Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from HTown @ Oilers wannabe

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Division games are different. Don't know why. Ball bounced Houston's way again & again.

I'm thankful for that.

But.... TDs were scored off script. Defense got 5 takeaways.

Lovie is coaching his butt off. Kelly can't even get the subs right.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Takeaways from HTown @ Oilers wannabe
Takeaways indeed. It only takes winning the turnover battle 5-0 to win a game, on a day the Texans have just 190 yards on offense, 62 of that in the 2nd half where 6 of their 8 2nd half possessions were 3 & out, and they still averaged 2.2 YPC on the ground, 1.7 minus Taylor’s runs.

Tannehill sucked balls, the Texans actually scored a couple of TDs, and that’s why you play the games.

In 2 Texans wins, 8 turnovers forced, 0 turnovers committed.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
If only we could get an OC that can get more out of the offense like Lovie Smith can with the defense.
I was thinking the same thing today. You can see the difference in coaching on both sides of the ball. Lovie Smith knows exactly what he wants to do on defense. Good or bad. His defenses have an identity and you can understand the method to the madness and the expected weaknesses.

To this day, I have no idea what this BOB/TK offense is trying to establish or their identity. Everything about this offense is bad. In the red zone, even when a good play occurs, it's too often the result of a QB going off script than a well design or executed play.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
If only we could get an OC that can get more out of the offense like Lovie Smith can with the defense.
Difference between a coach that turned a defense from one of the last in the league to one of the best in the league vs a coach that was kept on to try and make a QB happy.

Culley is still in up the air but I’ve actually been looking forward to seeing what Lovie can do if we ever get him some talent.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Winning #1 draft spot doesnt guarantee a fix to your team in the future and it certainly doesnt do any good today.

I can guarantee that even IF the Titans themselves arent embarrassed.... there are PLENTY of trash talking Titans fans that are humiliated due to the outcome.

That DOES do me some good today.

Do I truly believe that the Texans go on a miracle run and win? No...

IF my Texans suck, the joy I find is when the Cowboys or Titans lose.

When the Titans lose to us... a barely eligible NFL team... now THAT is a good day.

Besides, Im not sold that we would know how to properly use the #1 anyway.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was thinking the same thing today. You can see the difference in coaching on both sides of the ball. Lovie Smith knows exactly what he wants to do on defense. Good or bad. His defenses have an identity and you can understand the method to the madness and the expected weaknesses.

To this day, I have no idea what this BOB/TK offense is trying to establish or their identity. Everything about this offense is bad. In the red zone, even when a good play occurs, it's too often the result of a QB going off script than a well design or executed play.
I thought this was the Culley/Pep offense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Winning #1 draft spot doesnt guarantee a fix to your team in the future and it certainly doesnt do any good today.

I can guarantee that even IF the Titans themselves arent embarrassed.... there are PLENTY of trash talking Titans fans that are humiliated due to the outcome.

That DOES do me some good today.

Do I truly believe that the Texans go on a miracle run and win? No...

IF my Texans suck, the joy I find is when the Cowboys or Titans lose.

When the Titans lose to us... a barely eligible NFL team... now THAT is a good day.

Besides, Im not sold that we would know how to properly use the #1 anyway.
Even though they lost draft position, the fact that the Texans beat Possum Holler makes today a good day.

Dejaview

All Pro
I'm hoping Caserio is an upgrade from past GM's.
I believe he is. I also agree with the poster Hottoddie who in effect said we finally have a GM that has the nads to take out the trash. The purge has to come first followed by the build from the ashes. All I wanted this year was to see us implementing a go-forward plan and show some progress on it. Texans insist on wanting to run the football on O and creating takeaways on D while stopping the run. The takeaways are the only real positive currently. While running the football and stopping the run are a work in progress their failure to date at least has clearly pointed out what pieces need to be added and/or purged. The old adage is true…you build a winner on the foundation of the big guys on O and D. With nothing to work with NC has found a few good pieces and Lovie is getting players like Greenard and Blacklock to up their game. I’m actually excited to watch this hopefully come together in a Raven-Steeler mode going forward. And BTW, DC ain’t going nowhere soon. Edit. I will never trust Fairbairn on ST’s. I loved that Slye guy. Like the way he squared up on FG’s and it’s nice having a kicker that can give you a chance at a long FG.

Last edited:
Dave McGinnis, long time NFL coach and former head coach of the Cardinals has been the Titans radio color man for some years now. He warned the audience before the game that the Texans were really skilled on takeaways and that was something to look out for in this game. And it turned out to be prophetic. Tannehill probably had the worst game of his career (Miami days included) since at the end he was trying too hard to hit receivers that were inexperienced. A.J. Brown left the game early, came back, got injured again and that was it. Jets game all over again with no Brown or Julio Jones to throw to. And at least we had Derrick Henry in the backfield for the Jets game.

Amazingly, we made it interesting in the 4th but all the defense had to do was sit back and take advantage of a QB and his scrub receivers not on the same page. And yes, one of those receivers (Den Fitzpatrick)was a draft pick this year but had not sniffed the field until this game since he was deemed not ready. He had a TD yes so that was good wasn't ready to catch the ball when it mattered and it got Tannehill picked twice.

Our team has managed to win in spite of being a veritable M*A*S*H unit with all the injuries. But our luck ran out and now we have to face the surging Patriots next week and we still may not have our receiving corps.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I don't give a F* about draft position. What I do wanna see is this team improving and to play better than we think they are. They did exactly that today.
Did they? They still had just 190 of offense, 62 in the 2nd half, 6 of 8 2nd half possessions were 3 and out, they averaged 2.2 yards running the ball, RBs 1.7 YPC, 1 receiver had over 20 yards, and with a 5-0 turnover advantage only scored 13 points off of those 5 turnovers in a game they won by 9.

I get being pumped about a win, but other than Tannehill hemorrhaging turnovers and the Texans having none, there wasn’t a whole lot that was different.

The Jets beat the Titans with Henry, and losing the turnover battle. Just sayin’.

And FWIW, I don’t give a damn about draft position either. Still have to get the right player regardless of your spot in the draft order. Nothing is guaranteed, even #1 picks.

Reactions: JB

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
He ran the ball hard and picked up key first downs. Kept the chains moving and that’s all that matters. Especially when we all know what he is.
Oh, OK. He had 13 carries for 27 yards in the 2nd half and had 2 of their 4 2nd half 1st downs. Woohoo!!

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
That's just what I have been thinking for the last month even when the Texans try and tank they can't even do that right.
Actually I don't think anybody to this point has been trying to tank a single game,and I'm confidant the players & Culley and his coaching staff are giving it their all, because I'm sure all of them want to continue playing or coaching in the NFL in he future.
I was really happy with yesterdays victory because I was kinda vicariously imaging how they will feel Thursday as they sit down and enjoy
Thanksgiving dinner with family/friends and prepare for a home game that I expect them to be favored to win. It will be a real treat for our guys.
Now if this week Casserio gives coach Culley an imperative for Sundays game - start somebody besides Tyrod for the Jets game: OK that's throwing the game or tanking.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Now if this week Casserio gives coach Culley an imperative for Sundays game - start somebody besides Tyrod for the Jets game: OK that's throwing the game or tanking.
Why? Taylor made a couple of nice runs. Other than that, the offense looks as inept as it did with Mills. Mills isn’t the only problem. And Taylor isn’t the savior.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Did they? They still had just 190 of offense, 62 in the 2nd half, 6 of 8 2nd half possessions were 3 and out, they averaged 2.2 yards running the ball, RBs 1.7 YPC, 1 receiver had over 20 yards, and with a 5-0 turnover advantage only scored 13 points off of those 5 turnovers in a game they won by 9.

I get being pumped about a win, but other than Tannehill hemorrhaging turnovers and the Texans having none, there wasn’t a whole lot that was different.

The Jets beat the Titans with Henry, and losing the turnover battle. Just sayin’.

And FWIW, I don’t give a damn about draft position either. Still have to get the right player regardless of your spot in the draft order. Nothing is guaranteed, even #1 picks.
For probably only the 2nd time this season, they were the smarter team today. That's a huge improvement! The talent on this team isn't good, but I still want to see the team play hard and smart. They did both of those today.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Difference between a coach that turned a defense from one of the last in the league to one of the best in the league vs a coach that was kept on to try and make a QB happy.

Culley is still in up the air but I’ve actually been looking forward to seeing what Lovie can do if we ever get him some talent.
This is the draft to do exactly that. Even with this roster of young guys { many will not return}, I'd rather watch them than some vets going through the motions. Give me a roster of eager draft picks and UDFAs to go with a handful of seasoned veterans.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Dave McGinnis, long time NFL coach and former head coach of the Cardinals has been the Titans radio color man for some years now. He warned the audience before the game that the Texans were really skilled on takeaways and that was something to look out for in this game. And it turned out to be prophetic. Tannehill probably had the worst game of his career (Miami days included) since at the end he was trying too hard to hit receivers that were inexperienced. A.J. Brown left the game early, came back, got injured again and that was it. Jets game all over again with no Brown or Julio Jones to throw to. And at least we had Derrick Henry in the backfield for the Jets game.

Amazingly, we made it interesting in the 4th but all the defense had to do was sit back and take advantage of a QB and his scrub receivers not on the same page. And yes, one of those receivers (Den Fitzpatrick)was a draft pick this year but had not sniffed the field until this game since he was deemed not ready. He had a TD yes so that was good wasn't ready to catch the ball when it mattered and it got Tannehill picked twice.

Our team has managed to win in spite of being a veritable M*A*S*H unit with all the injuries. But our luck ran out and now we have to face the surging Patriots next week and we still may not have our receiving corps.
welcome to the board.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

A WR corps is kinda important for a QB. Also Tannehill was having trouble throwing in the middle of a rain storm. (Understandably)

But around these parts some like to say anything they can to make Tannehill seem like a subpar QB. Even though he's been very good since taking over for an ineffective Mariotta. It eats at these fans that Tannehill took the hated Titans to an AFCCG , while the Derrick fans can only wish that would've happened after Derrick and his TEAM crapped the bed with a 24-0 lead.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Games like these are why it is near impossible not win 3-4 games in a season, much go 0-fer
I think it’s important that the coaches win the games they should. For a team like ours, that means against the worst teams in the league. Not saying the Titans are among the worst teams in the league, but the team they fielded Sunday wasn’t very good.

If you think Culley is a placeholder it doesn’t matter. But if these coaches are part of the rebuild I’d like to see them do the best they can with what they got.

Otherwise, we’re wasting every drafted/UDFA that comes here.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
A WR corps is kinda important for a QB. Also Tannehill was having trouble throwing in the middle of a rain storm. (Understandably)

But around these parts some like to say anything they can to make Tannehill seem like a subpar QB. Even though he's been very good since taking over for an ineffective Mariotta. It eats at these fans that Tannehill took the hated Titans to an AFCCG , while the Derrick fans can only wish that would've happened after Derrick and his TEAM crapped the bed with a 24-0 lead.
You clearly show your bias, I have to say.

154 passing yards and 24 rushing yards in 2 games isn't "taking the team to the AFCG".
Tannehill rode Henry and the D to the AFCG.

And he disappeared again in the WC game last year, a loss.

Tannehill is a middle of the pack QB.

When the next QB ranking comes out, expect to see him fall below average.
If you take out the rookie QBs and a few young QBs out there this year, his ranking would have been much worse.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Another thing I find funny is that you use the injury excuse for Tannehill while you disregard the same issue with Mariota.

If not for his own injury and the fact that Henry had almost become known as a bust before his surge in 2019, the Titans would have looked better with Mariota.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
You clearly show your bias, I have to say.

154 passing yards and 24 rushing yards in 2 games isn't "taking the team to the AFCG".
Tannehill rode Henry and the D to the AFCG.

And he disappeared again in the WC game last year, a loss.

Tannehill is a middle of the pack QB.

When the next QB ranking comes out, expect to see him fall below average.
If you take out the rookie QBs and a few young QBs out there this year, his ranking would have been much worse.
When it comes to evaluating QB performances, you know Steel has one set of criteria for Derrick and another for every QB not named Derrick. Because it's totally illogical, it's pointless to even discuss or try to rationalize it.