Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Colts Game

austins23

Hall of Fame
1) JJo is a bad tackler and good for maybe two plays a game

2) Cunningham is good

3) Oline struggled a bit, imo. Too much pressure with only 3 man rushes.

4) running game has disappeared the last two games.

5) OB still doing OB stuff. That TO at the end of game, wth??

6) Hargraves might be a good pickup. Was not bad last night.

7) Held TY to next to nothing. That’s promising.

8) please fuller, stay healthy!

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

2) Cunningham is good

In People's haste to criticize BoB, they need to understand the dynamic. HC's don't have the TV feed on the sideline like we do at home. Its likely BoB didn't even know DW4 fumbled the ball...scrums like that happen all the time. Us at home on the other hand saw the replay like 3-4 times close up & in detail on TV & knew DW4 had fumbled it. Aside from that, the refs didn't even choose to stop & review it, so BoB had even less reason to think there could be a possible problem..So yes, he called the TO when he saw something with the current play was not right.

markn

All Pro
In People's haste to criticize BoB, they need to understand the dynamic. HC's don't have the TV feed on the sideline like we do at home. Its likely BoB didn't even know DW4 fumbled the ball...scrums like that happen all the time. Us at home on the other hand saw the replay like 3-4 times close up & in detail on TV & knew DW4 had fumbled it.
I watched this unravel with what I imagine was a "wtf!" look on my face.

I'm genuinely puzzled about that incident and many others that we seem to fall into. Some questions, if anyone knows...

Do the team not have someone with responsibility to watch the TV feed and relay to BOB? Is this something other teams do? Is the TV stream subject to a delay preventing this tactic?

Texansballer74

The Marine
1. Bill O'Brien seem to revert back to his old playbook.

2. No way in heck should a defense only rushing 3 get to your quarterback and rattle him like that.

3. Watson has to do a better job with his decision making. He darn near threw 2 more interceptions in which were ," wtf were you looking at or throwing too".

4. RAC needs to hurry up and find another Watt or Clowney type. We're just not getting and real pressure on these opposing QBs. We were lucky Brissett wasn't 100% and neither was TY. Plus Mack would ran for well over 200 on us if he played.

5. We're on top of our division, so good freaking win. Wasn't pretty but they got it done.

6. Hopkins is simply amazing.

7. Fuller again showed why he's so important to Bill O'brien and his offense.

corry

Waterboy
Here’s the takeaway from that game.

The offense is entirely dependent on Deshaun Watson. You need to 100% relinquish all play calling duties from Bill O Brien and get Watson an OC who can be creative.

The best run of the day was a “Gary” audible that Deshaun changed in to.

The best pass play was an audible Deshaun put Hopkins in to for a touchdown.

The longest pass play of the day was play action that the team didn’t run enough of.

The amount of runs on first down and second and long are criminally insane when the line isn’t showing a resemblance of push.

This coach ain’t it, and this team isn’t a super bowl contender until they learn how to start fast. In order to win the super bowl you will need to put the Ravens and Lamar Jackson in one dimensional pass situations by coming out and taking a big lead. This is the worst offense in the NFL in the first quarter with Deshaun Watson, Darren Fells, Fuller, Hopkins, and Duke Johnson. What?

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If OB stays, I do hope he gets a real OC this time. His play calling stinks when Fuller is not there. We have the personnel to run a Wesker and Edelman like the Pats used to do for the short passing game with Carter and Johnson. Or maybe run a 2 TE set. So many options.

OB just needs to throw away the plays like the WR screen, the WR jumbled on one side of the field where they run into each other, and the running plays on 1st and 2nd down that bring up 3 and 11+.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
1. Bill O'Brien seem to revert back to his old playbook.

2. No way in heck should a defense only rushing 3 get to your quarterback and rattle him like that.

3. Watson has to do a better job with his decision making. He darn near threw 2 more interceptions in which were ," wtf were you looking at or throwing too".

4. RAC needs to hurry up and find another Watt or Clowney type. We're just not getting and real pressure on these opposing QBs. We were lucky Brissett wasn't 100% and neither was TY. Plus Mack would ran for well over 200 on us if he played.

5. We're on top of our division, so good freaking win. Wasn't pretty but they got it done.

6. Hopkins is simply amazing.

7. Fuller again showed why he's so important to Bill O'brien and his offense.
Pretty much this

Watson had another bad game but got lucky that those throws weren't picked off. Otherwise they would've lost and this week would have been like last week on the MB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If OB stays, I do hope he gets a real OC this time. His play calling stinks when Fuller is not there. We have the personnel to run a Wesker and Edelman like the Pats used to do for the short passing game with Carter and Johnson. Or maybe run a 2 TE set. So many options.

OB just needs to throw away the plays like the WR screen, the WR jumbled on one side of the field where they run into each other, and the running plays on 1st and 2nd down that bring up 3 and 11+.
You do realize that the Pats use Edelman on wr screens alot?

I'm pretty sure BOB didn't design plays where Wr's are running into each other.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You do realize that the Pats use Edelman on wr screens alot?

I'm pretty sure BOB didn't design plays where Wr's are running into each other.
Then it happens frequently. Maybe it's Coutee, which he wasn't in the game yesterday, but even Aikman made a comment about the WRs being within 5 yards of each other.

I know Watson made some bad throws, but the OLine struggled on a few series as well.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
In People's haste to criticize BoB, they need to understand the dynamic. HC's don't have the TV feed on the sideline like we do at home. Its likely BoB didn't even know DW4 fumbled the ball...scrums like that happen all the time. Us at home on the other hand saw the replay like 3-4 times close up & in detail on TV & knew DW4 had fumbled it. Aside from that, the refs didn't even choose to stop & review it, so BoB had even less reason to think there could be a possible problem..So yes, he called the TO when he saw something with the current play was not right.
So there's a scrum, you see people fighting for the ball, and numerous Colts pointing the other way. BOB should have been aware that there's a possible turnover here.

The problem I have with the timeout is that I didn't see any purpose for it. The Texans were lined up and ready to snap the ball. They did NOT need to convert the first down right there. They just had to run a play and not turn it over. Refs chose to not review the play, great. Why call a timeout, when a timeout doesn't benefit us at all, which opens the door for a possible booth review?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
He had a average game that could've been much worse.
Agreed. He completed 63% of his passes for 296 yards. His deep ball was great, but his intermediate passes weren't. Not a great game by Watson, not terrible either.

I give Colts alot of credit, they came into this game with a good defensive plan. Stop the run and play alot of underneath coverage to take away the quick passes. It worked for majority of the game, but that defense will be vulnerable to the deep ball.

The OL, specifically Tytus Howard, appears to have regressed to me. Maybe he's not quite 100% yet.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Texans have the Pats, Broncos, Bucs, and Titans twice in the next five games. The Colts have Titans, Bucs, Saints, Panthers and Jags. Texans should win 3, maybe 4 of those and make the playoffs either as a wild card or division winner, probably division winners.

After that, we all know the story.

Texansballer74

The Marine
So there's a scrum, you see people fighting for the ball, and numerous Colts pointing the other way. BOB should have been aware that there's a possible turnover here.

The problem I have with the timeout is that I didn't see any purpose for it. The Texans were lined up and ready to snap the ball. They did NOT need to convert the first down right there. They just had to run a play and not turn it over. Refs chose to not review the play, great. Why call a timeout, when a timeout doesn't benefit us at all, which opens the door for a possible booth review?

The issue I had with the timeout was the very next play. Hyde up the middle for no gain.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I watched this unravel with what I imagine was a "wtf!" look on my face.

I'm genuinely puzzled about that incident and many others that we seem to fall into. Some questions, if anyone knows...

Do the team not have someone with responsibility to watch the TV feed and relay to BOB? Is this something other teams do? Is the TV stream subject to a delay preventing this tactic?
I agree and I will be glad to volunteer for the job. BOB just continue to prove he is the worst in-game manager in the NFL.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

That's not the way you think about that situation as an offense or as a HC. You are trying to convert the 1st down & then kneel it out...& you're trying to do that in a way that's least dangerous. That explains the playcall of Hyde straight up the middle afterwards..... and it explains why he called the TO.
This is why the last play of the game he just had DW4 drop back, dance around a little & then chunk it as high as he could on 4th down rather than punt it as you would normally do. Under no circumstances do you want the Colts to get their hands on the ball again if you can help it.

As i said too, scrums like that happen all the time so there was really no reason for BoB to think that that particular scrum was any different. I think we all get too caught up in the TV feed. what those guys have access to.....& when matters.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
That's not the way you think about that situation as an offense or as a HC. You are trying to convert the 1st down & then kneel it out...& you're trying to do that in a way that's least dangerous. That explains the playcall of Hyde straight up the middle afterwards..... and it explains why he called the TO.
This is why the last play of the game he just had DW4 drop back, dance around a little & then chunk it as high as he could on 4th down rather than punt it as you would normally do. Under no circumstances do you want the Colts to get their hands on the ball again if you can help it.

As i said too, scrums like that happen all the time so there was really no reason for BoB to think that that particular scrum was any different. I think we all get too caught up in the TV feed. what those guys have access to.....& when matters.
I guess it all comes down to what the original play call was, which we'll never find out. If for some reason, they had a pass play (which would have been a bone-headed decision)... at least BOB figured it out and called a TO to change the play. This is probably the only logical reason for BOB to call a timeout there.

I think no matter how you look at it, calling a timeout in that situation isn't ideal. You would prefer the team to be ready, with the right play call.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I guess it all comes down to what the original play call was, which we'll never find out. If for some reason, they had a pass play (which would have been a bone-headed decision)... at least BOB figured it out and called a TO to change the play. This is probably the only logical reason for BOB to call a timeout there.

I think no matter how you look at it, calling a timeout in that situation isn't ideal. You would prefer the team to be ready, with the right play call.
they mentioned on 610 that it could've possibly been b/c they were in danger of getting a penalty...either b/c of the playclock running out or b/c someone was lined up wrong. Either way a penalty there not only stops the clock ANYWAY, but also takes it from 3rd and short to 3rd and long and then u have next to 0 chance of converting.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
they mentioned on 610 that it could've possibly been b/c they were in danger of getting a penalty...either b/c of the playclock running out or b/c someone was lined up wrong. Either way a penalty there not only stops the clock ANYWAY, but also takes it from 3rd and short to 3rd and long and then u have next to 0 chance of converting.
^^^^
This

dream_team

Hall of Fame
^^^^
This
Wasn't a play clock issue. I'm not an expert with illegal formations, do you guys see anything wrong?

Also, as I mentioned previously, converting first down here has ZERO importance.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Wasn't a play clock issue. I'm not an expert with illegal formations, do you guys see anything wrong?

Also, as I mentioned previously, converting first down here has ZERO importance.

Nope they were not in a bad Formation or in threat of the play clock running out. They actually were going to quickly snap it and run a play before a challenge came in.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

I'm not either..but nothing stands out from that either. BUT, that formation is the exact same formation they ran the zone read out of just 1 play before. Only difference is Fuller and Nukk are in different spots. Perhaps BoB just wanted to take DW4 out of the equation in the run play there & called the TO to simplify the play. Don't want to risk a fumbled exchange.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

They've got 7 men on the line. and the OT's are covered so this is a legal formation. IMHO

I could be wrong on this.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Nope they were not in a bad Formation or in threat of the play clock running out. They actually were going to quickly snap it and run a play before a challenge came in.
Lol, playclock had 2 secs left on it in Dreams pic above. When that fumble happened, it was 1.40 left on the clock. In Dream's other clip they still hadn't snapped the ball with 52 secs left. So if they were "quickly snapping" the ball, they failed horribly as damn near a minute had already rolled off. Fact is they were bleeding it but usually you wait until you're down to 5 secs on the playclock and then you snap.

& just basing it off of the playcall that we actually went with, (Hyde up the middle) it tells me, something was up with either their alignment, personnel or the playcall & what they were trying to do there.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Lol, playclock had 2 secs left on it in Dreams pic above. When that fumble happened, it was 1.40 left on the clock. In Dream's other clip they still hadn't snapped the ball with 52 secs left. So if they were "quickly snapping" the ball, they failed horribly as damn near a minute had already rolled off. Fact is they were bleeding it but usually you wait until you're down to 5 secs on the playclock and then you snap.

& just basing it off of the playcall that we actually went with, (Hyde up the middle) it tells me, something was up with either their alignment, personnel or the playcall & what they were trying to do there.
Yah, there was no attempt at a quick-snap.

Re-watching the whole play go down. When the timeout was called, first thing I notice is Nuk put his hands up as in "Why did we call a timeout?". You then see Fuller put his hands up towards Stills, looks like he's asking "Why did we call a timeout?" Then Stills shrugs his shoulders, implying he didn't know why.

BTW, I also noticed Howard instantly releases to block the Mike. Therefore, it's clearly a run play called. It was a bad timeout. Let's get over it. I'm over it.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Every team runs the clock down to the very last second during a situation like that. What you expect them to only run off a few seconds, knowing we need to run the clock down to help seal the game.

So many scenarios right there bud. We can play this game all day. I do however know, you're going to take up for Bill O'Brien no matter what.

It was a bad timeout

Texansballer74

The Marine
Dream you were right. I think they got to the line of scrimmage late. So in theory they were going to quick snap it. They had no other choice.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Yah, there was no attempt at a quick-snap.

Re-watching the whole play go down. When the timeout was called, first thing I notice is Nuk put his hands up as in "Why did we call a timeout?". You then see Fuller put his hands up towards Stills, looks like he's asking "Why did we call a timeout?" Then Stills shrugs his shoulders, implying he didn't know why.

BTW, I also noticed Howard instantly releases to block the Mike. Therefore, it's clearly a run play called. It was a bad timeout. Let's get over it. I'm over it.

Its been over with me b/c it’s truthfully a non-story except amongst fans who look for any reason they think they see to justify their beliefs about BoB.
Listening to the radio this morning, heard a guy say he thinks DW4 and BoB butted heads or something....dude based his entire premise on a 2-3 sec clip he saw during last night’s broadcast where it appeared to him DW4 was ignoring BoB.......I mean this is what it has come to for some and it’s ridiculous.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Every team runs the clock down to the very last second during a situation like that. What you expect them to only run off a few seconds, knowing we need to run the clock down to help seal the game.

So many scenarios right there bud. We can play this game all day. I do however know, you're going to take up for Bill O'Brien no matter what.

It was a bad timeout
Eh, likewise I know you’re going to over scrutinize something that there may be a perfectly justifiable explanation for. I mean it’s pretty clear it wasn’t that big of deal...BoB Nor DW4 didn’t even get a question about it in the post game press conference to mu

but here you and others are...armchair coaching it like ya’ll know exactly what went down.

I expect nothing less. When we win, its b/c DW4 is out here doing it all by himself...when we lose..it’s b/c coaching and play calling didn’t have them ready. At some point ya’ll will realize..until then.......carry on.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Eh, likewise I know you’re going to over scrutinize something that there may be a perfectly justifiable explanation for. I mean it’s pretty clear it wasn’t that big of deal...BoB Nor DW4 didn’t even get a question about it in the post game press conference to mu

but here you and others are...armchair coaching it like ya’ll know exactly what went down.

I expect nothing less. When we win, its b/c DW4 is out here doing it all by himself...when we lose..it’s b/c coaching and play calling didn’t have them ready. At some point ya’ll will realize..until then.......carry on.

You never heard me say anything close to that nonsense. Whenever Obrien calls a great game, I'm one of the first to give him praise. Whenever Watson fucks up, I'm one of the first to call him out. Go look at my takeaways.

I've watched plenty of freaking football. I know when a team is not freaking prepared. Under Bill O'Brien that has happened a lot.

One last thing, please stop with this throwing rocks then hiding your hand. You're doing the exact thing.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Lol, playclock had 2 secs left on it in Dreams pic above. When that fumble happened, it was 1.40 left on the clock. In Dream's other clip they still hadn't snapped the ball with 52 secs left. So if they were "quickly snapping" the ball, they failed horribly as damn near a minute had already rolled off. Fact is they wtere bleeding it but usually you wait until you're down to 5 secs on the playclock and then you snap.

The reason there was no quick snap is that because there were no camera angles that would have overturned the officials' on the field decision that it was a fumble with recovery by the offense, the NFL's review of the play in NY was quickly felt to be irreversible. That was the message almost immediately related to the both the HCs.

After the game, the NFL explained:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The reason there was no quick snap is that because there were no camera angles that would have overturned the officials' on the field decision that it was a fumble with recovery by the offense, the NFL's review of the play in NY was quickly felt to be irreversible. That was the message almost immediately related to the both the HCs.

After the game, the NFL explained:

Certain posters have to find something to complain about when it comes to BOB. They had to search very hard this week.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Certain posters have to find something to complain about when it comes to BOB. They had to search very hard this week.

Here we go again with the pot calling the kettle black.

I see it's ok for certain poster to complain about Watson and or RS. But nobody can complain about Bill O'brien.

And search hard. Bwhahaha dude we all were watching the game. All because the NFL tried to cover their tracks. Something they do every time their refs F's up. There was a clear fumble by Watson. The defender snatched that ball right out of his hands.

Last edited:

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

I see it's ok for certain poster to complain about Watson and or RS. But nobody can complain about Bill O'brien.

And search hard. Bwhahaha dude we all were watching the game. All because the NFL tried to cover their tracks. Something they do every time their refs F's up. They was a clear fumble by Watson. The defender snatched that ball right out of his hands.
That's why Watson rushed up to the line to snap the ball. He was even surprised a TO was called.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

And search hard. Bwhahaha dude we all were watching the game. All because the NFL tried to cover their tracks. Something they do every time their refs F's up. There was a clear fumble by Watson. The defender snatched that ball right out of his hands.
Nope, fact is the Texans won a huge game last night, much to the chagrin of some posters. Sorry but those are facts.

Where's UR today?

banned1976

sleeper mode
All around, this game was pretty much what I expected. The Texans offense looked completely uninspired in the first quarter, what else is new. For the rest of the game they were pretty average. Watson was average, the game plan on offense was average. I don’t know why they kept trying to run Hyde to the edge, that’s not his game. Duke continues to be under or poorly utilized.

The defense was okay. The Colts are obviously missing very key pieces and TY Hilton wasn’t close to 100%. I know, the Texans defense was missing key players as well so it all played out pretty much as expected.

In fact I expected a close game with the Texans on top and that’s what happened.

The slow starts on offense are going to catch up to the Texans and eventually end their season. Last night they just happened to get a favorable matchup.

2) Cunningham is good

Ty played limited snaps and showed rust when targeted

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That's why Watson rushed up to the line to snap the ball. He was even surprised a TO was called.
New replay rule does not give Seahawks fumble recovery
by Ben Austro - October 19, 201410

Week 7: Seahawks at Rams (video at 4:02)
A fumble by Rams running back Tre Mason was ruled to be recovered by the Rams as a swarm of players descended upon the ball downfield. Since the fumble occurred after the two-minute warning, the fumble recovery by the offense goes back to the spot of the fumble if it is not recovered by the fumbling player.

[Update 10/21: The original post stated that the original ruling was in error: that a loose ball recovery by Rams tight end Cory Harkey was ruled, despite the fact that possession was never secured. We relied on information from the official scorekeeper’s report, which gave the impression that this was the ruling on the field. The post has been updated to reflect that the recovery was ruled in the pile-up after the fumble, and the call was not in error.]

This is reviewable play to determine if a player can be credited with possession prior to the ball being enveloped by the pile. Since the fumble is not under dispute, we are looking at a review of a loose-ball recovery; a new rule added this season.

However, the play was not reviewed, because the replay official did not request one. (The Seahawks cannot challenge to have a replay review, since it was after the two-minute warning, and under the jurisdiction of the replay official.) In order to reverse the original ruling, there must be video evidence of the fumble recovery. Once a fumble enters a pile of players, there cannot be a review, because the continuous observation of the ball is lost. It appeared that Seahawks safety Richard Sherman could have grabbed the fumble from the video, there is no demonstration of control that would be required to establish possession.

Without the clear recovery, the ruling on the field stands as called. In these reviews, the player who emerges from a fumble pile cannot be used as evidence for a replay review.
THE REST OF THE STORY

Last edited: