Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Jags game.

While it was most definitely a Jags home game...unlike Mexico City, fans weren’t so egregiously outnumbered.

I’d honestly never seen so many different team jerseys outside of a sports store. My tube ride in, I had two Jaguars, Three Texans, two Seahawks, a Patriots, a Vikings, a Colts...and a Bobby Boucher Jersey topped with a Dolphins cap. It was surreal.

The fans were cordial and friendly. No bad blood to be seen.

Pregame had Maurice Jones Drew predicting a 44-7 Jags win on the sideline in front of me. I wasn’t the only one who laughed heartily at that.

The funniest moment was when they brought out a European Golfing legend, and when asked what his favorite team was... he said the Cowboys. He was roundly booed by 99.9% of the crowd. It was hilarious.

Watson had fans in love with him from the first series. Nobody could believe in person what they’d seen on TV with his escapability. A lot of English versions of “how in the hell did he get out of that” were heard repeatedly.

RAC’s defense has me nervous repeatedly (especially with all the 3rd and long conversions), but held it together when needed to. Even I laughed at JJo getting trucked though.

The final sequence with multiple interceptions and fumbles was one of the biggest “wheels have come off” things I’ve ever witnessed.

The Jags defense without Ramsey is highly suspect. The fact that we weren’t keeping in anybody extra to protect on the line was nice to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOUSTON TEXANS
Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson continued his stellar season with a strong game against the Jaguars. Watson did not take many risks in this game, but he kept making good decisions be that either with his arm or with his legs.
While Carlos Hyde‘s performance will be remembered for his fumble at the goal line at the end of a long run in the fourth quarter, he had a solid game against his former team. Hyde was a big-play threat throughout the game, as he had multiple runs of more than 40 yards.
Cornerback Gareon Conley had one of the best games of his career, as he showed what the Texans expected from him when they traded for him two weeks ago. Conley had multiple pass breakups, including a big play against Jaguars wide receiver Chris Conley on a fourth-down pass attempt late in the game.
Although linebacker Bernardrick McKinney was credited with just three tackles on the day, he was all over the field and made his impact felt both in pass coverage and run defense

I thought Garreon played Zone better than he did man in all honesty. RAC rolled out a gem of a gameplan and Conley fit right in. Good to see. He will have to be "VERSATILE" to stay on this roster! Keep getting better!

Now they need to show the same preparation, execution and hopefully result versus a true contender in Baltimore coming off the bye week. Beating up on scrubs is cool, but beating winners is where you make your name.

I sat behind a Texans fan from Ireland. He said he was a Deshaun Watson fan first and said he'd root for whichever NFL team drafted him. I was actually surprised how much he knew about the team. He was surprised by Howard's progress, discussed Conley and the secondary.

Next to him were two locals rooting for the Jags. They didn't seem like big fans, though. The Irish guy was giving them a hard time the whole game, but all in good fun.

If I could just have the last 4:39 of that game on a video loop, I would thoroughly enjoy that. That was the most comedic sequence of events starting with the long Hyde run/fumble....and then it just became hilarious.

I fully expected the game to be closer given I wasn't sure which Texans were going to show up.....but that was a breath of fresh air that I needed early on a Sunday.

My take-aways:

1. We handled our business well in a tough environment
2. Makeshift secondary held up. Conley might be a steal.
3. Jax are not a good team
4. DW4 sells the fake hand-off really well during play-action
5. Although they worked well on Sunday, these DW4 hero throws while being dragged to the ground make me very nervous
6. I don't think we're actual contenders, but NO ONE will relish playing us

After witnessing it for myself, im all aboard the Jesusincleats4 bandwagon. Do fear an injury but its clear as day to me that that is Watson's game and he can be special playing that way.

D gave Minshew enough rope to hang himself with. There were some chunk yardage plays available but once the clock started ticking faster in the 4th quarter he fell to pieces, and the D was in the right place to pick up the pieces.

Secondary looked better without JoJoe it has to be said.

Carlos Hyde had a ridiculous game. Gutted about the fumble into the endzone. Thats a bad rule in my book.

Texans fans are a credit. Was an excellent atmosphere and great to hang out at the tailgate!

After witnessing it for myself, im all aboard the Jesusincleats4 bandwagon. Do fear an injury but its clear as day to me that that is Watson's game and he can be special playing that way.

D gave Minshew enough rope to hang himself with. There were some chunk yardage plays available but once the clock started ticking faster in the 4th quarter he fell to pieces, and the D was in the right place to pick up the pieces.

Secondary looked better without JoJoe it has to be said.

Carlos Hyde had a ridiculous game. Gutted about the fumble into the endzone. Thats a bad rule in my book.

Texans fans are a credit. Was an excellent atmosphere and great to hang out at the tailgate!

Curious, did you get to meet other UK Texans fans? Do the Texans even have a following over there?

I sat behind a Texans fan from Ireland. He said he was a Deshaun Watson fan first and said he'd root for whichever NFL team drafted him. I was actually surprised how much he knew about the team. He was surprised by Howard's progress, discussed Conley and the secondary.

Next to him were two locals rooting for the Jags. They didn't seem like big fans, though. The Irish guy was giving them a hard time the whole game, but all in good fun.

Irish guy would have given the two London locals a hard time no matter what the subject was and I say that as half Irish.

Curious, did you get to meet other UK Texans fans? Do the Texans even have a following over there?
There seemed to be plenty of other fans dotted around. I think a lot of UK NFL fans just pick a team for arbtary reasons, i see Texans gear around rarely.

The sport is pretty big over here these days. Id think the Texans are one of the lesser supported teams though overall. The likes of the Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Giants tend to have a much bigger following due to recent/historic success.

This was a relatively big trip for my partner and I as we are foster carers enjoying a very rare child-free weekend so we spent most of our time sightseeing and went to see Wicked also on Saturday. It was amazing how many Texans fans travelled, i saw many more Houstonians than American Jags fans (although a lot of the fans in the stadium defaulted to the 'home' team).

As such, didnt spend much time interacting with other fans until game day when we were swept up by the Travelling Texans at the Tailgate. Met these awesome 'Mayhem' wrestling guys amongst many others.

Fumbling into end zone and the other team recovering for a touchback?? What's bad rule about that?
Actually watching back through the highlights and I think the beer had got the better of me by that point in the game! You are correct!

Takeaways....
Good...
1) #4 is special, please Oline, do everything in your power to keep him healthy.
2) Duke getting in the passing game. This is what you drafted him for, OB. Continue this.
3) The running game. How about Duke with the TRUCK on that poor fool?! Just awesome. That's the attitude this team needs to adopt. Especially the next 3 games.
4) Secondary. What a game it played. Good job by RC.

Bad
1) The blocked EP, shouldn't happen.
2) OB's clock management. Still not good.
3) Penalties. Killed some drives and cost the team points. Can't have that.

Overall, I've been waiting for a game like this where the Texans just come out and kick someones butt!

There seemed to be plenty of other fans dotted around. I think a lot of UK NFL fans just pick a team for arbtary reasons, i see Texans gear around rarely.

The sport is pretty big over here these days. Id think the Texans are one of the lesser supported teams though overall. The likes of the Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Giants tend to have a much bigger following due to recent/historic success.

This was a relatively big trip for my partner and I as we are foster carers enjoying a very rare child-free weekend so we spent most of our time sightseeing and went to see Wicked also on Saturday. It was amazing how many Texans fans travelled, i saw many more Houstonians than American Jags fans (although a lot of the fans in the stadium defaulted to the 'home' team).

As such, didnt spend much time interacting with other fans until game day when we were swept up by the Travelling Texans at the Tailgate. Met these awesome 'Mayhem' wrestling guys amongst many others.

I was in Ireland last month and was surprised by how knowledgeable some were about NFL players. A bartender in Dublin ran a fantasy league with patrons at his pub, so he went through my fantasy teams to talk about each player.

Not surprised the UK fans are embracing east coast teams. I can't imagine them being loyal to the Jags considering their only exposure to them has been during mostly terrible seasons. I wonder how many actually warm up to them as the home team.

Back