Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tashaun Gipson Destined for Cut

beerlover

Hall of Fame
There is zero chance of finding a cover 1/3 single high free safety at this point in the offseason. That’s a dream. Those guys are the most desirable DBs on the market outside of true lockdown corners.

Outside of a massive trade, all you’re going to find are shallow zone robber safeties on the market, and we already have those.
Figured he was a goner and just another reason, besides BPA to select ANTOINE WINFIELD JR, safety Minnesota. Went to Bucs 5 picks later. Would have made a real dynamic duo with Reid.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Cutting Gipson (3years, $22M) after only one year, we totally forget the Texans also cut Aaron Colvin one year after signing him to a 4 years, $34M contract. Eric Murray and his 3 years, $20M contract is now on the clock.

You can't say the McNairs don't spend money, but you can definitely say the Texans have to improve on their DB evaluations.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Cutting Gipson (3years, $22M) after only one year, we totally forget the Texans also cut Aaron Colvin one year after signing him to a 4 years, $34M contract. Eric Murray and his 3 years, $20M contract is now on the clock.

You can't say the McNairs don't spend money, but you can definitely say the Texans have to improve on their DB evaluations.
Agreed

But the McNair's are cheap.

Other than 1 yr when have they ever been players in FA? I guess you could add Os to the list. But you get the point.

I really wonder what happened to Gipson? He must be hurt really bad.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I don't think Gipson was a bad evaluation. He played better than he did in JAX the season prior and the Texans gave him a very nice contract. I don't know what the issue is. Back? Wrist? WTF knows? I do know that I don't believe anything that comes out of Kirby. And we have nothing but manangement cheerleaders in the press. So we're just mushroom fans.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I don't think Gipson was a bad evaluation. He played better than he did in JAX the season prior and the Texans gave him a very nice contract. I don't know what the issue is. Back? Wrist? WTF knows? I do know that I don't believe anything that comes out of Kirby. And we have nothing but manangement cheerleaders in the press. So we're just mushroom fans.
Agree. I don't think Gipson was a bad signing. In fact, I don't agree with them cutting him. The observation was more about giving DBs these nice contracts and then cutting them after one year.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
McNairs are rich for a reason.
Daddy was rich for a reason.....yet to see how Cal played a part in any of that. The term "stupid rich" might come into play with Cal since he's achieved nothing based solely on his own efforts to date.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Signs of a definite lack of planning and direction.
I don't believe it's a lack of planning. Clearly people were talking about this when we signed Murray.

Poor planning, yes. Lack of planning, I'm not letting them slide.

I'll even add poor execution. I mean why wait until after the draft unless you were going to package him in a trade, or at least try to.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't believe it's a lack of planning. Clearly people were talking about this when we signed Murray.

I'll even add poor execution. I mean why wait until after the draft unless you were going to package him in a trade, or at least try to.
McClain said they were going to add another vet safety.

Anybody got a list of who's out there?

They must believe in Murray more than most of us do.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

In my mind, I have to believe they have a trade in mind, perhaps with McKinney as a bargaining chip?
I would like to get Eric Reid as a FA, but he and his brother are so similar I don't know if it would accomplish anything.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Looks like FA Safety Eric Reid may have just got moved up the ladder in regards to the Texans needs in the defensive backfield.

Can someone get OB some KY stat!!! I’m pretty certain he’s out by now and could be entertaining the idea of negotiating with another veteran. I’m sure Reid will get his man.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

This is unfortunate.

N one being willing to criticize them in the press while they blow smoke up the fans ass ….

We're destined for more of the same as long as this ownership group is here.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
In my mind, I have to believe they have a trade in mind, perhaps with McKinney as a bargaining chip?
I would like to get Eric Reid as a FA, but he and his brother are so similar I don't know if it would accomplish anything.
There's a reason E. Reid is still out there..............despite some decent tackle numbers, his atrocious coverage skills last year took me back to the days of P-burnt (although he was a CB)...............and few teams want to deal with the distractions that would come with him.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
There's a reason E. Reid is still out there..............despite some decent tackle numbers, his atrocious coverage skills last year took me back to the days of P-burnt (although he was a CB)...............and few teams want to deal with the distractions that would come with him.
I would be livid if the Texans passed on a player that could perform at a high level due to his political leanings. But, Eric Reid can't perform at anything close to a high level. So it's a non-issue.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Looks like we did have a safety on the roster that performed at a high level and his last name was not Reid.
There's also the question of who's covering whom. Still, I didn't see a problem with Gipson last season. He may not have made as many plays as the Honey Badger. But, he didn't bust as many coverages, either. Weren't we told it was medical issues that pushed Gipson off the roster? Did he clear the Bears physical? Did the Texans do a re-check on Gipson before the lockdown? Seems fishy to me.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
There's also the question of who's covering whom. Still, I didn't see a problem with Gipson last season. He may not have made as many plays as the Honey Badger. But, he didn't bust as many coverages, either. Weren't we told it was medical issues that pushed Gipson off the roster? Did he clear the Bears physical? Did the Texans do a re-check on Gipson before the lockdown? Seems fishy to me.
There is nothing fishy. There are no definitive rules for a team to clear or fail a physical following injuries. Each team applies their own criteria for the final decision. That is why you commonly see one team pick up and pass a player which has just been failed and released by another team. Bottom line, passing or failing a physical is not black and white. Failing doesn’t mean the player can’t play football. Most NFL players have injury history. It boils down to a matter of what a club will tolerate that determines whether a physical is passed.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
So, is it your understanding that Gipson's injuries were the only reasons for his release?
Mostly. The Texans deemed the result of his series of injuries (the wrist fracture that forced him to play most of the season with a full cast [unusual for a well-healing injury] and re-injured the last game, the hip injury, the transverse lumbar [back] fracture with it re-injury aggravation) which demonstrated healing that he accumulated throughout the season would follow him at least for another year. Now the Bears are saying that Gipson may require further medical testing.

His poor performance last season reflected his injuries.

1588806911932.png

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Mostly. The Texans deemed the result of his series of injuries (the wrist fracture that forced him to play most of the season with a full cast [unusual for a well-healing injury] and re-injured the last game, the hip injury, the transverse lumbar [back] fracture with it re-injury aggravation) which demonstrated healing that he accumulated throughout the season would follow him at least for another year. Now the Bears are saying that Gipson may require further medical testing.

His poor performance last season reflected his injuries.

View attachment 6038
I guess those numbers are from PFF. Different from what is shown on pro-football-reference.com.

Gipson.JPG
73% completion % against is much different than 54% against. 55.0 passer rating against is outstanding. Still, a guy that's entering age 30, with numerous injuries, that could be in line for regression? I can see cutting him loose.

My issue is, the Texans signed Gipson coming off a crap season knowing he would hit 30 in year 2 of his deal. If I'm giving them credit for removing a potential liability, I have to bash them twice as hard for making the deal in the first place.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I guess those numbers are from PFF. Different from what is shown on pro-football-reference.com.

View attachment 6039
73% completion % against is much different than 54% against. 55.0 passer rating against is outstanding. Still, a guy that's entering age 30, with numerous injuries, that could be in line for regression? I can see cutting him loose.

My issue is, the Texans signed Gipson coming off a crap season knowing he would hit 30 in year 2 of his deal. If I'm giving them credit for removing a potential liability, I have to bash them twice as hard for making the deal in the first place.
Dude got hurt, it happens.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

View attachment 6039

Gipson had a PFF grade of 90 in 2017 and 70.7 in 2018. After having somewhat of a drop from 2017 to 2018, it would not necessarily be faulty reasoning that he could bounce back to 2017 form in 2019..........but injuries led to his poor performance last year...........something that could not have been predicted since Gipson was essentially injury free in his career up to coming to the Texans. Bashing anyone for making the deal in the first place would have to assume that someone had not used their clairvoyant powers.

So the Texans will be paying Gipson $3.25 million to play for the Bears.

Link
Wonder if his contract prevented a trade for any kind of pick to get relieved from that dead money? Even if they had to eat some of the money, why not get at least a 6th rd pick or something...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wonder if his contract prevented a trade for any kind of pick to get relieved from that dead money? Even if they had to eat some of the money, why not get at least a 6th rd pick or something...
It did, they overpaid for Gipson and he got hurt.