Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from game 1 - Jags.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
we look decent ...but it might be long season

esp if Taylor and vernon will miss sime time or hopefully there just nixed our defense is in a a loooong season

i new we would win because Treveor is a rookie and this was his first day at the job i knew everything would be slighty new but hopefully he will end up line blaine gabbert and just be really bad aganist the texans

either i think we are still on track for a top 5 pick

orrr maybe something crazy happens and we just win and win and win and dammit watson come on back for some snaps dammit screw your beef with the FO come on back for your team mates !!!!

Texazan

Our HOF 34
After what I saw today and the schedule we have we still win maybe 6 games, maybe 7? I want a full tank but NFL players can‘t “walk“ through a game due to the physical nature
and the majority are playing for their next contract.
How about grades.
Defense: B - Tampa 2 FTW, it’s JAX but solid performance, my wife thinks Lovie is adorably cute with that grey beard so he gets points from me.
Offense: B - loved the play mix and not settling in the first half
STs: A - PS kicker who out performed and no broken plays on punts or KOs
Coaching: A (yes an A because the bar was so low but the staff did perform well)

Last edited:

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
yeah our players and FO are not even thinking about tanking on anything anymore there going 1000% and will try and win ever single game

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Well guys that was sweet, and congrats to Culley for winning his first game as an NFL HC. Come to think of it his first game ever
as a HC and he's currently in first place in the AFC South ! I hope coach knocks down a couple brewskis tonight and has a good
celebration.
I agree, he’s a really good guy, life long NFL guy, I hope he enjoys it because it’s going to get bumpy but I‘m happy for him.

Number19

Hall of Fame
A few take-a-ways from the game:

Our defensive backfield is vulnerable. This will prevent us from being more competitive against the top tier teams.

Our front four kept pretty good pressure on Lawrence but I'd liked to see more sacks than the one Mercilus got.

I liked the offensive play calling.

The Tyrod Taylor I saw today is the one I expected to see. It was also good to see him throwing the deep ball. He's going to be a running threat the defense will have to account for.

I liked the fact we kept our foot on the gas pedal rather than letting off after we got the lead. We scored in all four quarters.

We had 3 take-a-ways/interceptions.

We continued, from pre-season, to play a mostly clean, mistake free game.

This win just reinforced my prediction we can win 6-8 games. Now I'm looking forward to next week against Cleveland, a top tier team.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I said it weeks ago, this team is poised to win 7-9 games.
Just got to find 6-8 teams worse than we are. Hopefully Jacksonville doesn't figure a few things out before we play them again.

but we will compete offensively as long as the run game is working.
Luckily there's a lot of improvement to be made from what we saw. Maybe Cannon being out all preseason was part of that, & working in a new Center. Tunsil needs to find some reason to hate the guy across from him.

Dejaview

All Pro
So far so good with me. this team will obviously be challenged as the roster is upgraded but that doesn’t mean they cant improve things they can control this season. Already matched our INT’s from last year in game one. Eliminated many penalties due to lack of discipline. Had a few that will be excellent cannon fodder for DC this week. Collins for one. Howard’s pre snap blunder. I liked DC’s field presence. Never looked overwhelmed like we’ve endured the last few years. need to see Lovie make some zone adjustments this week. We just need to continue with this and put some space between this season and the last. Didn’t like the game ending series but I believe Lovie just wanted to get off the field without any more injuries. Also NC did a good job finding a K on short notice that he may be able to capitalize on.

michaelm

vox nihili
My general observation is that I saw a team that looked competent in all three phases. Not great but solid. They looked well coached and well prepared.
I didn't notice a single instance of wtf decisions/moments that had been a hallmark of the previous regime.
Whatever their final record turns out to be, I get the feeling that they will not be an embarrassment on the field this season.
I don't feel great about their overall prospects this year but it seems like a solid product that I can support, and not feel like the butt of jokes wearing their colors.
And that's a pleasant departure from my feelings right up until game time.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Year 1 of a highly successful college coach with 1st pick in the NFL draft used on a QB so you can take your head out of your hands. :)
So let me get this straight…

A “Texan fan” is excited about a division rival having a highly successful college coach and a 1st pick QB? And compares them to Dallas Cowboys Hall of Fame QB and Coach.

What is wrong with this picture?

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
What appeared to be brewing in the preseason manifested itself today on the field. THAT to me is huge. They were in command of who they believe they were capable of being, and that itself will breed more confidence as games go on. Now, next week will be a good test for them. I don’t expect a game like today by no means, but I do bet they will be at least competitive…and that beats anything we’ve seen for awhile.

Koolaid Kid signing off. :gotexans1

So let me get this straight…

A “Texan fan” is excited about a division rival having a highly successful college coach and a 1st pick QB? And compares them to Dallas Cowboys Hall of Fame QB and Coach.

What is wrong with this picture?
I get the Texans fan part. However, while the Jags are not likely to be a repeat of the Cowboys 90's Dynasty, there is precedent for it. It could happen.

Of coarse the Jags don't have the kind of draft haul coming up that the Cowboys had and it is doubtful that even if they did that they would draft as well as those Cowboys did. Not likely but than again those Cowboys were not expected to become the team they became even with the draft picks they got from Minnesota.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What appeared to be brewing in the preseason manifested itself today on the field. THAT to me is huge. They were in command of who they believe they were capable of being, and that itself will breed more confidence as games go on. Now, next week will be a good test for them. I don’t expect a game like today by no means, but I do bet they will be at least competitive…and that beats anything we’ve seen for awhile.

Koolaid Kid signing off. :gotexans1
Really hard to say how much our defense shut down their run game. They ran for 4+ a carry & the score got away from them, but they couldn’t maintain drives.

If the Texans can do something similar & put the game on Mayfield’s shoulders... there may be a chance.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I get the Texans fan part. However, while the Jags are not likely to be a repeat of the Cowboys 90's Dynasty, there is precedent for it. It could happen.

Of coarse the Jags don't have the kind of draft haul coming up that the Cowboys had and it is doubtful that even if they did that they would draft as well as those Cowboys did. Not likely but than again those Cowboys were not expected to become the team they became even with the draft picks they got from Minnesota.
I am just saying:

I am sure the AFC East was happy when Mac Jones fell to the Patriots.

Or the NFC North was happy Rodgers was able to move forward with the Packers.

Who gets happy about a division rival’s success?

Takeaway: these are legit team-mates and ballers competing to prove everyone wrong... a lot of these guys know what it takes (and have experienced) to be a part of a successful club/season/franchise. Starts at the top and works its way down. Can't really find one negative thing about the team/staff. Grateful this class of Texans staff/players are here to ball to the best of their ability and come into a sinking franchise to do what they know how to do without any previous noise/hiccup dictate the mindset. This is an underrated team & staff by all accounts. I would not be surprised at all if they: A) win AFCS and/or B) deep run to AFCD or AFCC game(s)...

LikeMike

Veteran
What a frustrating game. On the one hand - heck yeah! It's been a while since a game has been this much fun and the team surprised me in a good way. On the other hand - I still see almost no building blocks on this team. We need help at every position - for this we need a good draft position. I now kinda fear an 8-8 season and a mediocre draft pick. But I also am not complaining, when this team trys to win and actually does it in a very convincing form.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I echo much of what has been said, but I would add Blacklock looked much better than last year. He got pressure on many of his snaps and one of them led to a INT. Coaching matters as does having guys in their more natural positions. Cooks for a little guy really fought for the ball. And no way should Nico been called for PI, that was a equal fight and he had his feet in, kid was robbed of his first TD

gafftop

All Pro
Emphasizes just how pitiful the whole fricking franchise was under buttchin. Obviously still a little upset how he screwed up the Texans for so long while he was here and even after he left. But Calboy let him do it. Pleasantly surprised but this team is in full rebuild mode. Always nice to win vs sucking.
Just my opinion as always.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
My take away? Urban Meyer did not have his team ready. A lot of unforced errors.
In a nutshell, one team had a game plan and executed it. One team looked lost.

I always give the players the bulk of the credit when things go right. But, the game looked pretty easy for the Texans players. Amendola has a couple of practices, but looks like he's been here 5 years. Hargreaves has been one of the worst CBs in the league, but the Jags can't figure out how to exploit him. The Texans coaching was head and shoulders above their competition.

If I were a Jags fan, I would be upset at how Meyer handled the end of the 1st half. Your rookie QB had thrown a pick, and was wildly inaccurate on several throws. He needed to get into the locker room and get settled. Your defense somehow forces a punt at midfield with 3 minutes left. Run the ball, burn some clock, and get into halftime. Nope, Meyer has his rookie chuck another pick. 3 points later, with a minute left, Meyers trys to go down the field again. That fails miserably, and the Texans scored again. Turning a 10 point deficit into what turned out to be a blowout.

This is the NFL, Urban. No Ball States on the schedule.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Urban Meyer and Trevor Lawrence Get a Rude Welcome to the NFL
The Jacksonville Jaguars were trounced by Houston in a disappointing pro debut for the coach and quarterback transitioning from the college game

Urban Meyer and Trevor Lawrence looked like they would have the softest easing into the NFL imaginable. The first-year head coach and rookie quarterback for the Jacksonville Jaguars had the Houston Texans, the team projected to be among the worst in the entire league, on the schedule in the season’s opening week.

Then the Texans steamrolled the Jaguars.

Playing against a team that was 4-12 last season and is currently missing star quarterback Deshaun Watson this year, the Jaguars lost 37-21 in a game that highlighted the rocky transition two of the most hyped figures in the NFL face as they make the jump from college football to professional football.
“Yeah, obviously sucks. Losing’s always hard,” Lawrence said afterward. “We can’t let this snowball.”
***https://www.wsj.com/articles/jacksonville-jaguars-urban-meyer-trevor-lawrence-problems-11631500505?mod=hp_featst_pos5

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Urban does not have a Herschel Walker, don't see the greatest trade it happening. We're talking year 1 not year 2, 3 or 4.
Urban also doesn't have Plan B free agency available to quickly restock his roster with starters like Novacheck, James Washington, Vinson Smith and others.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club