Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Jags game.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Texans looking good with some key players out on IR. I think they are so used to playing with different personnel so often that they have gotten know each other anyway. The other side of that is that the backups have plenty of snaps to get used to the play calls.
Seemed to me that Minshew was getting plenty of time in the pocket and I am not sure if their oline was winning the battle and nullifying our pass rush or if our pass rush was just non existent.
Nice to see our running game return. Hyde and Johnson both making great contributions.
Watson is maturing in leaps and bounds with his passing game getting the ball out quickly.
Texans won the ToP game which is pleasing - not so pleasing were the early penalties. Wish they could clean up that aspect of their game, especially when you are already handicapped with injuries.
Defense played well all game but lit them up late in the last quarter with two ints and a strip fumble recovery.
And what about that last 5 minutes of game time?
And a game that was not hard on the old pumper!
I'll open it up.

It was great for a blowout W. I was never worried at any point even with the slow 1st half it never felt like Jags were in it.

B'OB called a great game
It's always great to see a running game going
We need to throw to Duke more
Watson continues to do Watson things
RAC gets the game ball for having the D ready and holding Jags to 3 points
Perfect way to head into the bye, we need to heal up and get some bodies back badly as we are going into a very tough stretch

Overall, I'm happy and it isn't even noon

DanielTx

Veteran
Rc did a good job at confusing minshew. You’d think the texan players were gardeners the way they kept planting that guy into the ground. Loved the way the defense performed today. Ob wasn’t to bad I guess. Hopkins, Hyde and duke played a great game. Watson being Watson, I think he’s the best player in the afc right now. Overall great team effort. Glad we have a bye

Bugman7star

All Pro
This was a game where many "experts" predicted a loss for us due to injuries and Minshew Mania. Our players and coaches were ready. Guys on a thin defense stepped up big time. Offense executed well. Even ST was clean. That is how you win. Great effort by a resilient squad.

Penalties are still an issue, but that is always going to be tough considering officiating nowadays is so inconsistent and crappy.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’m not surprised by this game. I expected the Texans to win big, even with the injuries on defense. The Jaguars are a bad, dysfunctional football team right now. They are fighting amongst themselves - probably more than the little bit we saw today.

I’m happy the Texans won. The bye week will help them. If they can beat the Patriots and Colts they might have something going.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Joseph is old, slow and injured. He will be on many Fournette highlights for getting ran over. But with his neck and shoulder injuries, his willingness to come up and tackle and throw his body around is admirable. He is as competitive and tough as any player on the roster.

Texansballer74

The Marine
With this team hampered with injuries the coaching staff put together a great offensive and defensive game plan. The players responded by executing those plans at the highest level.

Great freaking win and darn good job all around.

The biggest surprise was, even with very minimal pressure to the opposing QB. Our secondary played some stout coverage. Very impressive .

Watson continues to show his doubters that he's the real deal.

Bill O'Brien play calling was a thing of beauty. Great mixture of plays.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Great play calling and execution.

Watson/Hyde/Duke came up big.

The OL played very well despite having banged up OT's. Rod Jo and Howard played well at far less than 100%. Clark played better than I thought he could.

Loved all of the misdirection in the Clemson offense.

Defense came up huge. DL/LB's were great in the run game.

Speaking of LB's, McKinney was awesome and I liked how they used him rushing the passer some and using Cole in the middle of the field.

Great job by the banged up secondary Conley was the defensive MVP today.

Game balls go too.

Offense- BOB playcalling/Watson/Hyde/OL

Defense- Conley/McKinney/Reader/Reid.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Game was all-around awesome today. Agree with SteelBtexan's thoughts, would add RAC on the defensive game ball list.

Game was too early for me to fire up the pit, kudos to you though!
Hey, how about a picture of your pit?

I'm about to get in a nap. I smoked 4 slabs last night and bbqd 4 more today. The rig crew are always helpful. So I'm hooking them up .

Attachments

Reactions: ROO

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
My biggest takeaway was that the defense can still be schematically effective. I expected a shootout and instead the D dang near pitched a shutout. That brings hope. I started to feel a lost season when JJ went down but Triple B defense + #JesuswithCleats4MVP = possibility for magic. I still believe!

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
That's the best game OB has called since he has been here ….. All that play action , getting Watson in space , quick hitters .… That's the offense I want to see. He got Watson "Off script" while being on script - That's how you get the most out of his abilities.

That might be the best "managed game" by Watson in his career. Put together those first two drives that ate up a huge amount of the clock then finished it off after halftime. That's what I need to see from Watson on a weekly basis ….

Props to Romeo Crennel …. That run defense is stifling and the secondary played good enough despite all the injuries - Menshew was running for his life because he didn't have anything open , both sacks were due to coverage.

Watson …. can be superman on any given play.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Great win by the entire team and coaching staff. The offense looked like it is hitting on all cylinders and a light has gone on for DW4's understanding of the offense as well as what the defense is doing.

I am concerned that without JJ, we have no pass rush. Minshew had plenty of time to pass but our secondary did a great job in coverage. We have to clean up all of the stupid penalties that keep stalling drives.

Great win. Looking forward to coming back healthy after the bye.

frethack

Rookie
That's the best game OB has called since he has been here ….. All that play action , getting Watson in space , quick hitters .… That's the offense I want to see. He got Watson "Off script" while being on script - That's how you get the most out of his abilities.

That might be the best "managed game" by Watson in his career. Put together those first two drives that ate up a huge amount of the clock then finished it off after halftime. That's what I need to see from Watson on a weekly basis ….

Props to Romeo Crennel …. That run defense is stifling and the secondary played good enough despite all the injuries - Menshew was running for his life because he didn't have anything open , both sacks were due to coverage.

Watson …. can be superman on any given play.
For the first time in franchise history the QB is our best player. Feels great to type that.

Anything is possible this season once we are healthy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

PapaL

Loose Screw
Didn’t get to comment in the game day thread but I liked the offense game plan. Too many damn penalties. OL looked improved when running and quick passing. Everyone played their role on defense. ST is still hot garbage.

KemahKeith

It's flooding down in Texas
My takeaways are:
Cunningham and McKinney are exciting to watch.
Reader is a NT we will get to enjoy just get better.
Lots of heart on the O Line with Tunsil out.
Fairbearin needs to approach PATs like field goals.
Deshaun is Desaun and I'm glad I get to watch him weekly.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
I just wonder if the Texans are better without Watt. I mention it because Bill talked about the End not running wild to the outside.They kept containment..just saying

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Now we need the Steelers to beat the Colts. I have that game on, Brissett twists his ankle, FREAKING brian Hoyer comes in and throws a TD on his first pass. <groan>
Far worse backups than Hoyer, would be happy to have him back. Who knows what McCarron has.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I have been predicting Hyde would bust a big one before long and he finally does and has the ball knocked out 2 yards shy of the goal line.
I don't think anyone was more disappointed than he was.
Despite that glitch, he still had a terrific day with 160 on the ground for the Texans.
Woulda had 219 otherwise.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
HOUSTON TEXANS
Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson continued his stellar season with a strong game against the Jaguars. Watson did not take many risks in this game, but he kept making good decisions be that either with his arm or with his legs.
While Carlos Hyde‘s performance will be remembered for his fumble at the goal line at the end of a long run in the fourth quarter, he had a solid game against his former team. Hyde was a big-play threat throughout the game, as he had multiple runs of more than 40 yards.
Cornerback Gareon Conley had one of the best games of his career, as he showed what the Texans expected from him when they traded for him two weeks ago. Conley had multiple pass breakups, including a big play against Jaguars wide receiver Chris Conley on a fourth-down pass attempt late in the game.
Although linebacker Bernardrick McKinney was credited with just three tackles on the day, he was all over the field and made his impact felt both in pass coverage and run defense

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
I have been predicting Hyde would bust a big one before long and he finally does and has the ball knocked out 2 yards shy of the goal line.
I don't think anyone was more disappointed than he was.
Despite that glitch, he still had a terrific day with 160 on the ground for the Texans.
Woulda had 219 otherwise.
I think the yards still count on a fumble. The 160 includes the yards from that play AFAIK