Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from game 1 - Jags.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Kelly could've been calling these types of plays last yr but he wasn't.

I think we know what the main difference is, although I agree with you about the OL play. Dont forget about Britt and the huge upgrade at the C position and the OL calls. I think last yr the QB was making the protection calls at the LOS. Atleast that's what Brady did at Foxboro in the same offense.
Britt is my new favorite OL guy! He was the first one at Taylor’s side when he was knocked OB on the personal foul. He was the first one in the scrum there in the 4th quarter. Even ol Howard was talkin some smack and shovin some fools. I’ve beating the drum for some good ol fashioned, mean and nasty Dierdorf types on the line. Maybe Britt can be that guy for us.

And the refs better not have screwed Weeks out of another Pro Bowl trip, that was NOT a false start on him!! No way, he’s money!

austins23

Hall of Fame
I was pleasantly surprised by the team's preparation and execution against a less than stellar opponent. I thought OC Kelly called a pretty good game with no major WTF calls and seemed like a completely different play caller than he was under O'Brien. Hardly surprising but still a very welcomed sight to see. Hopefully I'll be at the game this Sunday since I live about 45 minutes from the stadium.
Represent!
I was there yesterday, and the tailgate lots were a ghost town. Ticket prices bottomed out at $5 for a nose bleed. You’d pay more for the fees than the ticket itself.
I loved the 3 TE groupings. I wish they would have ran it in to that side instead of the one on one throw to the corner of the end zone, but I get it.
Hell, I even saw a couple of TWO RB sets!! OB would never….

mws

Rookie
On top of that, they allowed two RBs avg 5 ypc. That’s not going to work against anyone but the worst team in the league
As much as I enjoyed the win realistically the Texans have a lot of holes in their defense. I lost count of how many of the Jaguars receivers were open & Lawrence either threw a bad pass or the receiver flat out dropped the ball. The Browns will make most of those plays.

The thing is I'm aware of the Texan's talent deposit but at the same time I'm excited so far because it appears we have a competent coaching staff who will get the most out of the players we have.

It took Billy O years to destroy the Texans so it is only reasonable to expect it to take more than one off season to get them competitive against the higher echelon teams.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Britt is my new favorite OL guy! He was the first one at Taylor’s side when he was knocked OB on the personal foul. He was the first one in the scrum there in the 4th quarter. Even ol Howard was talkin some smack and shovin some fools. I’ve beating the drum for some good ol fashioned, mean and nasty Dierdorf types on the line. Maybe Britt can be that guy for us.

And the refs better not have screwed Weeks out of another Pro Bowl trip, that was NOT a false start on him!! No way, he’s money!
Sure looked like a head jerk to me by weeks

badboy

Hall of Fame
I was there yesterday, and the tailgate lots were a ghost town. Ticket prices bottomed out at $5 for a nose bleed. You’d pay more for the fees than the ticket itself.
I loved the 3 TE groupings. I wish they would have ran it in to that side instead of the one on one throw to the corner of the end zone, but I get it.
Hell, I even saw a couple of TWO RB sets!! OB would never….
I remember saying oh my God there is a 2 running backs in blocking set

badboy

Hall of Fame
As much as I enjoyed the win realistically the Texans have a lot of holes in their defense. I lost count of how many of the Jaguars receivers were open & Lawrence either threw a bad pass or the receiver flat out dropped the ball. The Browns will make most of those plays.

The thing is I'm aware of the Texan's talent deposit but at the same time I'm excited so far because it appears we have a competent coaching staff who will get the most out of the players we have.

It took Billy O years to destroy the Texans so it is only reasonable to expect it to take more than one off season to get them competitive against the higher echelon teams.
2022 is a good year for defensive draft.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
This is what it looks like when you have a dumb QB trying to run the offense Brady used to run. The 2 offenses look nothing alike.
OB wasn't running Belichik's offense; just the verbiage and a number of plays.

The game is always evolving; it's not the same as it was when he was with the Pats.

The Texans offense under OB ran some inside and outside zone plays borrowing from Kubiak's playbook, for example.

The Pats didn't have that when OB was there

banned1976

sleeper mode
I don't like saying (writing) someone deserves something unless they really went out and did something to earn it. But after all the crap hardcore optimistic Texans fans (of which I am not one) have put up with, y'all deserve a little time to gloat.

I wasn't sure who would win this game. I thought it would be close. I expected a LOT of mistakes. And I thought those mistakes would be fairly equally distributed. But instead, for the most part the Texans played a well disciplined game (I watched it last night).

From an offensive standpoint, Kelly called a very good game. And the Texans defense was good. Not to take anything away from that defense, Urban Meyer played right into Lovie's hands. He didn't try to protect Lawrence at all with any type of consistency in the run game. I think Jacksonville rushed the ball 6 times in the first half. And even with his struggles, Meyer continued to try and pass the ball. TL threw the ball 51 times.

Even though I'm not a hardcore fan, I am still a Texans fan and I'm always happy with a win.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Not sure but if DW gets out of this, he should stick with Jilly, keep Momma happy and rebuild his brand in Florida. Miami rather than Jacksonville my guess
What happens if Hurts and Tua both explode this year?
Did anyone notice the various personnel groupings, offensive formations, pick plays and bunch formations?
there were several plays I thought we could easily get offensive pass interference. Number 85 did a good job of selling his route which really was a pick. Hey NE and Brady made a Dynasty with plays like that. If we can get away with it keep it going. I have a feeling after the league watches the game they will be calling it next week.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
I was pleasantly surprised by the team's preparation and execution against a less than stellar opponent. I thought OC Kelly called a pretty good game with no major WTF calls and seemed like a completely different play caller than he was under O'Brien. Hardly surprising but still a very welcomed sight to see. Hopefully I'll be at the game this Sunday since I live about 45 minutes from the stadium.
A lot can sure be said about someone doing their job more confidently and focus with the threat of being second guessed all the time. I believe that is very likely the case with Kelly now that O’Brien isn’t around any longer.

badboy

Hall of Fame
What happens if Hurts and Tua both explode this year?

there were several plays I thought we could easily get offensive pass interference. Number 85 did a good job of selling his route which really was a pick. Hey NE and Brady made a Dynasty with plays like that. If we can get away with it keep it going. I have a feeling after the league watches the game they will be calling it next week.
Explodes in a negative or explodes in a positive way? It's a risk either way and right now Hurts is looking like a positive and Tag is looking like a negative. Either way the owner of the dolphins should prefer the risk of Watson over the risk of tag. Just my opinion of course.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Explodes in a negative or explodes in a positive way? It's a risk either way and right now Hurts is looking like a positive and Tag is looking like a negative. Either way the owner of the dolphins should prefer the risk of Watson over the risk of tag. Just my opinion of course.
I agree in regards to the Dolphins but the Redskins, Falcons, and Giants could jump right into that group in a hurry. Giants would be the only team with (2) RD1 picks in this group. Outside of the Dolphins, the other three teams mentioned could be picking inside the top 10.

Redskins and Giants seem to have the defensive side of the ball addressed but could be a star QB1 away from becoming tough outs in the NFC East.

Falcons just have lots of holes and really need a QB1. Big question, would they give up the draft capital to have Watson in black & red?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
You have to like the intensity he brings to the team. Over the years, it seems the Texans' offensive skill players led by example and were not too vocal. I don't recall an offensive player having his loud, outgoing, personality.

The clip during pre-season about fine wine was cringy to me. I don't need to see more of it. That said, if he improves team moral and keeps people accountable, I'm all for it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The clip during pre-season about fine wine was cringy to me. I don't need to see more of it. That said, if he improves team moral and keeps people accountable, I'm all for it.
I didn't see the fine wine clip.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
I think Lovie was just daring the rookie to make the throws. No need to put things on tape that other teams could analyze unless it's necessary.

We'll see if this holds up in Game 2 or if he plays more different coverages against a more veteran QB.
Exactly. I like how Jordan is critiquing what was probably a purposeful move by Lovie. Everyone has to have a hot take.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I think Lovie was just daring the rookie to make the throws. No need to put things on tape that other teams could analyze unless it's necessary.

We'll see if this holds up in Game 2 or if he plays more different coverages against a more veteran QB.
What’s crazy is when the Texans have tried this in the past with rookie QBs or backups those players had career games.

What changed? Hmmm…

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
it was the 1st week folks...

The teams who were projected to be good and won will still look good & win (TB, AZ, KC, LAR,SEA)
The teams who were projected to be bad & lost will still be bad & lose (NYJ, NYG, DET, JAX, ATL)
The teams who lost that everyone expected to be good will come back this 2nd week looking better & will probably win (GB, BUF, TENN)
The teams everyone expected to be bad who won will come back down to earth a bit & probably lose (HOU, DEN, CAR, PHIL)

Then there are the teams who could go either way (DAL, LV, LAC, SF, INDY)

Texansballer74

The Marine
it was the 1st week folks...

The teams who were projected to be good and won will still look good & win (TB, AZ, KC, LAR,SEA)
The teams who were projected to be bad & lost will still be bad & lose (NYJ, NYG, DET, JAX, ATL)
The teams who lost that everyone expected to be good will come back this 2nd week looking better & will probably win (GB, BUF, TENN)
The teams everyone expected to be bad who won will come back down to earth a bit & probably lose (HOU, DEN, CAR, PHIL)

Then there are the teams who could go either way (DAL, LV, LAC, SF, INDY)
The Jaguars were picked to win this game. And we know it’s the first game. I jus don’t understand why some of this fan base acts like it’s a sin to celebrate our team win. I just heard old girl that’s on Herd talking about pump the breaks. I’m like nobody is saying the Texans are going to the SB after one freaking game.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The Jaguars were picked to win this game. And we know it’s the first game. I jus don’t understand why some of this fan base acts like it’s a sin to celebrate our team win. I just heard old girl that’s on Herd talking about pump the breaks. I’m like nobody is saying the Texans are going to the SB after one freaking game.
fair enough. But that post wasn't meant to tamp down on those celebrating the team's win..it was more to say that there's going to be a regression to the mean in the coming weeks for everyone so don't get to high or low either way.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
fair enough. But that post wasn't meant to tamp down on those celebrating the team's win..it was more to say that there's going to be a regression to the mean in the coming weeks for everyone so don't get to high or low either way.
Kinda hard not to get too high after the way they closed out that first half.

After they kicked that field goal I was like, damn them Jags are a poorly coached, bad football team.

Then the defense force the 3 & out though we normally allow rookie QBs to get their Brady on in those situations. & the Texans go 69 yards for a TD... I couldn't help it.

gafftop

All Pro
I hope that this positive feeling is still there after the Cleveland game and Tyrod is healthy, but I think we will be brought back to reality.
Good is butthead is gone.
Bad is Easterbutt here and McNair still the owner.
jmo

Texansballer74

The Marine
Brother no one is not high on the Texans like that. Just happy to see them actually play a complete game. They also executed their plan almost to a T. Now will they be able to do that every game, like you said No, but when things works as planned and they do come out victorious. High fives there will be.

Hey it’s football so those highs and lows will be there all season long. Lol