Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Colts Game

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Teams were hiring the boy wonder Sean McVay's Starbucks barrista for HC based on what he was doing in LA with the Rams just this past year. A year later, teams have started to figure out what McVay has been doing on offense & he & his offense looks kinda like ours actually lol. Did he all of a sudden become a bad HC? unlikely. Check out their MB though..fans swear up & down its coaching.

So coaching does matter, above average talent and a few other things matter more though & that's been the hill i've been choosing to die on repeatedly on this message board when it comes to criticism of BoB.

It was just last year that Harbaugh was thought to be on the hot seat. Then he inserted Jackson & now all of a sudden everyone thinks he's this great coach again b/c the Ravens look so dominant now....Funny how that works. but give it time. NFL defenses will start to figure out how to defend Jackson and their offense. Injuries and FA & coaching departures will do the rest. might take them this full year, but they'll get it figured out.
Harbaugh was smart enough to realize that when he inserted Jackson....he couldn't be stupid stubborn and force Jackson to run the offense designed for Flacco. He modified his offense to fit Jackson's skill set and it's paid dividends, right? Therefore, that makes him one smart cookie who understands the benefits of being flexible.

Reactions: ROO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I expect Tunsil to go to the highest bidder. Hopefully it will be us for a change.
They will franchise him for a couple of yrs if he doesn't re-sign. Which I fully expect him to do after BOB backs up the Brinks truck to his back door.
Not sure what you meant there? Why aren't you including the 2021 1st & 2nd round picks we lost as well?

No.

As others have said, only if he extends with Texans, which I expect him to do.
He said mortgaging 2 drafts. in 2020 you basically have all of your draft picks plus an extra 3rd comp pick and an extra 4th from the Tunsil trade.

Actually in 2021 the deal is a Stills/2020 high 4th and a 2021 6th. Stills has kept the offense afloat this yr during the annual WFV injury plagued campaign and I think his value is on par with what they received back in that trade for a 2nd rd pick.

Tunsil will be re-signed and this comes down to do you think he's a franchise LT and whether a franchise LT that protects Jesusincleats is worth two 1st rd picks, which I think is well worth that price. Obviously you disagree, so I will move on.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You don't?

I'm calling that coaching. What do you call it? Coaches adjust or they don't. They get better or they get left behind.

I'm one of those that believe the Texans matched up well, top to bottom with every other team in the league for a while. No team hits on all their draft picks every year. No team hits on all their FA acquisitions every year. Every team has holes.

Most here, far as I can tell, don't believe we've been coached to our strengths.

So many things we see other teams incorporate on gameday, we don't understand why we can't successfully incorporate them on gameday.

Understanding we haven't had a playmaker at QB. Some of us thought if we ever got a play maker at QB.... well.
You're seeing what the Rams look like with a crappy OL like the Texans have had the last 2 yrs. They are missing 3 starting OL and their OL looks like crap because of this.

The 2 yrs before this yr, the Texans talent level wasn't as good as you think it was. Look at the team that started against the Colts in the playoffs as an example.

Texansballer74

The Marine
They will franchise him for a couple of yrs if he doesn't re-sign. Which I fully expect him to do after BOB backs up the Brinks truck to his back door.

He said mortgaging 2 drafts. in 2020 you basically have all of your draft picks plus an extra 3rd comp pick and an extra 4th from the Tunsil trade.

Actually in 2021 the deal is a Stills/2020 high 4th and a 2021 6th. Stills has kept the offense afloat this yr during the annual WFV injury plagued campaign and I think his value is on par with what they received back in that trade for a 2nd rd pick.

Tunsil will be re-signed and this comes down to do you think he's a franchise LT and whether a franchise LT that protects Jesusincleats is worth two 1st rd picks, which I think is well worth that price. Obviously you disagree, so I will move on.

Do you honestly believe they will franchise him? Man come on, I'm pretty sure Tunsil camp didn't agree to being franchised next year if it came down to that. Dude is getting ready to cash in big time. So you can best believe if they Texans do try to attempt to pull that stunt. He will either hold out or bounce the following year.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Do honestly believe they will franchise him? Man come on, I'm pretty sure Tunsil camp didn't agree to being franchised next year if it came down to that. Dude is getting ready to cash in big time. So you can best believe if they Texans do try to attempt to pull that stunt. He will either hold out or bounce the following year.
I think they will re-sign him.

Using the franchise tag is hardly a stunt and it guarantees Tunsil will be here for 2 more yrs regardless of whether he's signed for 2 more yrs or not.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I'm one of those that believe the Texans matched up well, top to bottom with every other team in the league for a while. No team hits on all their draft picks every year. No team hits on all their FA acquisitions every year. Every team has holes.

Most here, far as I can tell, don't believe we've been coached to our strengths.

So many things we see other teams incorporate on gameday, we don't understand why we can't successfully incorporate them on gameday.

Understanding we haven't had a playmaker at QB. Some of us thought if we ever got a play maker at QB.... well.
My thoughts as well. I've thought our talent has been good enough to contend. Why haven't they? To be honest, I don't know? I admit, it's easy to just blame coaching. I hope that's not the case and DW+BOB just need more time together and they'll get there soon.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You're seeing what the Rams look like with a crappy OL like the Texans have had the last 2 yrs. They are missing 3 starting OL and their OL looks like crap because of this.

The 2 yrs before this yr, the Texans talent level wasn't as good as you think it was. Look at the team that started against the Colts in the playoffs as an example.
The ol still sucks

dream_team

Hall of Fame

Using the franchise tag is hardly a stunt and it guarantees Tunsil will be here for 2 more yrs regardless of whether he's signed for 2 more yrs or not.
Shouldn't make that assumption. Players are flexing their powers now when it comes to getting tagged. If anything, tagging will piss him off and he'll want to sign elsewhere.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I really really hope it doesn't get to that. Just extend him now, don't mess around with tagging and try to squeeze every little dollar out of him.

I won't get into a debate around the semantics of "mortgaging". We do NOT have our 1st, 3rd, and 6th round picks. And why do you think we're getting a 3rd comp pick? I don't think we'll be awarded a 3rd considering we signed Roby and Gipson. But lets go ahead and assume we're getting a 3rd, and the 4th from Tunsil is definitely an upgrade from losing a 6th, but we don't have a pick to make up for the lost 1st. While I wouldn't use the term "mortgaging" here, I also wouldn't say we "basically have all of our draft picks". Not having a first round pick is big!

You are mis-quoting me. I DO think Tunsil is a franchise LT. I ONLY think he's worth two 1st's if we extend him. He's not worth two 1st's if he's just a two year rental. I DO believe we'll extend him, though.

I do NOT believe Stills for a 2nd round pick is of equal/good value.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I do NOT believe Stills for a 2nd round pick is of equal/good value.
It's a 2nd round pick 2 years removed so it's value is a 3rd.

Come draft time it will feel like a 2nd, but that will be with 2 years production.

He's normally been healthy. So hopefully it's not going to be an issue.

Texansballer74

The Marine

But you’re not factoring in the possibility of Tunsil holding out for the type of money he will demand.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I expect Tunsil to go to the highest bidder. Hopefully it will be us for a change.
I think Tunsil stays. People aren’t factoring Watson into the equation. He is the QB all LTs would want to block for. We are a perineal playoff team only getting better.

There will be a Brinks truck involved, but not the bend over people are expecting.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
But you’re not factoring in the possibility of Tunsil holding out for the type of money he will demand.
Why hold out when we make him the highest paid tackle?? Dude will set the market like new contracts do and I am happier with him then doing that for a Solder or such in FA. Then ask DW4 for a discount because you took care of his blind side, that is my plan!

Texansballer74

The Marine
Why hold out when we make him the highest paid tackle?? Dude will set the market like new contracts do and I am happier with him then doing that for a Solder or such in FA. Then ask DW4 for a discount because you took care of his blind side, that is my plan!

Bwhahaha they're not about to ask Watson to take a discount.

Texansballer74

The Marine
So now we move the goal post again. Attacking a little statement made that means nothing just thrown in there to say, "We're going to find a way to pay Tunsil & Watson."

It's like you're not happy unless you're complaining about something.

Bwaahahaha

Ha
What are you talking about Thunder? I didn't move any goal post . And I'm most definitely not attacking anyone's statement. So why would you even put that out there like that. And to top it off you're mocking me. Are we not having a wonderful Thanksgiving day?

Texansballer74

The Marine
You're right they are going to have to pay him top tackle money and when they do he will sign.
My thing is what if another team offers way more. And what about Watson? We seen Goff, Wilson and another young QB get paid. So we can best believe Watson, Mahomes and now Jackson will be lobbying for that top dollar amount this off season.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Do you honestly believe they will franchise him? Man come on, I'm pretty sure Tunsil camp didn't agree to being franchised next year if it came down to that. Dude is getting ready to cash in big time. So you can best believe if they Texans do try to attempt to pull that stunt. He will either hold out or bounce the following year.
Tunsil's camp had nothing to do or say about Tunsil coming to Houston; it was a trade. All they could do was suggest he hold out and that IMO would have been stupid. Also, no franchise tag needed next year as he is already under contract for his 5th year option and then if needed the tags come into play for 2021 and 2022.

Also Watson is under contract through 2020 and could be tagged.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
Not sure what you meant there? Why aren't you including the 2021 1st & 2nd round picks we lost as well?

No.

As others have said, only if he extends with Texans, which I expect him to do.
The Tunsil trade spin is strong and I don’t understand it. It’s not like we’re all ignorant to the details or can’t do a Google search to clarify our own memory of the deal.

There are if’s attached to Tunsil. There are if’s attached to draft picks as well. In a few years we can all look back at the 2020 and 2021 drafts, roughly determine the value of those picks (the most logical picks the Texans would have made) and decide if it was worth it. Right now assumptions are being made and spun into a narrative to suit the person making the assumptions. And really, all it boils down to is ego - “The Texans are finally doing things my way and y’all watch, I was right all along”. And if it doesn’t work out there will always be someone or something else at fault.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Are we not having a wonderful Thanksgiving day?
I'm sorry. The whole Tunsil discussion upsets me, especially when we're talking about stuff that may or may not happen two years from now.

The whole Tunsil should have held out really irks me. He should have held out as one of three players worth a damn on the Dolphins roster. But he didn't, he's not built that way.

He's coming to a team that's been in the playoffs 4 of the last six years. Coming from a team that hasn't had a winning season in 10.

I mean that is some strong Texans hate to be talking about holding out, this year or next. Tunsil has as much to prove as anyone in this organization & holding out isn't going to help him.

It's not you, it's me. People arguing worst case scenario three years removed pushes my buttons.

& the bwhahaha thing pushes me over the edge.

Happy Thanksgiving to you sir.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They should have had an agreement to an extension before the trade was completed. I guarantee OBrien didn't even think about it
This is unrealistic. Tunsil's team was not ready to start negotiations & we weren't ready to start negotiations. It was a week before the season.

Just like if it were in season. Do you think Marcus Peters negotiated a new contract with the Vikings? Jalen Ramsey with the Rams? Minka Fitzpatrick with the Steelers?

No, no, & no. What you are saying "should have happened" doesn't happen. & since the Texans didn't do it you're saying they messed up, didn't even think of it... smh

Texans hate, through & through

Texansballer74

The Marine
I'm sorry. The whole Tunsil discussion upsets me, especially when we're talking about stuff that may or may not happen two years from now.

The whole Tunsil should have held out really irks me. He should have held out as one of three players worth a damn on the Dolphins roster. But he didn't, he's not built that way.

He's coming to a team that's been in the playoffs 4 of the last six years. Coming from a team that hasn't had a winning season in 10.

I mean that is some strong Texans hate to be talking about holding out, this year or next. Tunsil has as much to prove as anyone in this organization & holding out isn't going to help him.

It's not you, it's me. People arguing worst case scenario three years removed pushes my buttons.

& the bwhahaha thing pushes me over the edge.

Happy Thanksgiving to you sir.

Bro I’m not hating on my team. I’m just stating the other side of the spectrum. I’ve seen too many players holding out in hopes of receiving a big time payday. Especially those that know how important they are and have seen talent lesser than them get mega contracts. It’s not far fetched to think Tunsil will go this route. That’s the reason why I wished we could inked this thang up way back during the trade.

Now I’m hoping we lock this beast up during this offseason. My other thing is Watson, Mercilus and Reader. I want to include Fuller because he’s that important to our offense. What about Fells and several other players on 1 year deals.

Happy thanksgiving to you to brother. Wasn’t trying to upset anyone on here.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This is unrealistic. Tunsil's team was not ready to start negotiations & we weren't ready to start negotiations. It was a week before the season.

Just like if it were in season. Do you think Marcus Peters negotiated a new contract with the Vikings? Jalen Ramsey with the Rams? Minka Fitzpatrick with the Steelers?

No, no, & no. What you are saying "should have happened" doesn't happen. & since the Texans didn't do it you're saying they messed up, didn't even think of it... smh

Texans hate, through & through
The bears had an extension in place when they traded for mack. Now there is no guarantee tunsil stays beyond next year and he has tons lf leverage in extension talks (which should be this off-season)

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
After the Bears traded for Oakland Raiders pass rusher Khalil Mack on Saturday, they promptly signed him to a six-year, $141 million contract extension, a source informed of the deal told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.Sep 1, 2018
Team: Oakland Raiders; Chicago Bears

NFL.com › news › story › article
Khalil Mack agrees to six-year, $141M deal with Bears - NFL.com

Why didn't the Texans do this with tunsil? Because like with timeouts he didn't know

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The bears had an extension in place when they traded for mack
Khalil Mack was holding out to force a new deal out of Oakland. His people already knew what they wanted as they had been asking for months.

Tunsil was just going to work & found out he's scheduled to be on a plane to Houston in the next 24 hours.

Mack was going into the final year of his contract.

Tunsil has two years remaining on his contract. He's scheduled to get a raise in the fifth year.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why didn't the Texans do this with tunsil? Because like with timeouts he didn't know
Why didn't the Rams sign Ramsey to a new deal? The Rams didn't know?

Why didn't the Vikings sign Peter's to a new deal? They didn't know?

Why didn't the Steelers sign Fitzpatrick to a new deal? Steelers didn't know?

None of these guys were holding out looking for a new deal.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Khalil Mack was holding out to force a new deal out of Oakland. His people already knew what they wanted as they had been asking for months.

Tunsil was just going to work & found out he's scheduled to be on a plane to Houston in the next 24 hours.

Mack was going into the final year of his contract.

Tunsil has two years remaining on his contract. He's scheduled to get a raise in the fifth year.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I thought Mack was traded before his fourth year not after

Texansballer74

The Marine
I have seen people offer the other side of the spectrum on Deshaun Watson and be called haters.

Just an observation.

Difference is I'm not beating down the door like your bestie does. Just harping on it every chance they get. And I'm not calling the team stupid either.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
My takeaway from the Colts game:
  • The OL has regressed. Maybe it's the injuries to Tunsil and Howard, but I'm not seeing the same push from early in the season. Howard looks very slow with that brace.
  • Compared to early in the season, Stills does not seem as explosive. I think, he is still limited by the hamstring injury
  • Fuller. When he is healthy, is a game changer. However, I cannot understand how the offense is so bad when the #2 WR is out. It's one of the great mysteries of the OB offense.
Looks like my takeway regarding Howard was accurate. My question is why didn't they notice it in practice? Did they rush him back?