Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tashaun Gipson Destined for Cut

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
But Why!?

It makes sense, now, why they keep signing other safeties (Murray, Watkins, & Thomas)... but Gipson was a solid starter and good in coverage. We missed him ALOT in that KC game. I'd rather have Gipson than any of those other three safeties.
Agreed, unless they have another acquisition in mind. (Eric Reid)

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Keep in mind it was a questionable coaching decision that led to Gipson getting hurt or aggravating an injury in a meaningless week 17 game, I don't get this move.

The guy played through a painful transverse process fracture in his lower back, played hard and in 14 games had 51 total tackles, eight pass deflections, three interceptions and a touchdown. Unless, he was not recovering from the injury, I don't get the move.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Two reasons for this move as I see it..............$4 million cap savings..............fractured wrist (scaphoid as I found out) the very end of the season would require ~3 months from January to return to play. It appears that in October is when the stress fracture was missed..........at that time, he was placed on the Injury Report, but it was believed to only be a significant wrist strain. The stress fracture ended up being turned into a completed and displaced fracture in week 17, now with the fear of nonunion, his return to play could very well be longer.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Keep in mind it was a questionable coaching decision that led to Gipson getting hurt or aggravating an injury in a meaningless week 17 game, I don't get this move.

The guy played through a painful transverse process fracture in his lower back, played hard and in 14 games had 51 total tackles, eight pass deflections, three interceptions and a touchdown. Unless, he was not recovering from the injury, I don't get the move.
With rest after the season was over, the transverse fracture should have allowed for solid healing within 8 weeks. Transverse back fractures seldom evolve into long-term concern. His wrist fracture was the factor (see above).

bah007

Hall of Fame
Murray was obviously signed to take Gipson’s place. His contract is nearly identical to the one Gipson signed when he arrived here. You can argue the wisdom of that move but the writing has been on the wall ever since Murray signed.

I doubt we see anymore additions in the secondary unless it’s a veteran that gets cut later in the offseason.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Two reasons for this move as I see it..............$4 million cap savings..............fractured wrist (scaphoid as I found out) the very end of the season would require ~3 months from January to return to play. It appears that in October is when the stress fracture was missed..........at that time, he was placed on the Injury Report, but it was believed to only be a significant wrist strain. The stress fracture ended up being turned into a completed and displaced fracture in week 17, now with the fear of nonunion, his return to play could very well be longer.
Injury concerns is the only thing that would make sense.

The savings of 3.25 mil is minimal and would be an inappropriate lack of planning.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am waiting for the "and that's the rest of the story". Knowing he was going to do this and not drafting safety means Coach is okay with what he has. How that works out is anyone's guess.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Tony Jefferson is an option for the Texans? I thought Eric Reid was laughable. Jefferson only played 5 games before going on IR with a knee injury. He allowed 8 completions in those 5 games. For 30 ypc. 17 YAC per completion. Speed was never Jefferson's calling card. Now, he can't catch a member of the chain crew.

Is the Texans pro personnel guy (I have no idea who gets that title in this oh so flat organization) going off 2016 tapes? I don't care if ex-Browns 3rd stringer Eric Murray allowed 65% completions and missed 25% of his tackles. He's still better than these has beens.

PapaL

Loose Screw
How y’all figure there’s a savings when we’re carrying dead money on that contract? We paid him $11M guaranteed last year.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How y’all figure there’s a savings when we’re carrying dead money on that contract? We paid him $11M guaranteed last year.
Let's say we were going to pay him $12M to play this year. However we cut him like we did. $7M of that $12 was guaranteed. He gets that, it counts against our cap, dead money.

But we save $5M we can spend elsewhere.

All in all, this has been a bad outcome. From the point of signing to the release, the totality of it all is just bad. The play of the player, the injury (or injuries), the cut now, the salary impact etc, just reeks of a stain on the organization. Sometimes FAs work out and sometimes they don't but considering the state of the Texans, there is no way you can absolve OB. He has to go for better or worse, its Super Bowl or bust...

PapaL

Loose Screw
Let's say we were going to pay him $12M to play this year. However we cut him like we did. $7M of that $12 was guaranteed. He gets that, it counts against our cap, dead money.

But we save $5M we can spend elsewhere.
Aren’t we still on the hook for the $4m dead from his guarantee this season? Serious question. Not bickering here. We paid half his contract last year. We knew he was gonna be this old this season so that’s not a surprise. The move doesn’t make sense to me since we still have to pay his replacement.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Aren’t we still on the hook for the $4m dead from his guarantee this season? Serious question. Not bickering here. We paid half his contract last year. We knew he was gonna be this old this season so that’s not a surprise. The move doesn’t make sense to me since we still have to pay his replacement.
Yes, we are on the hook for $4.25 mil dead money, but I think we owed him a little more than $7 mil this season. So I guess in reality it "saves" around $3 mil.

texan279

Hall of Fame
The move creates $3.2 million in cap space and leaves $4.25 million in dead money, per Over The Cap.

texan279

Hall of Fame
I'm sure everyone here knows ten times more than I do about contracts and cap space, so my question is, if this was because of "injury", wouldn't there be some sort of release with an "injury settlement"? Or does it depend on each specific contract/situation?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Aren’t we still on the hook for the $4m dead from his guarantee this season?
In Gipson’s case, yeah. It’s like a million guaranteed salary plus a portion of the signing bonus. Subtract that from his 2020 cap hit & there’s some savings.

No it doesn’t make sense to sign him to such a contract, then cut him a year later. I don’t know that we’re that strapped for cash.

One theory is that his relationship with the Texans (O’Brien) soured because of the way his injury was handled at the end of the year.

But I don’t know.

PapaL

Loose Screw

texan279

Hall of Fame
In Gipson’s case, yeah. It’s like a million guaranteed salary plus a portion of the signing bonus. Subtract that from his 2020 cap hit & there’s some savings.

No it doesn’t make sense to sign him to such a contract, then cut him a year later. I don’t know that we’re that strapped for cash.

One theory is that his relationship with the Texans (O’Brien) soured because of the way his injury was handled at the end of the year.

But I don’t know.
Maybe he said something bad about Mrs. BOB's casserole?

texan279

Hall of Fame
Correct my issue lays in we paid half up front, cut him 1/3 into his contract, and we don’t have a replacement. Unless one of these FA’s is taking less than $3.2 for this season alone, I don’t see how we’re saving anything.
I'm with you. I don't understand almost anything BOB does. I see what you're saying though, we have to pay his replacement, so they really aren't "saving" anything.

PapaL

Loose Screw
I'm with you. I don't understand almost anything BOB does. I see what you're saying though, we have to pay his replacement, so they really aren't "saving" anything.
Right now we’re down a legit starter. Before injury dude was legit. But hey we have $3.2M to replace the guy we paid $11M for so maybe I’m jumping the gun.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
I did miss that. I stopped following them. I don’t even know why I’m sucked back in. I want to like this team and I want them to be successful. I just don’t honestly see it.
One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
The great what if of had Gipson been healthy, he’d have been our best chance of slowing Kelce somewhat.

Now because of just how free Kelce was to roam (despite being banged up during the game) was what opened the floodgates during that game.

Who can tell if it would have been enough, but damn, you just let go the one piece who’s strength match up against the weakness that got exploited when it mattered.

Weaver brings a different defensive philosophy to what we’ve seen, maybe prefers different types of safety, maybe the injury is going to slow Gipson next year.

All things considered, this was a terrible signing and we could probably have kept Kareem instead.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

Gipson played admirably during his time here, locking down tight ends and playing single high safety in our Cover 1 heavy scheme. He dealt with some lingering injuries throughout the year, and it was a very questionable decision, even at the time, for Bill O’Brien to play Gipson in the final regular season game against the Tennessee Titans. We later learned that Gipson re-aggravated a back injury in that meaningless regular season game, which landed him on Injured Reserve and ended his season before the NFL Playoffs began.

Eric Reid, Justin Reid’s brother, is a favourite speculated target. My issue with E. Reid is that he’s purely a box safety. Justin Reid is at his best when he’s in the box, closer to the action, where the Texans can put his great tackling to use. I’d like to see the Texans sign a safety who can play single high, which would allow Anthony Weaver to keep Justin Reid in the box.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Gipson played admirably during his time here, locking down tight ends and playing single high safety in our Cover 1 heavy scheme. He dealt with some lingering injuries throughout the year, and it was a very questionable decision, even at the time, for Bill O’Brien to play Gipson in the final regular season game against the Tennessee Titans. We later learned that Gipson re-aggravated a back injury in that meaningless regular season game, which landed him on Injured Reserve and ended his season before the NFL Playoffs began.
Hindsight is 20/20 and I know a player can get hurt at any time. However, when I saw Gipson playing in that final game, I wondered what is going on with the decision making of that coaching staff. Gipson was signed to defend TEs. To get to the AFCCG, the Texans would have to face Kelce or the Ravens' TEs. So, why play him in a meaningless week 17 game? He should have been on the sidelines with Hopkins and Watson.

This is why I have no issues with players wanting more money. Gipson got hurt, missed two games and probably played multiple games in pain and even though he was the most consistent DB on the roster, he still got cut.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Tashaun-Gipson-back-injury-recovering-14867790.php

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Hindsight is 20/20 and I know a player can get hurt at any time. However, when I saw Gipson playing in that final game, I wondered what is going on with the decision making of that coaching staff. Gipson was signed to defend TEs. To get to the AFCCG, the Texans would have to face Kelce or the Ravens' TEs. So, why play him in a meaningless week 17 game? He should have been on the sidelines with Hopkins and Watson.

This is why I have no issues with players wanting more money. Gipson got hurt, missed two games and probably played multiple games in pain and even though he was the most consistent DB on the roster, he still got cut.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Tashaun-Gipson-back-injury-recovering-14867790.php
I can't argue there, he should not have been that game.

bah007

Hall of Fame
There is zero chance of finding a cover 1/3 single high free safety at this point in the offseason. That’s a dream. Those guys are the most desirable DBs on the market outside of true lockdown corners.

Outside of a massive trade, all you’re going to find are shallow zone robber safeties on the market, and we already have those.