Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the WC WIN!

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I wasn't going to respond to your posts until you made it a point to use my post (below in response to steelbtexan's suggestion) to attempt to defend the defense of YOUR "propaganda." It is quite evident that you missed or chose to ignore the most important point in my post.

"The problem with RUN DESHAUN RUN is...........

View attachment 5326

..............you never know what chocolate in the box of life Deshaun ends up with............1st down, little gain, TD, INT, sack or injury................but with his erratic decision-making up to now, there are more negative than positive chocolates in the box to choose from."

No one who would honestly evaluate Watson's overall performance up to now would not include that his decision-making is all too often questionable.
you choose to see what you want. I dont see erratic. I see magic. So sit there and be grumpy for the next 10 years or go be a cowboy fan. its simple.

dang never thought i'd do it. sucks now i have to look up my own injury reports. sigh. ignored.

Uncle Rico

anyone else that hates my takes and wants to be ignored to prevent themselves from the hopelessly pessimistic OBrien quips and Watson fanboy posts? respond here and i'll make your dreams come true.

too bad we cant ignore MODS that would help me immensely.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
anyone else that hates my takes and wants to be ignored to prevent themselves from the hopelessly pessimistic OBrien quips and Watson fanboy posts? respond here and i'll make your dreams come true.

too bad we cant ignore MODS that would help me immensely.
You have options...

If you're going to ignore everyone that disagrees with you, why come here? You're not forced

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
you choose to see what you want. I dont see erratic. I see magic. So sit there and be grumpy for the next 10 years or go be a cowboy fan. its simple.

dang never thought i'd do it. sucks now i have to look up my own injury reports. sigh. ignored.
You should PM Hookem Horns & ask him what you need to do to start your own MB.

Then you can tell people what they can & can not talk about.

Uncle Rico

You do know BO'b is not the one who says, "Hike!!!" right? I don't know the extent to which Watson can change plays, but I know he makes adjustments on every one. Sometimes it's just the protection, but other times he's telling the receivers to do something other than what they were told in the huddle.

Watch him before the snap, he's communicating with everyone.
dude you said you watched the game over again already. OPEN YOUR EYES. where are the open routes in the first 3 quarters? You guys see a guy streaking and assume the pass should go to him, and dont even understand how a progression works and how NOT EVERY SINGLE GUY IN A PASS PLAY IS INTENDED FOR THE BALL!!! The pass plays take forever to develop THEN Watson can start the progression and hopefully create a net positive. This is a systemic problem that you guys are laying at the feet of Watson.

Watson finds guys like Taiwan who were probably the LAST GUY who was supposed to get the ball because HE HAS TO play Madden out there. Buffalo was all over the Houston gameplan. It wasnt until the team (WATSON) decided that enough was enough and created everything off script or ran plays that probably werent even in the gameplan to begin with and THAT was what worked? LOL Watch this Sunday he'll do it again, and Watson will somehow have to overcome. And the MARVELOUS fans we have on this site want to create cute memes about running styles and why he isnt a better pocket passer. Watson is trying to be the QB OBrien wants him to be, but its a bad offense. Name me a QB who could come in here and run it how you guys want it ran. Apparently he would be the FIRST QB to grasp this revolutionary, game changing offensive "system"

And in the end so what if Watson makes all the right calls reads, assignments if his 1st target falls on the play? or the LT jumps offsides when you had the perfect play called. Or guys just dont catch balls. theres 10 fires to put out on every play. the offensive line is STILL pathetic. Using TEs as extra blockers when they cant block is insanity. Is a revolving door of incompetence.

this is the twilight zone man. everywhere else in the country Watson is being celebrated and here by his very own fans he gets torn down. Unbelievable. Im the one throwing around propaganda when i present factoids, and relevant statistical data. When i offer up neutral takes from some of the very own analysts some of these Watson Haters like to use, and all that is just conveniently ignored so that these boomers can continue their idiotic crusade vs Deshaun. Sad. Sad. Sad.

Uncle Rico

How many people make up the buttchin brigade ? I can only think of …. One.
Doc, Steel, both Tex guys, TK, .. I guess the better question to ask would be the Watson Haters Club or the Buttchin Brigade because the players tend to change to fit the cherry picked narrative of the day.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

I am honored to be placed on this "list." Anyone that finds the need to put so many on "ignore" appears to want to only have dialogue with a mirror. I, like many here, often do not feel that takes by others on many subjects coincide with our own, or may even be valid. But we do not find the need to compile a laundry list to close our minds to outside contrary views..........which in at least some cases may allow us to reconsider our outlook. It is sad that for some, the mirror is not used more appropriately for the constructive purpose of self-reflection.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Yes.

At the same time, Watson is showing real progress playing from the pocket, progress he may not develop if BO'b allowed him to play sandlot football.

When the OL does their job, it's cake. Watson can study the field & deliver a strike.

When the OL does their job & the route combination presents quick, easy targets, it's euphoric. Ball comes out quick, chains move, everything is everything.

We've seen it happen. So we know it can. We just haven't seen the consistency we know we need to see to win it all.

BO'b & Watson need to figure out how to mesh both methodologies to get the most out of Watson & the Texans.

But now is not the time for that. Now BO'b needs to take a step back & get the most out of Watson. Attack the edges, put them on their heels, keep them guessing for 60 minutes.

But next season it would be nice not to see a major overhaul on the OL, or the backfield. It would be nice to build on what we have.
Sure , when everything goes perfectly as planned , it works! When the OL blocks perfectly and the WR's gain separation …. Watson can sit back and pick a target - hell so could you under those circumstances.

But really , at the highest level , when the other guys are great football players too - how often does everything go as planned ?! Not very often ….

You've stumbled onto something here in getting the best out of Watson and meshing the two methodologies -
My point of attacking the edges doesn't mean it has to occur on every play or even a large percentage of plays , it just has to happen on enough plays that the defense has to honor the threat and once you've established that threat …. the rest of your playbook opens up , even that run between the tackles is more effective when that DE / OLB cant pinch inside or crash down the line with reckless abandon when he has to respect the outside threat.

Part of this is about predictability as well as managing down and distance , staying out of 2nd / 3rd and long obvious passing situations …. that 1st down run up Nick Martin's backside has to be limited. 2nd and 9 sucks ass and makes you predictable.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
dude you said you watched the game over again already. OPEN YOUR EYES. where are the open routes in the first 3 quarters? You guys see a guy streaking and assume the pass should go to him, and dont even understand how a progression works and how NOT EVERY SINGLE GUY IN A PASS PLAY IS INTENDED FOR THE BALL!!! The pass plays take forever to develop THEN Watson can start the progression and hopefully create a net positive. This is a systemic problem that you guys are laying at the feet of Watson.

Watson finds guys like Taiwan who were probably the LAST GUY who was supposed to get the ball because HE HAS TO play Madden out there. Buffalo was all over the Houston gameplan. It wasnt until the team (WATSON) decided that enough was enough and created everything off script or ran plays that probably werent even in the gameplan to begin with and THAT was what worked? LOL Watch this Sunday he'll do it again, and Watson will somehow have to overcome. And the MARVELOUS fans we have on this site want to create cute memes about running styles and why he isnt a better pocket passer. Watson is trying to be the QB OBrien wants him to be, but its a bad offense. Name me a QB who could come in here and run it how you guys want it ran. Apparently he would be the FIRST QB to grasp this revolutionary, game changing offensive "system"

And in the end so what if Watson makes all the right calls reads, assignments if his 1st target falls on the play? or the LT jumps offsides when you had the perfect play called. Or guys just dont catch balls. theres 10 fires to put out on every play. the offensive line is STILL pathetic. Using TEs as extra blockers when they cant block is insanity. Is a revolving door of incompetence.

this is the twilight zone man. everywhere else in the country Watson is being celebrated and here by his very own fans he gets torn down. Unbelievable. Im the one throwing around propaganda when i present factoids, and relevant statistical data. When i offer up neutral takes from some of the very own analysts some of these Watson Haters like to use, and all that is just conveniently ignored so that these boomers can continue their idiotic crusade vs Deshaun. Sad. Sad. Sad.
TLDR

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Doc, Steel, both Tex guys, TK, .. I guess the better question to ask would be the Watson Haters Club or the Buttchin Brigade because the players tend to change to fit the cherry picked narrative of the day.

I'm certainly not a fan of BOB and agree with you about letting him get out of the pocket/Run Deshaun Run more.

I just happen to think BOB's an avg HC.

Is it possible to be anti DW4 and Anti BOB?

I guess not in some posters eyes.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Not at all

Look at this thread as an example
I am mainly talking about the emotional reactions that y’all bring out in posters. You are definitely not as emotional in your posts as he is. Not do you bait people for reply’s.

I don’t mind your posts at all. I tend to agree with you on certain things, and disagree on others. Which I believe is one of the purposes of this board. Get other people’s perspectives/opinions on a variety of topics.

Sorry if I ever offended you. My posts are meant to be humorous first.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
UR, you are starting to go overboard in my view. You have sound football takes and share great data. Don't take that DW4 maybe has happy feet or misses a read on 2 out of 8 plays as nuthuggers. Most of us see BOB failings (and some strengths) and love DW4, I know I don't want to go back to the other non QB days. Secondly, he is in year 2.5, so I do think he is on a super pace to be an all timer and because he is so good some games people forget how young he is. That does not stop me from seeing a few what the hell was that plays. I also think young QBs are helped by stability, so I would NOT change his system and coach as he seems happy, but work with him more and get him on the edge more etc within the offense he is now accustomed too. Stay around UR, but breathe! There does not need to be such black and white as for their successes and failings the coach and QB are both at fault or to rave about, just hard to put the % on it, well the Taiwan play was 100% on DW4 for praise

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why because some of us don’t agree with your constant bashing and extremely outlandish expectations.

yeah it’s the Houston Watson

smh
What does this have to do with my thinking the Texans cant win a championship with DW4?

As much as you and UR think they're the Houston Watson's, they are actually the Houston Texans and there's praise/blame to be shared by all of them as an org from Cal down to the waterboy.

I will start with praise of DW4. He made a great run for that TD and the play he made on the pass to Jones was an amazing play. BOB going for 2 and having 2 plays that worked (Many teams dont even have 1) on the 2 pt conversions was also a big difference in winning that game.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I take all opinions here with a grain of salt. People who have wildly varying opinions than mine, that’s cool. Life would be boring as hell if we all thought the same.

I think it becomes more than just having an unpopular opinion when it’s restated over and over again. At that point, what IS the point?

Too many people belaboring the same crap on this board the last few months. It’s stale; and fresh ideas/thoughts/discussions are being lost in the shuffle or not even written because people know whatever they have to say will be ignored in favor of the persistent bickering by the loud few who crave the attention.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I take all opinions here with a grain of salt. People who have wildly varying opinions than mine, that’s cool. Life would be boring as hell if we all thought the same.

I think it becomes more than just having an unpopular opinion when it’s restated over and over again. At that point, what IS the point?

Too many people belaboring the same crap on this board the last few months. It’s stale; and fresh ideas/thoughts/discussions are being lost in the shuffle or not even written because people know whatever they have to say will be ignored in favor of the persistent bickering by the loud few who crave the attention.
Forgive me. I didn’t get enough hugs growing up.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I was wondering when someone was going to get around to that. Well played, well played.

You're probably more right than me.

The fact of the matter is we now have someone under Center, someone who touches the ball on every play to do for the offense what Watt does for the defense.

I love Aj, & Nuk is even better. Arian had that trait in him, but this is a QB driven league.

txtx

Waterboy
I don't know if my heart can be entertained like that often... I'm not the 25 yr old sailor with the 20 peso a night bar girl anymore
Yeah, it was 3 1/2 hours of cardio for me sitting and watching!

Reactions: JB

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I got the Watson guys calling me Buttchin Brigade, I got the O'Brien guys calling me hater.

I can live with that.

There are O'Brien guys ? I thought they were extinct.

Thing is , people seem to think you cant criticize or praise either of them without hating on the other …. Its crazy.
OB's a mediocre coach and Watson's a pretty good QB - Neither one is perfect.

Problem is that OB's failings as a coach directly impact how Watson performs.

You just wish he would do what he did in the 3rd / 4th quarters this past week …. in the 1st for the entire game instead of waiting until they are down double digits.

BwhiteshoesJ

Waterboy
An interesting fact - weird how the 4th seed is so much higher than the 3rd seed:

Teams with a first-round bye have made the Super Bowl 79.3% of the time.
Super Bowl Participants By Seed (Since 1990)Percentage
1 seed51.7%
2 seed27.6%
3 seed3.4%
4 seed12.1%
5 seed1.7%
6 seed3.4%
variables and context.. in the history of the Oilers and Texans.. they fail. doesnt matter how ,when, where, why, they fail.
and now 2 Houston football teams have lost two away playoff games.. having lead by 21 and 28 points

BwhiteshoesJ

Waterboy
the fact is the Texans had to go to overtime to win at home. That makes Texans far weaker than Ravens or Chiefs.
theres a chance Texans might win this game. But its a cold hard Given that they arent going to SB. And.. even if they do go to SB.. which I highly Doubt. Theres no chance in hell they win that game. The Texans have a decent Defense but they get lucky in spurts on offense. They have no consistency and thats why theyre a wildcard team. whether its the playoffs or the SB. the disappointment is coming. If youre an adult whos actually paid attention while watching sports for years. You absolutely know I am correct. Saying "anything can happen" is a bunch of childish malarky.
just call me god.. youre welcome