Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from game 1 - Jags.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Well I was expecting a win but not like this! Culley did his homework.
And I am liking Lovie Smith's D. Great to see some takeaways for a change.
Taylor looks competent - obviously has a rapour with Culley. Nice to see a mature QB at the helm.
Ingram was as advertised. Should have a good season.
Brandon Cooks had a nice game
I would like to see the online improve - and they should as they play more together.
It will be interesting to see what the naysaying talking heads have to say about the Texans.
I'll open it up.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
My take away? Urban Meyer did not have his team ready. A lot of unforced errors.

Trevor Lawrence doesn’t look ready. Dude had some nice throws, but he had just as many WTF throws. Gonna take a minute for him it appears.

Credit to the Texans that they did look ready and they capitalized on every advantage afforded them.

37 points? Are you kidding?

I don’t like the different RB on every play. Doesn’t give anyone a chance to get into a groove. Happy to see someone besides DJ get the bulk of the work. Ingram with a real nice game.

Pharaoh Brown with a big game and an incredible catch. Surprised to see Amendola in and making plays having only been on the team for a couple of days.

Tyrod Taylor with a great game.

Will focus more on the defense on the rewatch, but the pass rush seemed nonexistent, and that is going to be an issue when they face better QBs.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Glad Lawrence didn't throw for 300 yards & 3 TDs... but thekid looks like he's going to be pretty good. If he starts looking at Jones more often than Chark (who is a talented mofo) & his TEs...

Two rushing TDs... feels like a dream.

Three INTs, taking advantage of the rookie QB, nice... nice.

I liked Vincent Taylor. The DL didn't get the pressure I wanted to see... two holding calls & a couple of big hits on their QB (penalties not withstanding) I like.

Didn't see the Philip Lindsay I wanted to see. Ingram better than I expected. DJ... he is who we thought he was.

Culley's team was prepared, ready to play & didn't commit too many dumb penalties.

Texian

Hall of Fame
They thoroughly beat an ill prepared team. Next on the agenda is beating a really good team, then we'll have something to talk about. But they certainly looked better in their first game than I expected them to.
Jags reminded me of Jimmy Johnson's 1989 1 - 15 Cowboys.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
They thoroughly beat an ill prepared team. Next on the agenda is beating a really good team, then we'll have something to talk about. But they certainly looked better in their first game than I expected them to.
Oh yeah - I ain't drinking no coolaid yet by a longshot.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
They exceeded my expectations. Thought it might take 3 or so games to reach 37 points scored.

Culley has the team well prepared and playing hard. Very nice to see a disciplined football team playing hard for 60 minutes.

The announcers said it was the first time in 4 seasons that the Texans had scored 27 points in the first half.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Realistically the Jags may have their franchise QB but they were still the worst team in the league last year and they didn’t improve that much in the off season.

That said it was very nice to see the Texans actually look like they did something preparation wise in the off season instead of looking like a high school team in the first game. I’m not ready to declare Culley and Caserio the saviors of Houston football but given what they are trying to make chicken salad out I do have to give them credit.

At the very least Culley didn’t look like he was completely in over his head and that the theory that he has been passed over for the HC job all these years for non-football reasons might have some merit.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Areas need to improve:

Run blocking. Teams expect the run but have to impose your will. This should improve as the OL gels and Tunsil/Cannon in particular get acclimated in game shape.

Pass rush. I think the Jags have an above average offensive line so not completely surprised by the issues rushing the passer today. Lovie still managed to confuse the rookie enough times to scheme up turnovers despite a less than stellar pass rush.

Areas I am pleasantly surprised with:

Tyrod’s deep passing. I did not expect this team to connect on as many deep pass attempts as they did. Tyrod did a great job buying time in the pocket for receivers to get open. His connection with Cooks was automatic in the first half and great one handed catch by Pharaoh Brown.

Team tackling on defense. Everyone flying to the ball making tackles. Loved the energy.

Turnovers. 3 ints and a forced fumble by Terrence Mitchell that went out of bounds. This team aims to take the ball away.

Joey Slye. Connected on all 3 FGs and all 4 XPs. Rest up Fairbairn. Slye looks good.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Realistically the Jags may have their franchise QB but they were still the worst team in the league last year and they didn’t improve that much in the off season.

That said it was very nice to see the Texans actually look like they did something preparation wise in the off season instead of looking like a high school team in the first game. I’m not ready to declare Culley and Caserio the saviors of Houston football but given what they are trying to make chicken salad out I do have to give them credit.

At the very least Culley didn’t look like he was completely in over his head and that the theory that he has been passed over for the HC job all these years for non-football reasons might have some merit.
I think experience always has its plus.
Culley may not have been a HC, but he's been in the league for a long time.
And he got help from Lovie and RC.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I think experience always has its plus.
Culley may not have been a HC, but he's been in the league for a long time.
And he got help from Lovie and RC.
Right, people are forgetting 2 things, one that Lovie, dispute his time in Tampa, has a pretty good NFL record for turning defenses around particularly as the DC and not HC. Two that both Reid and Harbough, two of the best to do it, have said that Culley was ready and just needed the shot he never got.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Right, people are forgetting 2 things, one that Lovie, dispute his time in Tampa, has a pretty good NFL record for turning defenses around particularly as the DC and not HC. Two that both Reid and Harbough, two of the best to do it, have said that Culley was ready and just needed the shot he never got.
The only concern I have with Culley is whether he can be innovative to put up a game plane for the top tier teams.
Obviously, he's learned enough from the HCs he had worked under, but things always change in the NFL.
It was good to see a number of things outside of OB's putrid play book today.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The only concern I have with Culley is whether he can be innovative to put up a game plane for the top tier teams.
Obviously, he's learned enough from the HCs he had worked under, but things always change in the NFL.
It was good to see a number of things outside of OB's putrid play book today.
True both that’s true of all coaches. I mean look at how BB is doing now without Brady.