Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from Patriots game.

Scooter

Funky
Brown was traded for effectively a 1st round pick and two years later, a 9 year younger Tunsil was traded for. To call a 25 year old Tunsil a "lesser player" than a 34 year old Brown is just ludicrous. Brown was coming off injury and a holdout.
Brown was realistically traded for 2nd rounder Lonnie Johnson (where are you finding "effectively a 1st round pick")? Everything I can find online points to old man Brown being equal to or better than Tunsil over the past 3 years, for at least 10mil less ... who in REALITY cost multiple first round picks.

Sabotage.....

76Texan

Hall of Fame
After Myers bulked up, I would maybe agree. But definitely not before when he was getting ragdolled. They were much better at run blocking than pass protection IIRC.

No. 5
A head slap is illegal.
It was a penalty on the Dlineman that should have been called.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man

No. 5
A head slap is illegal.
It was a penalty on the Dlineman that should have been called.
Are you talking about the Myers play when he was tossed around by, was it Hanesworth or Suh? I can't remember.

If so, I don't remember seeing a head slap on that play but could definitely be wrong. Until he bulked up after that, he was getting dominated a lot more that just that one play.

Scooter

Funky
Meh, I never liked Myers - a liability if left alone and wasn't exactly Brad Ausmus earning his spot upstairs since QB/HC made most of the calls.

He (like Smith, unlike Newton) was competent enough however to hold the position for another year or two as Jones slid into guard spots waiting on the next wave of talent.

Scooter

Funky
Texans got a 2nd a 3rd and a 5th and Jacob Martin.

It's questionable that Brown has been a better tackle for the last 3 years
Texans got CRAP, not "effectively". We lost two first round picks, got bamboozled for arguably the worst contract ever - for someone who it's impossible to "my badass" defend over an old man who at worst is starting Left Tackle quality. It's not really questionable, at least as far as Offensive Line metrics go (hard to judge, I know) ... Brown has been as good or better than Tunsil over the past 3 years. I would argue that he would be even better in a more familiar environment.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Texans got CRAP, not "effectively". We lost two first round picks, got bamboozled for arguably the worst contract ever - for someone who it's impossible to "my badass" defend over an old man who at worst is starting Left Tackle quality. It's not really questionable, at least as far as Offensive Line metrics go (hard to judge, I know) ... Brown has been as good or better than Tunsil over the past 3 years. I would argue that he would be even better in a more familiar environment.
It's too early for you to be drinking that much

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Are you talking about the Myers play when he was tossed around by, was it Hanesworth or Suh? I can't remember.

If so, I don't remember seeing a head slap on that play but could definitely be wrong. Until he bulked up after that, he was getting dominated a lot more that just that one play.
Hayenesworth.
And yes, there was a head slap.
I had posted a series of photos of that play.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

There were a few. The most egregious may have been against the Jets and Jenkins

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
They're a 4 win team, this is really simple. BTW, just because Culley is a nice guy doesn't mean he's a HC. But he's a rookie and he's learning on the job too.

I like the, I don't care who you are, if you aren't willing to do the things we ask of you, then you're going to be put on the inactive list.

That's been missing in the Texans org for a long time.

So Cals lying and Easterby is running the show, not Caserio?
When they interviewed Justin Britt, he specifically said Culley, Caserio, and Esterbunny. Not my words, his words. He didn't say gm and hc, end of story. He said Culley,Nick and Jack. Show me another organization where a dude in Esterbunny position, a position he shouldn't even have, is involved in the free agency process.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
We saw 2 different games. He was accurate and threw into tight windows.

The Carolina he did more of what you're looking for in terms of delivering accurate throws under intense pressure.
Nah, we watched the same game. You just have your mind made up. He played a good game and hopefully he keeps improving. If it were me, I would keep him playing even with Taylor healthy. At the very least, the team needs to see if he can be a marginal starter in at least a back up

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
When they interviewed Justin Britt, he specifically said Culley, Caserio, and Esterbunny. Not my words, his words. He didn't say gm and hc, end of story. He said Culley,Nick and Jack. Show me another organization where a dude in Esterbunny position, a position he shouldn't even have, is involved in the free agency process.
So you believe Britt over Cal? Do you believe Easterby has input on personnel? I dont. Easterby is Cal's confidant and Caserio's errand boy. Look at Cal at a Gala this last week. He was asked what the status of Derrick is. Cal responded, he didn't know, that's Caserio's job.

Question what is it that Easterby does exactly?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nah, we watched the same game. You just have your mind made up. He played a good game and hopefully he keeps improving. If it were me, I would keep him playing even with Taylor healthy. At the very least, the team needs to see if he can be a marginal starter in at least a back up
My mind is far from made up, but I do think he looked really good on Sunday as a rookie against a Belichick defense. I certainly didn't expect him to look as good as he did last Sunday.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
He
So you believe Britt over Cal? Do you believe Easterby has input on personnel? I dont. Easterby is Cal's confidant and Caserio's errand boy. Look at Cal at a Gala this last week. He was asked what the status of Derrick is. Cal responded, he didn't know, that's Caserio's job.

Question what is it that Easterby does exactly?
They interviewed Britt and asked him about signing here. He stated he liked the game plan laid out by Culley,Caserio, and Esterby. So you ask what does Esterby has to do with this? They're lying, including Nick when they try to say all Esterby is doing is setting up team travel and all the other vp of operations do. He has his hands in the personel side to which is what got the team into the mess theyre in now. They're lying and trying to tell the public otherwise.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well there's one mans opinion, I'm sure you haven't seen much of Clowney's play over the last 3 yrs, or Brown's for that matter.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He

They interviewed Britt and asked him about signing here. He stated he liked the game plan laid out by Culley,Caserio, and Esterby. So you ask what does Esterby has to do with this? They're lying, including Nick when they try to say all Esterby is doing is setting up team travel and all the other vp of operations do. He has his hands in the personel side to which is what got the team into the mess theyre in now. They're lying and trying to tell the public otherwise.
If Caserio says I want this guy, do you think Easterby can tell him no?

I dont

I'm sure when it comes to FA's Easterby talks to FA's and tells them the type of culture they're trying to build down on Kirby, probably with Caserio in the room. But I seriously doubt that Caserio wont be able to draft/trade/sign the guys he wants because of Easterby. But he, if everybody is together in the big lie to cover for Easterby it would be the 1st time the Texans org were fully on board with anything in a long time. So maybe that's progress.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
If Caserio says I want this guy, do you think Easterby can tell him no?

I dont

I'm sure when it comes to FA's Easterby talks to FA's and tells them the type of culture they're trying to build down on Kirby, probably with Caserio in the room. But I seriously doubt that Caserio wont be able to draft/trade/sign the guys he wants because of Easterby. But he, if everybody is together in the big lie to cover for Easterby it would be the 1st time the Texans org were fully on board with anything in a long time. So maybe that's progress.
Show me another person in Easterby position that speaks to free agents and talk about culture. Nick is indebted to Jack too. Jack has Cals ear and heart, haven't you noticed. Listen to what Culley,Nick,and Cal says and tell me they're on the exact same wordplay. If Jack suggests someone, how you think that's gonna play?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Show me another person in Easterby position that speaks to free agents and talk about culture. Nick is indebted to Jack too. Jack has Cals ear and heart, haven't you noticed. Listen to what Culley,Nick,and Cal says and tell me they're on the exact same wordplay. If Jack suggests someone, how you think that's gonna play?
I think when it comes to personnel Caserio's in charge.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Justin Britt must obviously be confused by the numerous hits to his head because I've got it on good authority* that Easterby has absolutely nothing to do with personnel or even being in the same building as the GM.

Easterby is just around to be player 2 in Mario Cart for Kyle and to occasionally give out high fives that may or may not be returned half the time.

Even suggesting that Easterby is involved at all could get you completely ejected and castigated from Texans Nation, so be careful with those facts when they undermine the narrative.

*i.e. opinions pulled out of thin air and some mumbling by Kyle

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I really only have 2 things I dislike about this game. And both would have won us the game.

1- Culley didn't have the D ready after the half. And not to the same extent, but the offense was not the same as in the first half either.

2- While he has been a great kicker and has a good reputation and pretty big contract. Why is Ka'imi Fairbairn still on the roster? At worst, he should have been benched and let the punter kick. He has missed 3 kicks in this game and has missed a total of 4 (XPs and FGs) including the last game of last year. Not encouraging at all. As the whole STs are a wreck. But, that's 5 points and the score was 22-25... The XPs would not have won the game. However, the FG and one of two would have. And an off chance had he mad both XPs the Patriots may not have been as confident in coming back.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Justin Britt must obviously be confused by the numerous hits to his head because I've got it on good authority* that Easterby has absolutely nothing to do with personnel or even being in the same building as the GM.

Easterby is just around to be player 2 in Mario Cart for Kyle and to occasionally give out high fives that may or may not be returned half the time.

Even suggesting that Easterby is involved at all could get you completely ejected and castigated from Texans Nation, so be careful with those facts when they undermine the narrative.

*i.e. opinions pulled out of thin air and some mumbling by Kyle
Maybe or maybe not. He tends to get into spots he has no business being in. Such as helping with contact negotiating and deals last year. Which we know was done. Not saying I have any idea what he is doing this year. Just pointing out that he could be doing more than we think.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I really only have 2 things I dislike about this game. And both would have won us the game.

1- Culley didn't have the D ready after the half. And not to the same extent, but the offense was not the same as in the first half either.

2- While he has been a great kicker and has a good reputation and pretty big contract. Why is Ka'imi Fairbairn still on the roster? At worst, he should have been benched and let the punter kick. He has missed 3 kicks in this game and has missed a total of 4 (XPs and FGs) including the last game of last year. Not encouraging at all. As the whole STs are a wreck. But, that's 5 points and the score was 22-25... The XPs would not have won the game. However, the FG and one of two would have. And an off chance had he mad both XPs the Patriots may not have been as confident in coming back.
I’m with you on the missed PATs but to be fair, the missed FG was 56 yards. Those are much lower percentage kicks for just about anybody not named Tucker or playing their games in Denver.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
2021 NFL FG% 50+ YDS
A: 163 / M: 107 / P: 66%

This was just a quick count. NFL is doing far better from this distance than I would’ve expected.
Good stat. Because attempts between 50-53 yards are very makeable by kickers, I'm not surprised by the 66%.

For a real apples to apples comparison. Instead of 50+ as the threshold. It would be interesting to see the percentage for 55+.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
2021 NFL FG% 50+ YDS
A: 163 / M: 107 / P: 66%

This was just a quick count. NFL is doing far better from this distance than I would’ve expected.
Don't know where you got those numbers from but NFL FG from 50+ are 37 out of 61 for 60%.

And my point being, that's far from 88% inside 50, or ever the 78% from 40-49.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Don't know where you got those numbers from but NFL FG from 50+ are 37 out of 61 for 60%.

And my point being, that's far from 88% inside 50, or ever the 78% from 40-49.
I just searched for NFL FG percentage from 55+ yards. I literally had to count the attempts since there was no total provided. Anyhow, appreciate you finding the right stat line.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Maybe or maybe not. He tends to get into spots he has no business being in. Such as helping with contact negotiating and deals last year. Which we know was done. Not saying I have any idea what he is doing this year. Just pointing out that he could be doing more than we think.
I would agree with you 100%, but nope nope nope, we have it on good authority - i.e. forum member optimism and Kyle mumbles - that Jack Easterby has absolutely no influence on anything about the roster or anything even remotely associated to the product on the field. Please forget his presence on the sideline, draft room, and just about every other place that Kyle and Nick are seen. . .

He's just there to smile, post signs of vacant platitudes throughout the building, and generally spread happiness and harmony and everything fluffy and nice in life.

Because, y'know, that's what an Executive Vice President of Football Operations does on every NFL franchise. :fingergun:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Jack Easterby has absolutely no influence on anything about the roster or anything even remotely associated to the product on the field. Please forget his presence on the sideline, draft room, and just about every other place that Kyle and Nick are seen. .
The final word was that he was going to do whatever Caserio tells him to do.

Because, y'know, that's what an Executive Vice President of Football Operations does on every NFL franchise
Honestly don't know what the EVP of FO does. I didn't think the position had anything to do with the on field product. I thought it was like James Rootes our old President of Football Operations. Managing the concession stands and making sure there was enough TP in the bathrooms.

That is until Elway leveraged the position to make himself the GM.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The final word was that he was going to do whatever Caserio tells him to do.

Honestly don't know what the EVP of FO does. I didn't think the position had anything to do with the on field product. I thought it was like James Rootes our old President of Football Operations. Managing the concession stands and making sure there was enough TP in the bathrooms.

That is until Elway leveraged the position to make himself the GM.
Jamey Rootes was President of Business Operations, which is now held by Greg Grissom.