Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from HTown @ Oilers wannabe

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
I think it’s important that the coaches win the games they should. For a team like ours, that means against the worst teams in the league. Not saying the Titans are among the worst teams in the league, but the team they fielded Sunday wasn’t very good.

If you think Culley is a placeholder it doesn’t matter. But if these coaches are part of the rebuild I’d like to see them do the best they can with what they got.

Otherwise, we’re wasting every drafted/UDFA that comes here.
I don't think Culley is a placeholder. He has five year contract that for coaches is usually fully guaranteed. I kinda don't understand the hiring from the Texans point of view, but that puts the decision in the spot with most their decisions.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't think Culley is a placeholder. He has five contract that for coaches is usually fully guaranteed. I kinda don't understand the hiring from the Texans point of view, but that puts the decision in the spot with most their decisions.
I was glad to see he wasn’t calling plays. I’m tired of coordinators pretending to be HCs.

There are plenty of guys out there that do it & do it well. But after 17 years of two coaches that flat out refused to hand over the reigns, I was ready for a change

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Why? Taylor made a couple of nice runs. Other than that, the offense looks as inept as it did with Mills. Mills isn’t the only problem. And Taylor isn’t the savior.
Tannyhill thru 4 pics in large part because of bad weather conditions including heavy rains and I'm pretty sure that also adversly effected Tyrods passing game.
Oh BTW I'm not for a moment discounting a spirited effort by our defense Sunday for being a factor in putting a crimp in Tannyhills game.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I was glad to see he wasn’t calling plays. I’m tired of coordinators pretending to be HCs.

There are plenty of guys out there that do it & do it well. But after 17 years of two coaches that flat out refused to hand over the reigns, I was ready for a change
Here, here !

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Tannyhill thru 4 pics in large part because of bad weather conditions including heavy rains and I'm pretty sure that also adversly effected Tyrods passing game.
Oh BTW I'm not for a moment discounting a spirited effort by our defense Sunday for being a factor in putting a crimp in Tannyhills game.
Two of those were good plays by our defense. The front for rushing Tannehill's decisions & KGH & D.King breaking on the ball.

The one King caught falling into the endzone, Tannehill was hit as he threw the ball.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
After the game Culley was talking about how important it was that we ran the ball as often as we did. Kept Tyrod's attempts low, shortened the game, & some other bull.

I wish one of those reporters would have asked him if a 4 min drive in the 2nd half would have been as affective as 4 min of offense in the entire 2nd half.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

Culley has no experience calling plays so there is that. He was an asst head coach which means he experience doing behind the scenes stuff which we don't know/care about.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
When it comes to evaluating QB performances, you know Steel has one set of criteria for Derrick and another for every QB not named Derrick. Because it's totally illogical, it's pointless to even discuss or try to rationalize it.
ALL Texan QB's since 2010

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Let's see if more carries will lead to better production than 2.2 YPC.
Too many run plays called that just doesn't make sense. I don't know if any of the guys we have can do better over the course of the game.

It's like Mills & Tyrod. It's not necessarily that Tyrod is better. He's better at making something out of nothing & we've got a whole bunch of nothing going on.

Remember Carlos Hyde? He was able press the hole then bounce it outside. He was able to create. None of the guys we have now can.

They can't get to the hole fast enough. They can't cut sharp enough, they can't break tackles.

They shouldn't have to on every carry, but this is what we got.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
I think we are expecting too much... the best rushing teams in the league average between 4.6 - 5.2 YPC (the top 10 teams).

We have a bunch of cast off's, rejects, has been's, and never will be's at running back, an Oline that for the most part moves backward on running plays, and a passing game that doesn't scare anyone.

2.2 YPC is just about what I would expect that combination to equal.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Did they? They still had just 190 of offense, 62 in the 2nd half, 6 of 8 2nd half possessions were 3 and out, they averaged 2.2 yards running the ball, RBs 1.7 YPC, 1 receiver had over 20 yards, and with a 5-0 turnover advantage only scored 13 points off of those 5 turnovers in a game they won by 9.

I get being pumped about a win, but other than Tannehill hemorrhaging turnovers and the Texans having none, there wasn’t a whole lot that was different.

The Jets beat the Titans with Henry, and losing the turnover battle. Just sayin’.

And FWIW, I don’t give a damn about draft position either. Still have to get the right player regardless of your spot in the draft order. Nothing is guaranteed, even #1 picks.
One INT was to the Texans 1.
A fumble actually resulted in a TD for the Titans as they recovered their own fumble in the end zone.
Another INT was toward the end of the game. The Texans just need to protect to ball to secure the win.

badboy

Hall of Fame
One INT was to the Texans 1.
A fumble actually resulted in a TD for the Titans as they recovered their own fumble in the end zone.
Another INT was toward the end of the game. The Texans just need to protect to ball to secure the win.
I wonder if the Tennessee Titans fans are saying the same thing just secure the ball and you will win.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tyrod had a real problem with the rain. The Texans offense looked servicable until the rain started, then he went total inept. At least he did not turn it over like the Titans, balls at feet etc were his rain specialty.
OK here's a fact about Tyrod: he's won 2/3rds of the games he's started and finished here in Houston.
So I dunno who's to say we wouldn't be 6-4 or 7-3 right now and headed for the P/Os had he played the entre year ?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
OK here's a fact about Tyrod: he's won 2/3rds of the games he's started and finished here in Houston.
So I dunno who's to say we wouldn't be 6-4 or 7-3 right now and headed for the P/Os had he played the entre year ?
He missed the crux of the season and based on this Titans win…..the Texans might’ve won the Cleveland game. I mean Tannehill had just as much to do with the Texans win as the teams offense did.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He missed the crux of the season and based on this Titans win…..the Texans might’ve won the Cleveland game. I mean Tannehill had just as much to do with the Texans win as the teams offense did.
He missed those games because of injury, and had he remained healthy and injrry free all season like I said, who's to say ?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He missed those games because of injury, and had he remained healthy and injrry free all season like I said, who's to say ?
Agree. Who's to say.

But there were a lot of things that happened in that stretch in addition to Tyrod's injury. Injuries to Tunsil, Collins, Conley, Cannon, Britt, trading Ingram.

I mean even against Tennessee we struggled to move the ball. The only other game we got turnovers that put us in scoring distance & didn't get TDs was Miami. We most likely would have won... nope, Tyrod played that one.

I wanted to think Tyrod would have made a difference, but in reality I see it's not big enough

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I like the optimism, but I don't think it's that easy. The first flaw in your argument is Taylor's health. With his injury history, it was likely he was going to get hurt. It's not a matter of if, but when. That was a great jumping TD play, but I was surprised he didn't get hurt. Also, he got hit in the end zone for a near safety. He got the pass off, but the way he got hit and twisted, I was surprise his hamstrings survived. Based on those two hits, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the injury report this week.

Also, "never ignore in victory, what you wouldn't in defeat". At the end of the day, there are still fundamental issues with this offense that prevents them from having any sustained success. The Texans had goal-to-go on eight plays and gained more than three yards twice. The running game is horrible on a wet or dry field. They went 3 and out six consecutive times to end the game. They were outgained 420 to 190 yards. It took 5 TOs for them to win by 8 points. That is not winning football.

I enjoyed the game and will gladly take any unexpected win, but it's a stretch to think if Taylor was healthy this would be a playoff contender. Maybe they don't get outscored 117-19 on the road and the games might be more competitive but playoff contender or stringing together multiple wins? I don't think so.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I will say the Texans wouldn't be 6-4 or 7-3 and headed for the playoffs had Taylor played the entire year.

Reasons? This team sucks. And Tyrod is not a very good QB.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
That is some powerful Kool Aid right there. :) Can they bring that across the border legally?
How come I can't get any love for our QB ?
I'm flirting with the idea of naming my schnauzer Ollie, Tyrod. Well atleast until he starts and loses a game again.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
The Texans just aren't very talented. And it doesn't matter who the QB is, they aren't going anywhere for a few years anyway. If that bothers folks, they should just quit watching. This franchise had been wandering adrift for 20 years, what makes anyone think that's going to change? And if Caserio is the agent of change, it's not going to show up for a while anyway.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I like the optimism, but I don't think it's that easy. The first flaw in your argument is Taylor's health. With his injury history, it was likely he was going to get hurt. It's not a matter of if, but when. That was a great jumping TD play, but I was surprised he didn't get hurt. Also, he got hit in the end zone for a near safety. He got the pass off, but the way he got hit and twisted, I was surprise his hamstrings survived. Based on those two hits, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the injury report this week.

Also, "never ignore in victory, what you wouldn't in defeat". At the end of the day, there are still fundamental issues with this offense that prevents them from having any sustained success. The Texans had goal-to-go on eight plays and gained more than three yards twice. The running game is horrible on a wet or dry field. They went 3 and out six consecutive times to end the game. They were outgained 420 to 190 yards. It took 5 TOs for them to win by 8 points. That is not winning football.

I enjoyed the game and will gladly take any unexpected win, but it's a stretch to think if Taylor was healthy this would be a playoff contender. Maybe they don't get outscored 117-19 on the road and the games might be more competitive but playoff contender or stringing together multiple wins? I don't think so.
The way the defense is turning over the opponent, this team would be fighting for the division title with Watson. They would have 6 or 7 wins right now.

Texian

Hall of Fame
How come I can't get any love for our QB ?
I'm flirting with the idea of naming my schnauzer Ollie, Tyrod. Well atleast until he starts and loses a game again.
Name your dog Dean Martin. At least that way he would be cool.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The way the defense is turning over the opponent, this team would be fighting for the division title with Watson. They would have 6 or 7 wins right now.
Hard to believe this team only had 9 turnovers last year. Rarely giving the offense a short field or flipping the field. Normally, you think turnovers come in spurts and you can't rely on them. But, Lovie's defenses have a reputation for turnovers.