Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Telephoto

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Just out of curiosity. Those of you who take photos of the field while at games, what lenses are you using? & how far (in feet) are you from the field?

End Zone - 12 rows from field

My old Canon (non-DSLR) had an 800mm equivalent.

New Nikon using 18-200mm Zoom (insufficient really)

I know Andy (Bullpenphotos) is using at least a 500mm (from the 1st/2nd row of my section).

End Zone - 12 rows from field

My old Canon (non-DSLR) (Yeah, his "old Cannon - sucks!) :rolleyes: had an 800mm equivalent.

New Nikon using 18-200mm Zoom (insufficient really)

I know Andy (Bullpenphotos) is using at least a 500mm (from the 1st/2nd row of my section).

Dan takes fantastic shots ( but also, BullPenPhotos is awesome as well).

Dan and Andy are brilliant!!

Contact Andy here: http://www.texansbullpen.com/photo.htm

(Damnit DAN, where is your site?????):

Any difficulty getting a big lens like that by the stadium/security staff?

Per official policy, lenses under 12" are permitted. Andy took to bringing an piece of normal 8.5x11" paper with him to show his lens was under the limit.

Typically sideline photographers have a 400mm or a 500mm long lens and a 70-200mm for close up on two bodies. For pregame they might switch to a ultra wide for coin flips.

That is right on the sidelines though. So you will probably want something with a 500mm (35mm equiv) at least.

I was stopped from bringing my Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS into a Rockets game. The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM is tiny with diffractive optics (DO) but doesn't deliver as good of images.

If the only limit is length, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM might be an option.

I on'y brought my camera out to the game once. Brought my lens that zoomed out to 300mm. It worked fine, but I was sitting at club level which are great seats, but not exactly low enough to get what you want typically. I still got plenty of great shots, but had I been anywhere on the first level, I could have gotten some really sweet close ups. I plan on doing that next year. 300mm is enough if you are on the first row. 400mm and above would really be ideal.

I was stopped from bringing my Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS into a Rockets game. The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM is tiny with diffractive optics (DO) but doesn't deliver as good of images.

If the only limit is length, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM might be an option.

You were able to take good images inside Toyota Center zoomed out to 200mm with a f/4? I would have thought it would be too dark.

You were able to take good images inside Toyota Center zoomed out to 200mm with a f/4? I would have thought it would be too dark.

I was just saying I was stopped from bringing it in so anyone buying a lens that size would know not to take it into a Rockets game.

Besides the court being well lit, ISO 3200 is no problem with these new sensors. With image stabilization and ISO 3200 the images are great in low light also.

Back