and a settled, veteran presence at QB I bet they could have won 6 games that year.

2003 you basically add Domanick Williams and Andre Johnson, then run Banks one more year before trying to draft your QB in the 2004 daft. I doubt you win more than 8 games that year but depending on what happens and how low your pick is you could potentially have your choice of Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, or Ben Roethlisberger. Consolation prizes include JP Losman, Matt Schaub, and Luke McCown.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I didn't think it was that bad a deal and maybe the single smart thing Charlie Casserly ever did for the Texans was to try and meet the requirements of the expansion draft through salary numbers instead of players taken. He built a very competent defense in the blink of an eye and that defense kept a non-existent offense in many games far longer than they had any business being in them. The only problem is that the defense can't play all 60 minutes every game. At some point you have to be able to sustain a drive and score a few points if for no other reason than to give that defense of vets a breather.

I still think that the death blow was Bob's man-crush on David Carr. That first overall pick had no business being a QB. Peppers was the clear choice and in line with what they said they wanted to do. Tony Banks should have been their starting QB and with just the addition of Peppers on defense and a settled, veteran presence at QB I bet they could have won 6 games that year.

2003 you basically add Domanick Williams and Andre Johnson, then run Banks one more year before trying to draft your QB in the 2004 daft. I doubt you win more than 8 games that year but depending on what happens and how low your pick is you could potentially have your choice of Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, or Ben Roethlisberger. Consolation prizes include JP Losman, Matt Schaub, and Luke McCown.
Yep, but the marketing team won out over the personnel guys. A trend that continued until the day Bob McNair died.

mancunian

Old Timer
ended up with Schaub 😆

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I always thought Casserly took apart that first secondary unit a year too early. Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman were a fine pair of CB's and the two safety positions were where the upgrades were needed. The idea that they would convert Coleman to FS was foolish. Sure you wanted to find replacements for Matt Stevens and Eric Brown but the players who were still on the board when Dunta Robinson was taken just make me sick to think about. Roethlisberger, Vilma, Wilfork, Harris... The list just goes on and on. So many needs for the team still and Casserly is giving away picks to a division opponent to take Jason Babin... WTF? Even if you concede that the 2004 draft was not deep there were still better choices than Babin available.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So many needs for the team still and Casserly is giving away picks to a division opponent to take Jason Babin... WTF? Even if you concede that the 2004 draft was not deep there were still better choices than Babin available.
That was when I made my first post here after lurking for years and trying to get in but my sign up was never answered. I commented that Casserly would be known as Asserly for that move to get Babin ( I still believe that). Of course I got neg rep for it... started in the hole :lol:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I haven't been around this forum that far back.
I moved to the US in 2016 and it took me a while to get it but once I understood most of the rules I was bitten by the gridiron bug.
I was mildly interested by the Texans because I am a loyalist, but my favorite team at the time was the Iggles.
Now Texans are and have been my team.
I still have a soft spot for the Iggles.😉
They looked good against Vikes the other night.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I haven't been around this forum that far back.
I moved to the US in 2016 and it took me a while to get it but once I understood most of the rules I was bitten by the gridiron bug.
I was mildly interested by the Texans because I am a loyalist, but my favorite team at the time was the Iggles.
Now Texans are and have been my team.
I still have a soft spot for the Iggles.😉
They looked good against Vikes the other night.
Edit - I have lived here since 2006.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
That was when I made my first post here after lurking for years and trying to get in but my sign up was never answered. I commented that Casserly would be known as Asserly for that move to get Babin ( I still believe that). Of course I got neg rep for it... started in the hole :lol:
I had to go look up when I signed onto this board, it was 2007. Can't believe I've been posting here that long. I'm sure most of that time I've spent bitching about the Texans, and I'm sure they deserved it. Or trolling people I didn't like in the NSZ who deserved it. I actually get along with most of them now, which doesn't mean they're not still wrong. Which they are. :)

vtech9

All Pro
I've been here since early on. I started out on the original MB, and then moved here after that one went to sh!t. Back in '08, several of us joined a football mmoprpg called Goal Line blitz. By 2013, I think most had left the game. I miss those times. I'm back playing it again, but it isn't the same without the other Texans fans to bs with.

Reactions: JB

banned1976

sleeper mode
My Texans fandom has waned and ebbed. I was in Minnesota when the Texans were formed. I got a lot of grief from my Packers and Vikings friends. But I wasn't near as enthusiastic about the Texans as I had been for the Oilers. Part of that was because I never got to watch them up there - I was in Duluth, MN from 2000 to 2010. That said, I did engage in fan boards. I was a member of the ESPN Texans fan board. I got banned a lot. Hince the name. I was younger and very drunk most of the time. Since I got sober, I've mellowed and rarely even respond when someone disagrees with any of my comments. Sobriety also brought along new interests and football has become very unimportant to me. I'm grateful for that. If the Texans win, cool. If they lose, whatever.

I'm also grateful for this message board. This is where I get about 95% of my Texans content. Maybe more. I don't listen to sports radio anymore. I don't have a subscription to the Houston newspaper. And I don't watch ESPN or the NFL network.

When (and I really do mean that) the Texans are good again, I'm sure I'll engage more. Until then, my contribution to this board will be slight. I can't really offer much of an opinion on the team if I don't watch them play.

texanhead08

All Pro
I always thought Casserly took apart that first secondary unit a year too early. Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman were a fine pair of CB's and the two safety positions were where the upgrades were needed. The idea that they would convert Coleman to FS was foolish. Sure you wanted to find replacements for Matt Stevens and Eric Brown but the players who were still on the board when Dunta Robinson was taken just make me sick to think about. Roethlisberger, Vilma, Wilfork, Harris... The list just goes on and on. So many needs for the team still and Casserly is giving away picks to a division opponent to take Jason Babin... WTF? Even if you concede that the 2004 draft was not deep there were still better choices than Babin available.

Worst part is Babin ended up being a good player once he got away from the Texans.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Man, I forgot about Vinny. What about the guy from Cut-n-Shoot. I think he passed several years ago too.
Was that threetoedpete?

I also miss Bill and Joe very much. They along with Kevin and Vinny/CnD built this MB into what it is today. Long live the blue crew. I failed to mention Dredhead.

vtech9

All Pro
Was that threetoedpete?

I also miss Bill and Joe very much. They along with Kevin and Vinny/CnD built this MB into what it is today. Long live the blue crew. I failed to mention Dredhead.
I remember the name threetoedpete, but heisn't the one I was thinking of. Was it JoeTexan?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I remember the name threetoedpete, but heisn't the one I was thinking of. Was it JoeTexan?
Joe Texan was from Houston I believe. If I'm wrong somebody please correct me. Joe and Bill made everybody feel welcome at the tailgates, along with Dan.

vtech9

All Pro
Hmmm...it bugs me. I grew up right around the corner from Cut-N-Shoot, and the first bar I ever went to was there. It bugs me that I can't remember the guys name. I never got to meet him, but wanted to.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Hmmm...it bugs me. I grew up right around the corner from Cut-N-Shoot, and the first bar I ever went to was there. It bugs me that I can't remember the guys name. I never got to meet him, but wanted to.
Maybe @Chance_C remembers, he's from Livingston and they were often posting about the same time