Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from game 1 - Jags.

it was the 1st week folks...

The teams who were projected to be good and won will still look good & win (TB, AZ, KC, LAR,SEA)
The teams who were projected to be bad & lost will still be bad & lose (NYJ, NYG, DET, JAX, ATL)
The teams who lost that everyone expected to be good will come back this 2nd week looking better & will probably win (GB, BUF, TENN)
The teams everyone expected to be bad who won will come back down to earth a bit & probably lose (HOU, DEN, CAR, PHIL)

Then there are the teams who could go either way (DAL, LV, LAC, SF, INDY)

I would put the 49ers and the Broncos in the could go either way crowd.

BTW, Great list

it was the 1st week folks...

The teams who were projected to be good and won will still look good & win (TB, AZ, KC, LAR,SEA)
The teams who were projected to be bad & lost will still be bad & lose (NYJ, NYG, DET, JAX, ATL)
The teams who lost that everyone expected to be good will come back this 2nd week looking better & will probably win (GB, BUF, TENN)
The teams everyone expected to be bad who won will come back down to earth a bit & probably lose (HOU, DEN, CAR, PHIL)

Then there are the teams who could go either way (DAL, LV, LAC, SF, INDY)
I am with you on every team but Denver. At this point I am with stb, I think Denver could go either way. My gut tells me they will be be a pretty good team. Then again, the AFC West is shaping up to to be very competitive.

Last edited:
I myself am partial to the colored jerseys with white game pants.
I'm still waiting to see Red pants, with White Jerseys and Blue helmets. I also want to see Blue pants with Red jerseys and White helmets. Maybe even Blue pants with white jerseys and red helmets. Since the Texans colors are Red, White, and Blue, I want to see them go full out with that color scheme.

I'm still waiting to see Red pants, with White Jerseys and Blue helmets. I also want to see Blue pants with Red jerseys and White helmets. Maybe even Blue pants with white jerseys and red helmets. Since the Texans colors are Red, White, and Blue, I want to see them go full out with that color scheme.
I really liked the Bills liberty white they played in Sunday. I like the all white with white helmet.

Here is a really good film breakdown of Tim Kelly's play calling and you can definitely see the influence of Pep Hamilton and Culley.

"Still, all Texans fans can appreciate some signs of life from an offensive creativity standpoint after how stale most of the Bill O'Brien era was. Kelly is a familiar face in Houston, taking over as coordinator in 2019, but this was his first full offseason without O'Brien hovering around him, and we are already seeing what a difference that has made. That Week 1 game plan was as good as any for Kelly to prove his case as being a diamond in the rough and that the Texans may be scrappier than most of us imagined."

Film Room: Tyrod Taylor and the Pistol | Football Outsiders

Last edited:
Here is a really good film breakdown of Tim Kelly's play calling and you can definitely see the influence of Pep Hamilton and Culley.

"Still, all Texans fans can appreciate some signs of life from an offensive creativity standpoint after how stale most of the Bill O'Brien era was. Kelly is a familiar face in Houston, taking over as coordinator in 2019, but this was his first full offseason without O'Brien hovering around him, and we are already seeing what a difference that has made. That Week 1 game plan was as good as any for Kelly to prove his case as being a diamond in the rough and that the Texans may be scrappier than most of us imagined."

That's a good informative article. Thank you.

That's a good informative article. Thank you.
You're welcome. What's funny is some of these things many of us having been screaming for O'Brien to do and it seemed the louder we screamed, the more hard headed he became about his version of the Patriots' offense. Go figure.

Edit: To be fair. From time to time, we did see some of these things in a game. However, like the eternal "engineer", we would go weeks at a time without seeing those same concepts. Hopefully, Kelly will learn that you can use motion/formations and still run the same concept/plays on a weekly basis.

Last edited:
You're welcome. What's funny is some of these things many of us having been screaming for O'Brien to do and it seemed the louder we screamed, the more hard headed he became about his version of the Patriots' offense. Go figure.
It's not that... what I appreciate is the actual talking about the plays, the formations, the benefits of the pistol, that kind of thing. I feel like I actually learned something. I watched the same game & did not notice how often we used the pistol.

Edit: To be fair. From time to time, we did see some of these things in a game. However, like the eternal "engineer", we would go weeks at a time without seeing those same concepts. Hopefully, Kelly will learn that you can use motion/formations and still run the same concept/plays on a weekly basis.

aea2a79ccffe6cda872bc1ee2e614845.jpg

Good stuff Earl. Hopefully we see more of this and it results in more wins.

I'm just glad to see a team that W/L's mean more to them than anything else.

It's been a long time coming, I'm liking this, just gotta find the long term QB. (A Justin Herbert.) BTW, I was one of the few that was on board with trading the Sexual Predator for Herbert, due to the rookie contract. That's before all of this crap came out. (You gotta know people too)

Na, our blue helmets are perfect. We don’t need no tacky white helmets!

That’s what I’m looking for, consistency in play calling from game to game. I surely hope Kelley doesn’t employ that same type of philosophy under this regime.

I'm just glad to see a team that W/L's mean more to them than anything else.

It's been a long time coming, I'm liking this, just gotta find the long term QB. (A Justin Herbert.) BTW, I was one of the few that was on board with trading the Sexual Predator for Herbert, due to the rookie contract. That's before all of this crap came out. (You gotta know people too)

If W/L's meant more to them than anything else, then wouldn't they have DW4 playing despite his off the field issues?

If W/L's meant more to them than anything else, then wouldn't they have DW4 playing despite his off the field issues?

They haven't had this attitude with the the 3rd string QB playing. So my answer is no.

As I've said many times before, some things are more important than football.

Absolutely, unless they thought he’d act like anass & not “really play” for them.

Don’t forget, Nick Caserio thought he was going to be able to win over Watson. He hired a coach who was saying, “DeShaun Watson is our QB.” For a month before acknowledging the reality of the situation.

Things being as they are they got a QB who at the very least shouldn’t lose the team any games.

I was pleasantly surprised by the team's preparation and execution against a less than stellar opponent. I thought OC Kelly called a pretty good game with no major WTF calls and seemed like a completely different play caller than he was under O'Brien. Hardly surprising but still a very welcomed sight to see. Hopefully I'll be at the game this Sunday since I live about 45 minutes from the stadium.
A lot can sure be said about someone doing their job more confidently and focus with the threat of being second guessed all the time. I believe that is very likely the case with Kelly now that O’Brien isn’t around any longer.
“Kelly is a familiar face in Houston, taking over as coordinator in 2019, but this was his first full offseason without O'Brien hovering around him, and we are already seeing what a difference that has made…”

Pretty much what Doc and I was alluding to. As the season goes on, I believe this team’ll gel and things should really start getting interesting for sure! Exciting times mi amigos!

Back